Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 336 of 420 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346386 ... LastLast
Results 25,126 to 25,200 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    "professional sandwich makers"

You can't have typed that with a straight face.
    I believe Subway actually calls them "Sandwich Artists".
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    I believe Subway actually calls them "Sandwich Artists".
    I call them "dumb bitch who can't put the right cheese on my sandwich even though I'm standing three feet from her and just told her which cheese I wanted AND pointed to it five seconds ago."
    I don't call them anything because I make my own fucking sandwich.

On the few occasions I've eaten a Subway, I had to load it with jalapenos to to give it some fucking flavour, and to mask that gluten taste somewhat.

Honestly, I'd rather eat plain bread and butter with a glass of warm water.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Today for lunch I had ham and sundried tomato on granary bread. Yesterday it was tuna steak with lemon and thyme on granary bread.

When I fancy a powdery roll with low grade meat and some dry lettuce and half a kilo of jalapenos served to me by someone who looks at me weird when I pronounce jalapeno as halapeno, I'll pay Subway a visit.
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm not here to argue about whether or not Subway sandwiches are tasty. They aren't.

My only point is that there are people in this world, working food service, which is considered the bottom rung of the working ladder....and they can manage to take a sandwich order without having to ask follow up questions.

And somehow, Subway's has found an entire workforce of people less qualified than that.
    Last edited by BananaStand; 01-18-2018 at 03:12 PM.
    Shit nigga Subway might be my favorite food after Asian noodle dishes, some Mexican, and Ribeye.
    The sandwiches are just a perfect mix of trashy and classy. Who doesnt love a good salami sammich with tons of vegetables and some flavorful condiments? ur mom, that's who
    I've literally never had a single issue ordering a sandwich from subway so maybe there is some blame to be placed on you?
    The sandwiches are just a perfect mix of trashy and classy. Who doesnt love a good salami sammich with tons of vegetables and some flavorful condiments? ur mom, that's who
    your mom loves a good salami sammich
    big, if true
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    I've literally never had a single issue ordering a sandwich from subway so maybe there is some blame to be placed on you?
    I challenge you to call them up and say "Hello I would like to place an order for pickup. Large Turkey on white, mayo, american cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle".

I guarantee you that they can't take that order without a follow up question.

Try it.

I dare you.
    Subway sandwiches are meh. The M&M cookies they sell, on the other hand, are the goddamn nuts.
    I'm not here to argue about whether or not Subway sandwiches are tasty. They aren't.

My only point is that there are people in this world, working food service, which is considered the bottom rung of the working ladder....and they can manage to take a sandwich order without having to ask follow up questions.

And somehow, Subway's has found an entire workforce of people less qualified than that.
    $15/hour
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    $15/hour
    I've read recently about rebel Subway franchisee's already refusing to sell $5 foot-longs. There's no profit in it.

How much is a sub going to cost if the labor component increases by 50%

Just to get an idea of of what % of fast food costs is labor-related...consider this.

McDonalds sells 10 chicken nuggets for $4.79.

20 nuggets, $4.99
    I've read recently about rebel Subway franchisee's already refusing to sell $5 foot-longs. There's no profit in it.

How much is a sub going to cost if the labor component increases by 50%

Just to get an idea of of what % of fast food costs is labor-related...consider this.

McDonalds sells 10 chicken nuggets for $4.79.

20 nuggets, $4.99
    I live in an area with high minimum wage and worked in the restaurant industry for a while. I can tell you that the minimum wage made customers get worse service since managers were TIGHT with labor since it was such a huge cost. It was super common to be understaffed and for customers to have to wait longer for everything and get less attention paid to them.
    I live in an area with high minimum wage and worked in the restaurant industry for a while. I can tell you that the minimum wage made customers get worse service since managers were TIGHT with labor since it was such a huge cost. It was super common to be understaffed and for customers to have to wait longer for everything and get less attention paid to them.
    Yeah, but poor tipping is rude. You have no business evaluating the quality of the service you received.

