Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

The day I lost $2,000 . . .

Default The day I lost $2,000 . . .

It was today , just now, i feel like crying, i probably will later. . .

Half of me is quite relieved ( sic i know ) I can take the break i deserve...

I'll have to re-deposit in September, that word hurts so much "Re-Deposit", I havn't had to use that word since May04 and that was a bonus

I'm devestated, simply devestated, I'm just so glad I have Mrs Toasty, she will make me feel better tomorrow.

Don't do a "Toasty" don't hit tilt and blow your Bankroll :'(
    Poker is all about the long long long long long long long term . . .
    Barney's back . . . back again . . .

Default Re: The day I lost $2,000 . . .

Ouch. It really hurt to read that. I'm sorry Toasty.

I'm sure things will get better for you.

I wish you all the luck.
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    Maybe Toasty gets a reprieve . . .

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Button ($92.60)
    SB ($222)
    Toasty ($383.35)
    UTG ($84)
    MP ($43.90)

Preflop: Toasty is BB with Ts, Qs.
    UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls $2, SB raises to $4, Toasty raises to $10, Button calls $8, SB calls $6.

Flop: ($30) Jc, 9d, 8s (3 players)
    SB bets $12, Toasty calls $12, Button calls $12.

Turn: ($66) Ac (3 players)
    SB bets $25, Toasty raises to $50, Button raises to $70.6 (All-In), SB raises to $200 (All-In), Toasty calls $150.

River: ($536.60) 6d (3 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $536.60
    Main Pot: $277.80, between Button, SB and Toasty. > Pot won by Toasty ($277.80).
    Pot 2: $258.80, between SB and Toasty. > Pot won by Toasty ($258.80).

Results in white below:
    SB shows 8h 8c (three of a kind, eights).
    Toasty shows Ts Qs (straight, queen high).
    Button shows Qc Ah (one pair, aces).
    Outcome: Toasty wins $536.60.
    Congrats!

It can happen quick at that level.
    "Limit poker is a science, but no-limit is an art..."
    What exactly happened?
    Sorry to hear that Toasty. Nice that you won a great pot after that, though.

And I've been there as well. Not in one day, but I have lost that much of previous winnings over the course of a few really bad days. It feels like someone punched you in the gut each time your bankroll takes a significant knock when you're that cold.

Hope you get it all turned around soon. This game can be a cruel one at times.
    Sorry to hear that Toastman , Im with Fnord what put you on tilt? Bad Luck? Bad Beats? Bad Concentration? I thought you were moving up to 5/10 with your BR, not High buyin NL? Nice comeback with the last hand, though.
    Holy crap I cant play against Yoda!!
    The day I lost $2k. Oh wait that 'll never happen. Why? Because I'd never have that much to wager (Why did I remarry? ). At least not until I hit the lotto.

Sorry for your loss, but it looks like you're more than capable of buildling it back up. What? Almost a 1/4 of the way there already. Good luck to you.

Big Lick
    Well I have $427 left, I've only been playing with profits so it hasn't damaged me financially. Going to take a week off come back and rebuild.

How it happened was 5/10 (Full Ring, I usually have less variance) for about 8 hours, almost no starting hands, got Jacks twice and lost is about as good as it got. Poker Tracker has me up when I have voluntary put money in the pot but shows a loss of about $600. I then thought "hmm, not going well today better drop down a level, but wait if I'm due a good run, why not have it at a higher level". joined a 15/30 quickly lost another $500.

I was already on TILT by this point and started playing NL and $100/$200 SnGs to no avail.

Just glad I at least have some money left to have something to rebuild with.

I won't be posting for a couple of weeks so as the Mrs says "Lucky Chips" guys.

I also have the worse hangover I've had for a while that's right I played under the influance. It didn't effect my first 5/10 game (VPIP 17.5%), I've checked PT and the play is good. But the rest of the night with the SnGs and NL is due to TILT and alcohol (What a great mix).

I'm really depressed I hate losing money due to disapline, I should have finished down yesterday about $800 not $1600. I know better than that and I feel like shit because of it

1 - I'm on the wagon.

