Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

A poker journey, now complete.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms
    I was just pointing out a fact. I have no intention of deleting any threads, I haven't in the past nor in the future. I just figured I would let you know that I could. You guys may continue with your little soap opera that is the IRC and all have a little laugh, but do us a favor and keep your grade 5 childish games out of FTR and stick to what you are trying to do and that is to get better and fold to $10K. Last I checked I never spoke in this thread but I sure as hell noticed my name dropped in a reference meant to cause a stir. If you didn't want to play the game then don't.
    Jyms hasn't deleted any threads in the future.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooG690
    I was just pointing out a fact. I have no intention of deleting any threads, I haven't in the past nor in the future. I just figured I would let you know that I could. You guys may continue with your little soap opera that is the IRC and all have a little laugh, but do us a favor and keep your grade 5 childish games out of FTR and stick to what you are trying to do and that is to get better and fold to $10K. Last I checked I never spoke in this thread but I sure as hell noticed my name dropped in a reference meant to cause a stir. If you didn't want to play the game then don't.
    Jyms hasn't deleted any threads in the future.
    Mods can haz time travel.....ask Stax but keep it on the d/l.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Stax is a feesh.

Illfavor: although your initial outburst that started this mini hijack was immature, I think you did a very good job at realizing the flaw in your previous thought and took care of it in a very professional manner. You were able to indentify the mistake you made, admit to it, and then carry out a sincere public apology. Even though I don't know you in real life, afer speaking with you many times I can tell that you aren't the type of person who thinks about things like that to say (if ever at all), nor means them. Sometimes it's just too easy to type away on the internet without any consideration to what is being publicized. So before anyone just quickly skims the few posts above, I hope they don't come to incorrect conclusions about you based on a meaningless sample size of data.
    Most, I said most, IRC regs have been there for long enough that if they could have any honest thoughts within themselves they would see that they are just part of a clique with intentions of bringing others down and not really helping themselves.
    IRC = good and bad.
    I use it to rant to an empty universe about the state of my game and bankroll, sometimes I get an answer.
    I use it to go over hand histories.
    I use it to talk about poker stuff.

Often I go in there, see that there is nothing poker related going on, post a hand, see that there is still nothing poker related going on, then leave.

regardless, there is a lot going on in there that is about helping people progress as poker players - definitely not just bringing others down (although if i got offended by being called stupid...)
    continuing the threadjack;

I guess Im not invited to the IRC rooms where this bringing down of others is occuring. If it is happening then Im pretty sure its a dumb place to be.

As for regular IRC chat, ya most of the time there is very little actual poker chat going on and its a shame.
    your banner burned here
    jyms' idea of the IRC is just unbelievably idiotic and ill-informed, but there's really no convincing people like that so I won't try.

Daven and Speed, your depictions are more accurate, but tbh if you'd like to talk about something poker related when I'm in there and you don't feel like the main chat room is willing then resort to PM'ing people like I do. Otherwise, it's hard to be upset when spontaneous poker talks don't erupt when most people are grinding/pr0n.

If you're in the IRC and want to talk poker, I will never ever ignore a PM, and will be glad to learn something from you guys are maybe teach you something you didn't know. So if you've got something to say or ask, then I'm definitely willing to talk about it (as are most of the people in there when separated from the general raucousness of the main chat.) I'm only in there about 30 mins. a day on average now simply because I don't grind and chat at the same time (though apparently I spend that whole time talking about jyms or something). When I first started going in there, Spoon was much more active in teaching the n00bs good poker lessons, and he's much less so now. Such is the way of things. Maybe it's my job to pick up the torch, being another generation of moderately successful spooninites.

On the OHAIMYOPGAIZ front, poker is going well. I'm studying more and using the small amount of time that I have each day fairly effectively. I'm still clearing their "Biggest Bonus Ever" bc I play like 500 hands a day, but the BR is growing. I'm playing some HU SnGs right now because I'm not astute enough at HU handreading to play HU cash (even on about 90 buyins), but those are going pretty well. School is busy and times is tough but the beat goes on.

