Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

Is it ok to 5bet jam PF in this spot? (50nl 5 handed Bovada 6-max)

Default Is it ok to 5bet jam PF in this spot? (50nl 5 handed Bovada 6-max)

Granted the results were good but I try not to be results oriented over the vast majority of my hand samples (obviously I'm a tad results oriented if you read my other thread about June being the worst month in poker I've ever had).

So I was taking shots 50nl, I don't have a good win rate at all at 50nl over my entire hand sample, but I make it a priority that if I'm over $3250 or so in my bankroll, I will always pull up at least 1 50nl, and will only pull up more tables if I can develop a good win rate over a larger hand sample than I currently have. Yes I'm a bankroll nit.

So heres the hand, the previous hands leading up to this hand, I had been card racking, and taking several pots down without going to showdown, because I kept getting nutted hands PF or flopping nutted hands. Someone was bound to take a stand to my apparent wanton aggression eventually I figured.

Villain I have 29 hands on him, I'm sure he's seen most of the hands in which I was giving out lots of action in the recent run of cards without ever going to showdown, but hadn't really taken down any big pots for the most part as you'll notice by my stack size.

Now heres the thing, if this 5bet jam here is standard, I don't know it. I do often fold AKs and AKo when say I'm 4bet from UTG or MP1 when it's 6 handed and sometimes to CO, BTN is a bit different due to the wider range people play from BTN, but it's also dependent on players play styles and images.

Villain's stats for 29 hands is:

VPIP 22
    PFR 22
    AGG 0.0
    3BET 0.0

^Part of the reason the 3BET and AGG numbers are so low is limited hand sample, and bear in mind Bovada doesn't allow you to track players.

Hero's stack is 116bb
    Villain's stack is 96.5bb

Hero is delt AKs in BB

MP1 folds
    CO folds
    BTN PFR's 3bb
    Hero 3bets to 10.5bb
    BTN snap-4bets to 23bb

See I usually give LOTS of respect to 4bets, 25nl, and I assume for 50nl even though I'm not a reg at 50nl, is generally repping very nutted hands. I mean just as a general rule of thumb, but for "good" regs at 25nl, people don't 4bet bluff very often.

One of my old leaks was once I 4bet, even 100bb deep, even when I use to take shots at 100nl, I was pot committed.

Do people have this leak too or was that just me? Has the population of poker players these days for the most part moved past pot commitment once they 4bet even as a bluff?

These days I can 4bet 25bb PF and still get away from the hand if I think that my two outcomes to the hand are A. Coin flipping at best or B. Totally dominated by villains 5betting range.

Since he 4bet from the BTN despite his TAG image so far and all the action I had been giving the table prior tot his hand, I gave him less respect than I would MP1 and MAYBE the 41/18/4.0/28.6 fish in the CO

Now like I said earlier, if this is a standard 5bet jam, I don't know it for sure.

I 5bet jammed all in, villain thinks it over, and calls.

pot is 194.5bb after rake.

Villain shows A9o

flop comes 10c2cQd

turn is 10s

river is Js

Hero wins pot.

So given my table image, the action I had been giving the table prior, do you think 5bet jamming this 22/22 villain is ok on a limited 29 hand sample, or do you think I just got lucky here in that the villain spazzed hard on an unsuited Ace rag?

How would you change how you played the hand if CO or MP1 had 4bet you? (CO's stats were 41/18/4.0/28.6 and MP1's stats were 17/6/1.5/3.0)
    Last edited by JimmyS1985; 06-23-2016 at 07:01 AM.
    When I saw your title I thought you were going to have A5s or something in this hand.

Even though in my experience 4b ranges on bodog are pretty tight, I play mostly Full Ring these days so that will skew my perception. I play bigger games and the ranges are tight there, so I would assume it's even tighter lower stakes.

BTN vs Blinds this is fairly standard imo, especially if you have been remotely aggro or vill has shown that he will open most of his btns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Do you think I might be overthinking in these spots? It's such a complex game that I have a hard time to grasp my head around.
    Look at equilab (or any poker calculator) equities for AKs vs various villains' ranges.

What is the minimum range a villain needs to have for you to want to play for stacks PRE w/ AKs?

I.e. What's the equity against {KK+}?
    What's the equity against {QQ+}?
    What's the equity against {QQ+,AK}?
    What's the equity against {JJ+,AK}?
    etc.

At what point does your equity go over 50%?
    Note, you will ALWAYS need less than 50% equity to be +EV, so this is an extreme case. The reason it's not too bad an approximation in this case is that the amount of dead money in the pot compared to the value of your stacks is pretty minimal, so it's basically just the stacks you're playing for.
    Most people that are too nitty to 5b shove AK is because their thought process is "omg they will never call worse to a 5B, so I'm only getting it in with QQ/KK/AA".

That logic might not even be wrong. It could be true that they will only call with a flip or better, but they are missing the point that they could be folding often enough that it doesn't matter.
    As an aside... you have 130 buyins for $25nl and 65 for $50nl....

You really should be taking WAAAY more shots. This is super conservative bankroll management imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Most people that are too nitty to 5b shove AK is because their thought process is "omg they will never call worse to a 5B, so I'm only getting it in with QQ/KK/AA".

That logic might not even be wrong. It could be true that they will only call with a flip or better, but they are missing the point that they could be folding often enough that it doesn't matter.
    THIS!!

But I'm pretty sure AKs is not the hand to do this with. Prob. better to call and take the equity against the rest of that range post-flop than to force a fold PRE.
    No offence intended, but you really need to have a solid, basic strategy for pre flop sorted by the time you get to 50nl.

If you're not getting in AK as a default bb vs btn, then your pre flop range is either far too tight or well out of whack i.e. you're going to be super exploitable to 4bets. Yeah, we don't often get the money in better than a flip, but there's normally a decent chunk of fold equity in these seat positions - I'd recommend having a look at a fold equity calculator