Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation Make Money

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I have a couple suggestions for making your post more accessible to other players. however, the bottom line is that this post is your brainchild kmizz

the data charts make a lot more sense to me today whereas yesterday they somewhat confused me -- lol fatigueaments. regarding these charts my suggestion for improving the readability would be to italicize information that 'clarifies' what you are saying [i.e. parts that explain how to read the chart] and more spacing so the information is easier for the mind to navigate through.

Quote Originally Posted by kmind
    Vs. 35%er (does this mean vs someone who raises preflop with 35% of total hands?)(AA-22,AKo-A2o,KQo-K9o,QJo-Q9o,JTo-J9o,T9o,98o,87o,AKs-A2s,KQs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s,87s,76s,65s):
    Flops:
    Type 1 (23% or less): Kh5c4h, K52r, JJ2r, Q55r, Q53r, KJ4r, 552tt, 732r, Q72r, J73r, 733, 884tt, K33r, K32tt, 862r, KQ8r
    Type 2 (under 30%): J43tt, J75r, Q74tt, Qc5h4h, AATtt, , 963r, Qh8h7c
    Type 3 (under 38%): AJ5r, A75tt, QhTh5c, 873r, Th7c5h, 8c6h3h, ATTr, A54r, A85r, A53r, AQ5r, QJJr
    Type 4 (under 45%): Ac3h2h, KJ52m, 983r, 977tt, 7h6c3h, 9h6c3h, 984r, JT2r, AJ4tt, A84tt, AcKh3h, Ah9h7c
    Type 5 (46%+): AJhTh, QhTh9c, 988r, Q76m, 9h8c7h, Th9h6c, AcKhQh, 4h3h2c
    Conclusion: Rainbow, K-rag-rag and paired boards rarely hit their range. Jhi and Qhi, even two toned, rarely hit their range as well. Axx and middle/drawy boards hit their range very well.
    I have heard of but don't entirely understand the 'Type 1, 2, etc' concept regarding board textures. Can you briefly explain how they are designated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    Ambition is fucking great, but you're trying to dig up gold with a rocket launcher and are going to blow the whole lot to shit unless you refine your tools
    Thanks Vi. I actually had to reformat my entire post last night when I transferred the article from a neatly done Word document. I will go back and try to italicize some stuff. I'm awful at writing so any more suggestions is great.

Anyways, the 23% or less, under 30%, etc. is just saying, for example, Kh5c4h hits that range 23% or less given the conditions I set and talked about if that makes sense. Another example is the QhTh9c flop hit that range 46% or more. So the QhTh9c flop hits that range MUCH more than the Kh5c4h flop in the "Vs. 35%er" study. The "Types" is just organizing each flop a little bit to make things easier (or so I thought) to read .
    Read it. Didn't understand enough to truly appreciate it. Though readability would go through rough if you conditionally formatted your charts. Light red for negative values, that way people can see cut offs quicker. Maybe light green for very positive numbers.

P.S. If you suck at excel I can do it for you fairly quickly.
    I think that's a great idea. I'll be able to do this but I do appreciate it! I'll just have to wait until later tomorrow night I think as I have some things to do in the morning/afternoon.
    Haven't read yet, but plan to.
    i read it and it was a great read. One question though...say we are cbetting 3 into 5 so we only need our bet to work 37% of the time. None of the boards you are posting are hitting a range even close to the cut off in terms of whether or not a cbet is going to be +EV. So wouldnt it be profitable to just go ahead and cbet way more.
    Quote Originally Posted by philly and the phanatics View Post
    i read it and it was a great read. One question though...say we are cbetting 3 into 5 so we only need our bet to work 37% of the time. None of the boards you are posting are hitting a range even close to the cut off in terms of whether or not a cbet is going to be +EV. So wouldnt it be profitable to just go ahead and cbet way more.
    Thanks a lot man!

