Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

9max 3left with TT

Default 9max 3left with TT

How would you maximize your profit in this situation?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 250/500 Blinds (3 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t4352)
    Button (t414)
    SB (t8734)

Hero's M: 5.80

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, 10
    1 fold, SB calls t250, Hero ???
    I think this is opponent dependent.
    would he call hands you are dominated by or a flip against?
    would he just complete there with AJ+, KJ+, QJ+, JJ+?
    If his stats are something like 15/0 then I probably standard raise this and fold to a shove over.
    If his stats are something like 25/10 I shove over his completion and if he shows up with a better hand, oh well. I think he's doing this with trash more often than hes trapping with a monster.
    meh it sucks button has less than 1BB left. Otherwise, I'd either shove preflop or make it 2.5x pre and shove to any flop. Shoving here must be -EV considering ICM.
    Interesting spot. I ran this in SNG Wiz with the SB completing with 45% of hands (22+, A2+, K2+, Q7o+, Q2s+, J9o+, J7s+ and T8s+) and calling your shove with 33+, A8o+, A4s+, and KTs+ and this was very slightly +EV. Note that SNG Wiz does NOT take into account the fact that the Button will be AI next hand in the BB. Once you take this into account, Wiz says that even AA is not a good shove

In a game, I would probably check this and wonder whether it was the right thing to do after the hand.
    I forgot to give villain stats. He was 34/4 over 50 hands, same trend over last 10 hands. sng wiz's opponent modeling for the whole tourney puts him on opening 63% and calling 42% of hands (45% isn't that far off) and suggests a check.

A fold here could allow the small stack to go out and i'd probably finish second, because blinds are huge, whereas a check here would put me in a tricky spot post flop if an overcard came with two rags. A push here puts me in great position to cash 1st place.

Here's how it played out.
    Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2.25 Tournament, 250/500 Blinds (3 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t4352)
    Button (t414)
    SB (t8734)

Hero's M: 5.80

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, 10
    1 fold, SB calls t250, Hero bets t4352 (All-In), SB calls t3852

Flop: (t8704) K, A, 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t8704) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t8704) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t8704

Results:
    SB had 8, A (flush, Ace high).
    Hero had 10, 10 (two pair, Kings and tens).
    Outcome: SB won t8704
    There is more equity in playing a "survive this hand" style rather than shoving to win 2 bbs back. Obviously because of the button not even having a bb. You could check in this spot and no one would complain.
    You wanna die? Run on up on that black Seven forty-five.
    I'll run the numbers later, but this may be one of those situations where if he showed you his A8s face up and told you he'd call your shove then you still shouldn't shove.
    There are multiple ways to play this hand given the stack sizes

1. Check, see a flop, see his action and then decide, if the flop is all unders you are probably ahead
    2. Shove and hope for the best
    3. Make a relatively small raise - about 1.5-2BB and see what happens, if he comes over the top you can still fold your hand and will probably finish 2nd, if he calls you probably have a better shot to getting to a cheap showdown and if he folds thats good too

I think 3>2>1

Quote Originally Posted by TLR
    There are multiple ways to play this hand given the stack sizes

1. Check, see a flop, see his action and then decide, if the flop is all unders you are probably ahead
    2. Shove and hope for the best
    3. Make a relatively small raise - about 1.5-2BB and see what happens, if he comes over the top you can still fold your hand and will probably finish 2nd, if he calls you probably have a better shot to getting to a cheap showdown and if he folds thats good too

I think 3>2>1

checking has its merits, but shoving looks better.

I prefer the third option

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)