Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

laid down two pair to a river raise

Default laid down two pair to a river raise

I put villian on two pair. Any comments?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t1145)
    MP1 (t750)
    MP2 (t1330)
    CO (t1425)
    Button (t1250)
    Hero (SB) (t5915)
    BB (t2605)

Hero's M: 78.87

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2, 3
    UTG calls t50, 4 folds, Hero calls t25, BB checks

Flop: (t150) 3, 7, 8 (3 players)
    Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks

Turn: (t150) 2 (3 players)
    Hero bets t90, BB calls t90, 1 fold

River: (t330) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets t150, BB raises to t900, Hero folds

Total pot: t630
    fold pre!! If you won't limp from the BU I would not limp the SB.

river is good.
    What drmcboy said. I am never completing the SB in this spot.

C/C river is another option I suppose, but by not betting you may lose value against hands that you beat.
    Once you realize that immediate pot odds (though not even that great here) in no way compensate for the lack of value these type of garbage hands have, especially out of position, you will be on your way to becoming a better poker player

As played I bet 100 on turn, and 200 on river and fold pretty fast to his raise

Be sure to take notes on his play

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)
    Thanks for the comments! Normally, I don't complete this hand and almost folded but somehow I didn't want to be so mean having a big stack. I actually have another question: How do we adjust the value bet a) on turn? b) on the river?
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremophile
    Thanks for the comments! Normally, I don't complete this hand and almost folded but somehow I didn't want to be so mean having a big stack.

Having a big stack means you can use it to be more aggressive and pick on the more passive players who may be afraid of the idea of risking their stack. Limping from the sb with these hands is not an effective way to use a big stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeophile
    I actually have another question: How do we adjust the value bet a) on turn? b) on the river?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here... Do you mean how did we decide to bet those amounts?

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)
    calling here on SB is in fact ultra-aggressive...

Quote Originally Posted by caddie444
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking here... Do you mean how did we decide to bet those amounts?
    yes, good guess. why do you bet 100 instead of 90 on the turn? and 200 on the river?
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremophile
    calling here on SB is in fact ultra-aggressive...
    No, RAISING from the SB would be ultra-aggressive (but this is the wrong hand to do it with).
    Any mistakes made here were minor, in my opinion. I like caddie's comments. Question: without the UTG limper, if the hand was folded around pre-flop, do you play the hand or give the BB a walk? I tend to complete my sb with ATC if my BB is a nit, but 32o is such garbage.

Hope you went on to take down this tourney!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMoose
    Question: without the UTG limper, if the hand was folded around pre-flop, do you play the hand or give the BB a walk?
    of course 23o is not playable. I might call or raise though if it was suited, only for this case.

thanks man but, I spew around 1.5k on a bluff (superman syndrome). After a few suckouts back and forth, I finished the tourney at 4th place. Villian raised on the button and I shoved on BB with AJ. Villian had A9 and flopped a 9. We both had around like 7k when bb was 600 something.
    being the big stack IMO buys u more time to be patient and wait for crushing hands. otherwise at least wait for good spots to be a bully. seems like 23o just isnt really playable like ever in any position. more often than not u will just dig your own hole to bury urself in playing crap like that. definatly open you range but dont put 23o wayyyyy OOP in it.
    results? we don't need ANY RESULTS?