Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Back to Basics.

Default Back to Basics.

So I'm starting over again.

Having recently cashed out my 25nl roll from stars because of exams, which I donked up over a few deposits playing the majority at NLHE FR along with an array SNG's MTT's PLO both in an out of my bankroll, I've decided to deposit $40 and start again at .01/.02 6-max.

My previous method for poker left me with a decent understanding of the fundamentals of NLHE, but a catastrophic mental approach to playing and learning the game. This is where I hope to change this.

Through this blog, I'm hoping to add structure to my learning curve while you all call me shit and I forever try to seek the approval of people on the internet. Most of all I'm just hoping to reap the benefits of surrounded by more poker people.

My goal is to take a shot at 100nl by the end of next year. Which means developing my mental game and main leaks as I work back through too where I previously was, while working significantly on my efforts to learn the game.

I like the way poker can be so structured as a means of attaining goals, so hopefully good habits from poker can help me get my shit together out of poker and vice versa.

At the moment I'm still ironing out the differences in starting/3betting range from FR to 6 max. Which is most likely where I'll first be seeking out help. I've got about 3.5k hands atm so ill wait a little longer before I post any stats/graphs.

Here's to not being a shit c#%t and actually updating this

Peace!
    Had some FPPs and a massive $0.90 T dollaz so going to play a few satellites for the MicroMillions main event tomorrow morning. Lets hope for some run good!
    Good luck with the grind to 100nl!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Cheers!

First thing I've wanted to establish is my UTG range. Obv depends on a lot of other factors but looking at a lot of charts it seems to vary a lot. Just a template to work of would be good. As for the button I'm working off about 40%(?) which I feel is alright. But anyone please go ahead and say I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphex8 View Post
    Cheers!

First thing I've wanted to establish is my UTG range. Obv depends on a lot of other factors but looking at a lot of charts it seems to vary a lot. Just a template to work of would be good. As for the button I'm working off about 40%(?) which I feel is alright. But anyone please go ahead and say I'm wrong.
    One of the first things that would be good to work on is getting together preflop ranges that you are happy with the reasoning behind them, rather than just using generic ones. I mean in terms of, if you open say 10% UTG, or 40% on the button, or whatever, what does that mean in terms of how people can exploit you by 3betting - for example, if you open 10% UTG then only 4bet AA/KK and fold everything else to a 3bet, you are folding about 90% of your opening range, so you can be 3bet with any two cards profitably.

http://en.donkr.com/Articles/optimal...x---part-1-329 is really good and covers a lot of this. I'd try to come up with ranges for what you open by default, what you do by default when 3bet (ie. you fold some hands, 4bet some for value, 4bet some as a bluff, call a 3bet with some). When choosing the hands to 4bet bluff with, bear in mind that it's nice to block villains continuing range, and to have something that flops some equity to continue aggression fairly often (stuff like small AXs fill both of these requirements).

Once you have those ranges, you might actually want to deviate very significantly indeed from them at 2NL - mostly, 2NL players aren't going to be 3betting you with stuff that they are ever folding to a 4bet for example, so 4bet bluffing would then be bad, but I still think the process of deriving these balanced ranges for yourself is really good study to do.

In a sense, you actually want to derive your preflop opening ranges by working backwards. What I mean by that is, in each position there will be certain hands you think you can 4bet for value and call a jam with when you get 3bet. Those will be hands with 50%+ equity (well, actually slightly less because of the dead money) vs. villains jamming range. Once you know what those hands are, you can come up with a range of hands you can 4bet bluff with - there can't be too many, because otherwise you can be bluff jammed on profitably - you have to be willing to felt a certain percentage of your 4bet range, based on pot odds (ie. what does villain risk when bluff jamming, and what does he stand to win when you fold). So now, by working backwards, you have a whole 4bet range, and that in turn decides what you can open (because, of what you open, you have to 4bet a certain %age, otherwise you can be 3bet bluffed profitably). Working through the donkr article will get you started, if you want more advice drop me a PM and we'll skype about this if you want to go through the whole process.

40% on the button is fine. You can open wider though, because people play way too tight from the blinds at these stakes. Over 50% would probably be difficult to maintain, but 50% is certainly possible.

