Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Nut straight turn play

Default Nut straight turn play

Flopped a double gutter and hit the nut straight on turn. I decided to call to give the BB a shot at it but I would normally raise this if it was HU. If you raise here, what's the best bet size to bloat this pot?

PokerStars - $1 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 255.48 BB
    SB: 104.7 BB (VPIP: 36.99, PFR: 2.74, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 76)
    BB: 77.55 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
    UTG: 111.07 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
    MP: 92.05 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
    CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 19.23, PFR: 15.38, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 28)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7 5

UTG raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) 3 4 A
    SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets 7 BB, Hero calls 7 BB, fold, BB calls 7 BB

Turn: (33 BB, 3 players) 6
    BB checks, UTG bets 18 BB, Hero calls 18 BB, fold

River: (69 BB, 2 players) 6
    UTG bets 52 BB, Hero calls 52 BB
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Preflop is VERY minus EV. I doubt you could turn a profit calling there with 98s at 100 zoom, much less 75s.

I think turn is probably a raise considering how many action killing cards there are. Also, I think there is a >50% chance that someone has a flush draw. I think if you knew UTG had a flush draw you would probably raise the turn instead of calling, because you would expect him to give up when his turn bet gets called and he bricks his flush. Basically you allow that hand to "freeroll" you for a pretty big pot + implied odds whenever he hits.

On the river you beat very little and his bet is enormous, I think I would find a fold considering that you have a flush or boat here so much of the time and considering that 7d5d blocks almost none of his value range. A hand like AsKc would be a stronger hand to call the river with since it blocks many of the flushes and boats he can have.
    If you played 75s at ZOOm ,you sould raise the turn than for value
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Preflop is VERY minus EV. I doubt you could turn a profit calling there with 98s at 100 zoom, much less 75s.

I think turn is probably a raise considering how many action killing cards there are. Also, I think there is a >50% chance that someone has a flush draw. I think if you knew UTG had a flush draw you would probably raise the turn instead of calling, because you would expect him to give up when his turn bet gets called and he bricks his flush. Basically you allow that hand to "freeroll" you for a pretty big pot + implied odds whenever he hits.

On the river you beat very little and his bet is enormous, I think I would find a fold considering that you have a flush or boat here so much of the time and considering that 7d5d blocks almost none of his value range. A hand like AsKc would be a stronger hand to call the river with since it blocks many of the flushes and boats he can have.
    As an aside point, what range are you calling vs an UTG open from an average 100 zoom player? And for your particular example, what makes 98s a fold?
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    It's hard to quantify exactly "what makes" 98s a fold here, because its a confluence of tons and tons of factors. Also, I believe he specifically wouldn't be able to profit from 98s due to his post-flop leaks. 98s could probably be called for a small profit by a very tough player. It's a difficult spot to make a lot of money because UTG's range is very tight and sometimes we face a squeeze from the blinds and don't even get to see the flop without paying more money.

My calling range here is probably something like 87s+ QTs+ A9s+ 66+ AQo+
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    It's hard to quantify exactly "what makes" 98s a fold here, because its a confluence of tons and tons of factors. Also, I believe he specifically wouldn't be able to profit from 98s due to his post-flop leaks. 98s could probably be called for a small profit by a very tough player. It's a difficult spot to make a lot of money because UTG's range is very tight and sometimes we face a squeeze from the blinds and don't even get to see the flop without paying more money.

My calling range here is probably something like 87s+ QTs+ A9s+ 66+ AQo+
    Agreed, though I don't call A9s.
    I think it is better to raise on the turn to get more value/protect your hand than calling and invite flush draw to make a cheap call )
    However if BB is an aggressive guy and like to squeeze I agree with your slow play.