So I doubt it actually cost you anything, assuming you were one of the lucky ones to keep his job. The other servers who got laid off, the owner who has less profits and higher taxes, and the customers who get poor service are the only ones that suffer.
    So let's talk about tipping.

I don't tip.

Who's next?
    So let's talk about tipping.

I don't tip.

Who's next?
    I live in a state where the minimum wage for tip-jobs is significantly lower than the 'regular' minimum wage. Right now servers make $3.27 per hour. So I do feel compelled to tip if I'm being served, regardless of quality of service. There's all kinds of reasons a server might be slow or less than helpful that really have nothing to do with their work-ethic. Rather than sort out what's what, I give the server the benefit of the doubt and pay an amount that I assume gives them a fair wage for fair work.

If I have a problem with that, I shouldn't go into the restaurant in the first place. I know the business model before I walk in the door.

I will not tip for carry out.

I will tip for delivery.

Cashiers with tip jars can go fuck themselves.

I do tip my housekeeper
    I always got the best tips.
    I live in a state where the minimum wage for tip-jobs is significantly lower than the 'regular' minimum wage. Right now servers make $3.27 per hour.
    The state I'm in (North Carolina) is similar.

So I do feel compelled to tip if I'm being served, regardless of quality of service. There's all kinds of reasons a server might be slow or less than helpful that really have nothing to do with their work-ethic. Rather than sort out what's what, I give the server the benefit of the doubt and pay an amount that I assume gives them a fair wage for fair work.
    They're getting paid a fair wage because they agreed to it. Also, I lied about not tipping. I just want to see who quotes it and goes on a rant about me being an asshole.

I will not tip for carry out.

I will tip for delivery.

Cashiers with tip jars can go fuck themselves.

I do tip my housekeeper
    Same, same, same, and the tip my housekeepers get is the tip of my dick.
    I always got the best tips.
    Cleavage? Or tramp-stamp?
    Also, I lied about not tipping. I just want to see who quotes it and goes on a rant about me being an asshole
    Not your best troll.

4/10
    Cleavage? Or tramp-stamp?
    Charisma, confidence, humor, and proficiency.
    Charisma, confidence, humor, and proficiency.
    Whale tail. Got it.
    They're getting paid a fair wage because they agreed to it. Also, I lied about not tipping. I just want to see who quotes it and goes on a rant about me being an asshole.
    And to think I was this close to saying there is no way you don't tip.
    Whale tail. Got it.
    I don't even know hwat that is.
    And to think I was this close to saying there is no way you don't tip.
    I tip delivery people better than I do waitresses.
    I don't even know hwat that is.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I'm now sad that I know what that is.
    Tipping is so fucking annoying. I come from a decidedly non-tipping society, so those freaky habits are hard to manage. Who do I tip, when and how much? Fuck. Why does the waitress deserve more if I buy something more expensive, is the steak twice as much work to carry to the table than the salad? Why don't people tip at the grocery store? Why is it my problem that some greedy bastard don't want to pay a living wage in certain professions? Yeah I do tip, or try to, when I remember.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

I'm not going to tell anyone to clean their own fucking house.

But make your own fucking sandwich.
    ongies gonna ong
    Get the fuck in.

I'm moving to the countryside next week. Middle of fucking nowhere.

This year is awesome so far.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Why does the waitress deserve more if I buy something more expensive, is the steak twice as much work to carry to the table than the salad?
    Does the salad require special cooking instructions in order to meet your specific personal tastes?

have you ever ordered a salad "medium rare"?

If your salad comes out slower, does it change the quality/taste of the food? Timing definitely matters when it comes to steak.

It's more work to deliver a custom cooked slab of beef, served hot and juicy, than it is to carry a bowl of lettuce across the room.
    I fucking hate eating out. Sit at a table surrounded by morons filling their faces, wait while hungry, be forced to go outside to smoke, then eat overpriced food that usually tastes better when made at home. Then be expected to tip even though you just paid stupid money for them to cook it. Then you have to get home. I'm doing well if I can get a sneaky spliff in somewhere.

