Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

what song are you listening to?.... thread...

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,425 of 1433
    You described Yngwie Malmsteen perfectly, IMO.

Note that EVH's Eruption was just a practice / warm up thing he used to do in the studio and the recording engineer was like, "What is that? We should put it on the album!"

I'm not bashing repetitive music. It's just not for me. Dance music hinges around repetitive beats and electronica is prevalent in dance music, so that's 2 things that already put me off a bit. I'm a clumsy person and awful dancer, so dance music doesn't appeal to me. It's not fair, but it's subjectively true for me.

I have to admit that many of my favorite songs are very repetitive if you take away the lyrics.

I'm not saying anything is "bad" music. Not at all. I know better than to underestimate the power of music that doesn't appeal to me.

I saw Aphex Twin live in 2000, I think. In a small bar in Seattle. There were maybe 30 people there in small, scattered groups and they were giving off a fairly strong hipster vibe, if I'm remembering correctly. I sipped a gin and tonic and tried to wrap my head around what I was hearing and came away thinking something along the lines of, "I guess that was music." in a kind of eye-opening but not inspiring kind of way.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Lauro wrote some great melodies that are in perpetual motion, and aren't at 1000 bpm,

I think electronica is mainly for zoning out on when you're stoned. I don't think it's very interesting musically. There's some interesting ideas in it but as a whole it is boring music, sorry.
    If you want to give Aphex Twin a shot, his most accessible EP is probably I Care Because You Do. He has all his records available for free: https://aphextwin.warp.net/

His best work is no doubt on Drukqs.

But there's a massive amount of electronic music out there. I don't know how you can dismiss what is essentially just how the music is performed. There are loads of orchestras interpreting electronic music as well. I'm not a big fan of most of it, it just feels like they're trying to legitimize something that is already legitimate.

I started playing in bands really young and we were dismissive of electronic music, but then in 97 The Fat Of The Land and Hard Normal Daddy came out and that was that. I still remember the shop put the wrong price sticker on The Fat Of The Land and I got it for real cheap. I was excited about that. I ended up trading it for The Number Of The Beast at summer camp.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    His best work is no doubt on Drukqs.
    I listened to the first 45 seconds of the first song on this and it's the same rhythym and pretty much the same eight notes played over and over. Already bored. It's like dude, if you're going somewhere with this, then go there already.

There's more melodic content in literally the first 5 seconds of that Lauro piece I posted than in the first 45 sec of this.

Maybe it's just how I'm tuned, dunno. I just don't have the patience for it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Boris until we have all the facts through an inquiry, police investigation, and parliamentary commission...then we should explode him.
    also,
    I'd like to be called Lord Poopy His Most Gloriously Excellent.
    Maybe, but check out the syncopation on this baby:

Last edited by oskar; 10-17-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    ^ If the video doesn't give you epilepsy the music will.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Boris until we have all the facts through an inquiry, police investigation, and parliamentary commission...then we should explode him.
    also,
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    I saw Aphex Twin live in 2000, I think. In a small bar in Seattle. There were maybe 30 people there in small, scattered groups and they were giving off a fairly strong hipster vibe, if I'm remembering correctly. I sipped a gin and tonic and tried to wrap my head around what I was hearing and came away thinking something along the lines of, "I guess that was music." in a kind of eye-opening but not inspiring kind of way.
    Funny. He's definitely odd. But he's certainly a genius. That word is thrown around pretty casually when it comes to music but in his case it's not a misuse of the word. He'll be remembered for a long time.

The Drukqs stuff is crazy. Good, but I wouldn't say it's his best. Selected Ambient Works for me.

Fat of the Land by Prodigy was a weird album. Good, but a lot more commercial than what they had previously done. It really doesn't compare to the first two albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Anyone like psychedelia?

ongies gonna ong
    Everyone needs this song in their life.

ongies gonna ong

Here's you some country rap Ong
    Nah.

I like some rap, but preferably with a techno flavour rather than hip hop.

ongies gonna ong
    One more from them. THIS is how to do blackface. And whiteface. Jesus this bitch is hot as fuck.

ongies gonna ong
    Die Antwoord was on fire for their first two albums. I wonder what they're up to.

Miley with a solid Mazzy Star cover:
    Idk if you eurotrash will know who Garth Brooks is, but he's one of the biggest country music stars of all time (possibly the biggest).

He also had an emo rock album that a lot of people don't know about under the name Chris Gaines. It's fucking creepy to see him in eyeliner.
    OK, so this is a couple years old, but I only just came across it. It's blowing my mind.

At first, I was like... that technique is off the charts good. Resolving the melody in alternate octaves is hooking me in.
    What the hell is that solo? Just crazy mishmash of techniques isn't really hitting... oh wait... no way... oh wow... that's not a mishmash, it was just going over my head. Oh wow.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    Impressive and somewhat unsettling at the same time. Not in any hurry to listen again.
    ongies gonna ong
    Probably the best band in the world.

ongies gonna ong
    The song is fine, but I don't speak Spanish, so I don't know what it's about.

I tried to google translate the song title and all I got was "Blonde Cinnamon." So that's not too helpful.

Anyway... the music is top notch. I can see why you dig it.
    That's a very literal translation. The "blonde" in this context is a reference to skin colour, and "cinnamon" is reference to hair colour. So El Guero Canelo is a white red headed man, as slang but not a slur.

There's from Tuscon, so there's a very heavy Mexican influence in their music. The brass is incredible.
    ongies gonna ong
    Beck released an album called "Guero" as it was the nickname he picked up growing up in the Mexican communities of Cali, it means light skinned.
    ongies gonna ong
    For a song about gingers, it's pretty good. I'm digging it.
    also,
    @MMM: Plini and Animals as Leaders should be right up your ally.

Probably the best band in the world.
    I had Hot Rail on repeat when it came out and then forgot about them. I have some catching up to do.

@MMM: Plini and Animals as Leaders should be right up your ally.

I had Hot Rail on repeat when it came out and then forgot about them. I have some catching up to do.

Cool music. Plus, they're all smoking hot.
    also,
    Hot Rail is a fantastic album, I rank it as their third best. The Black Light and Feast of Wire are the best two, in that order.

Those Bulgarian acappellas are nice and all but I can't listen to much of it. Agree with poop though, some hotties for sure.
    ongies gonna ong
    @oskar: I really dig this one from Plini, but I didn't ever get into the rest of the album.

I appreciate the musicianship but I do find it tedious. In contrast the hook of the first bulgarian choir music I posted is in 9/16 and it has 11's and b9's all over the place, but your Bulgarian grandma can dance to it.

I find almost all of the new math rock stuff too stiff for my taste, but that's the style.
    I appreciate the musicianship but I do find it tedious. In contrast the hook of the first bulgarian choir music I posted is in 9/16 and it has 11's and b9's all over the place, but your Bulgarian grandma can dance to it.

I find almost all of the new math rock stuff too stiff for my taste, but that's the style.
    I don't have perfect pitch, and even my relative pitch is weak AF when multiple notes are heard simultaneously.
    All I could really tell about the Bulgarian choir was that it was dissonant in a way that I simply love, and that the dissonance popped in and evaporated into unisons (which I can identify) in a mesmerizing way.

I'm not going to be giving it a re-listen, but it was cool to see Adam Neeley's breakdown on it.
    But the harmony from tik tok he was highlighting is stuck in my head today and I've never even heard the original song.
    That "You that I lie with" with that haunting harmony gives me goosebumps.

Anyway... the Plini piece hooked me with the 13/8 time signature in the intro. Then it actually took me a couple days to realize the middle of the song sounds so fluid in 13 time because it is - in fact - not in 13 time, but in a standard 4/4. Which ... I mean ... I'm dumb, and I did feel a bit let down when I realized that I was just being way too cerebral on myself.

Typical.
    I have pretty awful ears for harmony, but b9's go brrr so I can tell.

Few have the balls to do a whole song in a weird time signature. There are a ton of songs that start awesome and then bail *caugh Whipping Post caugh*
    Dream Theater - The Test is in 13, Zappa - You Can't Do This On Stage Anymore Vol 6 has a number titled Thirteen, that's in - you guessed it: 13, but it's a choppy mess.
    That's why Time Out and Time Further Out are so fucking awesome. No bailouts and the time signature actually make sense instead of always sounding like someone chopped a 16th off every bar.

Last edited by oskar; 06-12-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    This goes so hard:
    Keep 'em coming.
    also,
    Just catching up with Paola's channel now.

This is a really strong performance. Music starts at 2.20.

Wish she would use a more traditional classical guitar with a richer timbre sometimes, but meh whatrugonnado.
    also,
    Speaking of traditional music, I always loved this song.

Edit: The singing stops around 1.10, so if you're waiting for something else to happen, well, it doesn't really, just soft replaying of the melody on strings.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 06-12-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    also,
    also,
    I love the way something so simple as a single guitar can start out like a hollow whisper and draw you into a bustling commotion like that.

