Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

AA NL50 vs. donk

Default AA NL50 vs. donk

The guy's a donk but capable of bluffing

OK, so here is how it went down:
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP) ($106.95)
    CO ($107.75)
    Button ($43.35)
    SB ($49.50)
    BB ($50)
    UTG ($57.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, A
    1 fold, Hero raises to $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, 2 folds

Flop: ($6.75) 4, 7, 5 (3 players)
    Hero bets $6.50, CO calls $6.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($19.75) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets $15.50, CO calls $15.50
    I think he's a on a draw, so I bet big because he's going to pay off big

River: ($50.75) 10 (2 players)
    Hero checks, CO bets $30.50, Hero calls $30.50
    Straight draw missed, flush draw missed, I am checking to induce a bluff and snap calling

Total pot: $111.75 | Rake: $3
    Do you have more reads on specifically what type of donk he is? (e.g. call station) The only hands in his range that beat you are 5d6d, 44, 55, 77, 68s (most of which he would raise a lot of the time since its such a draw heavy flop). I like the check/call on the river here since donks will make those river bets with nuts or nothing and there is a good chance for him to have nothing (the majority of his range if he is a chaser).

I think you created an unneccessarily big pot with a relatively weak hand, but I can't fault you for trying to valuetown a donk. I hope he had AdTd and you pwned him, but I am guessing that was not the case
    preflop reads would help, vs a passive guy who can show up w/ 88-QQ on this river I just b/f. Sucks big time time if he checks his one pair hands thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    xtr stand for exotic tranny retards
    yo
    looks good
    I likes it.
    "This sure beats Super Mario Bros.!" is my ejaculation catch phrase.
    seems pretty good
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    I was more asking about the river because I don't b/f the river a lot, I c/c a lot with medium-strength hands
    With your read it should be more of a c/c than b/f he has a lot of busted draws/shit he might turn into a bluff/value/whatever the fuck he wants to use the "bet" button for yet we beat
    Quote Originally Posted by iopq
    I was more asking about the river because I don't b/f the river a lot, I c/c a lot with medium-strength hands
    i think most of us know what the question was. thats generally a bad strategy you have, but in this spot it is good because the ratio of busted draws + thin value bets to bluffcatchers in his range seems to favor a check/call
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsinho
    i think most of us know what the question was. thats generally a bad strategy you have, but in this spot it is good because the ratio of busted draws + thin value bets to bluffcatchers in his range seems to favor a check/call
    I'm wondering for the sake of learning if you see this as a bet/fold if iopq was in fact to bet river here? If the villian was to shove over here, it is more likely that we are facing some sort of fullhouse-like nut hand, correct? And by c/c we are allowing a bluff such that it widens their range in our favor?
    Quote Originally Posted by STHollywood
    Quote Originally Posted by nutsinho
    I'm wondering for the sake of learning if you see this as a bet/fold if iopq was in fact to bet river here? If the villian was to shove over here, it is more likely that we are facing some sort of fullhouse-like nut hand, correct? And by c/c we are allowing a bluff such that it widens their range in our favor?
    Don't listen to me but I would say yes, you are correct.

He's bluffing or betting worse 2 pair hands quite a bit here when checked to as opposed to folding most worse hands when bet to and shoving better hands.

Although cuz of stack sizes in this situation I would prob b/c if I bet.