Fuck that shit.
    ongies gonna ong
    Does the salad require special cooking instructions in order to meet your specific personal tastes?

have you ever ordered a salad "medium rare"?
    You do realize the waiters don't cook the food, right?

If your salad comes out slower, does it change the quality/taste of the food? Timing definitely matters when it comes to steak.

It's more work to deliver a custom cooked slab of beef, served hot and juicy, than it is to carry a bowl of lettuce across the room.
    No it isn't. It's precisely the same amount of work. There's nothing in the waiter's task that justifies a double tip. Stop being silly.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

I fucking hate eating out. Sit at a table surrounded by morons filling their faces, wait while hungry, be forced to go outside to smoke, then eat overpriced food that usually tastes better when made at home. Then be expected to tip even though you just paid stupid money for them to cook it. Then you have to get home. I'm doing well if I can get a sneaky spliff in somewhere.

Fuck that shit.
    I have the same general sentiment about eating alone with some variation in the reasons why.

I like going out with someone (or a very small group) and spending time with them over food though.
    I fucking hate eating out.
    I think you have a serious anti-social disorder

Sit at a table surrounded by morons filling their faces
    Try going out to eat with friends. It's WAAAY better. You have friends right?

wait while hungry
    Do you have a magic machine in your house that cooks food instantaneously? Don't say microwave. It doesn't count if the food tastes like rubber.

be forced to go outside to smoke,
    This might be part of your problem. Quit smoking, and I promise that food will be an incredibly satisfying new experience for you.

then eat overpriced food
    Get a fucking job

that usually tastes better when made at home.
    Maybe. Though your pallette is obviously shit, and nothing you've ever said suggest to me you have any culinary skill. But you don't have to go out and buy the raw food, bring it home, cook it, serve it, and then clean up all the dishes, pots, and pans you used. There's a convenience factor that matters to productive people who don't have massive amounts of free time on their hands.

Then be expected to tip
    You got waited on and served by someone making $3/hour. You don't feel compelled to participate in a common and longstanding custom of providing a gratuity? That's super-ass-hole stuff right there man.

even though you just paid stupid money for them to cook it.
    The server didn't cook it. And why is it "stupid" money? It's not hard to find an entree for under $20. Get a friggen job man.

Then you have to get home
    You'd have to get home anyway. Unless you spend all your time at home and only leave for the specific purpose of going to a restaurant. Which is kinda sad. Most of us have jobs, friends, activities, etc that get us out of the house. Getting home is part of that. Swinging by Applebees on the way isn't really a chore.

I'm doing well if I can get a sneaky spliff in somewhere.
    You are talking like someone with a debilitating, life-diminishing addiction.

Fuck that shit.
    Get help.
    You got waited on and served by someone making $3/hour. You don't feel compelled to participate in a common and longstanding custom of providing a gratuity? That's super-ass-hole stuff right there man.
    I want to clarify this point for people overseas or who may not know:

They don't actually get paid $3/hour. Their employer is required by law to pay at least the normal minimum wage if their employees don't make at least the regular minimum wage with tips included.

Moreover, I do not personally feel compelled to participate in a lot of common and longstanding customs if I think they're fucking retarded.

I think the current approach we have to tipping is to the primary disadvantage of the workers, and I think that one solution to the problem is for everyone to stop tipping by compulsion. I do my part by not tipping by compulsion.

The best approach would be that everyone starts on the same minimum wage (if we're going to have one), but tipping is completely optional. I do not think it should be forbidden because I think that it's stupid to keep people from freely giving something they own to someone else.
    I want to clarify this point for people overseas or who may not know:

They don't actually get paid $3/hour. Their employer is required by law to pay at least the normal minimum wage if their employees don't make at least the regular minimum wage with tips included.

Moreover, I do not personally feel compelled to participate in a lot of common and longstanding customs if I think they're fucking retarded.