I'm a little confused though. Some of the boards I did post are hitting the ranges over 37% of the time. All of the type 4 and 5 boards are hitting >38%. Maybe I'm not writing clear enough or I am missing your question. But yeah, in a vacuum, if a board is less than 37% in your example then it will be +EV to always bet at it; however, you have to take into account villain's frequencies such as how often they float or if a delay cbet would be better etc. This is this article doesn't tell the whole story still of course.

Thanks roid! Hope all is well with you and let me know if you have any questions/comments please.
    yea we would need them to be hitting 63% of the time (ie our cbet ONLY has to work 37% of the time)
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean to include Type 4, i was dumb and about to edit my post, but sometimes Type 5 boards can get up to 63% so you have to be careful there.

Anyways, yep, that was something I found out as well. I remember Daven being confused on why people cbet so much as he plays a much less frequent cbetting game and I guess this helps show that it is +EV to cbet a ton of flops. Again though, Daven's strategy still might be better because there's other variables we have to take note on and sometimes not cbetting in a clear +EV spot is more +EV.
    Thanks a bunch for this post Kmind.

One of my goals is to improve my cbetting approach and your post provides me with lots of data and information to think about what I should be doing. I have re-read it a number of times already and I am sure I will keep going backt to it as I work on my ABC poker game. This is great.

Cheers,

P
    your 4k post is turning into fucking gold! The hard work you put into this has translated for me into new insights.

love the red/green shading of the charts, makes them even easier to read

I can't wait to try raising Kxx flops vs MP/LP TAG opens and watch them folddddd lol

/bookmarked
    Ambition is fucking great, but you're trying to dig up gold with a rocket launcher and are going to blow the whole lot to shit unless you refine your tools
    PutaForkInIt - that's awesome! I'm always extremely thrilled if I can help someone else in anyway so I appreciate the kind words and hope it truly is useful to you.

Vi - thanks man! Awesomely nice words from you and I appreciate that. Haha great luck experimenting! Tell me how it goes
    I'm fucking tilted. I wanted to get in a good amount of hands today but fuck that. Whine whine whine. I don't play higher stakes but I can only think that running this bad at micros is worse because of the random hands you see go in preflop yet it doesn't matter they'll hit. They have no idea what they're doing is what causes the most tilt.

Running bad DOES affect me. It really does. I just did a stupid shove. If my "read" was right it was probably +EV but still not necessary but guess what I didn't have a good read. Just because someone is 3betting the crap out of you in the first 50 hands you have on them doesn't mean it's ALWAYS garbage. Truth be told it's hard trying to maintain an A game, for me, when running like this.
    Last edited by kmind; 03-09-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    I was being a bitch and I apologize. I think what would really help is to study more concepts like I did in the 4k post. I know I have the tools available to me to do so it's just a matter of doing it. I think next up might be 3-betting or playing out of the blinds. I very briefly studied playing out of the blinds but I could definitely go back to it. Over my last 28k hands I'm only losing at -2.77 in the SB which I think is decent. It's no MDoranD, but decent.
    Don't worry man, variance will turn in your favor eventually.

At this point I think you have all of the technical skills you need to beat 100NL or lower. This is just speculation, but possibly your biggest leak is kind of autopiloting (or not playing your A game, as you said). Obviously you're paying attention to what you're doing and not in full zombie mode, but can you honestly say you're taking all information you have available into account and making the best decision consistently (I don't know if its a yes or a no but interested to hear)?

I mean, take all the hands from your last session. If you were given 5-10 minutes for each hand I think you could make the correct decisions in the vast majority of the hands. You have enough knowledge at this point to do so. I think the area to work on is actually applying this knowledge during sessions and during the time constraints of a hand. Not just making your usual play but considering the unique aspects of each specific situation (even the seemingly trivial ones!)

