Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How to win at Rush Poker

Default My rush poker strategy

All right so this'll be my first post on this forum, so let's make it an impressive one, shall we?

This is mainly for the micro stakes of RP.

(note: not sure if this is the right section, please move if it isn't. I searched for the keywords "rush, poker" and did not find any actual strategy guide for rush, so here's my amateur attempt to help people get start on it)

I will not necessarily be ordering these by importance, they will just be the ones that come to my mind first.

1. Position matters a lot more now; the small blind has the ability to quick fold, so if you find it folded to you and you're BTN or CO, raise 2.5xbb with about 90% of your hands, and you will almost always steal the blinds. The SB will generally not be fucked to wait until it comes to them, so most of the time they just quick fold. the BB, on the other hand, will actually be looser in this position. This is because they can't quick fold, and can only do so when someone raises. So when it gets folded to you, and you raise, they are more likely to 3bet you or call, just because they're thinking that "well I've waited around for this long now I might as well play it". If you get re-raised by the SB though, only call it with AQ+, QQ/JJ+, because if they've waited all that time to reraise you from the worst position with the BB still infront of them, they probably have a good hand. If you do find yourself post-flop with either of the blinds after trying to steal, simply c-bet around 65% and most of the time they'll fold.
    Position also matters because most of the money made in RP is from c-betting. You will generally be playing HU due to how tight the play is, so simply c-betting around 60% of the pot when appropriate will have then folding almost all the time (as mentioned above). If they call, they could either be slow playing a monster or hanging on hoping to complete their draw, or they could have face cards that they hope will hit on the turn or river. Base your turn bet on the amount of players in the pot, the pot size, their stack size their position and last but not least, the cards on the board. If they call again, and you still have nothing decent, fire a 3rd barrel only if you are pretty sure they missed their flush/straight draw, or if decent scare cards show on the river. Be wary though: a lot of people do slow play monster hands because I find that uNL players RP players tend to try and take a pot down when they c-bet the flop and unfavorable cards show on the turn/river, because checking the turn will most likely result in your opponent betting around 80% of the pot to try and take it down (check the turn when you have the nuts and are fairly certain the other player has what they think is the best hand, I guarantee you that they will almost always bet you if you show weakness)

2. uNL RP is full of feesh playing premiums. When they raise preflop with great hands and get a lot of callers, and the board turns up 467r, they just love to raise all-in to push everyone out of the pot and either take it down or beat the lower pocket pair the other players are probably holding. in multi-way pots, low&mid suited connectors can be quite valuable. If they hit a straight/flush or a draw on the flop, some fish who thinks their top pocket pair is decent enough to shove will do so, and will allow you to take down the pot (most of the time). Play these in position though: if you have a flush draw and the SB shoves in a multi-way pot, you don't really know what possible hands the others have, and if they'll call the all-in or not, especially with, for example, 9s8s on a 4s7sAd board, because if they do call, they'll most likely have a better spade than you and will win the pot even though you hit your flush.

3. I've found that you have a bigger chance of stacking off the villian in uNL RP if you let the time almost run out when you have a monster. With no reads on you, the villian will generally think that you are having trouble deciding whether to call with a marginal hand or not and will happily bet more than they would normally if you snap called them. This is even more effective when you hit your straight/flush with low/mid suited connectors, because the rush will generally cause a player to c-bet the turn even more in hopes that they're still ahead or to force you out of the pot.
    Last edited by dudeman; 05-14-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Decent first post
    Welcome.

I don't have ANY experience with RP, but it seems to me, if I'm understanding the format correctly, that a wider starting hand range and thinner 3 bet and 4 bet ranges would be more profitable. Mainly because why would the villain want to play a marginal hand vs continued agression from the hero when all he has to do is quick fold and get on to a more profitable hand?

So, if we have the option of playing one or two tables without leaving them then we should be able to aggressively attack those that are quick folding.

Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    i'll never understand how anyone can go through life being sober.
    Holdem manager and Pokertracker 3 both have working rush HUDs. You can also have up to 4 tables of each table type. and multiple types
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotglass View Post
    Decent first post
    Welcome.

I don't have ANY experience with RP, but it seems to me, if I'm understanding the format correctly, that a wider starting hand range and thinner 3 bet and 4 bet ranges would be more profitable. Mainly because why would the villain want to play a marginal hand vs continued agression from the hero when all he has to do is quick fold and get on to a more profitable hand?

