Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

$1.10 $100 GTD R/A Final Table Flop Straight

Default $1.10 $100 GTD R/A Final Table Flop Straight

So, as I've mentioned before during my brief time on these forums - I'm pretty new to the game. I started playing on June 25th. I've played both cash games and tournaments but found a lot of early success in tournaments. DONs, 10 and 6 man SNG's, and 25-300 man MTT's. I haven't won an MTT yet but I keep placing between 2nd and 6th.

In this tournament again this morning here, I played some of my best poker yet and found myself at the final table again. I had previously been leading in chips before two guys donked off their stacks to the new chip leader with absolute garbage out of desperation at the bubble. Before I knew it, with the blinds getting huge, I was down to 3rd place and in jeopardy of falling behind fast. On this flop here, I wanted to check out in front to induce action behind me as instead of a few thousand chips, I wanted a whole stack. 1st place paid $46.44 and 6th place paid $7.74. When the turn came down with another heart 1) I didn't think anyone was holding a four flush on the flop or they would have raised it. I was wrong. 2) I didn't want to check my straight again and I realized this might be my last shot at the big money. I also realized that since most likely nobody had the hearts, I would be representing the hearts and find myself in the same spot as I would have on the flop - taking down a moderate sized pot.

How do I handle this spot in the future - Just shove flop, right? And please excuse the lack of conversion in the hand history. I have spent hours looking for a BetOnline converter and I have been completely unsuccessful in my attempts.

BetOnline Poker Game #1333958993: Tournament #5566711: Hold'em $400.00/$800.00 - 2014/09/04 10:32:06 Eastern Daylight Time
    Table '5566711-1' 10-Max, Seat #4 is the button
    Seat 8: straitAces (32348.91 in chips) - Big Blind
    Seat 7: BiggSlikk9 (30444.62 in chips) - Small Blind
    Seat 4: rivits (23086.34 in chips) - The button
    Seat 2: whifflee (49430.00 in chips)
    Seat 0: UBOB (133690.12 in chips)
    BiggSlikk9: posts small blind 3000.00
    straitAces: posts big blind 6000.00
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to BiggSlikk9 [10s Qc]
    UBOB: folds
    whifflee: calls 6000.00
    rivits: folds
    BiggSlikk9: calls 3000.00
    straitAces: checks
    *** FLOP *** [Jh 9h Kc]
    BiggSlikk9: checks
    straitAces: checks
    whifflee: checks
    *** TURN *** [Jh 9h Kc][10h]
    BiggSlikk9: bets 24444.62
    straitAces: calls 24444.62
    whifflee: folds
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    straitAces shows Ah 4h
    BiggSlikk9 shows 10s Qc
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 66889.24
    Board [Jh 9h Kc 10h 4s]
    Seat 8: straitAces showed [Ah 4h] and won (66889.24)
    Seat 7: BiggSlikk9 showed [10s Qc] but did not win
    Seat 4: rivits folded before Flop
    Seat 2: whifflee folded on the Turn
    Seat 0: UBOB folded before Flop

I wound up coming in 5th and winning $10.32...
    I don't understand what you mean by that you didn't think anyone would have a flush draw on that flop, as they would have raised PF? BB can have any two hearts. You have to bet that flop, as it is a flop that seat 2 can have hit very well. You got to start building a pot there. But I doubt that BB would have folded with that nut flush draw. He would probably have gone OTT and went AI on your bet. But you need to start building a pot I think, but what do I know? LOL

Congrats on 5th place
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerKing View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by that you didn't think anyone would have a flush draw on that flop, as they would have raised PF? BB can have any two hearts. You have to bet that flop, as it is a flop that seat 2 can have hit very well. You got to start building a pot there. But I doubt that BB would have folded with that nut flush draw. He would probably have gone OTT and went AI on your bet. But you need to start building a pot I think, but what do I know? LOL

Congrats on 5th place
    Thanks! I'm upset at myself for this last play, though. As for thinking villain would have raised preflop, I didn't. I said that I thought he would have raised the flop instead of checked. Regardless, I still think I should have folded this. The thing is, as you said, the money was probably going in anyway. That's not the point, though. I want to handle this situation optimally next time, you know?
    It was played OK imo. Although on low stakes tournament I like to make small bet on flop to make certain. With shoving straight you miss value from decent hits (Kx, maybe Jx) and bad draws that are usually drawing split pot or with very few outs and flush draws. By just betting some 8k in flop you usually can get opponents into position where they might make all-in calls with virtually any hit at all.

I would say that although shove in flop would not be overly terrible due to the ICM, it would still lose you value moneywise (and lots of more in cEV). Bad luck that opponent did hit his flush draw, but with 4bb and little more than pot left you really had no choice. I don't really like shove in the turn either: you almost always just get call from split-pot or better hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlickBaby View Post
    Thanks! I'm upset at myself for this last play, though. As for thinking villain would have raised preflop, I didn't. I said that I thought he would have raised the flop instead of checked. Regardless, I still think I should have folded this. The thing is, as you said, the money was probably going in anyway. That's not the point, though. I want to handle this situation optimally next time, you know?
    Sorry, it seems I totally misunderstood your post. Sometimes my English just isn't good enough
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    You've got 5 bb and someone with not much more has limped... I'd be shoving this pre in an attempt to steal the limp and bb. We're getting folds often enough imo, and when we don't we have a reasonable hand.

As played I'd bet this flop, leaving an easy turn shove.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You've got 5 bb and someone with not much more has limped... I'd be shoving this pre in an attempt to steal the limp and bb. We're getting folds often enough imo, and when we don't we have a reasonable hand.

As played I'd bet this flop, leaving an easy turn shove.
    Thanks for the input on this one. I appreciate it.