Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Anyone here listen to Jazz? Need artist ideas

Canada; the country all tucked away down there...

Default Anyone here listen to Jazz? Need artist ideas

I just started listening to Jazz but I need more artists to listen to (usually listen to death/Black metal).
    My general taste in jazz is; instrumental (no singing plz) and it can't be shitty contemporary jazz like Kenny G.

I have some Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis and Art Blakely. I like the drumming to be fairly predominant although its not a requirement.
    Jamie Cullum.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Check out Dave Brubeck / Dave Brubeck Quartet. If you're getting into jazz time-signatures, this guy is (was?) brilliant. The melodies can be light and playful, though, so it might be a turn off, given your background.

Wes Montgomery was an excellent jazz guitarist who relied heavily on parallel octaves in his lines (never taught himself to use a pick; still world class).

I don't know if it qualifies as straightforward jazz, but Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are a trio of exquisitely talented musicians whom are heavily influenced by world music and jazz. Bela plays a banjo, so it's banjo-based jazz (he calls it Blue-bop)... but if nothing else check them out for the bass player. Victor Wooten is among the best to ever live, and experiencing his skills is a must.

Well, there's 3 off the top of my head. Enjoy.
    Well, asking for jazz suggestions is like asking for rock suggestions. It's a massive genre with a million and a half sub-genres and it's tough to know if we should recommend Bob Dylan or Mogwai or Dream Theater or what have you. How avante-garde are you willing to go would be a good start.

Based on who you named, it seems to be more melodic Jazz standardy type of stuff, in which case Duke Ellington seems like the obvious next place to go imo. My personal favorite of the classics is Oscar Peterson.

The fact that you come from a metal background makes me wonder of Bohren & Der Club of Gore is the perfect suggestion or the worst suggestion. They do soul-suckingly melancholic ambience as good as anyone, but it might also be slow and boring as shit for a metalhead. It's kinda like if your neighbor left for vacation with his turntable playing a jazz standards record on 1/2 speed, and all you can hear (or feel?) through the walls is the gruff, brassy whisper of Herbie Hancock's demon lulling you with the suggestion to kill yourself.

The fact that you mentioned jazz drums brings Squarepusher to mind, who's a jazz drummer that makes electronica music. Probably not what you're looking for, but it's what came to mind.

While we're on the subject of genre benders, there's a lot out there that can be good for people interested in Jazz but still think that a Miles Davis record sounds like 4 instrumentalists who are decent but are also going hard on hearing and don't notice that they are surrounded by 3 other people playing out of sync and tune with them. For people on the cusp of classical and jazz there's Gershwin and Bernstein. For those on the cusp of hip hop and jazz there's Flying Lotus. For those on the cusp of the blues and jazz, you're in luck because there always seems to be a {Insert Jazz Legend Name Here} Plays the Blues--most famously being Coltrane Plays the Blues, though Coltrane isn't necessarily the easiest on jazz newbies. The cusp of rock and jazz is so populous that I don't really know where to begin.....ummmmmmmm The Advancement. Sure, that sounds like a decent enough example for someone who doesn't want singing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgHYas8pC_E), but maybe it's too classic rocky for a metalhead.

I don't know, maybe that's a start. Finding new music you love is like the best thing in the world, so I wish you the best of luck on your traversions. You've come to the right place to ask, which is to say that you came anywhere but the radio.
    Last edited by surviva316; 07-04-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarity
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Was the Jamie Cullum comment sarvastic? I like him. He has a weekly radio show on BBC radio 2. It's worth listening to as it plays a broad range of jazz and gives you info about the artists and styles. It's not pitched just at those already into jazz so its good for introducing you to the genre. If you listen to a few shows, then look into the artists that you like and check out who influenced them and before you know it you're into jazz.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Try this by Joe Pass the guitarrist, I used to like his minimalistic sound.
    If things were to magically revert to January 1st, 2003, only I could take everything I know now in terms of poker ability/knowledge, bonus clearing, etc., I think it's safe to say that it would be trivially easy to make over a million dollars.
    And Miles Davis is even good for grind:
    If things were to magically revert to January 1st, 2003, only I could take everything I know now in terms of poker ability/knowledge, bonus clearing, etc., I think it's safe to say that it would be trivially easy to make over a million dollars.
    yeah miles was my entry point into jazz. can't really find arguments against it.