So, if we have the option of playing one or two tables without leaving them then we should be able to aggressively attack those that are quick folding.
    he last sentence is confusing. We cannot play 1 to 2 *tables* without leaving them, but we can play 1 to 2 player pools. Once you either quickfold or the hand ends, you get moved to a new table. Depending on the player pool, you will almost never find yourself with exactly the same players, but it does happen as player pools get smaller, and the fact that the speed of the table switching is more valued than the players on each one.

@Keith: orly? Damn I need to get un-IP-banned from there on my PC .. I'm currently playing on my laptop as I was IP banned for chip dumping.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
    This makes HUDs (as far as I know) impossible, and note taking difficult as one has to go into hand history every time they want to make a note. Rush poker strategy basically employs an ABC game ..
    Oh goodie, a rush topick.

Based on a fact that your strategy revolves around a thought that there is no HUD in rush poker i can already see how exploitable you are.

For starters, most regulars 3bet you from SB, BB, BTN alot because u have high fold to 3bet from CO and BTN. And therefore you miss a ton of opportunity to 4bet them.

And calling a 3bet with 75s is not very profitable, because if you get caught, and you don't readjust later on when playing vs the same villain you are in deep deep trouble.
    he last sentence is confusing. We cannot play 1 to 2 *tables* without leaving them, but we can play 1 to 2 player pools.
    hmm, you must not have read my post correctly because I prefaced my statement by stating
    Originally Posted by Shotglass
    I don't have ANY experience with RP, but it seems to me, if I'm understanding the format correctly

IP banned for chip dumping.
    'Nuff said.

hmm, you must not have read my post correctly because I prefaced my statement by stating

'Nuff said.
    I was firstly confused at your wording, not due to your lack of knowledge. Also the "nuff said" doesn't make much sense, what're you implying other than your ego there
    I was firstly confused at your use of the word firstly
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    I was firstly confused at your use of the word firstly
    Custom user titles <3
    All right so this'll be my first post on this forum, so let's make it an impressive one, shall we?
    we shall see
    (note: not sure if this is the right section, please move if it isn't. I searched for the keywords "rush, poker" and did not find any actual strategy guide for rush, so here's my amateur attempt to help people get start on it.
    not a good start really , i typed "rush poker" into the search box and came up with 169 posts some even titled rush poker.You say that this is how to win at rush poker. Can you back that up ? have you said at what stakes? Have you shown an impressive graph showing your winnings or posted your stats showing winrate?

I will not necessarily be ordering these by importance, they will just be the ones that come to my mind first.

1. Rush poker will always have you playing with a different table of players (which you may have encountered before) after each hand. This makes HUDs (as far as I know) impossible, and note taking difficult as one has to go into hand history every time they want to make a note. Rush poker strategy basically employs an ABC game .. with a few twists. One can always hit quick fold when the hand doesn't look that good, and a lot of people don't want to wait around just to play average hands, so almost all of the players are playing supertight. obvious. But they're also playing very aggressive, because only a select few will actually remember a hand with you if, by chance, you play a hand with them again, or even rarer, will makes notes on you, so most will be very aggressive. When this is the case, one has to step out of the crowd and play a different style which will result in successful poker playing.
    great start ....describe the game but then instantly show how litte you know about rush by saying that huds are impossible to use and note taking is difficult. I already showed you in a previous post that huds have been working ( and have been virtually since rush poker arrived) which makes the rest of this point a lot of rubbish). Whilst playing against an opponent if you want to make a note on a guy get the note box open (tilt or hud one) while you are making your river decision and the box will stay there ready to make a note. Whats so hard about that.?
    2. Position matters a lot more now; the small blind has the ability to quick fold, so if you find it folded to you and you're BTN or CO, raise 2.5xbb with about 90% of your hands, and you will almost always steal the blinds. The SB will generally not be fucked to wait until it comes to them, so most of the time they just quick fold. the BB, on the other hand, will actually be looser in this position. This is because they can't quick fold, and can only do so when someone raises. So when it gets folded to you, and you raise, they are more likely to 3bet you or call, just because they're thinking that "well I've waited around for this long now I might as well play it". If you get re-raised by the SB though, only call it with AQ+, QQ/JJ+, because if they've waited all that time to reraise you from the worst position with the BB still infront of them, they probably have a good hand.
    You are relying here on your misconception that you can only play 1 table , add extra tables and people can then play there blinds much more conventionally. The better players aren't quick folding to get a new hand they are assessing the value of playing that hand or not.

