Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

Call or raise turn?

Canada; the country all tucked away down there...

Default Call or raise turn?

I get caught with only looking at my strength and not putting a range on villain when I am likely miles ahead. I hadnt been at the table long so no real reads on villain, but he hadn't been too active so probably a straight forward player.
    I hit a set, he bets flop and I just call bc I don't want to blow out AX's and med PPs.
    King hits turn which could help him if he raised Kx pre which is possible, he could have a ten, or could be looking at that texture thinking its unlikely I have a ten, that I probably didnt float a K and he's 2x barreling. I want the money in, but his hand is kinda polarized imo. do I raise the turn or call and try to get more on the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Hero (Button) ($5.24)
    SB ($7.44)
    BB ($5.31)
    UTG ($5.07)
    MP ($5.07)
    CO ($5.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3, 3
    2 folds, CO raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 10, 3, 10 (2 players)
    CO bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.73) K (2 players)
    CO bets $0.35, Hero ?
    Raising is optimal here for sure. Calling is very much +ev and is ok as a trap if we think villain is bluffing a wider range than average, but raising for value is going to be the best option by miles against a strong range.

Villain is betting flop and turn here, though I don't take much from the flop bet. He likely has AK KK AA KQ KJ TT JT+ T9s, some hearts bluffs (A5hh 78hh etc), and occasionally some pure air. If we raise he definitely folds his pure bluffs and any JJ/QQ that bet the turn, we can expect him to fold KJ KQ and hearts (though he might not), while AK and better is likely going to continue. AK and even AA might find a fold, but it's ok.

So of his continuing range, the hands that beat us are - KK (3 combos) KT (6) TT (1) - 10 combos
    Hands we beat - JT (8) QT (8) AT (8) T9s (2) AK (12) AA (6) - 44 combos

We're crushing his continuing range by more than 80-20, so raising here is printing money. If he somehow folds all of his AK and AA, he still has 26 combos of Tx that can pay us off. So even when he only continues with trips or better, even if he has just QT and AT that's 16 combos which is more than the 10 combos beating us.

The only reason to call this turn is to trap a maniac. You have no reason to think he's a maniac. So this really does seem like a clear raise.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Canada; the country all tucked away down there...
    What’s your raise size?

as played I raised. The only thought I had at the time was, if he doesn’t have any piece of this board yet then he likely never will
    Last edited by Vinland; 10-26-2022 at 07:47 PM.
    I'd raise to around a dollar, just a little under. Generally my raise sizes are 2.5x to 3x, maybe bigger against some villains. I'm going smaller here because we've flopped a boat and don't really fear the river, unless it's a king or ten. There's no reason to think he's calling big bets light. So I prob go $0.90 in this spot. If villain likes his hand enough to call, we're not likely to get stacks in on river but we can double our turn bet. If we overbet jam river he likely folds AK/AA and might even throw away some Tx, so I really don't think we can take that line. We need to offer him a price that is tempting for AK to maximise value.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    i like semi-tank raising flop to .50 , bet $1.15 turn shove river just to make it easier to get stacks in.
    if hes got QQ+ we can easily get stacks in on the flop