Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

6max to FR

Default 6max to FR

OK, so I am thinking of moving into FR cash games to lower the variance side of things.

What would be everyone's say top 3 things that I should focus on to help my transition as easy as possible?
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    Do you think learning to deal with playing a new game will be less effort than learning to deal with variance?

Also if you are consistently losing then it may not be completely down to variance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Do you think learning to deal with playing a new game will be less effort than learning to deal with variance?

Also if you are consistently losing then it may not be completely down to variance.
    I don't have the temperament to deal with high variance and I don't suspect the transition will be too difficult.

I'm also not consistently losing.
    something you should consider is that FR is dieing out .....FR rush at FTP is dead , ipoker had very limited numbers of FR tables in the 10nl - 50 nl region when i last looked , from what i saw on merge and winning when i played there it was mainly 6max. Limited numbers of tables means you are more likely to be playing a higher proportion of multitabling regs and facing tougher games as a result.
    http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ng-170430.html

that was my blog when i started 10nl .....been reading through it just and theres some bloody good advice in it and you'll see how swingy i was ......and i still ain't learnt to beat FR lol
    FR is boring and the games suck now. FR shall now stand for fucking retarded.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Is FR really much lower variance than 6max? I mean I'd imagine our HJ/CO/BTN ranges are somewhat tighter in FR because we're folding parts of our range when the pot is opened, and the pot will obv be opened more often with 4 more ppl to act in EP, but I debate whether it's so much lower that it would be worth switching games?

Poker has variance. You can't really escape it. I'd recommend reading 'The Mental Game' though, that could help you deal with variance better.

Also what are your aspirations from poker? Is your goal to improve, move up in stakes etc etc? If your goal is to move up, then you will HAVE to embrace variance and be able to deal with that. The higher up you move, the more aggressive the games and variance goes through the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Agree with griffey. I play fr and variance at 25nl is much higher than 5 & 10nl. I dread to think what higher stakes must be like. I don't think I've ever even had a losing 10k hands stretch at 5nl. 25nl on the other hand has me up and down like a yoyo. This could just be because in bad at poker though.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    something you should consider is that FR is dieing out .....FR rush at FTP is dead , ipoker had very limited numbers of FR tables in the 10nl - 50 nl region when i last looked , from what i saw on merge and winning when i played there it was mainly 6max. Limited numbers of tables means you are more likely to be playing a higher proportion of multitabling regs and facing tougher games as a result.
    That was my first and main concern, just that post alone makes me want to stay at 6max.

Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Is FR really much lower variance than 6max? I mean I'd imagine our HJ/CO/BTN ranges are somewhat tighter in FR because we're folding parts of our range when the pot is opened, and the pot will obv be opened more often with 4 more ppl to act in EP, but I debate whether it's so much lower that it would be worth switching games?

Poker has variance. You can't really escape it. I'd recommend reading 'The Mental Game' though, that could help you deal with variance better.

Also what are your aspirations from poker? Is your goal to improve, move up in stakes etc etc? If your goal is to move up, then you will HAVE to embrace variance and be able to deal with that. The higher up you move, the more aggressive the games and variance goes through the roof.
    I will take a look at that book, thanks Griffey. It is certainly one of my biggest leaks not being able to deal with bad beats/coolers/variance.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    someone was talking about low variance at 25nl FR?
    6max has more pressure to play (because the average hand is worse with 6 players compared to 9/10), so it's easier to exploit your advantage. And it teaches you how to play postflop better. I'd try to stay at 6.
    A difference between 6max and FR that hasn't been mentioned yet is the required level of nittiness. In FR, a VPIP of 16% is LAGGY and over 20% VPIP is maniacal. It's a game where "tight is right", and adequate patience is the skill most micro-stakes players lack.

(That's overall VPIP, not positional VPIP. Positional VPIP's will be higher in CO, BTN, SB, BB, and progressively lower with distance from the BTN.)