Could be way off here, just my 0.02

By the way, planning on reading your 4k post in the next couple of days. Def looks pretty interesting/helpful.
    Appreciate the thoughtful post, kfaess. Ironically, I took a walk today and this was basically the EXACT thing I was thinking about. I have decided that obviously the std. KK < AA, QQ < KTs, etc. crap (i.e. coolers) cannot be changed if I could have thought about what to do for 5 minutes. However, pushing 22 allin pre with 100bb stacks/trying to bluff in big pots are things that should VERY RARELY happen at my stakes and these are the hands I need to take a deep breath before making my action.
    Stay focused Kmizzle, I know you can do this!

If you feel like you're gonna tilt, or feel like you're getting frustrated, just quit or take a 20min break. Comeback fresh and sit at new tables without those regs pissing you off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    how's it goin kmizzle?
    My superstition of not posting in this thread or my staking thread has come to an end, just like VCU's tournament run . That was a lot of fun and I'm really proud of them and what they accomplished .

I'll update this and my staking thread more. Griff knows that it was just superstitious.
    Kmind, make some fucking money plz. k, thanks.

GL.
    Thanks daaaaawg! I'm going to review my stake so far hopefully tomorrow but sometime soon!
    alright.. superstition is over now.. lets see some progress!
    So my basketball season finally came to an end as we lost in the semi-finals (there's like 7 teams total though haha). The team we faced is really good and won last year and we were up 11 at one point which just makes me feel like I could have done more to win. Anyways, I am exhausted so this post will be shorter than I hoped.

Here's the stats and graph so far of this stake.

Decent winrate I guess running 10bi below EV. I also feel like I have experienced my fair share of coolers as well. But of course I feel like I have played realllly poorly in some situations. Specifically 3bet pots which makes me want to study that subject in great depths. I still need to reread my 4k post article as I seem to have gotten away from that lately. I keep missing with AK and keep getting owned in those spots so I have to either stop cbetting as much in 3bet pots or have a big plan post. The latest FT update also f'ed up my tableninja forcing me to miss a few days so sorry about that griff!

Heading to my gf's tomorrow and will get a lot of playing done there.
    positive winrate is positive
    Good job kmizzle. keep it up!

Thanks for the update.
    Ahh I make way too many dumb plays. It seriously kills my sessions. I was able to hold back a little today thankfully but still showed a little too much aggression. It's hard to find a balance with who I can play back and who I can't when there's an endless supply of different regs. It also amazes me that there's a dude playing 26/26ish over a ton of hands 20 tabling 25NL and actually played decent. There's also a ton of "regs" that make such ridiculous plays it's tilts me because I give them waaaay too much credit for being smarter.

Anyways, I want to focus a lot on 3betting and will be hopefully examining this area heavily.
    Making less dumb plays in big pots but still a few in smaller pots. Blah!

Since visiting the gf I'm up about 6 or 7 buyins in over 3k hands. Hope to keep playing better. Really studying a tonnnnn.
    Nice man, keep it up!

resultsss?
    I've been updating in the stakes in progress thread again. Might want to check those out

Playing a home game with a friend and his friends down at VA Tech tonight. Should be mainly just shooting the shit so should be fun but won't know anyone.
    Kmizzle most profitable stakeee ever GJ but stop making ppl money, more for yourself, amirite?
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    Well I haven't paid griff anything and I probably shouldn't say this but I WILL scam him once I complete the stake. Griff is a horrible person and deserves it! I only like making money for you man you know that.

I'm already out in the home game. What the f. I'm the second person to lose my stack but the first to not buy back in. It was awkward haha. I tried saying goodbye to all of them but they gave me the weirdest looks like who the f is this guy? Oh well.

P.S. I lost to the WORST person playing of course. 222 < AAA on a 872A7 board probably like 65bb deep. GG. He also bet the minimum each street post and just flatted pre.
    Keep grinding - live poker can really suck.
    Thanks, Robb. Always enjoy you stopping by.

3bet question: When is it better to have raw equity vs. a 3bet calling range and when is it better to have flop potential vs. a 3bet calling range? When would you rather have a hand like T9s vs. A7s? A7s will have great equity on most flops vs. a calling range while T9s will create more flops in which we can hit draws and stuff. With A7s we can call more and with T9s we should be betting more to semi-bluff.

