Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

not a blog... trying to lear from better ones

Default not a blog... trying to lear from better ones

just one example. BTN 4bet range is KJs+,KQo, ATs+, AJo, TT+ and his 5betjam calling range is AQs+, AK, TT+.( 2.5k sample in zoom )
    i know it's profitable to 5bet jam JJ here, but i dont, i fold thinking why risk loosing 45$ more so many times when my 3bet was profitable if i fold now( because his BTN foldto3bet is 67% and i only need him to fold 40% ).

hope i am not confusing you.

btw. just an example, no real ranges or villain.
    just a random example about type of +EV spots that i miss because i am not willing to risk a stack , i am more focused on mow much i am making today rather then trying to see the year
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    You should make it a blog

So where did you get these ranges from? The 4b range seems somewhat wide to me, and beyond that it seems too merged to me with some playable hands which are being used as 4b bluffs. I'd prefer to use this kind of merged 4b bluffing range OOP, because calling is less of an option facing a 3b OOP and we are more likely to have our 4b called.

5b jam calling range seems somewhat loose depending on what the stakes are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    i play 50nl.
    those are not real ranges, i made up that example just to make a point.

this is a real example: 50nl FR

villain ATS is 40% LP, he has a 70% fold to 3bet and a 5% 4bet in LP( aprox 4k hands)
    if i have JJ, i will mostly 3bet his LP opening, sometimes just call OOP pre and 95% of times i will fold to his 4bet.

i think i could do better if i would flat his 4bet sometimes , 5bet him and still fold it the remaining procentage.
    i could do ok w/ JJ in my 5bet since i only 5bet AA/KK

but i am afraid
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    btw i only 5bet AA/KK v this villain. my 5bet range is wider, but dpend on villain. vs unknows, standard is QQ+/AKs
    Post some stats so we can see areas you can loosen up a bit without going too far out of your comfort zone!
    cant do it, still trying to recover data from the old laptop.
    the new has no tracking data, i saw i forgot to save my history from ps.
    opening ranges might give you a hint about my play until i get some hands on trcker as a relevant sample?
    Sure any approximations for now are ok. But yah once you get a good sample again that will be good. Given your volume that shouldn't take too long!
    Last edited by Razvan729; 12-19-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    lucky w/ work laptop, forgot about it

it's 10nl griffey,cause you said drop down and stack off more often . i went to 10nl cause i feel no pressure there.

stats should be the same as 25nl/50nl cause there's not much changed in my game even if i played 10nl, i guess i just went AI pre a little more then i used to. i use to be 7ptbb/100 as i remember, maybe your advice brought me to 10ptbb/100 or is just the positive side of variance. i am not sure sample size is good enough.

btw, sorry about link, but is how i read in BC to post images
    Last edited by Razvan729; 12-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    http://imgur.com/RxI5yzj

plus today w/ some more stats
    I find it very hard to comment on your stats. This is mostly because you're SOOO tight that I would expect that most regs would give you NO action at all. Yet at the same time, you're winning at a good winrate, so it seems like you're still getting some action, though maybe its from rec players?

Are these stats consistent with your game at higher stakes? 12.8/10.5 is obviously VERY tight. You probably have a lot of room to loosen up a fair bit.

1. Your BB VPIP should be higher than your SB VPIP. The baseline for any hand to be played in the BB is any hand that would be performing > -100bb/100. Your baseline for the SB is -50bb/100. So intuitively it should make sense that you play more hands from the BB. You're currently playing FAR more hands from the SB (which I assume is due to the times it folds to SB and you raise, but even still this shouldn't be the case I don't think, unless this happens SO often).

2. Your range is so tight, yet you only go to SD 26% and you win an ENORMOUS % of the time at SD 67%. If you face a pot size bet on the river, you are making the correct call if you win more than 33% of the time. If you face a smaller than pot size bet, ie: 3/4 pot, you only need to win 30%. The fact that your range is SO tight pre, yet you go to SD so rarely (26%) and win SO often (67%) means that you are folding a ton of marginal hands that would be +EV calls on the river.

Please check your river call efficiency stat, I would guess that it's somewhere around 1.8-2.4 or something. Which is very high, and also indicates you're not calling more marginal hands (which would have a river call efficiency around 1).

3. What size do you steal from on the button?

Please check your "steal success %" for the CO and the button. If your steal success is over 57% (for a min raise), over 62.% (for a 2.5bb raise) or over 66.6% (for a 3bb raise) then your steals are working often enough that you can open ANY TWO cards and just give up post flop and still profit.

When you're playing so tight, there's obviously a TON of spots you can open up, but from the stats you showed those are my first comments.
    i get action fron worse players and lots of regs (but not solid players i guess) that try to bluff me too much and pay my monsters.

and yes, stats should be same higher , if not even a litle tighter.

1. i dont really understand

2.problem is w/ my river bet izing i guess, but yes, i do fold a lot on river unless i have 2pair+

3.agreed, could open a bit more LP
    1. You're paying 1bb every big blind. If you fold, you are losing that 1 bb. So if you fold 100% of BB, your winrate in the BB will be -100bb/100. This means that any hand that performs better than -100bb/100 should be called instead of folded, because it performs better than folding.

Similarly folding in the SB 100% will yield a winrate of -50bb/100. So any hand that performs better than that should be played.

Similarly, if you fold from UTG-BTN 100% of hands your winrate in these positions will be 0bb/100. So you should only play hands that perform >0bb/100, which makes sense. Only playing hands that will be profitable. (though it's possible you may sometimes play -EV hands in isolation, if your overall range benefits in EV from playing that hand).

2. Yah you really need to find spots where one pair could be good. Again, you only need to be good 30% of the time to make a profitable call! You can lose 7 out of 10 times often, and it's STILL the correct call.

3. What is your steal sizing? yah just checking your steal success %. Given you're tight, I'd imagine it should be high.
    it surprized me, but my CO&BTN steal succes is just 51%....
    That's ok, you have the benefit of position and a tight range. What sizing are you using?
    2.1x both.... not far from the 57% i need
    my opening range is 22+/A2o+/56o+/57o+/all broadways/K2s+ in CO
    BTN i add Q2o+ and some random hands
    Last edited by Razvan729; 12-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razvan729 View Post
    2.1x both.... not far from the 57% i need
    my opening range is 22+/A2o+/56o+/57o+/all broadways/K2s+ in CO
    BTN i add Q2o+ and some random hands
    Maybe I'm misinterpreting the ranges, but it looks to me like you have so many offsuit hands? And not that many suited hands?

So BTN you're adding Q2o instead of J5s or something?
    suited version off them also, of everything i wrote.

but you are right, i am folding Jxs/Jxo
    I feel like Jxs would be > Q2o

More types of boards you can continue on and barrel on. Q2o isn't gonna do you much good very often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razvan729 View Post
    just one example. BTN 4bet range is KJs+,KQo, ATs+, AJo, TT+ and his 5betjam calling range is AQs+, AK, TT+.( 2.5k sample in zoom )
    i know it's profitable to 5bet jam JJ here, but i dont, i fold thinking why risk loosing 45$ more so many times when my 3bet was profitable if i fold now( because his BTN foldto3bet is 67% and i only need him to fold 40% ).

hope i am not confusing you.

btw. just an example, no real ranges or villain.
    just a random example about type of +EV spots that i miss because i am not willing to risk a stack , i am more focused on mow much i am making today rather then trying to see the year
    It doesn't matter what you did before. If you have a +EV to take now and you fold you are costing yourself money.

Jam > Call > Raise. You simply should not pass on a higher expectation play ever. Jam = higher expectation than fold, therefore folding is a mistake.