Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

check/raise this river?

Default check/raise this river?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, K.
    1 fold, MP raises, CO calls, Button calls, 1 fold, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4, 5, K (4 players)
    Hero checks, MP checks, CO bets, Button calls, Hero calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K (3 players)
    Hero checks, CO bets, Button folds, Hero raises, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) J (2 players)
    Hero bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Results in white below:
    Hero has 4s Ks (full house, kings full of fours).
    CO has 9c Kc (three of a kind, kings).
    Outcome: Hero wins 11.75 BB.

Is check/raising the river an option? I'm pretty sure this guy has a K, but I'm not sure if he'll bet the river. I'm just not really sure how to think about this, any help?
    I think you have to lead the river because many players will always check down with the flush cards on board.
    your line is fine...
    “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean ~

"Poker is a lot like sex, peoples perceived ability usually blinds the truth" ~ me ~

"God bless him. Got to bet big to win big! GAMB00L!!!" ~ Fnord
    Thank you guys
    I think you could have played this to extract more, by either donking the flop or donking the turn. I lean toward the flop, since we don't know what our opponent holds and the turn might kill your action.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    wow donk the flop
    opp will surely raise or just fold-meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001
    wow donk the flop
    Well, he would have raised probably in this spot but the original preflop raiser is right on his left. This board is pretty draw-less and I dont think you want to fold everyone out of this pot if MP decides to auto-raise you on the flop.

Had we known that MP wasnt going to c-bet this board and that someone else had a higher King, then yeah, bet/3betting would be the option. But frankly, I dont see how anyone can assume that and thats why I don't mind his play here, as I probably would have done something similar only because thats the way it works out.

I might've just check/raised the flop then bet the turn and hoping to get raised, and that would be the only modification I could possibly see doing different. But in regards to check/raising the river after check/raising the turn, no thanks.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    I think you could have played this to extract more, by either donking the flop or donking the turn. I lean toward the flop, since we don't know what our opponent holds and the turn might kill your action.
    if he were going to donk he would have to lead out both the flop AND the turn, because it looks extremely fishy when someone especially a tagg c/c the flop then leads the turn... that line doesn't make any since at all... and to me trying to figure out his had i would put him on either a monster, K weak kicker (still big hand) or the draw (air)...

If you take the leading approach (which this is 0.5/1 where players tend to be passive and not 3 bet enough and tend to call down to much even with the obvious I have a big hand line)

0.5/1 I like his line, 5/10 I lead both streets and hope to bet/ 3 bet the turn...

you have to actully go past the first level of thinking here and take into account avg players at a stake..
    “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean ~

"Poker is a lot like sex, peoples perceived ability usually blinds the truth" ~ me ~

"God bless him. Got to bet big to win big! GAMB00L!!!" ~ Fnord
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001
    wow donk the flop
    That sounds terrible. I think spoon's line was good here.