In general, vs. aggro guys who can fold we want to bluff more because we can and it's profitable, but with A7s we'll have great equity anyways so why not build a check/calling range with Ahi's and maybe smaller/mid PPs?

I guess vs. the nittier guys we need to have hands with greater flopping potential as their equity > than ours on most flops anyways. But drawing vs. a tightish player in a bloated pot kind of sucks unless he can fold. Seems like we just need to either be c/f starting on the flop or firing just once if bluffing in most cases.

Tbh my mind is elsewhere (scared about my poker future) so some of this may not make sense and is extremely easy but feel free to chime in!
    Well, I don't know what to do. I've been on a poker study/playing binge the past week up until the 15th. My gf and I were driving home that day when the news hit so I had no idea until a few hours after. I was testing sending emails with my new phone. When I looked at my emails I received one from my FTR boss. I had no idea what was going on still even looking at the scary subject title. I opened that as well as a few replies and my heart sank. I was with my family and didn't want to rush upstairs to my computer so I politely continued as usual in the conversations.

The rest of the night would turn out to be, in my opinion, a top 3 in the worst nights of my life. And I mean that. And, unfortunately, poker was just part of the problem. I won't go into details with the other stuff but it was a day destined to irritate and frustrate me.

Now the other stuff that happened that night barely affect me. They still do but not nearly as much as this poker ordeal. It's not just the funds in my account and how I'm going to pay back griffey and all that because trust me that's the first and foremost worry I have, but now I'm worried about my other ways of making income.

This leads to thinking I need to relentlessly send resumes in hopes of a full-time position. This is what my parents want. This is what my friends expect. This is what my gf's uncle's best friend expects. I'm not ready for it. I was content where I was 3 days ago. Having a full-time job at the potential places I've looked at will surely make everyone but myself happy. My parents will certainly tell me how they're glad I don't play anymore and say how they know my life is better. All I know is that I have played sports competitively all my life and have been decent at almost all of them. I was also a decent student and graduated from college. But nothing, NOTHING, will compare with how much effort and time I put into this "hobby" and what life lessons I have taken away from it.

Ironically, my phone CAN send emails. Cool.
    Last edited by kmind; 04-17-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Do what you want, otherwise you will resent your gf, your friends, and everyone else. Resentment is a cold that grows with time........

Ironically, Friday for me was pretty shitty with my gf of 4 years saying its done...
    Ouch! Sorry !Luck...pretty sure you win, which basically means you lost . Sorry man. Good advice. Just to clarify my gf is fine with how I'm living I was just using a random acquaintance situation.
    Gl kmind.

If you make decisions that feel right to you, then no matter what happens at least you can say, well I made the best decision for me at the time. Given what I knew then I'd do the same again. If you live your life for other people if things do not work out as planned you will not have the great position to draw stength from. Instead you will always be wondering what would have happened if you followed your heart and did what you really wanted to do.

If you do what everyone else does, you will be average. If you do what is right to you personally, making your own decisions and living by them, not only will you sleep easier at night, but your horizons will be unlimited.

I really think you should think about what you like doing, whatever that may be and then look at ways you might be able to make money out of those areas of your life. If you do decide to get a job vs going into business, make sure it's a job you are going to enjoy. Gl man
    Thanks, Gary. Appreciate all the advice.

For my bday I'm giving out a present you may or may not know about: Free Holdem Manager reports, stats and SQL queries

That should help HEM users study a little better. Who knows it may not help at all but I just found this site right before Black Friday and it made me giddy. There's also a "premium" section on the site now but I have the premium ones from when it was free. Not sure if it's "cool" to post that.

