Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Ravageur's Life Thread

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    glad a link helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravageur View Post
    So today, I sat down in the whee hours of the night, eliminated 3 tables, and 9 tabled very calmy, focusing on my breathing, thinking through each play, tweaking my bet sizes, adding overbets to my arsenal (something I had inexplicably stopped doing), and lo and behold, I played the best poker all month and had a solid winning session.
    nice one.

I intend on playing no more than 9 tables and I'm not going to place any goals on amount of hands played or hours. I'm just going to try to play as close to my A-game as possible, and most importantly I'm going to try to stop playing the very SECOND I feel like my emotions have been compromised. While I'm not going to check results as I play, if I feel like I'm down more than 5 buyins, even if I feel I'm playing fine I'm going to force myself to stop for at least an hour. Because today when I was playing, I realized how I can absolutely destroy 1-2 when I'm playing my best, and it's not even close. I easily made 3 buyins more today than I would have yesterday because of my frame of mind and the small adjustments I made through careful observation and having more time to think.

That's it for now. It's fun to be a bit excited again about poker, and not just in the 'can't wait to grind this bonus' sort of way.
    sounds like a recipe for a happy life in april, and maybe some $$ along the way
    Last edited by daven; 04-01-2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Well, I'm definitely being tested early and often. I played 3 sessions today, and they were all losing sessions though only the last one was so bad I had to force myself to leave because I was starting to get frustrated. Overall I dropped 1.5k though I was 800$ under EV. I'm not going to post how many hands played since I'm going to try not to focus on that. All in all I think I played well. I wasn't as sharp as yesterday but all in all I stayed focus, no outside distractions and took my time with most decisions.

Here are some significant hands, a few of them I like how I played, a couple not so much.

1. Villain is a good tag reg, 22/18/7, he had just claimed to have folded KK when I bet/3-bet shoved a straight vs him.

No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($68)
    BB ($386.35)
    UTG ($453)
    MP ($203)
    Hero (Button) ($485.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, A
    2 folds, Hero bets $6, 1 fold, BB raises $23, Hero calls $19

Flop: ($51) Q, 4, 6 (2 players)
    BB bets $38, Hero calls $38

Turn: ($127) 10 (2 players)
    BB bets $70, Hero raises $422.85 (All-In), BB calls $253.35 (All-In)

River: ($773.70) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $773.70

Results:
    Hero had Q, A (one pair, Queens).
    BB had K, K (one pair, Kings).
    Outcome: BB won $770.70

2. My biggest mistake of the day...and the reason I stopped playing.

Vs just a random tag. The UTG who 6x'd it PF was a whale.

No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($266.40)
    BB ($326.50)
    UTG ($247)
    MP ($437.30)
    Hero (Button) ($255.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, Q
    UTG bets $12, 1 fold, Hero raises $35, 1 fold, BB raises $324.50 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls $220.75 (All-In)

Flop: ($524.50) 2, 7, 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($524.50) 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($524.50) 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $524.50

Results:
    Hero had Q, Q (two pair, Queens and sixes).
    BB had K, K (two pair, Kings and sixes).
    Outcome: BB won $592.25

hand 3: These guys were complete unkonwns. Definitely not regs. I think I like just folding the flop.

SB ($160)
    BB ($172.80)
    UTG ($277.20)
    MP ($194)
    Hero (Button) ($201.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 9
    1 fold, MP bets $4, Hero calls $4, SB calls $3, BB calls $2

Flop: ($16) 4, 5, 3 (4 players)
    SB checks, BB bets $16, MP raises $35, Hero raises $197.95 (All-In), 2 folds, MP calls $155 (All-In)

Turn: ($412) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($412) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $412

Results:
    Hero had A, 9 (one pair, Aces).
    MP had 4, 4 (three of a kind, fours).
    Outcome: MP won $409

Hand 4: Not sure how I feel about this one. Villain is a good TAG (are there even any LAGs any more?). Blind war, I don't think he's raising any T but A10 for value and I thought he'd 3-bet 77 so I'm only worried about 4. Is calling and shoving over a blank turn better? Maybe I'm risking too much since he's only calling with better and huge draws.

Hero (SB) ($184)
    BB ($262.40)
    UTG ($355.20)
    MP ($186)
    Button ($820.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 10
    3 folds, Hero bets $6, BB calls $5

Flop: ($14) 7, 10, 4 (2 players)
    Hero bets $12, BB raises $35, Hero raises $165 (All-In), BB calls $142

Turn: ($368) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($368) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $368

Results:
    Hero had 9, 10 (two pair, tens and nines).
    BB had 7, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
    Outcome: BB won $365

Hand 5: Entertainment hand of the day. Lol fish

SB ($197.30)
    Hero (BB) ($300.50)
    UTG ($159.55)
    MP ($199.45)
    Button ($411.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, 10
    UTG calls $2, 3 folds, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8

Flop: ($21) 10, A, J (2 players)
    Hero bets $16, UTG calls $16

Turn: ($53) 9 (2 players)
    Hero bets $46, UTG raises $92, Hero raises $228.50 (All-In), UTG calls $41.55 (All-In)

River: ($320.10) 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $320.10

Results:
    Hero had 10, 10 (three of a kind, tens).
    UTG had 8, Q (straight, Queen high).
    Outcome: UTG won $317.10
    Family Cruise IMO
    1- I think not calling turn is a mistake. You lose absolutely nothing by calling, and win lots of bluffs. I don't think he's calling many worse hands to a shove, and vs those you get their stacks on the river anyways 98% of the time.

