Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

MMM is officially old

Default MMM is officially old

I turn 40 today.

Do the tennis balls come with the walker, or do you have to buy them separately?
    Is 39 not old?
    No, 39 is not old; 40 is lowest old.
    40 is the new 27
    Oh dear god!

Not again!
    yeah well 27 is the new 15
    That explains the preponderance of self-entitled asshats who couldn't find a mature thought if it came to them in a vision.

Can we stop glorifying the idiots in our culture and pay a bit more attention to experts?

No?

hashtagoldguythoughts
    hashtagspellingouthashtag
    holy shit you are old.
    Well done for not dying yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Do you feel old? Or sad? Or no different whatsoever?

I started feeling older in my my early 30s because I noticed it was easier to hurt myself doing random stupid physical things, say attempting a flip on a trampoline, or diving to catch a Frisbee on a beach, and also hangovers were much, much worse. That aside I feel 18. But you've got 5 years on me.

And belated happiness sent your way.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    congrats on old
    Belated happy birthday MMM.

Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    I started feeling older in my my early 30s....hangovers were much, much worse.
    Uggh, definitely right about the hangovers. You and I are about the same age and I can't believe how brutal they've become the past few years. I can still do a fairly slow all dayer until pub closing time, but the binge drinking until late makes the next day a total write off (to the point where I turned yellow after the last one). I'm still struggling the day after that too - the days when I could have a fry up and a pint of juice and be good to go again are long gone.
    Do you feel old? Or sad? Or no different whatsoever?
    I think I psyched myself out about it pretty hard in the weeks prior. It did coincide with the starting of the school year, so the added stress is hard to pinpoint. I was feeling overly tired and fatigued for the 2 weeks leading up to my 40th, but that has gone away.

I had 2 excellent dinners to celebrate. My dad took me out for crab legs (my absolute favorite dinner treat) on Monday, and there was live music at the place. The atmosphere was run-down, shitty bar, but the food was amazing. They put the money where it counts.

Then on Tuesday, one of my lady's lawyer friends took us out to a fondue restaurant for dinner. That was more elegant and with 4 courses, pretty much the fanciest restaurant I've ever eaten as a guest. (I've worked in 4- and 5-star dining).

So despite my mental whining, it's turning out to be pretty great to be 40. Work is great, love life is great, family is as good as can be expected, and friends are friends. Geez, I even feel like I haven't given the lawyer enough credit for being a generally good friend and not a slightly above average acquaintance. So things are actually going quite well.

I started feeling older in my my early 30s because I noticed it was easier to hurt myself doing random stupid physical things, say attempting a flip on a trampoline, or diving to catch a Frisbee on a beach, and also hangovers were much, much worse. That aside I feel 18. But you've got 5 years on me.
    So much this! I sprain my ankle if I even look at a skateboard anymore.

2nd... wait 3rd!.. on the hangovers. It's a full stomach or no drinks anymore.

And belated happiness sent your way.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    congrats on old
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Thanks!

I heard a great quote many years ago in an interview with some aging actress. She was asked what it's like to be 70 or whatever. Her reply was something to the effect of, "Well, I already knew how to act like a 20-year-old or a 30-year-old. I can still do that. Now I also know how to act like a 60-year-old or a 70-year-old, too."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post

Uggh, definitely right about the hangovers. You and I are about the same age and I can't believe how brutal they've become the past few years. I can still do a fairly slow all dayer until pub closing time, but the binge drinking until late makes the next day a total write off (to the point where I turned yellow after the last one). I'm still struggling the day after that too - the days when I could have a fry up and a pint of juice and be good to go again are long gone.
    In case you haven't been told this already, yellow is bad, very bad. It probably means your liver is not functioning correctly. I would advise talking to your doctor about a liver function test, because if there's a problem, you might want a year or so on the wagon to allow it to recover.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    happy belated bday, MMM

fwiw i think 40 is a great age. many of my closest male friends are in that age range.. and i'm a drooling millennial.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    Happy birthday you old fart!

I second evrything rong said, except for the hangovers. I've been known to have epic hangovers ever since my first drink at 17 (I'm 34 now).

The only thing that matters is how you feel mentally and physically with regards to the question of being old or not. I've felt seemingly never ending nagging pains here and there. This started the day I turned 30, I think. I still get ID'd 50% of the time and I think that may continue for many years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreymcfate View Post
    happy belated bday, MMM
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BankItDrew View Post
    Happy birthday you old fart!
    Thanks!
    Remember to get a cane, and to exploit your oldness at every oportunity.
    Growing old is kinda mandatory, growing up is optional. I'm turning hitchhiker's guide by the end of the year and having the time of my life. It might also help that I keep getting told I look 10 years younger than I am. HBD and enjoy.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Growing old is kinda mandatory, growing up is optional.
    For sure!

I do enjoy the maturity, though. Or the wisdom of having made dumb decisions and regretting them enough to not make them again... whatever counts for the fact that it's much easier to roll with the punches life delivers with every passing year.

I'm turning hitchhiker's guide by the end of the year and having the time of my life.
    Awesome! Congrats!

It might also help that I keep getting told I look 10 years younger than I am. HBD and enjoy.
    Same.

Thanks!
    Belated happy birthday!
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Happy birthday

("MMM" made me think of this guy though: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/)