Also, no need to wish me a happy bday! I don't want you thinking I'm looking for attention haha just thought I needed to share something for my bday after everything the FTR members, former members and administrators have done for me. Verrrrry small gift in return .
    Last edited by kmind; 04-27-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    yea yea happy bday!
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

happy birthday!!

what sorts of jobs are you looking for? I could use some good ideas for my own job hunt
    How about a one month later response, Vi (sorry!). I was looking for anything so I couldn't really help you .

That said I did finally get a job. I'm going to be an assistant to a travel agent. Apparently, the clients are all assholes and rich. I have to sign something to make sure nothing private leaves the office. What I learned "private" meant is that people will call wanting to go on weekend getaways with, well, someone other than their spouse. Third most stressful job in America so sweet. Also, pay isn't that great to start out and I will be paid hourly with no benefits . Because of that, I am going to do my best to keep my FTR job as well. This at least makes my parents happy. Hoping I'll like it. Boss/co-workers seem nice but I've been told numerous times I will get yelled out. I'm sensitive .

As far as poker I haven't studied/played in a long time. It was weird but just like that I had no more interest. I'm not sure it's a huge sigh of relief that I didn't know of (if that makes sense) or if I just needed a small break. Either way my money is still locked at FTP.

As far as personal stuff I haven't been doing too much lately. My gf is away in Europe for 2 weeks. Some personal shit is actually going on with my gf right now and I just hope it all works out. I just bought a guitar to help my boredom. This one's acoustic though I have an electric that I don't play anymore at all. I also need to go on a diet. I WANT to diet/p90x/learn the guitar but have little faith in myself.
    does live play not appeal kmind, or you just completely had enough of poker for time being?
    He's always been fairly BR conscious so live would be hard even if he was close to a casino except for the odd night out for entertainment. It's why so many US guys here aren't just taking their $1K rolls and playing live.
    dude i know how you feel right now

RUSSSSEEELLLL WILLLSOOOOOOONN
    Man stop competing me for suckyness!

But good luck man.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmind View Post
    I WANT to diet/p90x/learn the guitar but have little faith in myself.
    come on bud...you're clearly a bright mother fucker, you have the willpower to do any of those things.
    Slevin - no casinos near by so it's just not worth it plus I kind of want to try out new hobbies such as the guitar. I keep a lot of things bottled up so something to release my problems should be good and poker just adds more stress.

philly - literally lol'd. God he looked at Auburn. Will be crazy if he ends up at a good school and plays. Appreciate the willpower comment man. Always love encouragement.

!Luck - I love competition. Let the sucking begin! Good luck to you too.

Nice post too Jyms . Hope your bday was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmind View Post
    3bet question: When is it better to have raw equity vs. a 3bet calling range and when is it better to have flop potential vs. a 3bet calling range? When would you rather have a hand like T9s vs. A7s? A7s will have great equity on most flops vs. a calling range while T9s will create more flops in which we can hit draws and stuff. With A7s we can call more and with T9s we should be betting more to semi-bluff.

In general, vs. aggro guys who can fold we want to bluff more because we can and it's profitable, but with A7s we'll have great equity anyways so why not build a check/calling range with Ahi's and maybe smaller/mid PPs?

I guess vs. the nittier guys we need to have hands with greater flopping potential as their equity > than ours on most flops anyways. But drawing vs. a tightish player in a bloated pot kind of sucks unless he can fold. Seems like we just need to either be c/f starting on the flop or firing just once if bluffing in most cases.
    I'm back and a year and a half later this will be one of the first topics I cover.

I've set a few rules for myself in regarding this blog:

1. I cannot post anything negative about poker (in regards to my play/"luck")
    2. I cannot post here unless it's answering another poster or if I've written at least 2 paragraphs of actual content
    3. Post most if not all of my studies and findings into this blog
    4. Rarely post graphs and never post all-in EV/red line
    Last edited by kmind; 09-20-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Good luck sir, you can do it!
    respect

I instruct you to post a graph including all-in EV/red line.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexos View Post
    respect

On it! Will post tonight!