I think the current approach we have to tipping is to the primary disadvantage of the workers, and I think that one solution to the problem is for everyone to stop tipping by compulsion. I do my part by not tipping by compulsion.

The best approach would be that everyone starts on the same minimum wage (if we're going to have one), but tipping is completely optional. I do not think it should be forbidden because I think that it's stupid to keep people from freely giving something they own to someone else.
    It's logically sound, but you're trying to override market forces here, and you're just not going to be successful.

First of all, the price of the food assumes that the house pays the server $3, and you pay the rest. If you aren't going to pay the rest, then the house is just gonna jack up the price of the food. It's really that simple.

If 99% of people tip, and you don't, then you'll probably enjoy a much lower price than everyone else will. Your lack of contribution will be diluted by the larger market.

In other words, either play along, or you're an ass hole.
    FYI....if the waitress is hot, I can tell you that leaving a 25%+ tip, along with your phone number written on the receipt has a non-zero chance of success.
    It's logically sound, but you're trying to override market forces here, and you're just not going to be successful.

First of all, the price of the food assumes that the house pays the server $3, and you pay the rest. If you aren't going to pay the rest, then the house is just gonna jack up the price of the food. It's really that simple.
    That's exactly what I want to have happen.

If 99% of people tip, and you don't, then you'll probably enjoy a much lower price than everyone else will. Your lack of contribution will be diluted by the larger market.
    I benefit in this case as well.

Fuck that shit.
    I'm with this part especially. Fuck if I can cook something pretty decent myself or have someone else willing to do it for me why go to a restaurant and pay for it?

Moreover, I do not personally feel compelled to participate in a lot of common and longstanding customs if I think they're fucking retarded..

My brother takes this approach to red lights. He thinks if it's safe to go, sitting there waiting for a light to tell you 'you can go now' is mindless obedience. I tend to agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by banana
    I think you have a serious anti-social disorder
    I wouldn't call it a disorder. You fuckers have a social disorder, I'm perfectly fine.

Try going out to eat with friends. It's WAAAY better. You have friends right?
    Of course. The morons are the people sat at the other tables.

Do you have a magic machine in your house that cooks food instantaneously? Don't say microwave. It doesn't count if the food tastes like rubber.
    I don't use a microwave. And I don't mind waiting in the comfort of my own home, with home comforts like the internet.

This might be part of your problem. Quit smoking, and I promise that food will be an incredibly satisfying new experience for you.
    But spliffs... I did give up for a while, just stopped and had no problem, until I went to a music festival and realised I couldn't walk around with a huge fucking bong.

Get a fucking job
    Pay attention.

Though your pallette is obviously shit, and nothing you've ever said suggest to me you have any culinary skill.
    You clearly haven't tried fresh tuna steak with lemon and thyme on granary bread.

You got waited on and served by someone making $3/hour.
    No I didn't. They're on around $10 an hour in the UK, assuming they 21-24. More if they're older. And even 18-20 they get nearly $8. My last minimum wage job, I didn't get tipped for picking orders at a warehouse. My last minimum wage job facing the public, I didn't get tipped for running fairground rides. So why should I tip someone to bring me my food? That's their fucking job.

You are talking like someone with a debilitating, life-diminishing addiction.
    Sure. It's like being an alcoholic, except with a perfectly functional liver. But really it's because I'm surrounded by morons and need to do something I actually like doing.
    ongies gonna ong
    But spliffs... I did give up for a while, just stopped and had no problem, until I went to a music festival and realised I couldn't walk around with a huge fucking bong.

That's exactly what I want to have happen.
    It's a nice thought, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. With all the fixable yet still unaddressed problems in our economy, stomping out gratuities seems like a frivolous endeavor.

I benefit in this case as well.
    Yeah, that was my point. You're the ONLY one benefiting. Which is kinda douche-baggy, don't ya think?
    Yeah, that was my point. You're the ONLY one benefiting. Which is kinda douche-baggy, don't ya think?
    He's going commie on us.
    ongies gonna ong
    You should sign up for whatever class MMM is teaching. I'm pretty sure bongs are required lab equipment.

