Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

2nl SNAP MW too committed to fold OTR

Default 2nl SNAP MW too committed to fold OTR

vs 2 SS I feel that I am ahead OTT. Not happy to see an 8 OTR but I'm still calling here whatever, and when the 2nd Villain shoves his extra bit, my exact words were. 'Surely they both can't have a f**king 9". LOL at SD.

I'm betting 50% pot OTF and OTT to try to keep both of these guys with worse hands, as I think they are both calling especially in a MW with any pair.

888 Poker - $0.02 NL (6 max) FAST - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $2.06
    SB: $0.71
    Hero (BB): $2.00
    UTG: $4.39
    MP: $0.93
    CO: $3.56

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has J T

fold, MP raises to $0.04, fold, BTN calls $0.04, SB calls $0.03, Hero calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.16, 4 players) J T 7
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.08, MP calls $0.08, fold, SB calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.40, 3 players) 3
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, MP calls $0.20, SB calls $0.20

River: ($1.00, 3 players) 8
    SB bets $0.39, Hero calls $0.39, MP raises to $0.61, Hero calls $0.22

SB shows 8 9 (Straight, Jack High)

Main Pot [$2.17]: (Pre 25%, Flop 55%, Turn 74%)

Hero shows J T (Two Pair, Jacks and Tens)

Main Pot [$2.17]: (Pre 33%, Flop 18%, Turn 10%)
    Side Pot#1 [$0.44]: (Pre 41%, Flop 67%, Turn 82%)

MP shows 9 Q (Straight, Queen High)

Main Pot [$2.17]: (Pre 42%, Flop 27%, Turn 17%)
    Side Pot#1 [$0.44]: (Pre 59%, Flop 33%, Turn 18%)

MP wins $2.04
    MP wins $0.41
    All your bets are far too small and river you should be folding.
    Have to admit I struggle to know when to bet big to get maximum value and when to bet 50% pots to keep in worse hands.

So, am I just folding any raise no matter what the pot odds, because you tell me what you think I'm doing wrong but don't explain why?
    Pot odds are only half the story. If you have 2:1 potodds, then you need >33% equity to profit. Having great pot odds simply means we need less equity... but we still need sufficient equity, and when villain calls down and then raises this river, 2pr is good somewhere in the region of never. This is simply always 9x when he raises river, meaning it doesn't matter what pot odds he gives us.

Still, it's pretty hard to fold to less than a minraise at river. Villain starts the hand less than half stacked and should be assumed to be a fish, so this could be a fuck-it-shove with worse, or at least that's what I'd tell myself at the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    You are in a multi-way pot. I think you're using HU equities to guide your decisions here.

Order of things you want OTF:
    1) Be in a HU pot OTT
    2) win right now
    3) face the turn against 2 opponents on a board that smacks all of your pre-flop ranges.

Your small bets make it easy for the draws to call with good odds. You have top 2 against 2 Villains. You should be over a fat value bet here. Instead, you seem skittish about folding out drawing hands and so you give them better odds to draw.
    It sucks that you were out-flopped, but top 2 pair is strong and you shouldn't be assuming that you're already beat.

OTF: b/f $0.12+
    Although, personally I think there is a lot of merit to b/f up to 2x PSB here. In multiway pots, you can play extremely well when you polarize Villains' ranges with this move. (Inb4 Savy tears me a new one.)

Noooo one expects the double PSB!! (How do villains react to the unexpected? Generally badly. Especially at 2NL.)

This is not a move to pull off because MMM said to. This is a move to consider deeply WHY it could work well with mid-strength hands in multi-way pots on draw-heavy boards. Do not do this unless you've made predictions on how you will be playing later streets.

OTT: b/f PSB (if both still in, or 3/4 if HU)

OTR: If both villains are still in the pot, you should be thinking, "Surely at least one of them has a f**king 9." x/f.
    Thanks peeps, gotta find that fold button more often I guess..
    Related strategy article: http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ds-198755.html

The section on value betting against multiple Villains especially.