4- It's okay given so many draws, marginal though. Why do you discount QT/KT? If he's a good TAG reg I'm never discounting those on this board. He must be bluff raising a lot here so gotta have dem QT/KT too.
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    I was pretty sure he had KK or air, and I don't think he's going to bluff air on any river so I want him to fold KK no club.

As it was he called with 1 second left.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Put in just under 2k hands yesterday for +1.5k. I played my A game for the first 90% of the session and then felt that I was going into heat check mode (made two calldowns in medium sized pots that I knew were folds) so I stopped myself and enjoyed my Saturday night at a friend's housewarming party. Also got some surprising news about the job application I had mentioned a while back is still in play. Updates to come!
    Family Cruise IMO
    2k hands today, -1.5k, as always just huge swings. Disappointing since I thought with my new approach I could enjoy some less stressful grinding.

I definitely had to stop for fear of tilt/bad play, and it also didn't help being 1k under EV. I think I spewed 2 buyins towards the end of the session that were really bad. One was a 4-bet shove with A2s into an unknown (without a read it was bad...he turned out to be a nit) and the other was this. Gonna try to post these bad hands so I can stay accountable:

Villain seems like a normal tag. I felt like if I c-bet I'm going to b/fold and this is a board that ppl will bluff raise/float a lot, c/calling seems awkward but they're going to be stabbing at this board 90% of the time when I check so c/folding seems weak (but probably 2nd best after b/folding). Instead I took probably the worst possible line. Not sure what I was even thinking so I stopped after this:

No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (4 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) ($209)
    BB ($310.85)
    UTG ($230.90)
    Button ($387.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7
    UTG bets $5, 1 fold, Hero raises $16, 1 fold, UTG calls $12

Flop: ($36) 6, 10, 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG bets $25, Hero raises $192 (All-In), UTG calls $167

Turn: ($420) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($420) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $420

Results:
    Hero had 7, 7 (one pair, sevens).
    UTG had 10, 9 (two pair, tens and nines).
    Outcome: UTG won $418
    Last edited by Ravageur; 04-03-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Obviously the hand itself is madness..but call pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Well if you think they bluff raise and float a lot then b/3bet seems pretty good there.. but yea call pre
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Well after a month or so of papers and waiting...I got my mortage pre-approval. Shipit!

I hired a real estate agent and am gonna start shopping around this week. I'll prob post some updates, maybe some pics of stuff I'm looking at. My budget is relatively modest but since I'm just looking for a spacious 1 bedroom I should be able to get something nice in a great part of the city. Pretty excited about all this.

And since everything seems to happen at the same time, I also out of the blue got a call for that job application I put quite a while ago and had two phone interviews last night. One went kind of rough, the other went fine. I think I do a webcam interview sometime this week.

Now just time to poker run good to match some life run good.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Played a bunch today, mostly what I think is my A game but I had a few dips. The problem I'm having is that I'm interpreting some of my wilder bluffs as being tilt when I don't think they're bad until I run into the top of villain's range (over and over again). So I really need to try to be objective and not results oriented about those kind of things. So far this month, I've had some solid EV death (2k under EV so far in only 11k hands, WHEEEE) and also seem to be running top two into bottom set about once every 300 hands. Throw in still probaby getting it in too light in 4-bet pots (this run is making me consider muckign qq pre, wth) So yeah, not going great so far. I'm super tired tonight, so not gonna post any hands. Will try to put some up tmr. Goodnight!
    Family Cruise IMO
    Dude.. heard the news.. amazingness!

You'll for sure keep grinding lol...but this is still sweet. Drinks in T.O when you're in for UFC imo. Unless this will knock you off the rakerace haha.
    What kind of job if you don't mind discussing? Congratulations!
    One less reg on my tables. :P

Congrats man!
    Managed to play 1.5k hands for +750 so all in all a good day. Went and saw Source Code and despite the good reviews I had read the last 20 minutes ruined it for me. I could think of so many better ways to end that movie in a far simpler way that is both more satisfying to the viewer and doesn't take the overly convoluted bad matrix route that they took.
    Last edited by Ravageur; 04-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Not much to report on the poker front, was up 1k yesterday, down a few BI today. Have put in 20k hands so far in April, mediocre volume but I'm trying to avoid dwelling on that.

I'm getting amped up to start visiting some condos and to my surprise there are actually some pretty awesome looking ones in great spots at the top end of my budget. I'm such a fish though I have to be careful not to snap buy something without doing due diligence. My parents are telling me stuff like - 'what are the floors made out of, what kind of heating...or 'oh that kitchen is too small to cook in'- which I'm all oblivious to but then I'll see something baller like a fireplace and get giddy even though the place won't have a shower. So yeah....I'm learning some perspective.

I'll wait to post pics until I have it narrowed down to a couple places because atm there's about a dozen that look interesting.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Par for the course. It seems to be impossible to dodge the real death runs, even when I think I'm playing my A game. It seems to always happen right at the start of my sessions so I find it harder to stop since it seems ridic to start a session and then stop right away when I've barely played and I'm not yet tilted. Yesterday I was down 1k in the first 300 hands and here was today. I managed to stop after 1k hands but ...wtf?

Here are some of the bigger non flip/AK<AA hands...there's a few marginal shoves but all in all I think I played ok. So far it's been a very frustrating April. Maybe I should go back to playing my B game

Villain was unknown so def not a reg. I think it's close but it's a blind war so he should be bluff raising the flop a decent amount and I don't really like calling and owning myself on some bad turns so I think getting it in is ok.

