Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

I lost $650 last night playing mostly 50nl and a little 100nl

Default I lost $650 last night playing mostly 50nl and a little 100nl

I have an issue with not respecting 4bets when it's say BTN vs BB/SB or SB/BB vs BTN, or SB vs BB when I have hands like AKo and QQ

I'm following this PF raising guide by "Poker in a Box" Preflop Strategy Guide for Microstakes.

And the biggest hands I got involved in, it said everytime in the guide to 3bet/4bet/all in and I lost consistently.

I need some reviews on 5 hands, because I am just bleeding money in BTN/SB/BB spots when the pot is 3bet/4bet or AI PF shoved.

--------------------------------------------
    First one was at 100nl

I have about 4 or 5 hands on Villain at this point, 4 handed 6max.

Villain has 100bb in his stack and I have him covered

VPIP 40
    PFR 20
    AGG 2.0
    3BET 25.0 (IT was presumably 0% at the time of me PFRing into him and him 3betting me)

Hero is delt AKo in the SB

CO folds
    BTN folds
    Hero PFR's 3bb
    BB 3bets to 10bb
    Hero 4bets to 25bb
    BB 5bet shoves 100bb
    Hero Calls

Pot is 198bb after rake

Villain shows AA

Flop/Turn and River
    2c 9d 5c 4h 6h

Villain wins $198 pot after rake
    ------------------------------------------------

2nd hand - 6 handed 6max 50nl

Hero is delt AKo in the BB with 121bb for stack

Villain has 166bb and is on BTN

Villain is
    VPIP 25
    PFR 17
    AGG 1.2
    3BET 11.8

UTG PFR's 3 BB
    MP1 folds
    CO folds
    BTN 3BET's to 9.5BB
    SB folds
    Hero 4BET's to 24BB (I made my 4bet a bit bigger because I was OOP and to account for larger stack sizes)

Villain on BTN calls

Pot is 51.5BB going to flop

Flop comes:

9h As Qd

Hero leads out for 25.5 BB
    Villain flats

Pot is 103BB

Turn is 5d

I have less than a pot sized bet in my stack and TPTK in a 4bet pot, only hands that I think he can hold that legitimately beats me is QQ and AQ

Hero shoves remaining 72.5BB in his stack
    Villain calls

Hero shows AKo

Villain shows QQ

River is Kd

Villain wins 241.5bb pot
    ---------------------------------------
    3rd Hand

5 handed 6max

Hero has 107bb
    Villain has me covered with 256.5bb

Villain is

VPIP 31
    PFR 24
    AGG 2.9
    3BET 5.3

Hero is delt AKo in the BB

MP1 folds
    CO folds
    BTN folds
    SB PFR's to 3bb
    Hero 3bets to 9bb (I know probably a bit small but that was the least of my worries, given it's Blind vs Blind I'm not opposed to getting it all in PF given his SB range

SB 4bets to 27BB

Even with the dead money, but for AA and KK, I got the odds to shove here so I shove

Hero all in shoves 107.5bb

Villain calls

Villain shows JJ

Flop

4d 9c Qs

turn

Jd

river

Js

Villain has quad jacks

Villain wins 212.5bb pot
    ----------------------------------------

4th hand

50nl 6max 3 handed

Hero has 171.5bb

Villain has 108.5bb

Villain is
    VPIP 22
    PFR 17
    AGG 3.5
    3BET 8.3

Hero is on BTN with QQ

Hero PFR's 2.5BB
    SB folds
    BB 3BETs to 10bb
    Hero 4BET's to 24.5BB
    BB 5BET's to 39BB

Pot is 63.5BB

HERO AI shoves for covering villain for roughly 109.5bb

Villain calls

Hero shows QQ

Villain shows KK

Flop
    10d 5c 9d

Turn is 8h

River is Kh

Villain has 3 of a kind K's

Villain wins 218bb pot after rake
    --------------------------------------------------------------

5th hand

Hero has 115BB

Villain has 61.5BB

I have 132 hands on Villain
    VPIP 30
    PFR 7
    AGG 1.6
    3BET 0.0

Villain is on BTN

Hero is QQ in the BB

CO PFR's 3BB
    BTN calls
    SB calls
    Hero 3BET's to 15BB

CO calls
    BTN raises to 27BB
    SB folds

56BB in pot villain has only 34.5BB behind

Hero shoves all in
    CO folds
    Villain calls

Hero shows QQ
    Villain shows AA

Flop comes

5d 6d 5s

Turn 2d

River 4c

Villain has pair of Aces, Hero pair of Queens

Villain wins 137.5BB pot after rake
    ---------------------------------------------------------

So it seems everytime I've been 4bet or had a 4bet called, at minimum I ran into QQ or JJ, every other time it seems I've been dominated.