Position also matters because most of the money made in RP is from c-betting. You will generally be playing HU due to how tight the play is, so simply c-betting around 60% of the pot when appropriate will have then folding almost all the time. If they call, they could either be slow playing a set or a top pair. They expect you to fire a 2nd barrel, so if you do, make sure you have a reasonable hand and evaluate the situation for bet sizing. If they call again, and you still have nothing decent, do not cling on, it's not worth it. Good thing is, if you're in position and they checked it to you, you can safely check with a bigger chance of winning with face-high cards if they were playing loose-passive. But then again that is unlikely.
    "make sure you have a reasonable hand to barrel, if they call and you have nothing decent check behind and hope they are loose passive." Theres so many contradictions there . You're telling us they are playing tight aggressive and you're barreling, in the hope that they are loose passive calling off with air???
    3. As everyone is always going for the premiums, you should try and play your suited connectors as much as you can. You can easily double up the fish with AA with 75s on a 468r board. But take into account their stack size, position, blahdeeblah to evaluate the situation and decide if it's worth calling their 3-bet. Also, if there are 2 players in the pot, this makes the situation a lot more profitable, as they will generally think that if you shove on such a board that you almost always have a pocket pair, a set or AK, AQ etc.
    Do you know your equity with 67s vs premiums?.I'd love to see your maths to justify calling a 3bet with 67s. You seem to be assuming that people will stack off with AA vs a semi coordinated board and a shove.Are you aiming to steal the pot here or get streets of value from the AA?

4. I've found that you have a bigger chance of stacking off the villian if you let the time almost run out when you have a monster on the flop. With no reads on you, the villian will generally think that you are having trouble deciding whether to call with a marginal hand or not and will happily bet more than they would normally if you snap called them. This is even more effective when you hit your straight/flush with low/mid suited connectors, because the rush will generally cause a player to c-bet the turn even more in hopes that they're still ahead or to force you out of the pot.
    yet again you show yourself to be ignorant. you take that line because of you not realising how to take notes and is one of the misconceptions amongst low level players that taking a long time indicates weakness.Move up in stakes and opponents will become suspicious and once they've seen you do it it will be noted.
    5. Because rush poker is just one table, you can always leave the table when you double up and buy back in for 100bb right after, which is not like the normal NL cash tables where one must buy in to their previous stack size or wait for 30 minutes or so for it to reset. This is good, because Rush Poker is quite a high variance game, and involves a lot of bluffing, so it's a good idea to limit your losses if you do have a bad beat by leaving and buying back in every time you win a reasonable amount of bb's. Of course you can play deep stacked in RP, but I don't like it because, without reads, stack sizes are a lot more important when it comes to feesh determining if they should shove or not. Shoving with round 100bb is much more likely to get called than if you shoved with 200bb, because many people playing deep tend not to risk their cash in such a way. I may be wrong, but that's just the way I see it.
    so you're a ratholer. Why don't you learn to play better so that you can play deep stacked and improve your winrate.Use your hud and make notes and all of a sudden you have reads.Earlier on you are saying that everyone is playing strong ranges aggressively .....now you are saying there is a lot of bluffing ...
    6. When you hit the premiums, get the manies in fast.

I will be updating/finishing this in the near future, but for now I have other school stuff :P.
    Maybe you could address some of the points i have made.

@Keith: orly? Damn I need to get un-IP-banned from there on my PC .. I'm currently playing on my laptop as I was IP banned for chip dumping.
    surely if you were banned for chip dumping ( which brings into question you ethics and further casts doubt on your experience) your account was closed. Now you are saying that you are still playing at Full tilt which implies that you are now operating against Full Tilts TOS and are multi accounting and liable to have your funds seized when FTP detect you.

this is the reason for shotglass's "nuff said".
    you can get banned for chip-dumping? i love chip-dumpers! or does "chip-dumping" imply you did it with the goal of colluding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_MM View Post
    we shall see

not a good start really , i typed "rush poker" into the search box and came up with 169 posts some even titled rush poker.You say that this is how to win at rush poker. Can you back that up ? have you said at what stakes? Have you shown an impressive graph showing your winnings or posted your stats showing winrate?

great start ....describe the game but then instantly show how litte you know about rush by saying that huds are impossible to use and note taking is difficult. I already showed you in a previous post that huds have been working ( and have been virtually since rush poker arrived) which makes the rest of this point a lot of rubbish). Whilst playing against an opponent if you want to make a note on a guy get the note box open (tilt or hud one) while you are making your river decision and the box will stay there ready to make a note. Whats so hard about that.?
    You are relying here on your misconception that you can only play 1 table , add extra tables and people can then play there blinds much more conventionally. The better players aren't quick folding to get a new hand they are assessing the value of playing that hand or not.

