Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

American Senators

Default American Senators

What are they? What do they do? How do they get voted in/out?

I know states have senators and that many run for president but that's about it. How & how often are they voted for? What power do they have - if mayors run the town & cities? Can a senator be voted out of office by the public?
    2 per state, frequently extremely corrupt in movies.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    google down?
    Ten years later, following the attempted assassination of Senator Padmé Amidala, Jedi Knights Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker's investigation puts them on the trail of Jango Fett, an intergalactic bounty hunter. Tracking him to the world of Kamino, Obi-Wan discovers that the Kaminoans have used samples of Fett's DNA to clone a vast army of soldiers, called Clone Troopers. The order for the soldiers was submitted to the Kaminoans by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. Meanwhile, the Republic soon faces internal opposition as several thousand worlds publicly secede from the Galactic Republic and form the Confederacy of Independent Systems, or CIS. The Republic Senate deliberates the Military Creation Act, which calls for the formation of an army to serve the Republic in keeping order across Republic Star Systems and preventing further secession. As deliberations stall Shadow Senator for Naboo Jar Jar Binks proposes (after suggestion from Chancellor Palpatine) that the Chancellor be granted emergency powers in order to resolve the issue of the Clone Army awaiting approval on Kamino and take decisive action to put down the rebellion. This is greeted by applause from the majority of the Senate Chamber, and Chancellor Palpatine describes it as a 'purely temporary measure'.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow
    Ten years later, following the attempted assassination of Senator Padmé Amidala, Jedi Knights Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker's investigation puts them on the trail of Jango Fett, an intergalactic bounty hunter. Tracking him to the world of Kamino, Obi-Wan discovers that the Kaminoans have used samples of Fett's DNA to clone a vast army of soldiers, called Clone Troopers. The order for the soldiers was submitted to the Kaminoans by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. Meanwhile, the Republic soon faces internal opposition as several thousand worlds publicly secede from the Galactic Republic and form the Confederacy of Independent Systems, or CIS. The Republic Senate deliberates the Military Creation Act, which calls for the formation of an army to serve the Republic in keeping order across Republic Star Systems and preventing further secession. As deliberations stall Shadow Senator for Naboo Jar Jar Binks proposes (after suggestion from Chancellor Palpatine) that the Chancellor be granted emergency powers in order to resolve the issue of the Clone Army awaiting approval on Kamino and take decisive action to put down the rebellion. This is greeted by applause from the majority of the Senate Chamber, and Chancellor Palpatine describes it as a 'purely temporary measure'.
    This.

Default Re: American Senators

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder

I know states have senators and that many run for president but that's about it. How & how often are they voted for? What power do they have - if mayors run the town & cities? Can a senator be voted out of office by the public?
    Most cities and towns are run by the city manager and the mayor is little more than a figurehead on the city council. Only a few large cities give the mayor power to run the city. Yes our system gets more and more confusing.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Elmer Letterman

Default Re: American Senators

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder

US senators are elected to represent states. They don't have any power in the States that elect them, they are members of the legislative branch.

There are also state senators who do the same thing at the state level.

Mayor/governor/president are all members of the executive branch.
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    This website is a good primer for "are you smarter than a 5th grader". http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/government/branches.html
    <Staxalax> I want everyone to put my quote in their sigs
    The Ottawa Senaters Suck ! ! ! !
    Mayors have affairs and lie about them, ohh and they also push police officers.

Senators decided is Sparta goes to war or if King Leonidas is a traitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhappy333
    I didn't think its Bold to bang some chick with my bro. but i guess so... thats +EV in my book.