Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumPoker News, Reviews, Tools

Books for the beginning small stacks NLHE player

Default Books for the beginning small stacks NLHE player

Hey guys.... I happened to get my hands on a little extra spending money for books. I know that SSHE is the bible for, well, SSLHE, but I was wondering if there are 1 or 2 books that are must reads for SS NLHE, that most of the NL50 and NL25ers play.
    1. zen and art of poker
    2. theory of poker

nothing by phil hellmuth/ gordon.
    'If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness. '
    Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller recently came out and is a great book for the beginner. You didn't mention how much experience you had. As far as I know there aren't any good books specifically addressing low stakes NL.
    TheXianti: (Triptanes) why are you not a thinking person?
    I'm a break even (very small winrate over 6k hands) at .50/1 limit. Currently in the bonuswhoring phase of building a bank roll... but I want to develop a solid game to play anywhere. As far as cash games are concerned, my skill in NL is craptacular,and my limit skill is probably average.
    zen and the art of poker is great but it is not a good read for a newbie as some things in the book might appear too difficult to understand. I really recommend the book when you have played a few months and a some tens of thousands of hands.

Theory of poker is great even though some players here hate sklansky, they have their "principles" or something.

harrington on hold'em 1 is good for nlhe ring as well.

I didnt really like reuben&ciaffone's no-limit&pot-limit poker but some do, go figure.

I have yet to receibe super system 2 from Interpoker so I cant really tell but what I have heard it is directed to players who play stakes a bit higher.
    "Poker is a simple math game" -Aba20
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingviini

I have yet to receibe super system 2 from Interpoker so I cant really tell but what I have heard it is directed to players who play stakes a bit higher.
    Considering all the authors play 1K/2K or higher, I guess that is to be expected.

I don't like the book because despite its impressive weight, I think it is rather general in nature.

I haven't receibed SS2 from interpoker yet either

They did give me $30 though...
    To win in poker you only need to be one step ahead of your opponents. Two steps may be detrimental.
    Putney, UK; Full Tilt,Mansion; $50 NL and PL; $13 and $16 SNGs at Stars
    It's a very ugly, quirkily written book. Why are ALL poker books hideously ugly?
    Demi: I asked them why havent I yet received my IP cap and SS2 and they answered that the promotion gifts have been sent. I will wait for another week and send them then mail again..
    "Poker is a simple math game" -Aba20