"make sure you have a reasonable hand to barrel, if they call and you have nothing decent check behind and hope they are loose passive." Theres so many contradictions there . You're telling us they are playing tight aggressive and you're barreling, in the hope that they are loose passive calling off with air???
    Do you know your equity with 67s vs premiums?.I'd love to see your maths to justify calling a 3bet with 67s. You seem to be assuming that people will stack off with AA vs a semi coordinated board and a shove.Are you aiming to steal the pot here or get streets of value from the AA?

yet again you show yourself to be ignorant. you take that line because of you not realising how to take notes and is one of the misconceptions amongst low level players that taking a long time indicates weakness.Move up in stakes and opponents will become suspicious and once they've seen you do it it will be noted.

so you're a ratholer. Why don't you learn to play better so that you can play deep stacked and improve your winrate.Use your hud and make notes and all of a sudden you have reads.Earlier on you are saying that everyone is playing strong ranges aggressively .....now you are saying there is a lot of bluffing ...

Maybe you could address some of the points i have made.

surely if you were banned for chip dumping ( which brings into question you ethics and further casts doubt on your experience) your account was closed. Now you are saying that you are still playing at Full tilt which implies that you are now operating against Full Tilts TOS and are multi accounting and liable to have your funds seized when FTP detect you.

this is the reason for shotglass's "nuff said".
    Eugh so much to plow through. I agree that I am not an experienced poker player, and I was not providing ways in which to beat any level other than micro, hence why I posted it in the beginners circle.

Alrighty so the HUD was really just an assumption. Will edit it out.
    My search returned: gya!zo.c!om/7c41780c51f86208b1e2dc43d469570a.png (remove the "!") , and I just assumed that the most relevant results would appear at the top of the page, sorry about that.

You mention a lot of "better players" misconceptions, and, well, this is the beginners circle :/.

I must've gotten off track with being cautious with firing a 2nd barrel. The original post was quite quick and I didn't bother to look over it for mistakes.

The 67s should be played in multi-way pots is what i was trying to get to. This was my first try at making a poker guide, and even though i may state a lot of wrong information, I'm happy I did one, because the constructive criticism you are providing me with was worth writing the guide. I guess it should be more called "My rush poker strategy". I believe that i was on a heater at the time, and was feeling confident that my strategy was flawless, which was really just a bout of over-confidence, I still have much to learn.

Saying that I should learn to be a better player so I can play deep is exactly what I'm gonna try and do . I actually thank you for taking the time out of your day to write that out for me, because it will no doubt provide me with the info I need to become a better poker player.

Can a mod change the thread name to "My rush poker strategy" as it seems a lot more self-opinional and not entirely applicable to all situations.
    So you met Keith then...
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Eugh so much to plow through. I agree that I am not an experienced poker player, and I was not providing ways in which to beat any level other than micro, hence why I posted it in the beginners circle.

Alrighty so the HUD was really just an assumption. Will edit it out.
    My search returned: gya!zo.c!om/7c41780c51f86208b1e2dc43d469570a.png (remove the "!") , and I just assumed that the most relevant results would appear at the top of the page, sorry about that.

You mention a lot of "better players" misconceptions, and, well, this is the beginners circle :/.
    At what point did you consider that Beginners would look at the title of your post and think "Wow , i'll give this a try". You saw it with the first reply from someone with no rush poker experience.The title you gave the thread implies that it is not just for begnners playing the micros but any stakes. You should have posted saying that you were inexperienced and this is my strategy, any comments. Saying that its ok to post authorative strategy type posts because its the beginners circle is just wrong .More experienced players will correct the obvious flaws in posts so that beginners don't get misled.
    I must've gotten off track with being cautious with firing a 2nd barrel. The original post was quite quick and I didn't bother to look over it for mistakes.
    Similar point , you wanted to make an impressive first post , but you couldn't be bothered to check for mistakes ,flaws in logic etc.You wnted to make a guide but couldn't be bothered if it made sense.
    The 67s should be played in multi-way pots is what i was trying to get to.
    but you didn't mention that you were talking about multi way pots , and how many multi way 3bet pots do you think you'll get where you actually flop a straight instead of having to fold your big preflop investment to continued aggression from people with genuine 3bet ranges?.

