Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation: Camp Dwarf

Default Operation: Camp Dwarf

Yes it's that time again folks, a new operation! (Oh my God, I am so original, but meh).

The reason I started this operation is not to copy all of the others, it's not even to mend a broken bone, it's so that I can keep my mind focused on completing a goal, so I'm not dilly-dallying around with my bankroll and consequently losing it.

My goal is to be fully bankrolled for 1/2 NL Ring ($3000) by 16th September 2005.

This means I want to be making around 4.5 buyins per week in each NL game I play as I move up (ie. $45 per week in .05/.1, $112.50 per week in .1/.25 and so on).

The bankroll I am starting .05/.10 at is $239.86.

Here are some milestone goals for me to try to fulfil:

16/6/05 - $375 bankroll and move up to .10/.25
    16/7/05 - $750 bankroll and move up to .25/.50
    16/8/05 - $1500 bankroll and move up to .50/1
    16/9/05 - $3000 bankroll and move up to 1/2 (completed Operation Camp Dwarf)

As you may have noticed, I am starting at $10 NL at Poker Stars, and I will be moving my bankroll to Party Poker once I get to .$25 NL level.

I have Poker Tracker so I will occasionally post screenshots and stats from there. I will probably also post the occasional hand history.
    What happened to your bankroll? Weren't you comfortably playing 25NL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocco_Bill
    What happened to your bankroll? Weren't you comfortably playing 25NL?
    No.
    I told you this in PM...but personally, I think $268 is more than enough to four table the NL25's if you're *CAMPING*. I turned $200 into $450 easily at Eurobet with my new rakeback program. It would be even more but I've been clearing bonuses elsewhere.

Just my .02.

I think the plan sounds sensible, as you've had problems at 25NL before it's a good idea to get settled before moving back up, however given you and i were both at $100 at the same time i'm surprised you're still at this level, have your problems just come from 'dilly dallying around' or are there more pervasive problems in your game?
    "[This theory] is only useful for helping to calculate your luck odds. If you have a good read that you have a numerical advantage against your opponent, that your hand is "luckier"..."

Copyright, Youngdro 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendash
    I think the plan sounds sensible, as you've had problems at 25NL before it's a good idea to get settled before moving back up, however given you and i were both at $100 at the same time i'm surprised you're still at this level, have your problems just come from 'dilly dallying around' or are there more pervasive problems in your game?
    Yeah I was doing silly things, I wasn't specializing at all so I was losing money overall (or gaining it VERY slowly). This operation will help me specialize in NL ring.

Oh and I've edited the first post, changed my starting bankroll to what it was when i started playing .05/.10 exclusively, which was yesterday. If I have the starting bankroll as today the PT stats will not add up.
    I have about the same bankroll and play the same limits too. Let's see if I can accomplish the same goals in the same amount of time.

Default Re: Operation: Camp Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfman
    Yes it's that time again folks, a new operation! (Oh my God, I am so original, but meh).

The reason I started this operation is not to copy all of the others, it's not even to mend a broken bone, it's so that I can keep my mind focused on completing a goal, so I'm not dilly-dallying around with my bankroll and consequently losing it.

My goal is to be fully bankrolled for 1/2 NL Ring ($3000) by 16th September 2005.

This means I want to be making around 4.5 buyins per week in each NL game I play as I move up (ie. $45 per week in .05/.1, $112.50 per week in .1/.25 and so on).

As you may have noticed, I am starting at $10 NL at Poker Stars, and I will be moving my bankroll to Party Poker once I get to .$25 NL level.

I have Poker Tracker so I will occasionally post screenshots and stats from there. I will probably also post the occasional hand history.
    September 16 is my birthday! Becuase it is on my birthday, I wish you good luck.
    I don't want to be the wet blanketeer, but I find all plans of this sort a little suspect. Here's what I mean:

You aim to double your bankroll every month. That's fine; aim high; you can play. But having your goal be a certain % increase (esp. 100) in your BR leaves out imporant considerations:

if you can and do make e.g. 10BB/100 in NL at level X, when you move up you need to continue making 10BB/100 to double in the same time. Every time you step up, it becomes less likely that you can earn at the same rate.

There was a thread in here once about how you'd quickly become a billionaire if you could add 5% to your BR every month. This ignores a kind of obvious problem: you can't.
    A different point -- a strategic one:

Is this called Operation Camp Dwarf because you plan on being tight as $%^@?

If so, I find that a little misguided too. Playing tight as %$#^ doesn't necessarily increase your profits.

Default Re: Operation: Camp Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by vqchuang

September 16 is my birthday! Becuase it is on my birthday, I wish you good luck.
    OUR BIRTHDAY
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFou
    I don't want to be the wet blanketeer, but I find all plans of this sort a little suspect. Here's what I mean:

You aim to double your bankroll every month. That's fine; aim high; you can play. But having your goal be a certain % increase (esp. 100) in your BR leaves out imporant considerations:

if you can and do make e.g. 10BB/100 in NL at level X, when you move up you need to continue making 10BB/100 to double in the same time. Every time you step up, it becomes less likely that you can earn at the same rate.

There was a thread in here once about how you'd quickly become a billionaire if you could add 5% to your BR every month. This ignores a kind of obvious problem: you can't.
    This is interesting. I think (and UltimateGeorge thinks) that I am setting my goals too LOW.

This is because the NL Ring at Party Poker is so crushable right up to 1/2 that it isn't even funny. When I was on my staking deal playing $25 NL at Party Poker I made $600 in 2 weeks, and I had my fair share of bad beats during that time. It is just so damn easy.

The only thing is I can see myself taking frigging forever to get up to $375 playing the .05/.10 at Poker Stars.

So, I think if anything, my goals should be even higher. Of course I will have the bad runs, I will not make money every week, but that just compensates for what i think will be the many weeks that I will make a lot more than what I aim to do, so I feel I can clear this easily.
    This is interesting. I think (and UltimateGeorge thinks) that I am setting my goals too LOW.
    Yes, this is true. Dwarfie, I know you play all the time. I know that if you focused on playing for the next three months you could EASILY attain your goal of having a $3000 bankroll. I doing it myself and it has been a piece of cake.

For those that don't know, Ilikeaces86 staked me nine weeks ago. I have $2240 in profit over those nine weeks playing NL25. All of this has been done playing in my free time which I don't have a ton of (I am usually gone from my house for 12-13 hours a day during the week). Some of this is definitely bonus money, but the majority of it is pure profits.

So yes, I think $3000 isn't a high enough goal.

What I don't know if I agree with is the whole moving up in stakes and doubling every month goal. I don't have enough experience to know how NL50 goes.....but from my *very limited* experience the play is a little better. Camping didn't work as well for me. My AA/KK always seemed to get busted (or the betting would lead me to believe it had been busted so I'd fold)...My sets wouldn't get paid off, etc.

So I dunno. Maybe I haven't played enough at NL50. Maybe what I experienced was just a semi-downswing or something (which I immediately made up for right when I switched back to NL25). Who knows.

All I know is this.....$3000 doesn't seem high enough, but moving up levels like that might seem a little bit lofty.

P.S. I still think you're sufficiently BRed for NL25 right now (four tabling) if you're camping.

Update:

.05/.10 is slow, so I may mix in some 6 max as I can win at this quickly aswell. I also may move up to .10/.25 once I have $325 (13 buyins rather than 15).
    Operation cancelled due to lack of bankroll.
    what happened?
    "[This theory] is only useful for helping to calculate your luck odds. If you have a good read that you have a numerical advantage against your opponent, that your hand is "luckier"..."

Copyright, Youngdro 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendash
    what happened?
    Lost everything.