Also, spliffs are a pot/tobacco mix right? ditch the tobacco. Your taste buds will thank you.
    Also, spliffs are a pot/tobacco mix right? ditch the tobacco. Your taste buds will thank you.
    Yeah that's what I did. And my taste buds did thank me. However, I like spliffs, and I certainly like being able to walk around with one at a festival, without having to put x4 as much weed in.

I intend to ditch the baccy by my 40th, so I've got the rest of this year to enjoy them.
    ongies gonna ong
    Just smoke it 4x slower.

Or use a pipe
    Pipes don't look like something innocent though, do they? It looks like I'm smoking weed. If I have a spliff, well people can smell it but so long as it's not hanging out your mouth it's hard to figure out who it is, especially if others are smoking.

Bit more subtle. I blame the stupid law. If it were legal I wouldn't have to worry about getting caught, would I?

I must be able to sue someone.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    My brother takes this approach to red lights. He thinks if it's safe to go, sitting there waiting for a light to tell you 'you can go now' is mindless obedience. I tend to agree.
    This suggests a strong genetic component to the disease.

It's a nice thought, but you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. With all the fixable yet still unaddressed problems in our economy, stomping out gratuities seems like a frivolous endeavor.

I don't support communist rhetoric.
    Pipes don't look like something innocent though, do they?
    I have a small metal pipe shaped and colored like a cigarrette and a smell-proof container. Keep some ground up herbs at the bottom of the container, press the pipe into it, pull it out, spark and inhale. Repeat as necessary.

Cmon man, you're almost 40 and you haven't figured this shit out yet? The best solution you can come up with is to dump 3x as much toxic shit into your lungs??
    Cmon man, you're almost 40 and you haven't figured this shit out yet? The best solution you can come up with is to dump 3x as much toxic shit into your lungs??
    And the fucking rest.

Did I say I happen to like smoking? It's relaxing. To be honest with you the last year or two have been stressful as shit. Looks like things are going to get somewhat calmer in the very near future, so maybe I won't crave that calming infleunce that having a smoke has on me. We'll see.

I don't really care that I have a problem with smoking. I don't have a problem with alcohol, so I feel like I'm doing ok.
    ongies gonna ong
    Did I say I happen to like smoking? It's relaxing.
    That feeling is called nicotine addiction, and it's not a good reason to keep smoking.

If you're smoking to get high, fine, I get it. If you're smoking because it's a soothing habit, then you're letting the addiction make decisions for you.
    You think I don't know that?
    ongies gonna ong
    You think I don't know that?
    So quit.

Or at the very least, stop lecturing us on how bad restaurant food tastes, as it's obvious that there is no way your taste buds are operating at a level adequate to make that determination.
    Stop telling me to stop saying stuff.

And I will quit. I'll be sure to thank you when I do for telling me to do it, because I'd never have done so otherwise.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think I figured out why Assange posted that Capablance vs Marshall chess game.

Assange is an Ecuadorian citizen. Ecuador have the right to appoint Assange as a diplomat, which would grant him diplomatic immunity. Of course, this is unacceptable to the British. However, there is a hitch. In order for the British to reject Assange as a diplomat, they would have to declare him persona non grata, which they appear to have done because they appear to have rejected an Ecuadorian request to appoint him a diplomat.

Now here's the best bit... someone declared png is compelled to leave the country within a reasonable timeframe, and the government must allow this.

Checkmate.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think I figured out why Assange posted that Capablance vs Marshall chess game.

Assange is an Ecuadorian citizen. Ecuador have the right to appoint Assange as a diplomat, which would grant him diplomatic immunity. Of course, this is unacceptable to the British. However, there is a hitch. In order for the British to reject Assange as a diplomat, they would have to declare him persona non grata, which they appear to have done because they appear to have rejected an Ecuadorian request to appoint him a diplomat.