An interesting thing I've noticed with my poker progression is that when I'm can clearly identify my opponent as being a specific player type, I tend to make many more "snap" decisions that are correct, but when I don't (for various reasons) I struggle with more basic stuff. Hm.

Also, meditation is good.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor
    jyms' idea of the IRC is just unbelievably idiotic and ill-informed, but there's really no convincing people like that so I won't try.
    Pretty much.

Daven and Speed, your depictions are more accurate, but tbh if you'd like to talk about something poker related when I'm in there and you don't feel like the main chat room is willing then resort to PM'ing people like I do. Otherwise, it's hard to be upset when spontaneous poker talks don't erupt when most people are grinding/pr0n.
    This last sentence pretty much hits it. It's like there are these expectations that there are supposed to be awesome poker discussions going on 24/7 in there (even with the lack of decent discussion on FTR for the most part, not counting a handful of threads in the SH and HS forums). God forbid some poker players just want to talk and shoot the shit.

If you're in the IRC and want to talk poker, I will never ever ignore a PM, and will be glad to learn something from you guys are maybe teach you something you didn't know. So if you've got something to say or ask, then I'm definitely willing to talk about it (as are most of the people in there when separated from the general raucousness of the main chat.) I'm only in there about 30 mins. a day on average now simply because I don't grind and chat at the same time (though apparently I spend that whole time talking about jyms or something). When I first started going in there, Spoon was much more active in teaching the n00bs good poker lessons, and he's much less so now. Such is the way of things. Maybe it's my job to pick up the torch, being another generation of moderately successful spooninites.
    ldo x 6. There's probably not a day that goes by unless I'm particularly busy that I'm not in there helping people with questions. I've never seen anything close to that from anyone who has complained about IRC, ever.

On the OHAIMYOPGAIZ front, poker is going well. I'm studying more and using the small amount of time that I have each day fairly effectively. I'm still clearing their "Biggest Bonus Ever" bc I play like 500 hands a day, but the BR is growing. I'm playing some HU SnGs right now because I'm not astute enough at HU handreading to play HU cash (even on about 90 buyins), but those are going pretty well. School is busy and times is tough but the beat goes on.
    Play cash and you'll crush, just pick off short-stacks avoid regulars.

An interesting thing I've noticed with my poker progression is that when I'm can clearly identify my opponent as being a specific player type, I tend to make many more "snap" decisions that are correct, but when I don't (for various reasons) I struggle with more basic stuff. Hm.
    Oh gee I wonder why =P

Also, meditation is good.
    Thank god.
    lol didnt mean the post to sound like too much of a complaint, I wouldnt hang out in there all the time if I hated the place. :P

and ya there are peeps I pm for pokers talk, just sometimes we get good discussion when more hands are posted in the main channel than have been recently. Nothing at all wrong with just shooting the shit to break up the daily grind though.
    your banner burned here
    Ran "worse than I thought possible" today. -6 buyins in spots I can't really do anything about really. Got rivered for a gutshot 4 times for stacks, 2 set<flopped flush, etc. Sigh...every time I play HU I get thrashed by some hyper aggressive who hits the nuts in 3bet pots.

Edit: Just reviewed the session. I did not play anywhere near optimally in tons of spots. Man I am a HU spewtard right now. Back to SnGs I go.

Some HHs:

Villain is extremely aggressive pre and post flop. I seem to struggle with these types a lot. Like..a whole lot.

I just didn't see a 6 in his range I guess

$0.25/$0.5 No Limit Holdem
    2 players
    Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
    SB Hero ($50.00)
    BB Darkstar9 ($78.15)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 2 players) Hero is SB
    Hero raises to $1.50, Darkstar9 calls $1

Flop: ($3, 2 players)
    Darkstar9 checks, Hero bets $2, Darkstar9 calls $2

Turn: ($7, 2 players)
    Darkstar9 checks, Hero bets $5, Darkstar9 calls $5

River: ($17, 2 players)
    Darkstar9 bets $14, Hero calls $14

Final Pot: $45
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Darkstar9 wins $44.50 ( won +$22 )
    Hero lost -$22.50

I guess this river is a c/f...even tho he gets there w/and Q 3 4 and PP 44-99 in his range.

