Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Hmmm... push everytime against this type of player?

Default Hmmm... push everytime against this type of player?

No significant reads except a shove with with JJ early on with blinds at 25/50 for 1500 chips that held up against AQ.

PokerStars Game #18616889062: Tournament #94641462, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/07/06 - 04:09:36 (ET)
    Table '94641462 1' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
    Seat 1: creekbear (1630 in chips)
    Seat 3: ReggieLipps (1585 in chips)
    Seat 5: Mash1maro (3139 in chips)
    Seat 7: pvg24 (1463 in chips)
    Seat 8: pghahn (3015 in chips)
    Seat 9: Hero (2668 in chips)
    Mash1maro: posts small blind 25
    pvg24: posts big blind 50
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [Kc Ah]
    pghahn: folds
    Hero: raises 150 to 200
    creekbear: folds
    ReggieLipps: folds
    Mash1maro: raises 350 to 550
    pvg24: folds
    Hero: raises 2118 to 2668 and is all-in

Am I bad?
    I need more info.

Is JJ the only other hand he has played in the entire game? If so, then this is bad...

Has he been raising 1/2 of his hands? If so, then this is good...

Has he reraised much? The more often he has reraised, the better this is.
    I run a training site...

Check out strategy videos at GrinderSchool.com, from $10 / month.
    Total spew. If you really want to fuck with him, take a flop with position.

If I recall correctly, you tend to spew too much and follow up spew with more spew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    ...take a flop with position...
    Hidden among those insults was good advice. Usually it's pretty difficult to find a spot in an SNG where playing potflop is correct. That said, this might be one of them. With 350 to call into a 1k pot, it's certainly a call we can make. Losing after seeing the flop will put us in almost exactly the same point as we were in by folding, and we can pickup extra chips when make our hand and he c-bets.

Edit: Friends don't let friends post while too tired to keep their eyes open.
    I run a training site...

Check out strategy videos at GrinderSchool.com, from $10 / month.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyGB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    ...take a flop with position...
    Hidden among those insults was good advice. Usually it's pretty difficult to find a spot in an SNG where playing potflop is k. That said, this might be one of them. With 200 to call into a 1k pot, it's certainly a call we can make. Losing after seeing the flop will put us in almost exactly the same point as we were in by folding, and we can pickup extra chips when make our hand and he c-bets
    It's actually another 350 to see a flop, but that said, considering stack sizes I think I call and see a flop too given the read that you posted (ie. it didn't seem that he was super LAGG).
    We played together a while ago.

I think blowing him off his hand pre-flop isn't the way to go because his 3-bet is strong and people will gamb00l with you. On the flop is your best chance to get him off the hand. Given usual tourney bet sizing, you have exactly enough to shove over his flop bet unless the flop is something gross like KQ4.
    It is very unlikely you will get him to fold freflop, call and evaluate after the flop

Definetly dont want to be getting in an AI coinflip with 50 BB's. Call and c/r or c/c good flops
    Thanks for the input. Villain ended up calling with AJo and spiking.