Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

In the SB - Set facing river shove

Canada; the country all tucked away down there...

Default In the SB - Set facing river shove

I dont have a lot of notes on Villain. He hadnt been very active. Mostly stealing blinds. No showdown that I remember.
    I imagine his steal range is very wide. I flat TT, I need some kind of a value range to flat, and TT is in it.

On the flop I flat call my set bc the only oesd he can have is KJ, it is possible that he has a FD and hands like KQ or AQ, but also a tonne of stuff that wont call a raise. Maybe I should have raised. Thats something I am wondering about. I'm not raising as much as I used to bc I seem to just blow everything out when I do.

Turn isnt great, it adds J8 and KJ into completed straights but his TP/two pair/worse sets/ISSD etc are hands that pay off and He could still be drawing to a flush so I decide to raise.

River sucks as the FD completes. I still bet to get paid by TP, 2P, worse sets and he shoves. Again, I dont see what I beat that is shoving.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

Hero (SB) ($5)
    BB ($5.07)
    UTG ($8.55)
    MP ($5)
    CO ($2.49)
    Button ($5.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 10, 10
    3 folds, Button raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.10, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.29) Q, 10, 6 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.57) 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $0.41, Hero raises to $1.07, Button calls $0.66

River: ($2.71) 2 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1.05, Button raises to $3.97 (All-In), Hero folds

I'm getting tortured at 5nl, lol. I just cant win nice pots. I suppose not playing for 8 years takes its toll.
    Pre we can 3bet or call, mix it up with this hand. At 5nl, facing a $0.12 bet I prob just 3bet.

Flop, we can definitely trap a set sometimes but not here. This absolutely smashes his steal range, flush draws, straight draws including gutters and pair+straight draw combos, AQ KK+ 66, just raise when the board is this wet and we have a set.

Turn isn't great but it's not slowing me down.

River is disgusting. idk if we should c/c of b/f this river but a b/c surely isn't good. If we c/c we pick off some bluffs and any hands he's overplaying, but we lose value against AQ KK+. b/f is probably better in the long run but I likely c/c this just because I don't know if I'm actually following through with my plan to fold to a jam.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Chances are you're getting torched because of variance. I'm not seeing a huge amount wrong with what you're doing. Of course you're making mistakes. So is everyone at these stakes. Those who don't will soon be playing higher stakes.

You're not making huge mistakes, like b/c'ing this river. I mean we can easily call this river against an aggro donk who is trying to bully the table, but not against an apparently solid player who is doing nothing of note. If you were making these calls then maybe your mistakes are too big, but look, you're in a small % of players who is correctly b/f'ing this river at $5nl. I c/c because I don't trust myself to make the fold if he jams. I opt for a lesser mistake than b/c.

Just keep playing solid. Variance is a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong