Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Call with 33 in LP w/ two limpers @ 40/80?

Default Call with 33 in LP w/ two limpers @ 40/80?

It's customary for me to fold low PPs after the 20/40 level in a 9-man on FT; should I be calling here though?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 6.5 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG (t902)
    MP1 (t2380)
    MP2 (t3280)
    Hero (CO) (t1335)
    Button (t1163)
    SB (t3130)
    BB (t1310)

Hero's M: 11.12

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3, 3
    1 fold, MP1 calls t80, MP2 calls t80, 2 folds, SB calls t40, BB checks

Flop: (t320) J, 4, 6 (4 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets t320, 1 fold, BB calls t320, 1 fold

Turn: (t960) 7 (2 players)
    BB checks, MP2 checks

River: (t960) 9 (2 players)
    BB bets t160, MP2 calls t160

Total pot: t1280
    In a multi-way pot, where I'm quite likely to see a flop, I'll call. While I'd rather be on the button, I'll call here and hope for a flop (unless one of the players to act after us is extremely aggressive, in which case I fold PF).
    Stack sizes are kind of difficult here, normally I look to be able to win 15x the chips I need to call in order to have implied odds to hit a set, and you're getting a little more than that here. That said, I probably lean towards folding this because you've got 3 players still to act after you, and if any of them raises (other than a minraise) you have to let it go.
    If players to my left (yet to act) are very aggressive I'll fold this here,... if not I'll call. If it's raised I fold.
    Fold is fine, a Call is okay. This type of situation you shouldnt worry too much about, there are other aspects of your game that will help you a lot more than fretting over this. Just remember that you dont want to be raised pre. If you think you wont be raised, go for it. If you are unsure or think there is a fair possibility of a raise just let this one go.
    I think the question is not call or fold but call or push.
    There are 280 dead chips in the pot, thats almost 25% of your stack, and no raise infront of you, I think I am pushing it

Quote Originally Posted by TLR
    I think the question is not call or fold but call or push.
    There are 280 dead chips in the pot, thats almost 25% of your stack, and no raise infront of you, I think I am pushing it
    7 handed with action behind? I think a shove is -EV here. Even if you win, so what? Youre risking your entire equity in the tourney. The times you win wont compensate for the few times that you are called and busted.
    I'm not even shoving 66 here or 77 for that matter
    I have to disagree with a shove here, I ran it through SNG Wiz with the two limpers limping 20% (22+, A2+, K8o+, K4s+, QJo, Q9s+ and JTs) and calling a shove with 8% (roughly 66+, AT+) and the remaining players still to act calling a shove with roughly 88/99+ AJ/AQ+ and shoving was very -EV.
    Quote Originally Posted by taipan168
    I have to disagree with a shove here, I ran it through SNG Wiz with the two limpers limping 20% (22+, A2+, K8o+, K4s+, QJo, Q9s+ and JTs) and calling a shove with 8% (roughly 66+, AT+) and the remaining players still to act calling a shove with roughly 88/99+ AJ/AQ+ and shoving was very -EV.
    I think the range of hands of limp-call push is much more narrow then this - for example it is very rare to see EP limp and an AI call with AJ, AT, QQ, JJ etc..

agree range is off although I think Ax and low PPs do this a lot, run like 22-99, A7-AJ, KJ+.
    OK, I agree the ranges that I used at first are a bit off since I agree it's unlikely they limp and AI call with hands like QQ. I ran it again with the two limpers limping 22-88, A2o-AJo, A2s-ATs, K8o+, K4s+, QJo, Q9s+ and JTs and calling a shove with 22-88, A3o-AJo, A2s-ATs, KJ+, K9s+ and QJs and it was still about -1% EV.

Playing with the ranges, I cannot find a realistic hand range that would give a +EV outcome for shoving here