No-Limit Hold'em, $2.00 BB (4 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) ($467.70)
    BB ($209)
    UTG ($79)
    Button ($368)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q
    2 folds, Hero bets $6, BB calls $5

Flop: ($14) 3, 5, 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets $11, BB raises $30, Hero raises $75, BB raises $172 (All-In), Hero calls $116

Turn: ($418) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($418) 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $418

Results:
    Hero had Q, Q (two pair, Queens and sixes).
    BB had 5, A (flush, Ace high).
    Outcome: BB won $416

Very next orbit vs same villain :

Hero (SB) ($246.15)
    BB ($414.25)
    UTG ($213)
    MP ($365)
    Button ($199.75)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, 7
    3 folds, Hero bets $6, BB calls $5

Flop: ($14) 8, 7, K (2 players)
    Hero bets $12, BB raises $30, Hero raises $74, BB raises $377.25 (All-In), Hero calls $153.15 (All-In)

Turn: ($492.30) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($492.30) J (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $492.30

Results:
    Hero had K, 7 (two pair, Kings and sevens).
    BB had 9, K (straight, Jack high).
    Outcome: BB won $657.40

Again a spot where I feel like people should be bluff raising flop a bit...but maybe people just never bluff...but it seems I Get raised a lot and I fold lots so fak seems like a lose lose situation.

SB ($176.35)
    Hero (BB) ($226.55)
    UTG ($154.10)
    MP ($200.60)
    Button ($200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J
    2 folds, Button bets $6, 1 fold, Hero raises $18, Button calls $14

Flop: ($41) 3, 8, 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets $27, Button raises $69, Hero raises $179.55 (All-In), Button calls $111 (All-In)

Turn: ($401) 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($401) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $401

Results:
    Button had 5, 8 (two pair, eights and fives).
    Hero had J, J (one pair, Jacks).
    Outcome: Button won $398

Villain here folded to lots of 3-bets, so I think he's super weighted towards 77-JJ. Just fml when he timebank slowroll called.

SB ($219.85)
    Hero (BB) ($197)
    UTG ($324.95)
    MP ($200.35)
    Button ($199)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, Q
    2 folds, Button bets $6, 1 fold, Hero raises $18, Button calls $14

Flop: ($41) 3, Q, 4 (2 players)
    Hero bets $26, Button calls $26

Turn: ($93) 4 (2 players)
    Hero bets $46, Button calls $46

River: ($185) 3 (2 players)
    Hero bets $105 (All-In), Button calls $105

Total pot: $395

Results:
    Button had J, Q (two pair, Queens and fours).
    Hero had 9, Q (two pair, Queens and fours).
    Outcome: Button won $392

THis is the only hand I don't like. I should just fold flop though I was surprised by what he had. His stats are like 24/20/6

SB ($361.85)
    BB ($179.05)
    Hero (UTG) ($219.60)
    MP ($650.40)
    Button ($87.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, K
    Hero bets $7, 3 folds, BB calls $5

Flop: ($15) 4, K, 10 (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $12, BB raises $41, Hero raises $200.60 (All-In), BB calls $131.05 (All-In)

Turn: ($359.10) 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($359.10) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $359.10

Results:
    BB had K, A (one pair, Kings).
    Hero had Q, K (one pair, Kings).
    Outcome: BB won $356.10

And just for fun, my 5th time on the bad end of SOS in the past 2 weeks (i have set over setted someone zero times in this period)

SB ($200)
    BB ($602.10)
    UTG ($433.25)
    Hero (MP) ($165)
    Button ($104.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3, 3
    UTG bets $7, Hero calls $7, 3 folds

Flop: ($17) 2, 3, A (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $12, UTG calls $12

Turn: ($41) K (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $31, UTG calls $31

River: ($103) 9 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $77, UTG raises $383.25 (All-In), Hero calls $38 (All-In)

Total pot: $333

Results:
    UTG had A, A (three of a kind, Aces).
    Hero had 3, 3 (three of a kind, threes).
    Outcome: UTG won $598.25
    I think the JJ hand is a mega standard shove on flop.

Q9 hand I think is too thin. I don't disagree that he has some 77-JJ, but if you look at hand combos for his CALLING range which is the only t hing thats important here, its way heavily weighted towards QJ-AQ than for lower pairs.
    It wouldn't be fair if I also didn't post my upswings if i'm going to whine about the downers. Since last graph:

Some whale gave me 4 stacks today and I had a bunch of 70/30s hold as well. Fun stuff.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Being lazy not making any condo posts, so finally gonna post some pics of one of the front runners so far. I'm going to see 2 or 3 more today and then another one on monday. Hopefully I can get all the visits in this week and then start tackling the decision making process. This one has great location (mile-end district for MTL people), but no balcony, and it's a loft style place which is great for a bachelor like me but not sure it will still be 'hip' in a few years. It's on the 2nd floor and overlooks Saint Laurent which is sweet. Another con is there's just the one big window so no window in bedroom although the wall opens up to let some of the window light in. Do you see what this stuff does to you? It gets you talking about bedroom lightning. I visited it yesterday and really dug the layout of the place and it all struck me as pretty baller. There's also a garage below if I ever needed a car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Family Cruise IMO
    I love the big window, but not having any other windows would tilt me. I personally wouldn't want to buy a condo if I thought there was a chance I wouldn't like it in a few years.

GL with your viewings. I looked at 10+ places before choosing a place to RENT... I can't imagine trying to find a place to buy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Yeah I've checked out now well over a dozen places in person and so many more online. I've got it narrowed down to 3 and barring any new listings I'll be choosing one of those if they're still available (that's what so tilting about it all...you can finally make the huge decision and then find out it's sold). Two are new, one is used but has a nice balcony out back + good location + cheap condo fees though it's a bit smaller than the above one. Gonna be a tough decision for sure.