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Darkstar9 ($101.95)
    BB Hero ($50.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 2 players) Hero is BB
    Darkstar9 raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50, Darkstar9 calls $3

Flop: ($9, 2 players)
    Hero bets $4, Darkstar9 calls $4

Turn: ($17, 2 players)
    Hero bets $14, Darkstar9 calls $14

River: ($45, 2 players)
    Hero goes all-in $27.50, Darkstar9 calls $27.50

Final Pot: $100
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Darkstar9 wins $99.50 ( won +$49.50 )
    Hero lost -$50

This is mostly std.

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Hero ($62.00)
    BB Darkstar9 ($165.65)

Darkstar9 checks, Hero bets $3, Darkstar9 raises to $12, Hero goes all-in $60.50, Darkstar9 calls $48.50

Turn: ($124, 2 players)

River: ($124, 2 players)

Final Pot: $124
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Darkstar9 wins $123.50 ( won +$61.50 )
    Hero lost -$62

I dunno about this. Villain takes this like w/KQ, two pair, sets and basically all flush draws (as I would later find out).

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Darkstar9 ($116.60)
    BB Hero ($166.50)

Darkstar9 raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50, Darkstar9 calls $3

Flop: ($9, 2 players)
    Hero bets $4, Darkstar9 raises to $14, Hero goes all-in $162, Darkstar9 goes all-in $98.10

Turn: ($283.10, 2 players)

River: ($283.10, 2 players)

Final Pot: $233.20
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Hero wins $49.90 ( lost -$116.60 )
    Darkstar9 wins $232.70 ( won +$116.10 )

Again, so many fucking draws in his fucking range:

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Darkstar9 ($237.35)
    BB Hero ($50.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 2 players) Hero is BB T 8
    Darkstar9 raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Flop: T 8 7 ($3, 2 players)
    Hero checks, Darkstar9 bets $2.50, Hero raises to $10.50, Darkstar9 goes all-in $235.85, Hero goes all-in $38

Turn: 9 ($287.35, 2 players)

River: Q ($287.35, 2 players)

Hero shows: T 8
    Darkstar9 shows: J 4

Darkstar9 wins $286.85 ( won +$49.50 )
    Hero lost -$50

I guess he only gets it in w/the nuts?

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Hero ($50.00)
    BB Darkstar9 ($287.60)

Darkstar9 checks, Hero bets $2, Darkstar9 calls $2

Turn: ($7, 2 players)
    Darkstar9 checks, Hero bets $5, Darkstar9 raises to $15.50, Hero goes all-in $46.50, Darkstar9 calls $31

River: ($100, 2 players)

Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Darkstar9 wins $99.50 ( won +$49.50 )
    Hero lost -$50

My largest pot:

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Darkstar9 ($156.90)
    BB Hero ($252.80)

Hero says "see?", Darkstar9 raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Hero checks, Darkstar9 bets $2.50, Hero raises to $10.50, Darkstar9 raises to $34.50, Hero goes all-in $251.30, Darkstar9 goes all-in $120.90

Turn: ($409.70, 2 players)

River: ($409.70, 2 players)

Final Pot: $313.80
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Hero wins $95.90 ( lost -$156.90 )
    Darkstar9 wins $313.30 ( won +$156.40 )

I dunno wat to do

2 players

Stacks:
    SB Darkstar9 ($343.45)
    BB Hero ($59.90)

Darkstar9 raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1

Hero bets $3, Darkstar9 calls $3

Turn: ($9, 2 players)
    Hero bets $9, Darkstar9 calls $9

River: ($27, 2 players)
    Hero bets $18, Darkstar9 calls $18

Final Pot: $63
    Hero shows:
    Darkstar9 shows:

Darkstar9 wins $62.50 ( won +$31 )
    Hero lost -$31.50

This match was so meh. There are some folds here I think, and I made a lot of huge mistakes. I was probably on tilt tbh. I tried to keep a clear head but he showed down so many gutshots that it was rather difficult to do so. Such spewage
    Ich grolle nicht...
    In the AQ hand you do realize you're deep right? Don't forget the blocker you have to the NFD..