This was my first try at making a poker guide, and even though i may state a lot of wrong information, I'm happy I did one, because the constructive criticism you are providing me with was worth writing the guide. I guess it should be more called "My rush poker strategy". I believe that i was on a heater at the time, and was feeling confident that my strategy was flawless, which was really just a bout of over-confidence, I still have much to learn.
    which leads on to the other point , how can you still be playing rush if you have been banned? Didn't you learn from the chip dumping and banning that full tilt don't want players who cheat.
    Saying that I should learn to be a better player so I can play deep is exactly what I'm gonna try and do . I actually thank you for taking the time out of your day to write that out for me, because it will no doubt provide me with the info I need to become a better poker player.

Can a mod change the thread name to "My rush poker strategy" as it seems a lot more self-opinional and not entirely applicable to all situations.
    you can change it yourself by editing the first post and then changing the title.
    we shall see .....

not a good start really

LOL, Keith, you're such an ass!

Eugh so much to plow through.
    That would be Keith, he's nice really.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Just reading through Keith's other post, I could multiquote him for hours and say nothing more than what I said above.

But he may still be right.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    At what point did you consider that Beginners would look at the title of your post and think "Wow , i'll give this a try". You saw it with the first reply from someone with no rush poker experience.The title you gave the thread implies that it is not just for begnners playing the micros but any stakes. You should have posted saying that you were inexperienced and this is my strategy, any comments. Saying that its ok to post authorative strategy type posts because its the beginners circle is just wrong .More experienced players will correct the obvious flaws in posts so that beginners don't get misled.
    Similar point , you wanted to make an impressive first post , but you couldn't be bothered to check for mistakes ,flaws in logic etc.You wnted to make a guide but couldn't be bothered if it made sense.
    but you didn't mention that you were talking about multi way pots , and how many multi way 3bet pots do you think you'll get where you actually flop a straight instead of having to fold your big preflop investment to continued aggression from people with genuine 3bet ranges?.
    which leads on to the other point , how can you still be playing rush if you have been banned? Didn't you learn from the chip dumping and banning that full tilt don't want players who cheat.

you can change it yourself by editing the first post and then changing the title.
    Not much I can say back that isn't a half-assed excuse. I changed my post, which I know I should've done earlier but exams etc. took up a lot of my time. I was being foolish at the time, probably because I was on a heater and felt confident that this was a good strategy without really thinking about it. You pretty much just tore my post apart and pissed on it and I'm not being a little whiney bitch just because this isn't candyland where everyones nice to each other, I actually do appreciate the flaws you have pointed out in my post as they helped me improve my play. All-in-all I'll be more cautious when posting here ^^.
    Originally Posted by Keith_MM

Originally Posted by dudeman
    Not much I can say back that isn't a half-assed excuse. I changed my post, which I know I should've done earlier but exams etc. took up a lot of my time. I was being foolish at the time, probably because I was on a heater and felt confident that this was a good strategy without really thinking about it. You pretty much just tore my post apart and pissed on it and I'm not being a little whiney bitch just because this isn't candyland where everyones nice to each other, I actually do appreciate the flaws you have pointed out in my post as they helped me improve my play. All-in-all I'll be more cautious when posting here ^^.
    And yet, still no comment on the chip dumping.

FWIW (and since this started as a Rush thread) to experienced Rush players:
    The thought that I posted in my 1st post was due to an article on Rush strategy in April's CardPlayer mag. :
    Originally Posted by Shotglass

but it seems to me, if I'm understanding the format correctly, that a wider starting hand range and thinner 3 bet and 4 bet ranges would be more profitable. Mainly because why would the villain want to play a marginal hand vs continued agression from the hero when all he has to do is quick fold and get on to a more profitable hand?
    I had thought about moving to FTP and giving it a try, but due to Black Friday
    Anyways, if anyone read that article that started on pg 50ish, would you think that it'd be a profitable strat for someone who is still able to play on FTP?

Anything I say would be used against me, so why bother

FWIW (and since this started as a Rush thread) to experienced Rush players:
    The thought that I posted in my 1st post was due to an article on Rush strategy in April's CardPlayer mag. :
    I had thought about moving to FTP and giving it a try, but due to Black Friday
    Anyways, if anyone read that article that started on pg 50ish, would you think that it'd be a profitable strat for someone who is still able to play on FTP?

Whats the story with chip dumping? I mean, there is like million legal ways to get someone elses money into your account.

You were talking about a topic where guy was talking about raising and reraising every possible hand preflop? If you are great postflop player it is possible, maybe, tried fooling around with it at NL5 few times, its quite high variance ofc, but you also get to suck out alot on a better hands.

However, if you continue to employ this strategy all the time, very soon lots of regulars will catch up and 3bet/4bet you relentlessly.