Pokerwise i'm slacking hard, spent the afternoon looking at places and only put in 1.5k hands for like +100 and played 1k hands yesterday for -200 so not going anywhere atm. To be honest though my poker results are pretty secondary to other stuff for the next little while so I'm not being too hard on myself about it. March was a huge grind! Also, sun is finally coming out in MTL so I wanna get out and enjoy it a little.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Bedroom light is overrated imo especially in the summer when your trying to sleep.
    I would usually agree with you. I live in a basement suite right now, though, so I really miss light I walk around my place in the middle of the day and it's like being in a cave without the lights on. Plus I feel like I would be more of an early riser if I had more light coming in when it's morning (which would be good because I don't think getting up at 12 pm everyday has been +EV for me)
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

I'm generally an artificial light person... rarely open my blinds/curtains too much but I still feel like it would tilt me not having that option and a bit of light even.
    Poker has fallen down in my list of priorities this month and while I've put in 26k hands this month I've probably only played 5k hands in the past week. Zero today as I was dealing with some stuff with the bank, condos, and my new job. Hopefully tomorrow I can get in an early session before I have to do more condo/bank stuff.

Condo update! Here are two other ones in the mix atm. Both of them are less 'baller' than the first one I posted and one of them needs a bit of work, but in some ways they seem more liveable to me. Both of them also have balconies and one has a second bedroom for an office. Thoughts are welcome!

#1: The colours are terrible in this one but painting is no big deal:

Nice area of MTL. The one I'm looking at is the balcony you see on second floor overlooking corner.

#2:

Bit of a quieter area but close to number 1. Has bigger balcony out back for BBQ'ing and comes with a parking spot but only has 1 bedroom and is a bit smaller. I'd redo the kitchen and bathroom since it's outdated. This one is also about 10-20k cheaper than the other two.

This one is up all those stairs on 3rd level on the right.

Last edited by Ravageur; 04-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    No bedroom pics? The first one seems pretty big/spacious to me. Its so hard to say, cause it would be so expensive to get things as big as the first one in Toronto!
    Lol at the artwork in the second to last picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
    lolol, make sure they include that in the price!

I think that last condo's designer was colour blind. What's with the red (cherry maybe) wood cabinets and the maple or pine wood flooring. The all black and grey neutral furniture on a earth tone wood floor is also pretty hard to look at.

Other than the yellow paint on the first one, i like the lines and the space set up. Most condo's these days love to put hte kitchen right in the middle of the condo so you have to walk through it to get in the living room.

Let the flaming start!!
    the one with the red kitchen looks pretty f awesome until you get to the red kitchen
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I think that last condo's designer was colour blind. What's with the red (cherry maybe) wood cabinets and the maple or pine wood flooring. The all black and grey neutral furniture on a earth tone wood floor is also pretty hard to look at.

Other than the yellow paint on the first one, i like the lines and the space set up. Most condo's these days love to put hte kitchen right in the middle of the condo so you have to walk through it to get in the living room.

Let the flaming start!!
    Lol all I'm thinking as I read that was "queer eye/metro" and then let the flaming start got a hefty chuckle out of me.
    LOl yeah the cherry cabinets are awful, I would definitely paint/fix that. BUT! Big news!!! (for me). I put in an offer on a condo today. It's the one with the terrible colours (lime green + pink bathroom ftw) and girly decor (turns out it's a gay couple that's been living there, and since I am pro gay rights I feel like this is a good omen). The kitchen is awesome, bathroom is great except for pink, balcony is right off kitchen which I like and there's a separate office for work/grinding. It's also in a pretty centrally located awesome neighborhood surrounded by some greats restaurants and bars. Also good is that since there's only 3 apartments in the building the condo fees are really low since there's no real upkeep. Some places you can be paying 200-300$/month just in condo fees and have to attend montly meetings and a bunch of BS (doesn't include municipal and school taxes which vary from 2k to 5k/year. This place taxes are 2k/year + 60$/month in condo fees which is sweet. The problem is...since it's awesome they're probably going to get a ton of offers so I am about to be thrown into a bidding war which might take it out of my price range. Cue the run good one more time dealer.

Here are more pics of the place:

Mine is the one with the balcony, 2nd floor on the corner

Last edited by Ravageur; 05-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
    Hah, I walked into the bathroom with the real estate agent and she immediately asked the selling agent if the artwork came with the place! I don't think the seller realized she was being sarcastic...language barriers ftw.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Congrats on the offer, run good one time! I think that condo looks great! I love the kitchen so much (obv other than the paint, lol).

i don't like the place in the first post, both of the places you posted 2nd time around look good. More space is never a bad thing, check out what street noise is like for all of them and be prepared to spend a little on money on paint if that's the only downside.

the one you've put an offer on looks great.
    lime green was definitely a bold and aggressive play, maybe a sign that that place has the potential for fostering a laggy lifestyle conducive to massive swings.

pretty exciting if you ask me
    when the vpip's are high and the value bets are like razors, who can be safe?
    you're def the Official Montreal SwampRat
    Whirlwind day - cliff notes are that I got the condo (pics above) for what I think is a pretty stellar deal so that's really great. I can't wait to get settled into there - I live in the Montreal Swamp (thus the swamprat title) so this is going to a huge upgrade. All sorts of other stuff going down (bank/deposit/building inspector/mortgage/new intimidating job) which is sort of overwhelming me at the moment. Hopefully I can get a grip on things tomorrow. I move into the new place June 15th.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Congrats on the condo. Pretty exciting.

Montreal is a great place. I lived there for many years and sometimes I wish I could go back.