Now here's the best bit... someone declared png is compelled to leave the country within a reasonable timeframe, and the government must allow this.

Checkmate.
    Where do you think he'll go live? Russia?

Seriously though, where does he go? Or does it not matter since anything beats being cooped up in an embassy.
    Isn't it obvious where he goes?

I'll give you a clue... it's on the equator.
    ongies gonna ong
    So he gets out of the embassy in London and goes to live in Ecuador. I guess that's an improvement but not sure how it's checkmate. Granted, it was a clever way of gaining his freedom, but I'd be more impressed if he'd dug a tunnel to Reading or something.
    Haha a tunnel to Reading. He'd get there and beg to be extradited.

I'm sure Ecuador is a wonderful place to live in parts, it's mountainous. I realise it's hardly the economic heart of South America, but I don't reckon it's on Donald's shithole list.
    ongies gonna ong
    I imagine Putin has a nice villa set up for him. He'll be happier in Ecuador no doubt.
    If you want to talk about Putin and whistleblowers, talk about the other guy who actually went to Russia.

Snowden is dodgy as fuck. Assange... he's a different matter. Sure he probably is an arrogant prick, but he's doing an important job standing up to corrupt governments and the guy walks the walk. He's been couped up in that embassy for fucking years, that's a heavy price to pay for your politics.
    ongies gonna ong
    If you want to talk about Putin and whistleblowers, talk about the other guy who actually went to Russia.

Snowden is dodgy as fuck. Assange... he's a different matter. Sure he probably is an arrogant prick, but he's doing an important job standing up to corrupt governments and the guy walks the walk. He's been couped up in that embassy for fucking years, that's a heavy price to pay for your politics.

So you don't think Assange is getting paid by someone somewhere? I don't profess to know who that might be, I just find it hard to believe he's purely during it all for moral reasons. Could be wrong though.
    Haha a tunnel to Reading. He'd get there and beg to be extradited.

I'm sure Ecuador is a wonderful place to live in parts, it's mountainous. I realise it's hardly the economic heart of South America, but I don't reckon it's on Donald's shithole list.
    Ecuador has some hot ass women too.
    I'm sure there are people who are interested in his work who are willing to fund him. Of course.

I believe he is sincere in that he is motivated by politics. I would imagine his funders are people who share his ideology. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think he's in the same ball park as Snowden, who conveniently isn't holed up in an embassy.
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm sure there are people who are interested in his work who are willing to FUCK him.
    About to be up to his neck in MAGA as fuck South American pussy bro

Plus he's got that rape accusation, bitches love that shit

She just wants to know the real Julian
    I wonder if the Berenstein Berenstain thing could be evidence of living in a simulation. Like, could it be that the code used to say Berenstein but then it was changed to say Berenstain but memories still have it as Berenstein?
    I'd consider fucking him for enough money.

*Assange, that is. Not sure about Bernstein, hit me with an image.
    ongies gonna ong
    HERE WE GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!
    From the (NSFW) Chicks Thread:

I've been saying since around 2006 that sex dolls and robots were going to take shit over for a large percentage of men and that the straight women who are left over are going to have to pair up somewhere between 2:1 and 4:1 with the remaining men.
    What kind of time frame are you thinking of?
    This is a complicated subject outside of the frame of this thread. I'll take it over to the randomness thread.
    To answer the time frame question: It's already been starting for over a decade and a half thanks to the combination of widespread, high-speed Internet connections and the proliferation of pornography. There exists an underclass of men (partially because of #4 below) who are not viable options in the dating pool (see #2 below for what constitutes viable options in the dating pool). That underclass is only getting bigger, and there is not an equivalent underclass of women in terms of growth rates or in terms of it taking them completely out of the dating pool. The men in this underclass are also receiving more incentives (porn, sex robots, VR, etc.) to stay where they are at instead of trying to improve to reach a more suitable level for the dating pool.