Since you wanted a starting point for an UTG range, here's mine: 33+, AJo+, KQo, 78s+, QTs+, KTs+, ATs+

Last edited by BorisTheSpider; 11-23-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Thanks for the response and link Boris, will have to re read it to digest it properly but I'll PM soon about it. What you said has definitely helped me, especially with making me think about actions in future streets with hands and developing plans.

Playing is going alright, running pretty lol which makes for an amusing ev graph but starting to grasp a opening and 3bet range. I think the main thing to work on is just tight and discipline OOP and make sure I'm not trying to 3bet to light to often for the time being. It's not as if value spots won't be appearing just around the corner.

Also won my first torney, 176 person $2.20 shoot out where apparently anything goes, so that gave me a $70 booster to the roll. With that I'm thinking of a grinderschool sub which I've seen being discussed on here recently and recommended.

But still truckin' along, will post a graph a 10k and some stats to see if there's any leaks developing I'm not yet aware of.

Played this hand yesterday whick left me confused.

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $3.27
    UTG: $5.23
    CO: $4.24
    BTN: $2.00 (VPIP: 32.89, PFR: 21.05, 3Bet Preflop: 16.00, Hands: 79)
    Hero (SB): $3.08

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K 5

UTG raises to $0.04, fold, BTN calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03, fold

Flop: ($0.14, 3 players) 4 3 2
    Hero bets $0.06, fold, BTN raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.46, 2 players) 7
    Hero checks, BTN bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32

River: ($1.10, 2 players) K
    Hero checks, BTN bets $0.62 ?

Not sure about donking, and maybe to loose OOP but can this be a shove? Was thinking about value from 88-TT but I'm not even sure he flats those IP.

Will have a few more hands soon no dount.
    And another:

Vil seem tagish but only had 50 hands. Given his call in the blinds and check on the flop I can see enough 8s or even two pairs if he does this with them.
    So what do I beat, diamonds, his straight draws either get there or pick up showdown value.

Also seeing I'm still working on my preflop range, is a flat against a 19/12 with 0 3bet and opening 22% from cut off pretty standard?

BTN: $3.57
    Hero (SB): $2.00
    BB: $4.06
    UTG: $3.31
    CO: $3.67

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has K T

fold, CO raises to $0.08, fold, Hero calls $0.07, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.24, 3 players) K 6 7
    Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.24, 3 players) 9
    Hero bets $0.16, BB calls $0.16, fold

River: ($0.56, 2 players) 5
    Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.67, ?
    h1

Fold pre. Don't donk the flop because why would you? Then fold at every possible chance in the hand.

h2

Probably best off donking the flop at 2nl just because people are too passive and won't fold anyway. Bet slightly bigger on the turn like 18-20c, river at these stakes I'd be betting bigger and folding to a raise against an unknown. Like 35-40c.

As for an UTG range Borises is too wide if you're just starting imo. Just go for like 22+, KQ, AJ+. Really isn't any need to have stuff like 87s in your UTG range at 2nl just going to piss your money away until you learn how to play postflop.
    Last edited by Savy; 11-28-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Yeah first hand is pretty awful looking back. It's amazing the things you can justify to yourself at the table.

Yeah hand two was hoping to C/R flop. As for river I purposely bet small, thinking V likely had quite a few pair plus straight draws that I could get a call from. Is there a case for that? Or should I either be value betting strong, or not doing it at all at these stakes.

Default December Goals

Awwwwwwwwww right. Better throw up some goals as motivation, will keep them simple to begin with.

Poker
    • 20k hands
    • One quarter of my poker time spent studying
    • Session analysis after each session (including posting hands)

Working all this week but not much rest of the month so will have plenty of spare time to stay inside out of the Australian summer.

GL to anyone else with the end of year goals!
    So December has been going well. So far I've played 7,468 hands all at 5nl. So on track for the 20k. I'm currently up $30.91 and still well under ev but trying not to think about results to much. Just nice knowing I'm heading in the right direction.

Study has been alright to, mainly just videos of grinder school, will push for some different material this week as well.
    As for post session reviews, not so well, often I'm just to ceebs if I'm playing later at night so hopefully I can improve that this week. I'll post some hands in BC later.

Lastly, I was trying to post a graph, using the HTML oh imgur, but when even I preview the post it just shows the code not the image? anyone able to help with that?