Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

HALP: Home Wireless Network #$^#$# issue

Default HALP: Home Wireless Network #$^#$# issue

I have a D-Link wireless G router. I had a D-Link G USB connection for my laptop until I threw it against the wall because it wouldn't work. It would say the router strength is 90%, but couldn't get an IP address. I can connect no problem to other people's networks (or could).

I went to the store and bought a Belkin USB G, same thing. My router's signal is strong as shit, but it won't get an IP. I am on a neighbor's connection right now.

WTF?!?!?

Best I can tell my USB ports are 2.0, but that's hard to confirm. I've had 3-4 roomates/visitors who have had zero problems connection to my router.

... so much for a free weekend dedicated to putting in hands
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    It wont get an IP?

You router can't get an IP or your computer wont?

Try manually setting an IP address from your own computer in control panel.

Go to networks/right click properties on ur wireless and go down to tcp/ip properties.

Make sure that everything is set up correctly on ur router: 192.168.0.1 or whatevs ur router default is.
    My laptop would "connect" to the router, but would time out on "acquiring an IP"

I found my old wireless card and got it to work. So I guess I'll take the shitty belkin one back and buy another model of the d-link one I broke. Maybe it was just bad? If it doesn't work I can always return that too.

I don't like my old card because I have to use the windows wireless utility to do WPA. The win-zero app tilts me.

I think I tried issuing a static IP in the past, but I'll def keep that in mind if I have issues with the new one.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")