oh! bill evans. love him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Was the Jamie Cullum comment sarvastic? I like him. He has a weekly radio show on BBC radio 2. It's worth listening to as it plays a broad range of jazz and gives you info about the artists and styles. It's not pitched just at those already into jazz so its good for introducing you to the genre. If you listen to a few shows, then look into the artists that you like and check out who influenced them and before you know it you're into jazz.

After yeaaaars of expensive education
    a car full of books
    and anticipation
    I'm an expert on Shakespeare .. that's a hell of a lot
    But the world don't need scholars ... as much as I thought ...
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    and a fairly late discovery was eric dolphy who i liked immediately, but some stuff might be too avant-garde for people less accustomed to that sound. so forget i mentioned that and get like "kind of blue" by miles davis.
    thelonious monk. my coming from a classical background makes me go :O wtf is he doign when watching him play. but fucking hell man this man got the groove, and dont' really give a shit if he's mashing neighbouring keys seemingly randomly.

He's like f "technique", ima just lay out my massive balls on the keys and that's gonna be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    After yeaaaars of expensive education
    a car full of books
    and anticipation
    I'm an expert on Shakespeare .. that's a hell of a lot
    But the world don't need scholars ... as much as I thought ...

I like that whole album. Especially ain't necessarily so and looking good. But all of it really. And it takes balls to cover a radiohead track.
    Actually I think I'm confusing albums, but w/e, I like him.
    +1 to theloniuous monk. idgaf blend so we into jazz and he may be the king of it. On a side note there's been talk of forming a b local band called feloniun unc, mebbe gotta start working on that.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    lol, kind drunk... felonius unc.

Have some Dave Brubeck already and like it....

Thelonius Monk and Duke Ellington are on my radar already....

There are some other names mentioned I will have to try...
    Oh drumming you say!

Ok first of all, here's my no-bullshit list of records you absolutely need in your life:
    You should be able to get them off TPB in great quality, so I'd rather not post YT links.

Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come

For me this is the one of his most iconic records. He has made a lot of them. A lot of them crap, some of them genius. This is one of the latter. Lore has it that he made his money as a dish washer throughout his early career, that he was not allowed to play before midnight and was regularly kicked off stage in his early years. He played on a plastic saxophone because he couldn't afford a better one. Certified badass.

John Coltrane:
    A Love Supreme

Opus Magnus. Needs to be listened to at maximum volume. Up there with the moon landing in terms of human archievement.

I'll just leave it at that. A great way of finding new stuff is to remember that there is no monogamy in jazz. Everyone played with everyone. So if you find a record you like, pick a musician and look through his discography.
    In my case I find Elivin Jones and Ed Blackwell to be by far the most inspiring drummers I've ever heard, so I keep looking for records they played on and keep digging deeper.

The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    and a fairly late discovery was eric dolphy who i liked immediately, but some stuff might be too avant-garde for people less accustomed to that sound. so forget i mentioned that and get like "kind of blue" by miles davis.
    Fuck Miles Davis right in his dried out butthole!