Cheers,

P
    Sweeeeeeet, that's amazingness! Congrats, looks pretty sweet.
    Thanks guys. I'm very happy about the condo, the more I talk to people to people the more I'm confident I made the right choice. Building inspection is on tuesday, I should have my mortgage picked out next week (i'm leaning towards at least a 5 year fixed if I can get it around 4.x%. If any Canadians have input on this it's welcome) and I'm going to try to push for the ability to make double payments + lump some payments yearly. If things were to go well I want to pay this sucker off ASAP.

As for Poker...well....there's so much being said about what's going on already that I'm just going to take the route of 'wait and see'. I'm pretty devastated for the american pros I know...what a nightmare. There's nothing I can say to help, only that this really really sucks.

I put in over 2k hands today so far , my first session in some time and I lost a tiny bit and played decently but not great. This whole month has been so busy for me that it's impossible to place too much focus on poker, so I'm just going to try to play when I can and not do any damage. I'll be putting in a few sessions over the next few days for a rakerace. Updates to come.
    Last edited by Ravageur; 05-04-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Thanks guys. I'm very happy about the condo, the more I talk to people to people the more I'm confident I made the right choice. Building inspection is on tuesday, I should have my mortgage picked out next week (i'm leaning towards at least a 5 year fixed if I can get it around 4.x%. If any Canadians have input on this it's welcome) and I'm going to try to push for the ability to make double payments + lump some payments yearly. If things were to go well I want to pay this sucker off ASAP.
    i'm not canadian - but in nz there are mortgage offers that are pretty flexible. Some banks call them 'simple variable' with a floating rate and no fee to switch over to fixed at short notice and no fee etc for making ex-schedule extra payments. Can't really go wrong fixing below 5% though, and banks won't like it but will eventually give you a deal where you can make zero-fee extra payments once they realise you are serious about it.
    One approach is to talk to a mortgage-broker, get their best deal, then take this deal and go talk to the banks direct using a 'can you beat this?' pitch.
    Dyl- check that website I told you about and try to negociate the best rate. I wouldn't pay more than 4%, every .1% less u pay will save u thousands in the long run.

edit: may have to pay over 4%, think its a good rate especially historically and all the worries about inflation etc... This site is decent too: Canadian Interest Rate Forecast
    Last edited by Alexos; 04-17-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Family Cruise IMO
    God, I hope no Americans are reading this because my whining will seem so incredibly insignificant compared to the bullshit they are forced to deal with.
    Regardless, I need a vent post due to how much poker has been owning me since I took a 4-day long break last week. It also doesn't help that I just made the biggest purchase of my life and am thus on an incredibly thin roll. It would be pretty annoying to have to grind nl 100 which is what I'm looking at right now. On an even more depressing note, the job that I received seems now very much in jeopardy (as I previously mentioned it's in the poker industry). I feel like I'm a little piece of lint in a dryer being thrown around over and over. I just hope I land on solid ground come May.

Past 2 days of fun - I'm only like 8 BIs under EV this month so that's not even out of the ordinary, I just never have the best hand and keep putting buyins in drawing dead over and over in what I think are good spots.

Some hands:

Hero (SB) ($398.44)
    BB ($200.13)
    UTG ($247.54)
    MP ($227.15)
    Button ($224.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 3
    1 fold, MP bets $6, 1 fold, Hero raises $19, 1 fold, MP calls $14

Flop: ($42) 5, 4, 9 (2 players)
    Hero bets $27, MP calls $27

Turn: ($96) K (2 players)
    Hero bets $48, MP calls $48

River: ($192) 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets $303.44 (All-In), MP calls $132.15 (All-In)

Total pot: $456.30

Results:
    Hero had A, 3 (high card, Ace).
    MP had K, J (one pair, Kings).
    Outcome: MP won $453.30

Just for the LOL

SB ($209.65)
    BB ($287)
    UTG ($197)
    Hero (Button) ($227.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, 7
    1 fold, Hero bets $6, SB raises $19, 1 fold, Hero raises $44, SB raises $107, Hero raises $177.70 (All-In), SB calls $82.65 (All-In)

Flop: ($421.30) 4, K, A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($421.30) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($421.30) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $421.30

Results:
    Hero had 7, 7 (full house, sevens over Kings).
    SB had A, K (full house, Kings over Aces).
    Outcome: SB won $419.30

SB ($193.30)
    BB ($261.50)
    UTG ($205.50)
    Hero (Button) ($295)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, J
    UTG bets $6, Hero raises $20, 2 folds, UTG calls $14

Flop: ($43) 6, J, 2 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $26, UTG calls $26

Turn: ($95) 8 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $50, UTG raises $159.50 (All-In), Hero calls $109.50

River: ($414) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $414

Results:
    Hero had 7, J (two pair, Jacks and sixes).
    UTG had J, J (full house, Jacks over sixes).
    Outcome: UTG won $412

His sizing owned me into thinking he was pricing himself in with KK/QQ spade. This hand is pretty meh though I could fold pre/flop/turn.

