Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

AQ aggression/ bluff

Default AQ aggression/ bluff

MP3 is 13/5 over 103 hands. CO is 21/2 over 92 hands.

I tried applying some pressure on this fun flop. I chose this line because I've noticed that villain does not put his chips in the middle very often for AI. he will only show premiums, so I want to steal this early.

That said, now I'm facing a difficult turn decision. My instinct is to shove it because it will fold out sooo many hands that have me beaten. And even if I'm called by an overpair... I have some pretty sexy outs.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.1 Tournament, 60/120 Blinds 15 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t320)
    MP2 (t10550)
    MP3 (t6855)
    CO (t5821)
    Button (t3145)
    SB (t3995)
    BB (t3130)
    UTG (t2950)
    Hero (UTG+1) (t7995)

Hero's M: 25.38

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q, A
    1 fold, Hero bets t360, MP1 calls t305 (All-In), 1 fold, MP3 calls t360, CO calls t360, 3 folds

Flop: (t1700) 5, 7, 5 (4 players, 1 all-in)
    Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets t360, Hero raises to t1200, 1 fold, CO calls t840

Turn: (t4100) 7 (3 players, 1 all-in)
    Hero ???
    I prefer a smaller bet, like 2/3 the side pot size maybe. then based on how quick he calls and what the river is maybe shove then.
    I think if you 3bet here you have to shove the river...The problem I see though is that the CO isn't folding. Calling stations never do.
    I like that you at least have a reason for making this, but imo its not the best plan here. When villain bets into 3 people (even if its small), he's going to have a good hand a lot. Even vs guys who wont stack off easily, you have to make sure they're range of hands is weak enough to justify making a play.

Theres only 1 potsized bet left on the turn so I guess its shove or fold. Yeah you likely will have 6 clean outs of called, but that leaves you at about 12% in a spot where I just don't see many people folding
    ps I think normally I would just call on the flop as played, also I think leading the flop is good and cheaper than this
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    ps I think normally I would just call on the flop as played, also I think leading the flop is good and cheaper than this
    ^These were my post-hand thoughts. ^

My problem with calling is the draw heaviness of the board. I can see too many draws staying in given how small the flop bet is; that, in combination with being OOP for the rest of the hand made it less savory. If villain had bet a bit more, I would have called. I thought similar with leading out on the flop. Given they'll think it is a bluff or semi-bluff a good amount of the time, I'll be called more often, which will either force me to double barrel or fold a hand that could be best.

All of that said, I should have led out.

Here is what happened:

I shoved. Villain Folded.