2 - I'm not playing for a week or two.

3 - I think i'll re-read the psychology of poker by alan shoonemaker.

4 - I'm going to read a normal book this week (I have a week off work ) "The Davinci Code".

Not sure which poker game I'm going to come back to, Limit has been very frustrating. I may return to SnGs and NL ring games. I've been playing more O8 recently and I'm really starting to enjoy it.

In fact I have made up my mind I'm going to play 7CS and O8 at the low limits, I think all of these targets i've been setting have removed some of the fun (which is why I play) so I won't be winning a lot and I won't be loseing a lot but at least I can enjoy learning two new games

See you in 2 weeks dudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty
    I then thought "hmm, not going well today better drop down a level, but wait if I'm due a good run, why not have it at a higher level". joined a 15/30 quickly lost another $500.

I was already on TILT by this point and started playing NL and $100/$200 SnGs to no avail.
    That explains it right there. Bad Toasty! The full table 2+2 sharks play 15/30.

Good luck rebuilding man. I hope next time you're able to get back to 5/10 and stay long enough to learn to destroy it!
    4 - I'm going to read a normal book this week (I have a week off work ) "The Davinci Code".
    On a side note, my fiance loved this book. One of my patients also thought it was fantastic. I never read it, only because the subject material doesn't really hold any interest for me.

Sorry about the beats. I'm sure you will recover
    a rap to cheer up toasty:

i'm mc fish
    and i'd like to say
    i'm really sorry
    about toasty's bad day

even with the clowns
    he is my bud
    and i do really wish
    that he had won

but he'll be back
    this much is true
    with a pile of chips
    as big as my shoe!

word!

(assorted scratching sounds, etc)
    i hate what i have become to escape what i hated being...
    {This post has been removed}
    Really sorry to hear about this. But it happens to everyone eventually, all you can do is learn and move on. And just as others have said here, it's obvious that you have the capability to build it all back up and then some. Good luck, I'm sure you're going to go back and crush 'em.
    I know how you feel, I lost about 1/2 my bankroll due to the worst run of cards last night, it makes you feel absolutely awful.

Sometimes the only thing, and the best thing, is to take a break, I know the last time I did I came back and had about 2 weeks of winning sessions.
    I also have the worse hangover I've had for a while that's right I played under the influance. It didn't effect my first 5/10 game (VPIP 17.5%), I've checked PT and the play is good. But the rest of the night with the SnGs and NL is due to TILT and alcohol (What a great mix).
    I'm sorry to say this Toasty, but i can't feel bad for you... for the exception of the large sum of money you lost. I've read all of the post you've wrote at FTR cause they are very helpful at improving my game. You've been playing with profits, which more than tells me you outplay most of the fish in the pond. I can't believe you've let yourself play under the influence. If you lost due to TILT only, i can say that it happens to every single one of us at some in time. But that wasn't it. I can only say this, i think it's actually a good thing that you lost because you were under the influence. Now you won't make the same mistake again, on top of that, you now clearly know you can outplay most opponents when you are sober. Sorry Toasty, i didn't mean to be nasty or anything.. i just thought i should point out strongly what you are already admitting.
    I hope you make a big come back in a week.
    Hi Dudes, thanks for all the msgs of support! I lub you guys

My week off went well, I managed to read "The Davinci Code", an amazing book and also by the same author "Angels and Demons" and a third one "Deception Point".

Didn't managed to stay away from poker all week though, but the few times I did play went well and my bankroll has recovered enough to safely play 2/4 at the 300BB rule. I played a little O8 7CS and SnGs too.

I'm going to continue this laid back approach mixing up my game for a couple of months and cashing out whatever I have over 300BBs at 2/4.

I'm going to try to not dedicate every waking moment to poker, I'm returning to the gym too, poker isn't one of the more healthier hobbies to have and I havn't been to the gym many times in the last three months as I've been dedicating all my time to poker

See ya'll on the forums

The New and improved Toasty
    Good to see you bounce back, Toasty.