Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Range splitting

Default Range splitting

I was reminded of this by something Gabe posted about putting hands in ranges. I read on 2+2 that another pro said about Sauce that "Sauce's way of splitting ranges was really unique".

Does anyone have anymore details about this? I imagine it as assigning hands to every range, for a certain betting pattern on a certain flop and further development, but in what way does he split it that is so unusual?
    its not an easy thing to think about. obv against fish you just need to exploit them to the max. but against smart people its tough. in general, on the river, if i make a big bet or raise with a nutty hand, i gotta know what price im laying them, and that price dictates how many bluffs i also put in that range. or if i know a river spot is a good bluff, i gotta see what price im giving them, then throw some extra value hands in there

i know this isnt really addressing anything, just something to think about
    You mean that your value/bluff ratio should represent the pot odds you are laying? That is for me mostly on the river. On previous streets I tend to make my sizing mostly based on what I would do with the hand I am repping. But it's still something to consider in any case of course.

Sauce puts hands in one range of a normal betting pattern in another one. So this is a trade-off between being more deceptive but also playing less optimally. To devise a strategy like that so that it still works out against other top pro's, that's incredibly difficult to devise. Just trying to think about it, I wouldn't know how to begin atm. Of course I'm never anywhere near that level but stuff like this intrigues me.

Another thing I was thinking about, how would you think about a spot where your range is mostly bluffs? Let me make a bluff line. 3bet pot, flop 864 I cbet 2/3 pot, turn 4 I bet 3/4 pot, river 7 (completes flush draw on flop) I bet pot. I'm not repping too much on the river anymore. But what would you do with a range for taking this line? Never use it? Only do it when you end up there with the magical 88?