SB ($214.27)
    BB ($200)
    UTG ($203)
    Hero (MP) ($427.05)
    Button ($205.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, 10
    1 fold, Hero bets $7, 2 folds, BB raises $21, Hero calls $16

Flop: ($47) J, A, 2 (2 players)
    BB bets $25, Hero calls $25

Turn: ($97) 8 (2 players)
    BB bets $73, Hero raises $379.05 (All-In), BB calls $79 (All-In)

River: ($401) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $401

Results:
    BB had A, A (three of a kind, Aces).
    Hero had A, 10 (two pair, Aces and tens).
    Outcome: BB won $398

SB ($100.03)
    BB ($225.35)
    UTG ($242)
    Hero (MP) ($338.65)
    Button ($198.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5, 4
    1 fold, Hero bets $7, Button calls $7, SB calls $6, 1 fold

Flop: ($23) K, 6, 2 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $17, Button calls $17, 1 fold

Turn: ($57) J (2 players)
    Hero bets $38, Button calls $38

River: ($133) 8 (2 players)
    Hero bets $150, Button calls $136.10 (All-In)

Total pot: $405.20

Results:
    Button had A, 3 (flush, Ace high).
    Hero had 5, 4 (flush, Jack high).
    Outcome: Button won $402.20

SB ($201.30)
    Hero (BB) ($195.30)
    UTG ($287.10)
    Button ($235.16)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, J
    2 folds, SB bets $5, Hero raises $16, SB calls $12

Flop: ($36) J, 4, J (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $18, SB calls $18

Turn: ($72) 7 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $46, SB calls $46

River: ($164) K (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $113.30 (All-In), SB calls $113.30

Total pot: $390.60

Results:
    SB had 4, 4 (full house, fours over Jacks).
    Hero had A, J (three of a kind, Jacks).
    Outcome: SB won $388.60

SB ($170)
    Hero (BB) ($203)
    UTG ($444.40)
    Button ($225.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 10
    2 folds, SB bets $7, Hero raises $22, SB calls $16

Flop: ($48) A, 4, 5 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $26, SB calls $26

Turn: ($100) 7 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $56, SB raises $120 (All-In), Hero calls $64

River: ($340) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $340

Results:
    SB had 4, 4 (three of a kind, fours).
    Hero had A, 10 (one pair, Aces).
    Outcome: SB won $338

wheeeee
    Family Cruise IMO
    Bleh, another short session today with bleh results. 3 BIs under Ev, -500 and I misplayed a couple hands versus a mega-whale.

Examples here:

He was literally doing completely random stuff, making huge bluffs, calling pre with any 2 and peeling 4 high no draw on flops. He was running at 63/51/35% 3-bet lol.

SB ($241)
    BB ($214.15)
    UTG ($227.15)
    Hero (MP) ($398)
    Button ($242)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, A
    UTG bets $6, Hero calls $6, Button calls $6, SB calls $5, BB raises $43, 1 fold, Hero raises $392 (All-In), 2 folds, BB calls $169.15 (All-In)

Flop: ($446.30) 10, 9, 6 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($446.30) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($446.30) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $446.30

Results:
    BB had 8, K (straight, ten high).
    Hero had K, A (high card, Ace).
    Outcome: BB won $443.30

not that impressive but fun to be right

SB ($201)
    BB ($62)
    UTG ($991.36)
    MP ($197)
    Hero (Button) ($420.97)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4, 4
    UTG bets $6, 1 fold, Hero calls $6, 2 folds

Flop: ($15) 3, 6, 8 (2 players)
    UTG bets $8, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($31) A (2 players)
    UTG bets $18, Hero calls $18

River: ($67) 3 (2 players)
    UTG bets $60, Hero calls $60

Total pot: $187

Results:
    Hero had 4, 4 (two pair, fours and threes).
    UTG had J, K (one pair, threes).
    Outcome: Hero won $184

Solid board for him to 3-bet/fold imo

SB ($200)
    BB ($617.13)
    UTG ($196)
    Hero (Button) ($524.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4, 4
    1 fold, Hero bets $6, SB calls $5, BB raises $22, Hero calls $18, SB calls $18

Flop: ($72) 4, 9, 10 (3 players)
    SB checks, BB bets $40, Hero raises $125, 1 fold, BB raises $260, Hero raises $375.10 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $672

Results:
    Hero had 4, 4.
    Outcome: Hero won $870.10

And then my big mistake. I really should just flat pre here...no point trying to push a small edge this deep but I really though he would make huge spazzes like he had been doing.

Hero (SB) ($896.10)
    BB ($200)
    UTG ($475.13)
    Button ($193)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9
    UTG bets $6, 1 fold, Hero raises $19, 1 fold, UTG raises $39, Hero raises $155, UTG raises $306, Hero raises $721.10 (All-In), UTG calls $124.13 (All-In)

Flop: ($952.26) J, 10, Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($952.26) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($952.26) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $952.26

Results:
    Hero had 9, 9 (one pair, nines).
    UTG had A, A (one pair, Aces).
    Outcome: UTG won $950.26

In other news, I started a full time position today. It's definitely a bit of a shock knowing you have to wake up with real responsibilities beyond just putting in a session at some point but I have a feeling it might lead to some positive changes, meeting some new people and I'm all for that, so all in all I'm trying to take it in stride with an open mind. We'll see how it works out, hoping for the best.
    Family Cruise IMO
    that last hand is insane, but obviously you thought UTG would get it in with AQ/Ax even that deep.

congrats on getting a condo, paid for with poker profits. that's a 'baller for life' story if there is such a thing

I hope the new job is everything you hope it will be!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    Ambition is fucking great, but you're trying to dig up gold with a rocket launcher and are going to blow the whole lot to shit unless you refine your tools
    I agree about your 99 assessment. But I'm more from the, there's no point getting it in with what MIGHT be a small edge but likely a DOG, when you will certainly have a much bigger edge in other hands.
    Haven't been updating this as much mainly because poker has taken such a backseat. In the past week I've put in about 7k hands at NL 100 for +1.2k which has been a relief. I should be rolled for NL 200 again soon which is the ultimate goal. Once I have steadier income I may be able to aggressively move up in stakes since I won't have to withdraw which is something that's been lacking in my poker development the past year.

As for my condo stuff, I settled on going with a 5 year variable rate mortgage. I went with this because since I intend on making some lump sum payments to pay it off faster, the savings that I should accrue on the low rate now should trump any future higher rates. As with anything though, there's always some roadbumps. Just when I thought everything was set with that, the bank is asking for the condo to be evaluated by a 3rd party, so I need to try to set that up tomorrow before I'm out of town for the weekend. I'm already counting the days till I move in June 15th and I can stop worrying about some impending fail.

This weekend I'm heading to Toronto for UFC 129 at Rogers Center. I'm an unashamed GSP fanboy so while this is going to be sick, I always get a bit nervous when I'm watching his fights live. There will definitely be a wee bit of pre-gaming to take the edge off so I can relax and enjoy it. I'm flying in Thursday and meeting my dad for a meal at Simple Bistro, a resto a good friend of mine works at. It's supposed to be good french food done by an asian chef so looking forward to that. Then on Friday night, Alexos, Griffey, their gfs and me (fifth wheel ftw) are going to Ame (amecuisine.com) which should be amazing. Then saturday night we are in a private box for UFC, so heck...life ain't so bad .

Also, spring is finally coming around here in Montreal. Played a couple sets of tennis yesterday, and while I was rusty it has me pumped for tennis/golf this summer. I'm almost tempted to break down and get a car so I can do a bit more golfing but I've become pretty addicted to the ease of MTL public transportation.

Will definitely post a trip report when I get back. GSP gogogogogog
    Last edited by Ravageur; 04-27-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    life sounds good atm. I'm confident you can quickly get back to 400nl+ when you don't have to withdraw to pay for living expenses.

more pics imo

tennis/golf are baller sports. so is basketball obv... when I think about it football is the only major sport that definitely doesn't seem baller. thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    Ambition is fucking great, but you're trying to dig up gold with a rocket launcher and are going to blow the whole lot to shit unless you refine your tools
    Yeah never got into football just caus it takes so many people + lots of organization + rules and I was a skinny kid in high school. I signed up for both a soccer and a softball league tuesday and thursday nights this summer. Soccer for some cardio, softball for making some friends and apparently it attracts attractive opposition.

Put in 2k hands today for +3 BI, bringing me to +15 BI over 8k hands at NL 100. I'm even running above EV (in some sick way I wish I wasn't running good because I want to save whatever small rungood window I have for higher stakes). It also helps that there are some savage whales at NL 100. Case and point:

No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($110.03)
    BB ($87.94)
    UTG ($200.61)
    MP ($105.26)
    Hero (Button) ($127.37)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q, Q
    1 fold, MP calls $1, Hero bets $4, SB calls $3.50, 1 fold, MP calls $3

Flop: ($13) Q, 4, 9 (3 players)
    SB checks, MP bets $2.50, Hero raises $16, 1 fold, MP calls $13.50

Turn: ($45) J (2 players)
    MP bets $45, Hero raises $107.37 (All-In), MP calls $40.26 (All-In)

River: ($215.52) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $215.52

Results:
    Hero had Q, Q (three of a kind, Queens).
    MP had 3, 4 (one pair, fours).
    Outcome: Hero won $234.63

Tmr morning getting condo evaluated then heading straight to the airport for TO. Gonna be sweet.

Also Habs/Bruins Game 7 tonight which is going to be a huge sweat. I'm losing my nerves after all this game 7 madness...I was pulling hard for the Canucks last night and was so sure they were going to blow it ....until they didn't.

Cheers.
    Family Cruise IMO
    I was pulling hard for the Canucks last night and was so sure they were going to blow it ....until they didn't.

Cheers.
    Bink!

Have fun in TO, really wish i could be there.
    T.O. was fun. Quick TR:

Thursday night went out to Simple Bistro, a small french cuisine restaurant in the Mount Pleasant district. Had Elk Osobuko (sp?) which was tasty but I probably should've gone for some classic steak frites action. My friend who works in the kitchen sent out a bunch of oysters and since I'm an oyster fiend that made my night. I think long long longterm it'd be fun and crazy as hell to open a restaurant with a buddy. I can't cook, so I would have to be in charge of the other stuff. I am fully aware that something like 8/10 restaurants never make money and tons go out of business in the 1st year, so I would definitely only do this when I could handle that sort of swing.

Friday me, Alexos, Griffey and their GFs went out to Ame, a Japanese restaurant. I had high expectations and hmm...I have mixed feelings on it. The decor was awesome, the wine was awesome, some of the dishes were amazing (sashimi, sushi, some salads, lamb) but it let me down in a couple ways. It was a communal restaurant so everyone shares everything and we had a ribeye which was overcooked and there was a couple things which were just ok and i dunno - the ambiance in a big swanky Toronto restaurant just felt strange with everyone wearing suits and stuff. If you're wearing a collared shirt in MTL you are pretty safe to go just about anywhere. Just different cities, one with a huge thriving business class, the other with more of an artisan population.

Saturday was the UFC, and it was good, but the GSP/Shields fight did disappoint, though it's not George's fault after he had to fight through this:

YouTube - Sheilds poke GSP

We were in a box suite which was cool, but we got stuck with a group of sportsbetting degen d-bags which sucked.

On the job front, I'm still waiting to really sink my teeth into things - so I still have no idea what my schedule lifestyle will be like with a real job.

On the condo front, everything is settled except setting the date with the notary. the LAST hurdle is within sight, I'm pretty pumped.

On the Poker front, I've put in some hands on ongame and PKR with ok results, but I'm not playing enough to really say much about these sessions. I do know that PKR is way softer than even Ongame, but it's annoying to have to deal with super slow software when I've been getting used to putting in 1k hands/hour. I'll have to decide if the higher winrate is worth it over volume (I'm thinking it is).

Updates to come!
    Last edited by Ravageur; 05-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    I have taken great pleasure in this blog, so I refuse to let it die, even if I don't have too much to say either than an update. Work is going fine - it will pick up next month when I take a trip out of the country to meet some of my co-workers. June 15th I'm still moving into the condo so I'm in the process of getting insurance, organizing signing date with notary, and yes..wait for it...picking out colours as I have found a painter to repaint it the week I move in. I think i'm just gonna do a grayish off-white and then if I want to add colour in one of the rooms/bathroom I can do that later when I have time to properly consult someone since I have zero faith in myself.

I've mostly stuck to the four-hour body diet, but I finally hit my 'peak' when it comes to lifting. There was a funny moment when I was trying to do pull-downs (the thing where you're sitting down with a pad above your knees and you pull down a bar towards your chest). Since you have to increase the weight everytime (you only do 1 set of 7ish reps), I had nearly gotten to the bottom of the rack since I'm 3 months into this regime. After 3 reps, when I got the bar down to my chest, I didn't have the strength to control it on the way back up and the bar literally picked my entire body up off the ground and elevated me. I got some pretty good stares from my fellow meatheads as I scrambled to get my feet on solid ground.

When you reach this point, it supposedly means that you're not eating enough or not drinking enough water, but I think it's just that I'm too small to be doing any more weight. Since I don't trust myself to try to put on a bunch of weight (any excuse to eat garbage will spell disaster) - my plan is to do some alternative free weight exercises and start at a lower weight and work my way up until my 'peak' and then who knows.

Soccer and softball season is starting in a couple weeks, which i'm looking forward to. I've been making some new friends through the job lately, but it's a pretty male-centric culture so I'm dying to meet a new female face or two, especially since it's spring-time and the hormones are racing (TMI)?. Apparently softball is actually good for this although I can't imagine why - but I will embrace my inner underhand thrower with an open mind.

On the poker front, my volume sucks but I've changed back to a fishier site and am now back comfortably playing NL 200. With less time to play, winrate is more important than rakeback/volume so I'm just going to focus on winning since big downswongs are going to be particularly painful if this is all the volume I can put in.

May so far - the NL 200 is on PKR which is the slowest software around so it's not as bad as it looks :

Family Cruise IMO
    Poker update! My play has been sparce, but all in all May was a good month poker and lifewise. The new job is interesting if still a bit mysterious. Poker volume is way down, partly because of the job, partly because of condo stuff, partly due to laziness and mainly due to playing a lot on PKR where volume is about 300 hands/hour. I think I played ok - and I'm happy that I took consecutive shots at NL 400 despite running shitty every time which seems to be my deal everytime I move up. I'm sure it's affecting my play somehow. 3k under EV this month - but after seeing all the stuff Griffey is going through, I will just take my quiet modest month.

I'm really looking forward to June. New condo, a Euro trip for the job and some great weather in Montreal are going to make for the start to a great summer. I will hopefully be able to post some pics of the place once I'm moved in and it's painted.

May 2011:

+ $500 redeposit bonus and + 400 rakeback.

Cheers!
    Family Cruise IMO
    gj man! quite the spike at the end there, that's what I call a good quit.

where are you going in europe?
    I'll be headed to the UK.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Pretty exciting day for me today. This morning was the signing day, and I now have the keys in hand and am about to head to the new condo to start the painting/redecorating/renovating process. There's not all that much to do, so hopefully by next week things will be fully operational so to speak.

Can't wait, pics to come!

Oh and yeah - i've played like 500 hands of breakeven poker this week, and i couldn't care less!
    Family Cruise IMO
    Awesome. Lmk if u need any help.

awesome dude, run hot with the new place!
    New place is living up to expectation so far. One semi-interesting thing. The bar that's right across the street is far wilder than I expected. Picture at least 30 people chilling outside the bar smoking/chatting at 2:30am on a wednesday night. While this can suck for noise level late at night - i don't think I really care. Kind of cool to feel like i'm part of the vibrant city and not hiding out in the subu*cough Alexos*rbs. But it might get tilting if hammered people are nonstop interrupting my sleep. It is also hipster central, so I expect to get berated for not wearing a 1983 retro Nintendo t-shirt. We shall see!

Painting is such a bitch, went at it with a real painter tonight for a few hours after going out for an unreal meal at Garde Manger with RedZilla and Genitruc in the Old Port, and I'm utterly destroyed.

Nighty night!
    Family Cruise IMO
    While, - work life seems to have taken over, but I think I've just made my last 'baller poker purchase' at least for the foreseeable future. Here it is:

Maxwell Leather Sofas | Sofas | Restoration Hardware

A 96' Leather couch! Yes - i'm spending more on this than I probably will on food for the next year, but apparently these things are indestructible and will be the focal point of my little bachelor's pad for years to come. I have a bad habit of falling asleep on couches anyway, so I figure i might as well splurge on a good one rather than a bed lol.

I havent played a meaningful hand of poker in about 3 weeks, but I will hopefully get back to the tables with a tiny bit of regularity in a week or so. Happy summer to you all.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Ravageur; 07-04-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Family Cruise IMO
    Anyone up for some Poker for this weekend? Which room do you guys usually play?
    jesus fricking christ ......is the only thing you are able to post digging up long dead threads and asking where people play in the fairly certain knowledge that they wont be responding.......quit doing it else i'll just delete the posts as spurious irelevent posts adding nothing to FTR's content.