Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

best bankroll builders on FTP

Default best bankroll builders on FTP

I'm trying to make a switch into playing more MTTs.
    I play mostly SnGs and cash.
    However, I just plain suck at cash games and after dropping $250 I have started to think that perhaps cash is not for me.

So it's back to SnGs for me.
    I want to start building up MTT experience and a bankroll.
    What are some good games to play at FTP on this level?
    I have a $250ish BR left.
    I was thinking of playing mostly the $2.25 180 SnGs.
    Are these worth the effort or are the 45/90 player Sngs better value.
    Or should I just leave them alone altogether?

What I'm looking for are good games for value and payoff to build a bankroll.
    I will be supporting my MTT foray with STTs.

Any advice is awesome. Also personal experience of anyone who has built up this way would be encouraging.

Thanks in advance!!
    I like the 3.30 90 man. One win and you get a huge boost to your bankroll.
    I've never really played the turbo MTTs.
    Is there much variation on skill/variance with the shorter blind levels?
    Well, you get through half the field right away. The skill level of your opponents is going to be relatively low. The hard part comes towards the end, say 24 or less players left and blinds over 100- 200 25 ante. Usually you I will have an average stack around 8 - 10k. Any raise of 2.5 - 3 x BB is going to be 450 - 600. This can lead to some tough decisions. If you are in early position and you standard raise of 600 with AK or AQ and you get reraised the reraise will be in the neighborhood of 1400 - short stack push of mid 2000's. What you do here is tough. Do you call off a quarter of your stack on race being 15 people away from the money? You also may have the best hand against AJ or even Ax suited. But suckouts do happen. While this won't be your tournament life you will have to win your next race, suckout on someone, or avoid a bad beat in order to proceed to the money.
    Making the money is another tough spot in these tourneys. The starting pay rate is just over $5. Hardly worth the time you are going to invest. The pay out doesnt reach over $20 until 4th place. So, you still have to fight to be a large stack and once again survive.
    At the final table (9) you have to get somewhat creative and pick some good spots to pick up the blinds and antes otherwise you will blind out quick due to the tourney style (turbo).
    All in all, one win is good money. And this is definitely a good tourney for very aggressive online players.

While writing this I just folded top pair to a raise and all in reraise. Also putting me all in. It was mid pair vs underpair. I would have tripled up to 10,000 early in the tourney and could have almost coasted into the money. Damn it.