A few related and semi-related points to make:

1. Depending on the data set, women already tend to rate between 75 and 80 percent of men as below average. (One such data set, there are others)

2. A woman's dualistic mating strategy requires genetic material from a high-quality-genetics male along with resources from some male who has them regardless of genetics to provide for herself and those children (though they will often ration out sex off-ovulation to retain these provisions). This divide between the two strategies is the primary source of non-monogamy or serial monogamy in women (meaning that they don't have to receive these two things from the same man, and they often don't). (Source, p. 29-34)

Side Note: From the above, if you're a man who has a woman interested in you, you're either good genetics, provisioning or both. This is the basis of basic RP theory, since I know you were interested in my thoughts on that at some point.

3. If a woman is with you for provisions, then she is wired to cheat on you with a man who has the genetics side of the equation, but only when ovulating. (Source)

4. Testosterone levels in men as a whole are falling significantly. This is important because it indicates a drop in men who are attractive enough for the genetic-based mating strategy. (Source)
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 01-21-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    To answer the time frame question: It's already been starting for over a decade and a half thanks to the combination of widespread, high-speed Internet connections and the proliferation of pornography. There exists an underclass of men (partially because of #4 below) who are not viable options in the dating pool (see #2 below for what constitutes viable options in the dating pool). That underclass is only getting bigger, and there is not an equivalent underclass of women in terms of growth rates or in terms of it taking them completely out of the dating pool. The men in this underclass are also receiving more incentives (porn, sex robots, VR, etc.) to stay where they are at instead of trying to improve to reach a more suitable level for the dating pool.
    I wonder if the main results for women won't just be being alone and unhappy.

Polygamy being illegal is probably the main limiting factor for why women aren't already bunching up to the top men. Since marriage really is an important thing legally and cultural-psychologically, I would think that women bunching up to the top men as men leave the partnership market would only be a small result since only one can marry the top man.

Irony in that if feminism was serious about helping women, they'd be all about that polygamy. Perhaps the best single thing that could be done for women is legalize polygamy.

Also neat to note is how this exemplifies the meaningless concept that is "fairness". Polygamy makes women better off at the expense of men. Unfair to men. Polygamy being illegal makes men better off at the expense of women. Unfair to women. Maybe we shouldn't be thinking in terms of what is "fair" in the first place.
    I wonder if the main results for women won't just be being alone and unhappy.

Polygamy being illegal is probably the main limiting factor for why women aren't already bunching up to the top men. Since marriage really is an important thing legally and cultural-psychologically, I would think that women bunching up to the top men as men leave the partnership market would only be a small result since only one can marry the top man.

Irony in that if feminism was serious about helping women, they'd be all about that polygamy. Perhaps the best single thing that could be done for women is legalize polygamy.

Also neat to note is how this exemplifies the meaningless concept that is "fairness". Polygamy makes women better off at the expense of men. Unfair to men. Polygamy being illegal makes men better off at the expense of women. Unfair to women. Maybe we shouldn't be thinking in terms of what is "fair" in the first place.
    One of the main arguments against polygamy is the creation of a larger underclass of men who will not have any chance whatsoever with women. Monogamy as an institution effectively rations out women to a larger number of men. Feminism in its modern form is typically pro-polyamory (multiple relationships), but being pro-polygamy (multiple marriages) is often a stretch because it's mistakenly seen as facilitating the accumulation of power in the hands of a small number of men.

@bold - This is exactly the case. It's worth noting that it doesn't actually keep men from having multiple wives, but they just don't get the legal marriage certificate (which many men don't want in the first place).

@underline - Women are already bunching up to the top men, and they have been forever. They just don't get legal marriage out of it, which many of them don't mind. If you want to see how extreme it can potentially get, it's been shown that during the First Agricultural Revolution, one man reproduced for every 17 women who reproduced.

Edit: To your first sentence, women will never be alone and unhappy of anything but their own choice. There will always be a man somewhere willing to take in a woman for the right exchange of services.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 01-22-2018 at 01:02 PM.