Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Sklansky Dollars vs All-In EV

Default Sklansky Dollars vs All-In EV

I just came across the term "Sklansky Dollars" (or "Sklansky Bucks") here at thepokerbank.com and a couple of other places online. I'm not positive, but isn't this theoretical amount of money you win/lose the same thing as the "All-In EV" orange line you see in the Holdem Manager graphs and the "$EV Diff" amount you see in most of the HM reports? (I'm not sure what the PokerTracker equivalent is, but I'm sure there's one there as well.)

From what I can tell, Sklansky Dollars is the amount of $ you would make over the long run on a particular play after you call a bet: total pot size * equity - minus the last call amount. That seems pretty darn similar to what All-In EV is tracking, no?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. However, it's better to think in terms of Sklansky Dollars because if you ever come across him in real life, you can rough him up and demand he pay you what he owes.
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. However, it's better to think in terms of Sklansky Dollars because if you ever come across him in real life, you can rough him up and demand he pay you what he owes.
    Ha! Well, if anything to be honest, not being a terribly good player at this point, I think I'd owe him some money.
    As I understand it, it's effectively the same thing.

Phil Galfond then advanced this concept and named it "G-Bucks", which is worth reading up on. This can never be tracked by a piece of software though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    As I understand it, it's effectively the same thing.

Phil Galfond then advanced this concept and named it "G-Bucks", which is worth reading up on. This can never be tracked by a piece of software though.
    Cool. Thanks! I did recently come across the term G-Bucks somewhere else, and now will definitely add it to my list ... my ever growing list of things to look up and try to understand about this game. Cheers.
    G-bucks is the same concept, except that it throws away the idea that we can know Villain's cards when we make our decisions.

It does this by incorporating ranges for both the Hero and Villain and taking the equity from that, rather than taking the equity from their specific holdings.

It's fun to read about and will get you thinking about your own range in terms of how well matched your ranges are with your betting lines.
    I can't pretend to know much about let alone incorporate G-buck into my game, but here are a few articles I've just read. Maybe a few of you reading this post will want to check out to if (like me) you are also a bit puzzled. The first one's from Mr. G himself. Thanks for recommending it, BeanCounter.