I mean... 150 seconds and he picked me up and took me somewhere. Bravo.
    Typical crap 90s video, but great tune.

also,
    It took a few seconds to load up, and in the meantime I was wondering what song from the 90s you posted. Kula Shaker? Radiohead? Belly? Nope, it's OM fucking C.

How shite.

Here's Kula Shaker improving a Deep Purple song.

Last edited by OngBonga; 08-24-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    ongies gonna ong
    Going on a 90s fest now.

ongies gonna ong
    American indie was pretty good in the 90s too.

ongies gonna ong
    Oasis were shite, Blur were great. How this was ever a debate is something I'll never understand.

ongies gonna ong
    Radiohead were fucking awesome.

ongies gonna ong
    Most bands in the 90s where shite, including all the ones you named. Radiohead was decent I guess. Blur over Oasis? Mwahahaha!

Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were better than any of them.
    also,
    Oasis just churned out the same sound over and over again... dreary wannabe Beatles. Blur did some shit, but lots of it was actually pretty creative and occasionally brilliant.

PWEI were fucking great, if you dis these guys I might have to hunt you down to slap you.

ongies gonna ong
    Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were better than any of them.

Pearl Jam vastly overrated. Nirvana one of the greatest bands of all time. Soundgarden, shit as best as I can remember.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

PWEI were fucking great,
    Never heard of them but if you like them I'm guessing they were shit.

if you dis these guys I might have to hunt you down to slap you.
    You can't afford the train fare lol.
    also,
    I mean, nothing in the 90s is touching Nrivana. They are easily the best band of the 90s. Radiohead were the UK's best effort, Muse were incredible too in the early days. But the 90s was a great era for music... electronica came to maturity, indie was popular, pop was unpopular, there were some truly great bands of the 90s. I'm surprised you dis Portishead, I'm kinda guessing you didn't listen to it because that's not the kind of music people tend to hear and think "boy this is shit". It's the kind of music even old people like.
    ongies gonna ong
    Never heard of them but if you like them I'm guessing they were shit.
    You should listen to it. The lyrics are very anti-far-right. The title is German for "I'm a foreigner". It's a slap in the face to people who oppose immigration, with a reference to Enoch Powell.

Here's another fucking awesome anti-right band...

ongies gonna ong
    RATM were unbelievable too. Probably a bit rappy for your liking.

ongies gonna ong
    I mean, nothing in the 90s is touching Nrivana. They are easily the best band of the 90s. Radiohead were the UK's best effort, Muse were incredible too in the early days. But the 90s was a great era for music... electronica came to maturity, indie was popular, pop was unpopular, there were some truly great bands of the 90s. I'm surprised you dis Portishead, I'm kinda guessing you didn't listen to it because that's not the kind of music people tend to hear and think "boy this is shit". It's the kind of music even old people like.
    The thing with the 90's is that the bands that were shit were so shit that they spoil the average: Silverchair, Creed, Kid Rock, Limp Biscuit, Bloodhound Gang, Nickelback, and all of New Metal as a genre.

Growing up in the 90's I still like a lot of 90's bands that I realize are not very good, but music is better when you're young and I still remember them fondly.
    There was also the musical equivalent to the so-bad-it's-good movie, which could only have gotten air time in the 90's... Gillette (Mr Personality, Short Dick Man), Kelis (Milkshake), as well as David Hasselhoff's entire music career.

Rock as a genre really took a nosedive in the 90's and I guess that's what people remember the most. You start with Metallica's Black Album marking a high point in 91, followed by a long slope of christian rock and white guys rapping until you end up with Limp Biscuit as the main and final act of Woodstock 99.

I was at college in the 90s, hanging out with skateboarders, so I was exposed to a lot of non-pop music of the time. I hated most 90s rock, but I could tolerate Metallica. I could deal with Korn and Tool too. But I hated the Limp Bizkits and that sort of shit. I was mostly listening to classics (Beatles etc), indie and dance music like techno and drum n bass. But some of the American 90s rock was pretty good. Just remembered this one...

Still sounds fucking great that does.
    ongies gonna ong
    Not sure if this band every got much airplay outside of Canada, but they were very big in the 90s. Had some great tunes.

Singer/songwriter was an English major, wrote some beautifully twisted lyrics. This one's about trying to live with having committed a murder.

also,
    This one's about a Canadian visiting the US. Sorta got a Southern Man feel to the lyrics.

also,
    Nope, I tried listening to them both but not doing it for me.

I think this is the closest I get to liking Canadian music...

They're Scottish.
    ongies gonna ong
    Sometimes I like watching a bewildered crowd...
    ongies gonna ong
    Even better. More slaggy, less sweary. I love these women, I'd marry them both.

ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by top comment
    this should be broadcasted into Space to scare off potential alien invaders
    ongies gonna ong
    Musically that's a big pile of shit. Video is mildly entertaining.
    ongies gonna ong
    This was my top recommendation after watching that last one.

NFSW - N-word alert in intro a LOT

ongies gonna ong
    Musically that's a big pile of shit. Video is mildly entertaining.
    I love Arca. Even just up to kicki (kick 1) she was already the furthest out of the new hyperpop (charli xcx, fka twigs, christine and the queens) and she's been teasing kickii for a couple weeks, but instead released 4 new albums at once. I will probably never listen to all of it, but i respect the energy.

I think Electra Rax is an amazing track. It's really hard to make a groove this complex have drive and be danceable, but it is imo.

There are also a bunch of really self indulgent tracks which is to be expected when you drop 40 songs in a year. weirdly some of the least interesting musically have the most intricate video production:
    Last edited by oskar; 12-03-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    It's really hard to make a groove this complex have drive and be danceable, but it is imo.
    I gotta disagree, which is why I don't like it. I love dancing, and can appreciate some pretty crazy electronica music, but this is bordering on epileptic fit territory. There's no rhythm.

Not liking that Prada track either.

Here's some spazzy elec which I do like, probably because no vocals...

ongies gonna ong
    byw, FKA Twigs is tolerable. She's no Bjork, but she's still pretty cool.
    ongies gonna ong
    Here's some spazzy elec which I do like, probably because no vocals...
    neat! That's funny because to my ears that track is even more abrasive than the Arca one, which isn't a bad thing.
    Listened to the album on bandcamp. Some pretty progressive stuff for 2004:

The audio production really gives away its age though.
    Last edited by oskar; 12-04-2021 at 02:14 AM.
    I don't mind abrasive. The thing with Acra, I can see talent there for sure. It just doesn't please my ear.

That Utabi tune you've linked is not one I've heard before, or at least don't remember. Good tune. A bit like Acra, but with rhythm!
    ongies gonna ong
    I don't mind abrasive.
    That's good news!

I like that a lot. Very good. Japanese bitch punk, where have they been all my life?

Reminds me a bit of these guys, the male equivalent. Well, aside from the female keyboard player.

ongies gonna ong
    There are some absolute gems hidden in the dark corners of youtube.

ongies gonna ong
    Soul

ongies gonna ong
    Not so much listening to as trying to learn on my guitar.

Also, I wish people would just slow down the entire song rather than try to make it seem like they're slowing down a particular transition on purpose because they can't play it full speed. That never works. /rant
    also,
    Also trying to learn Canon in D as something everyone knows and will be familiar with. Just learning the notes now, seems do-able.

also,
    This is my all-time favourite classical song, Capricho Arabe. Been working on it off and on for about two years, very technically challenging.

This guy is generally unconscious on the guitar, and his guitar cost more than my house, so yeah probably won't be up to this standard anytime soon, but I'm close to getting it presentable I think.

also,
    I really like Tárrega but that composition isn't amazing to me.

This one is though...

ongies gonna ong
    I really like Tárrega but that composition isn't amazing to me.

This one is though...

My first thought is "that sounds like a challenge." My second thought is "nine minutes long...ugh". Might get to it someday though, it's an interesting song.

Yeah, Tarrega is the GOAT when it comes to classical guitar - pretty much defines the prototypical "Spanish" sound.

This one of his I quite like too and has the benefit of being short enough to be easy to learn.

Music starts at 1.55

also,
    Yeah that's nice and short, should be easy to learn!

El Caranval De Venecia is a beast of a tune though, if you can play that in its entirety then you'll definitely get some appreciation.
    ongies gonna ong
    El Caranval De Venecia is a beast of a tune though, if you can play that in its entirety then you'll definitely get some appreciation.
    OK, your reminder got me to go back and listen, and I totally agree, and thank you for putting this in my life.

Cheers!
    Listen to that soul tune I posted too, everyone needs this song in their life.

And oskar should listen to that Benny Sings one, that's right up his street if his previous contributions to this thread are anything to go by.
    ongies gonna ong