Coltrane/Dolphy live at the village vanguard. Get that. Here's another tip: look for live at Village Vanguard records. For some reason nobody is ever shit at the Village Vanguard.
    I'll just leave it at that. A great way of finding new stuff is to remember that
    there is no monogamy in jazz. Everyone played with everyone. So if you find a
    record you like, pick a musician and look through his discography.
    In my case
    I find Elivin Jones and Ed Blackwell to be by far the most inspiring drummers
    I've ever heard, so I keep looking for records they played on and keep digging
    deeper.
    Yes good tip. I noticed this already. A guy will play with multiple bands and on multiple records as if everyone is a studio player
    This has been going around for a while. It's Thelonius Monk wisdom as collected by Steve Lacy.

excellent stuff oskar. i remember reading that a whie ago but it's still nice to see it again.
    My father has an incredible selection of jazz music that I grew up listening to... I'll go through his selection when I get the chance and post back here. Much of it consists of the greats which have already been mentioned: Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, etc. I'll post whatever hasn't been mentioned.

Are you a fan of classical? One of my absolute favorite musician composers is Jacques Louissier, who has done extraordinary renditions of classical songs (among other things - fun fact, he sued Eminem for stealing one of his beats [and after listening to both songs, it's clear that Eminem totally did]). He's done Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Chopin, Vivaldi, and more. He's probably best known for his Bach work though. Personally, I think his best work was with Bach and Vivaldi. He's done solo piano jazz interpretations of Chopin's nocturnes, and some are really, really beautiful.

His rendition of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor is pure brilliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIa-YXIqLs0 I have many other treasured pieces by him that I consider some of my favorite music of all time, but I'll hold off on posting all that.

The whole entire "Classic Meets Cuba" album by the Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion is also really great. There are some samples here: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Meets-.../dp/B00019PD2A

Also, the anime Cowboy Bebop is known for a really incredible bluesy/jazz soundtrack. Even if you hate anime, the soundtrack alone is worth listening to. We played the theme song in jazz band in high school, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jCJZEFIto And this is another great track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8wWa3O9cUo I suppose this would be "contemporary" jazz but I don't think it sounds anything like Kenny G, and I don't listen to Kenny G, so... yeah.

B.B. King is also great, particularly the song Chains N Things, which was sampled in Ice Cube's "A Bird in the Hand": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJ4lI631Ng (oh yeah, this has vocals... um... but it's still really good, so deal with it. )
    Last edited by aubreymcfate; 07-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    Oh, and:

It's a super popular piece, I know, but it's just so good.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    I used to love Scofield, but I can't listen to him anymore. Every other guitarist tries to sound like Scofield nowadays. So much so that scofield retired his ibanez and is now playing shit music on a shit strat accompanied by a shit band.
    But A Gogo with Medenski Martin &Wood is still a great album. Just something that I've listened to death.

The Low Road is another great Scofield album. MMM is good driving music in general.

The Bad Plus

famous for their cover versions, but their original album is great too. They have gotten a lot better with time:

I know you said no singers, but I take that as saying no Autum Leaves shit, so here's another great one:

Quote Originally Posted by aubreymcfate View Post
    Also, the anime Cowboy Bebop is known for a really incredible bluesy/jazz soundtrack. Even if you hate anime, the soundtrack alone is worth listening to. We played the theme song in jazz band in high school, actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jCJZEFIto And this is another great track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8wWa3O9cUo
    Awesome.
    For the classic meets jazz stuff: It doesn't get better than Howard Shore and Ornette Coleman on the Naked Lunch sountrack. I remember after I got the sountrack within the week I borrowed a saxophone. My teeth hated me for it, so I gave up on that endeavor but I still love that sountrack.

Ornette did quite a bit of orchestra work himself more or less successfully. Skies of America is something to get if you like that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by oskar; 07-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    watching this vid this morning.

Ryo Fukui anyone?
    Bit jazzy for my liking.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Ryo Fukui anyone?
    He's perpetually in my youtube suggestions, but... what Ong said.
    Robert Glasper Experiment
    Alfa Mist
    Antonio Sanchez

Oh fucking heads-up Spotify. Just because I listen to someone named Sanchez, doesn't mean I want you to fill up my playlist with dirty mexicans!
    GOOD bump
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>