I also checked No Bullshit 6-Max's PF strategy guide, and it also says to shove in every spot I did.

Granted it's only one session, but losing more than 1/8th of your bankroll in a night, mostly due to hands like this, has me re-evaluating whether that Poker in a Box strategy guide is correct on these types of things.

Poker is cruel, as soon as I started taking shots at 100nl, I lost 1/8th of my bankroll across the past 3 sessions spanning about 12 hours.
    Last edited by JimmyS1985; 08-08-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    First of all, only post one hand per thread. Or at least... one at a time within the thread. Definitely not multiple hands per post. This is too much info to take in at once and you'll be equally confused reading the advice and wondering which hand they're talking about.

Next, there is not enough information in this post to determine if you're playing poorly due to not reading your opponents and assigning them ranges, or if you just hit a streak of coolers.

The fact that you're blaming the resource for not telling you a single sentence of perfectly true facts is not a good sign. This is poker. No single sentence or strategy is going to be "always right." Everything is situational and learning WHY the resource might suggest one strategy or another is the actual point of using the resource.

If you play poker on auto-pilot, you will not be maximizing your winrate, you may even be leaking so much that you bleed off your actual winnings with otherwise avoidable mistakes.

Just in the first hand:
    What is Villain's range to fold / call / reraise on each decision point?

What was your EV for each of your actions?
    Totally standard to lose this amount of money in one session at these stakes sometimes having played well enough.

You really want to assess any changes to your pre-flop strategy once you have a bigger sample.

Hand 1 is fine to stack off as a default in these seats. I 4bet to 23bb though to make my bluffs a bit cheaper. I'm not stoked about calling the 5bet but it's fine.

Hand 2 I call AKo pre in these spots. Villains just aren't 3betting a proper mix of bluffs and value against utg. As played, post is meh. I expect him to be capped at ak and qq when he calls flop.

Hand 3 is fine Bvb against a reg.

Hand 4 is fine to 4bet call, but we're not that happy about it. Villain should have enough of a mix of weaker value and bluffs in this spot. When he min 5bets, he has kk+ EVERY time, so play accordingly.

Hand 5 is similar to hand 4. Your 3bet sizing is way too large though. 10bb is fine to make your bluffs cheaper, 8-9bb in position also fine.
    These all seem pretty standard variance kind of hands.

I would implement a stop loss though, if it upsets you losing this much in a day. Also when you're stuck you're more likely to play some hands more aggressively to get UN-stuck in my experience.

Some of these spots are not mandatory stack offs pre. You can choose the lower variance route and choose to flat some of these hands to 3b etc. This will also strengthen your 3b flatting range.

The AK - cold 4b hand when LP 3b EP - You probably need reads that i) EP opens wide or ii) LP 3b wide or both to feel good about cold 4b AK here and getting it in.

The QQ hand where you 5x 3b OOP vs fishy passive player. I think its fine to bomb him OOP given he's likely to call worse. But when a passve 4b you, you're definitely in trouble. As much as it sucks, sometimes we 3b hard pre to play vs a passive fishy players calling range, but when they 4b they just have it.

Also that one hand where you 4b QQ and get small 5b.You're so effed here most of the time, unless you have reads that villain likes to 5b small to "rep big" or something.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of these can be put in the "unavoidable" bucket. But some of these losses can be minimized, and if playing your A game you can find some hero folds in some of these spots.

Either way- If you're stuck for $300+ you're probably not likely to find a hero fold. You're more likely to stick it in and say "whatever.. I shove.. let's see if somehow they have it again, so I can feel bad for myself about how bad I'm running" . STOP LOSS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    If losing 6 buy ins in a session is too much for you, step down.

1st hand, I'm folding to the shove, I don't think this is too difficult. If he's being crazy here defending his blind, it will become obvious as time goes by and we can adjust. But for now there's no reason to think he's getting out of line here and I'd quietly fold.

2nd hand I'm paying off here, same line.

3rd hand, again I'm gonna seriously consider folding pre.

4th hand, I'm really not happy to be facing a 5bet here and if I'm not tilting to shit because of my previous folds, again I want to fold this.

Last one, this is an easy fold given villain's stats. Note this is a call/raise line from a fishy passive villain, this is KK+ all day long.

Honestly, I think only one of these is standard, while the others require discipline. If you lack that discipline, then you're going to get torn to shreds at these stakes. Seriously consider where your game is at and what the right stakes are for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong