Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

KQs SB vs MP facing weird turn raise.

Default KQs SB vs MP facing weird turn raise.

Villain is a pretty aggro LAG who I've been battling a bunch with. He's recently called me down and lost extremely light after checking back a flop previously as pfr. His c-bet is 73% and I don't see him checking back anything strong on this flop. He seems to rep exactly 56s A5s and 55 which doesn't seem like much of a value range. I decide to call the turn with the idea of jamming over some river bets, but on the other hand this line is so ridiculous as a bluff. Is the mantra not that if villains line is really strange for both value and a bluff then it's probably for value?

PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 102.84 BB (VPIP: 29.73, PFR: 24.94, 3Bet Preflop: 10.47, Hands: 846)
    CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.88, PFR: 18.82, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 90)
    BTN: 104.5 BB (VPIP: 24.87, PFR: 20.81, 3Bet Preflop: 9.09, Hands: 209)
    SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 13.57, PFR: 9.60, 3Bet Preflop: 4.08, Hands: 485)
    Hero (BB): 100 BB
    UTG: 215.74 BB (VPIP: 34.65, PFR: 29.70, 3Bet Preflop: 11.25, Hands: 209)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q K

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 6 9 A
    Hero checks, MP checks

Turn: (6.5 BB, 2 players) 5
    Hero bets 4.5 BB, MP raises to 13 BB, Hero calls 8.5 BB

River: (32.5 BB, 2 players) 3
    Hero checks, MP bets 26.38 BB, Hero?
    Not a bad mantra, I hadn't heard it before like that but I surely apply it to my game already.
    Why are we facing a river bet when we we're supposed to be facing a turn raise...

Fold or 3bet turn. I'd fold. River pretty much irrelevant after this hand was butchered ott, but of course call it off to make the spew complete.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketfours View Post
    Why are we facing a river bet when we we're supposed to be facing a turn raise...

Fold or 3bet turn. I'd fold. River pretty much irrelevant after this hand was butchered ott, but of course call it off to make the spew complete.
    Yeah I posted it this way as my spewy plan was to do something that didn't involve folding on the river. Are you giving him more of a value range on the turn than stuff that made it on the turn and doesn't bet flop?
    I'm trying to find hands he would play like this if he was strong on the flop. AA? 78s bets, A9 bets 66/99 bet, it's drawy enough. I've seen people do this when they have 55. And fwiw a low percentage of the time I might slowplay a strong hand like this because I know noone believes this. I'm never bluffing here because it is too obviously bluffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    I'm trying to find hands he would play like this if he was strong on the flop. AA? 78s bets, A9 bets 66/99 bet, it's drawy enough. I've seen people do this when they have 55. And fwiw a low percentage of the time I might slowplay a strong hand like this because I know noone believes this. I'm never bluffing here because it is too obviously bluffy.
    Yeah I agree with this, it just doesn't make any sense for a competent reg to run a bluff here, and moreover, I think most of the hands that even need to bluff here he's c-betting flop with. I play bad. I did fold the river in the end as I decided to abandon my plan and not "make the spew complete"
    I would play it the same actually. On the turn you still have the nut draw and there's a chance he is just raising a gut shot like 7x 8x and such things. When he bets the river big you fold.

It would be really interesting if villain is capable of doing this with a hand like T8s or 67s. One you beat one you don't. But there just aren't many of those hands in a normal preflop range that would bet near pot on the river, so this is very heavily discounted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post
    Villain is a pretty aggro LAG who I've been battling a bunch with. He's recently called me down and lost extremely light after checking back a flop previously as pfr. His c-bet is 73% and I don't see him checking back anything strong on this flop. He seems to rep exactly 56s A5s and 55 which doesn't seem like much of a value range. I decide to call the turn with the idea of jamming over some river bets, but on the other hand this line is so ridiculous as a bluff. Is the mantra not that if villains line is really strange for both value and a bluff then it's probably for value?

PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 102.84 BB (VPIP: 29.73, PFR: 24.94, 3Bet Preflop: 10.47, Hands: 846)
    CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.88, PFR: 18.82, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 90)
    BTN: 104.5 BB (VPIP: 24.87, PFR: 20.81, 3Bet Preflop: 9.09, Hands: 209)
    SB: 100 BB (VPIP: 13.57, PFR: 9.60, 3Bet Preflop: 4.08, Hands: 485)
    Hero (BB): 100 BB
    UTG: 215.74 BB (VPIP: 34.65, PFR: 29.70, 3Bet Preflop: 11.25, Hands: 209)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q K

fold, MP raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB
    how about try to win a big pot with this pretty hand
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    P4s you do see he has the nut flush draw and the nut high card, right? Turn is a clear call, he can have clubs, but I'd fold the river. I think calling with the intention of check jamming rivers is a bad idea when his only legit hand range is two pair and a set and you beat air. You should be calling with the intention of maybe calling some rivers, or folding every river, but I wouldn't consider c/ring any rivers.
    Call turn and fold river seems like it would be my standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    but I wouldn't consider c/ring any rivers.
    all the aces seem pretty good

i 3b pre 90+%
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    P4s you do see he has the nut flush draw and the nut high card, right? Turn is a clear call, he can have clubs, but I'd fold the river. I think calling with the intention of check jamming rivers is a bad idea when his only legit hand range is two pair and a set and you beat air. You should be calling with the intention of maybe calling some rivers, or folding every river, but I wouldn't consider c/ring any rivers.
    Yeah I still think it's super marginal with only 7 outs to the nuts, very little io but some rio depending on our plan. Very unlikely we will win when we hit a pair. Villain rarely has spades which is a big problem. By the way if I'm calling then I'm leading both clubs and spades.