Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

First hand of the SNG, what is your calling range?

Default First hand of the SNG, what is your calling range?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 30+1.50 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (2 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t1500)
    Button (t1500)

Hero's M: 50.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with cards,
    Button raises to t60, Hero raises to t180, Button raises to t1500 (All-In), Hero?

You will use the rematch button no matter if you win or lose and start the next match against the same opponent in the time it takes you to complete this hand. Since you're paid by the hour, you feel that as long as your edge in the hand is over 5% (the rake), you will make this call. Our % of the pot is 44%, so to have a 5% edge we need 46.2% equity to make the call. The difficult question is... what is your opponent's range? What should be your assumed range for these stakes?

His OPR had 0 tournaments on him. Does that change your assumptions?
    77 AQ
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.
    id give this a BOD (benefit of the doubt) and fold most everything. I need to see him make a couple of big bets before i adjust.
    88 AQo

?wut
    AQ+, 99+, but its tighter because i'm not reraising that wide.

Also you should probably default rr a little smaller pre
    he definitely had better cards than you. I would have folded off the bat. better luck next time. next time, try and play more aggressive. you'll get him to fold.
    Just played HU S&G $6.25, 4 player turbo. In final villain moved all in first hand. I called with A9s he showed KJo.
    Decided to call because it just didnt feel right, he took ages to make the play (busy on another table)
    I'd want AK or JJ+, other than that I'm folding. It's early on and I you don't need to risk it, you are not pot committed at this point.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    I purty much never 3bet in hu sngs

also, while I realize saying never is bad, you just dont need to be balanced and people cbet/get committed like crazy in these things

edit: obv 3bet jamming when blinds get higher
    his push is suspect. I'd put him on A 10 - AK or any big 2 cards. Your calling range woul be 77 - AK IMO.