take a break from HU cash for awhile, sorry I didn't look at all the hands time is limited for me right now msg on IRC sometime this week if you want to do a thorough review regarding ranges etc.
    Yea I think I will. I might go play some 25NL 6max and see if I can dick around profitably postflop/make solid plays based on ranges and reads.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    I played some 6max and ran horrendous. Obviously a much much more entertaining format than FR, but I feel like the universe is trying to tell me I'm supposed to be a FR multitabling grinder. I'm mostly fine with that as it's my most profitable format (though I don't really have the necessary sample size in other formats, just that I seem to constantly run bad whenever I play HU or 6max and thusly have lesser impetus to venture into said formats.) I crushed FR last month. Just completely crushed it. So fuck it:

I can haz 15/12/3 stats!

TRUE LIFE: I'M A NIT
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Yeah, us nits always venture back to full ring somehow - it's meant to be homie, accept it, embrace it, love it.
    I can haz 15/12/3 stats!
    haven't seen you on the account i recognise for a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by daven
    I can haz 15/12/3 stats!
    haven't seen you on the account i recognise for a while?
    I've only seen you twice ever (once was last week). The other time was like 12:00 on a weekday for me, which I'm never playing at now.

I also haven't pointed out the obvious connection between the HU play and the great FR stats. Yea..it's helped.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    I noticed today that I was playing way overrolled for 50nl. So I moved up. I have a 5 buy-in stop-loss but I'm just trying to get comfortable, so I'm 6tabling 100nl FR.

I meditated today before I played and I made some plays I almost never make, and snapped off like 4 bluffs in 40BB pots that I usually just give up on (and my range actually suggests is a good spot to bluff so I dunno I guess it's a level?) I plan to do it again every time I play from now on.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    So I moved up. I have a 5 buy-in stop-loss but I'm just trying to get comfortable, so I'm 6tabling 100nl FR.
    run good please.
    also, if you are interested in sweat session irc blah blah blah
    Quote Originally Posted by daven
    So I moved up. I have a 5 buy-in stop-loss but I'm just trying to get comfortable, so I'm 6tabling 100nl FR.
    run good please.
    also, if you are interested in sweat session irc blah blah blah
    Yea actually I am. I have some time around 4 p.m. US-EST and I'll see if you're in there today.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Sweatemented by M2M today. Had a bunch of spots where I could make a nitty fold, or a possibly +EV play and just folded, mostly because of the OP title :P.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    I thought about that QQ hand while driving and I think it's a call, though it's close/marginal. JJ be folding.
    Why was my name dropped up in dis biatch?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX
    Why was my name dropped up in dis biatch?
    I don't rememeber Stax. Something stupid/unimportant.

BR is DrANGEROUSLY close to being halfway to 10K, something like $4940 and if I didn't play again this month I'd hit it through RB/Bonus. Let's hope the run good at FR continues! It seems I do all my run bad at HU and 6max (-15 buyins my last like 5K hands of both total :/). It's pretty bad but if I had never played 6m or HU in my poker career I'd be up like 1K more .

I really am a nit and have embraced it with ease. I am still dabbling in 50NL simply because the loss of a stack at 100NL still affects me a lot. This always happens when I move up and I get over it fairly quickly, but I can remember a little over a year ago thinking "Man....100NL is so far away. I don't think I can ever play for that much money!" and stupid stuff like that. 100NL holds a special place in the heart of a microdonk like myself, though it's all just money and poker. I'll get over soon enough.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    I think we all feel the same way to some degree when it comes to moving up, regardless of whether or not the money involved is material, it isn't fun to watch a bankroll drain faster!

Let me know if you want to set up another sweat sometime, you played pretty well during the last one.
    $5,000 Bankroll, $6,000 in lifetime earnings. I have a post in the works for the BC to share some of the stuff I have learned.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    halfway dude
    keep folding!
    Alright I haven't/won't have any time to play today or tomorrow nor the past weekend, so I'm a little upset about that. On the plus side, I'm thinking about the game a lot and getting some session reviews in. The more I do the more I realize how little I know about this game, but I suppose that's a good thing

I'm also happy to see my friend M2M pwning teh 50nls, finally not being a pussy faggot about moving up stakes, and trying to join me at the 100enels

Oh, I also get to attend the first ever Monday Night Football game in Dallas Cowboys Stadium WATWAT!
    Ich grolle nicht...
    lol, I grew up.

sick dude, enjoy the game.
    I'm pretty much on 100% life tilt right now...SOOOOOOO I'm not opening my FTP client this week! I might play a few SnGs on Stars, but I just can't be held accountable for the relatively large sums (to me) that I have on FTP so I won't tempt myself. I'll get things straightened out!
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Good stuff. We all experience life tilt, and the first step of recovery is recognition - which you've taken care of. Looking forward to seeing you get things straightened out so you can get back to grinding.
    Things are a little better. The gf and I got stuff straightened out and we're getting ready for our Six Flags/Monday Night Football w/Cowboys weekend-apalooza!

And I obv. played some and made monies. The game is slowing down for me a little bit, even when I'm laying slightly tired. @.@
    Ich grolle nicht...
    @@@@@@@@@@@@.@@@@@@@@@@@@ Dallas Cowboys Stadium is fucking awesome! It is just so amazingly great I can't describe it!

Pokerwise, I had my lowest volume in 12 months in September....I'm not sure why, but that's okay. I made some money and can hopefully re-dedicate myself this week!
    Ich grolle nicht...

Default Goals and Life

Some thoughts:

Goals are essential to a driven performance. Those who are most successful have them, abide by them, and do whatever is necessary to achieve them. That being said, it is time for me to acknowledge some things:

-I give up on my goals too quickly, or ignore them entirely.
    -I oftentimes am jealous of those who achieve their goals more readily than I am, but am in turn too lazy, stupid, and arrogant to either acknowledge their success or do something about it my own failures.
    -My personal character can oftentimes inhibit my ability to succeed.
    -I make too many excuses for not doing what I should.
    -I need to face the reality of my situation, and do what is best with a clear-minded understanding driven by reason.
    -If I am to do what I truly want to do with my poker career, it is time to do what I know I must do.
    -I am a fat, lazy idiot. My goals should not reflect these facts.

We all know that actions speak louder than words, and I have said a lot of words in past OPs. I have killed the "Folding to $XXX" Operation because inherent in the title was a lack of self-discipline, understanding, creativity, and humbleness that I think is necessary to succeed in this game. My new operation title will be as simple as I can make it, because all things in life can be represented extremely well in a few simple phrases, said in the correct manner.

I have also said quite a few words to people in this forum that I regret. To those who think less of me due to my past actions, I apologize. At times, my behavior was inexcusable, and I am probably deserving of your admonition.

Perhaps I can make the best of this opportunity. After all, it is quite tremendous what I may be capable of, and even more so that I have the chance to do it.

GL friends.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    It appears you have (finally?) come to terms with yourself and have opened up your mind to 100% honest observation of fact (or what you observe to be fact). You've admitted to us what you need to do to get on track. I doubt many people are capable of what you just did. If we doubt ourselves and ignore what's deep inside, we are destined to fail - but you sir are destined to succeed. Too many of us ignore the fact that we don't try hard enough, that we don't work hard enough, that we don't care enough - I'm guilty of all the above and your post has inspired me. It's so easy to blame things on external sources, but the truth is, this game has everything to do with YOU and what YOU put into it - nothing more. So many of us are dellusional in that we think we 'deserve' something out of poker. It is clear that you think correctly and take full responsibility for your actions, both on and off the table. That deserves alot of respect.

Also, remember what you said - don't just let it sit here in this thread and forget about it. Set some goals, but don't act on a whim - think about what you really want out of this game. What is it you want from poker? What is your purpose of playing? What are your intentions? Why are you here? Etc...

From there you should be able to set correctly aligned goals - which I know for a fact that you have the power to achieve. Planning is power.

Good luck with your fresh start, IRC me anytime you need to discuss anything in regards to motivation/goals/poker/life etc.

I wrote this repsonse before bed. I rambled, so if this shit doesn't make sense, ignore it and just pretend I said good luck
    glad you dropped that topic title. tbh i thought it was horrid, but i was too lazy to say anything.

so... grats! lol