Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Waking early and late nights

Default Waking early and late nights

Been trying to find advice on this and my google skills are lacking. Plenty of sites that tell you the advantages for starting your day early, plenty of sites with advice on how to get it to become a habit, but they all presume you can have a set schedule. I can't. I'd like to get to a point where my usual time for getting up is 6am (perhaps earlier). I'm definately someone who needs sleep, and have gotten into the habit of usually just getting up whenever I wake up (or a bit later), usually around 7:30. As well as tips and tricks to actually help you get up, the main advice seems to be to work to it gradually, maybe getting up 15 minutes earlier every day or two until you reach your goal. My sticking point, is that with basketball games at least 2 nights per week, I can end up having a couple of late nights. This week for instance both Weds and Thurs nights I didn't get to bed till after mid-night.

I guess I'm wondering, do I still force myself to get up at the allotted time, and maybe catch up sleep by going to bed earlier the next chance I get, or with an afternoon nap. Or do I allow myself to sleep later to get around 7-8 hrs sleep and just get back to earlier waking on the days I can get to bed at a decent time.

Anyone have any experience or advice?
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    Have kids, 6am start guaranteed day after day after day after long, long day.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Ben has two young kids already with great little Aussie Accents too.

For me You have to just keep getting up. You will learn to sleep early much later than it takes to get used to getting up early. getting to sleep early was always harder than I thought it should be. If you were on shiftwork you would slowly find your schedule and nap when tired.
    Focus on getting to sleep. Small snack an hour before bed, no blue light, no bright light, room is cool, dark and quiet. Have your bookcase right next to your bed so you can always find something to read while falling asleep.

I have a couple of books right now that just zap me of every scratch of strength for staying conscious. Sleeping soundly is the best recipe for waking up 8 hours later.
    Or you know, 4 or 5 belts of whiskey and sleep where you lay.
    The reading idea is good, something with short chapters that makes you think. The Prince is my current bedtime read and does the job perfectly.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Yeah, I've got a 4 and a 6 year old, but they've both been taught to stay in bed till 6 (usually works), and if they do get up early they normally crawl into our bed nice and quietly. When they were younger...well, my wife mustn't sleep as deeply as me since she'd leap out of bed at the first sound and have them sorted before I even realized they were up.

The advice on sleeping earlier is good, and it is something I struggle a bit with (I get very tempted to get back up and do something if it's taking me a while to doze off). The main question was when I don't have a choice and I just get to bed late (sport being the main reason, but any time I'm home late for any reason). Jyms, you think just force myself up anyway and catch up on the sleep?

I always read before sleeping. When I was younger I'd read for hours in bed, now its often just a chapter or two.
    Just dipping my toes back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Or you know, 4 or 5 belts of whiskey and sleep where you lay.
    Lightweight
    Whatever my preferred wake up time, I am sure to be in bed 8 hours before(or however many hours of sleep you need). So if you want to be awake by 10:30 am, go to bed by 2:30 am. Even if you toss and turn, unable to fall asleep, still get up at 10:30 am. You will sleep well the next night.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    If you want to fall asleep you need to prepare for it. Rilla's advice is good on that.

From what I've read, even those early morning advocates don't get up at the same time every day. They recognize that life can't be perfectly fine and it's ok to sleep an extra 30 minutes or hour when you need to. Hold yourself to realistic standards and you'll be more successful with your goals.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    Lightweight
    Hmm?

I meant belt like a cowboy belt of bullets but of whiskeys.