And def. edited my previous post
    Last edited by kmind; 09-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Good luck sir, you can do it!
    Thanks!

One of the main goals of this operation is to get griffey his part of the money that FT has.

I need to write a life update too. Hopefully later tonight. I'm at work now.
    I think the main operation of this blog should be to own poker, become a huge baller, and then decide to pay me back what FT has cause it'll be a drop in the bucket for you

That's a better goal imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexos View Post
    respect

Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    I think the main operation of this blog should be to own poker, become a huge baller, and then decide to pay me back what FT has cause it'll be a drop in the bucket for you

That's a better goal imo.
    I like the sound of that

Might be a taddddd hard to do but anything is possible!
    Good to see you grinding again. Good luck.
    Thanks, iLuck! (I kid I kid)

So as you can see that graph is a ridiculously small sample. It's all the hands I've played since BF, minus like 4 HUSNG games. Time for a life update.

For some reason I thought I had last updated this thread in May of this year but I guess not...

Since May of last year, I started my job that I currently work at. I am an assistant to a travel agent. When I first started there was another assistant around my age. He ended up quitting(?) later in January. Actually, he left for lunch and never came back. I hear he's in Austin now but who knows. The guy had a ton of problems, drug and alcohol related, plus he had to have been bipolar or something. He was nice to me though so I liked him but he did show up to work often high and/or drunk.

Anyways, the rest of 2011 was ok personal wise. In the first week of 2012, I went on my first company meeting, which was in Birmingham. It was pretty crazy where most everyone was trying to hook up with someone and most were married. I obviously wasn't having it as I'm actually loyal to my significant other but can't say the same to others.

That was the beginning of the worst year of my life. On January 23rd, my best friend texted me he was sorry about one of my ex girlfriends. I had no idea what that meant. Then my heart started pounding and I checked facebook (sucks that you immediately think "oh crap I bet facebook would tell me). She had passed away that morning after a courageous battle with terminal cancer. She battled for I believe a year and a half and I had no idea about it. I was and still am in shock. I literally could not sleep for about 5 days. This girl was really cool. While we didn't work out as a couple, there was no ill feelings towards each other, at least on my end. It was just too much to think of all the times we had together and knowing she wasn't alive anymore. She was a great person and even told her mother days before her death that she wasn't scared. God bless her.

I realize this post is getting long and I don't need to go into great detail but after her death, 2 more (extended, but still close) family members passed away from cancer.

Soon after this, my only close friend, who's been my college roommate every year and is basically a brother, moved away to New York with his girlfriend to pursue a graphic design career. This sucks for me. I have my girlfriend and a few other friends here which is great but nothing will fill his void.

As things finally started getting a tad more normal my dog was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I was pissed and still am. He's family to me. Him and I would do a lot together when my best friend left. He ended up passing earlier this month. I honestly cried more about him than the other 3 that passed this year. I love all of them in a way, but this dog was someone I saw daily and it just wasn't and isn't the same.

Fast forward to now. My girlfriend and I have moved into a new apartment. It's pretty awesome. I have a mancave which I'm pumped about. Finally feels good to be out of my parents' house again though they're cool.

We also went to Vegas in August. It was an awesome time. I had to go for work so some of it wasn't too fun but at night it was amazing. Didn't get any poker in though unfortunately.

Back to my work. It's really stressful and actually pretty hard. My boss is a dick and one of the most heartless person I've ever met. So, I finally snapped and told him I was quitting. He was shocked and I read emails where he keeps saying I'm going to regret this blah blah. Fuck him.

So not much poker in the last 3 weeks when I started because moving in/work/trying to apply to a new job. This is where I stand.

Cliffs:
    - I have a job
    - 2012 sucks
    - I am quitting my job
    Last edited by kmind; 09-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Thanks for cliffs
    *HUG* kmind, sorry you've had such a tough year. Good luck finding a new job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    No problem, kickass!

Thanks Courtney! All good though. Hope you are doing well too!