Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

The theory of evolution - poker and otherwise

Default Evolution - poker and otherwise(Now with Song of the Day!)

Let me first explain my rational for creating a new Blog/OP so soon after creating my initial one. In the last week I moved back to school and have a lot more structure in my day which allows for less poker play and this is a good thing. My old OP was basically just the crybaby tilt complaints of someone who had nothing better to do than play hours and hours and hours of very marginally profitable poker.

I recently, with help from both Grinderschool and a new year, have made an exceptional change in my poker game/mindset which has allowed to me to plug a large amount of leaks in my previous game. With this change I have a much greater confidence in my game and feel like I can finally begin to embark on my poker journey.

I have 3 very concrete goals that I will begin this journey with in mind.

1) Quit whenever I feel my edge of the competition slipping away due to tilt or fatigue.
    2) Reach $1000 online via increasing stakes as BR management allows.
    3) Reach $1500 so I can take a shot at 50NL HU as HU is my favorite game to play.

My secondary goals are simply to continue my growth as a player, win a fairly sizable tournament, successfully cash out a sizable chunk of profit without having to move down afterwards.

Outside of poker I will continue my routine of eating healthy, getting enough sleep, practicing baseball, and regular gym time to balance my poker out with a good outside life.
    Last edited by Donachello; 03-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Along with that first post I also wanted to post my current stats, though the sample size is rather small, to see if anyone can pick up some glaring stats related leaks. Thanks guys

Problem officer...?
    Played the longest session I have in a while tonight. Experimented with 6-tabling for the first time in a while because I was not getting any cards on my 4 original tables. All in all it was a good learning session. Lost just under 4 buyins over the course of 2.5 hours and 1000+ hands mostly due to running pretty horribly but also definitely made a few incorrect hero calls most likely due in part to tilt. I think I will continue playing 6 tables from now on as the higher volume of hands is an attractive prospect and I didn't feel overwhelmed ever during my session.

Things to focus on next time: Remember to take time on decisions even when 3 tables pop at once. Minimize frustration when not receiving many playable hands/ keep opening ranges the same even if this means running far below normal VP/PFR.

Mood: Optimistic though slightly irritated. Must remember this process takes time.

Problem officer...?
    Fairly good weekend in pokerville. Played around 2k hands and continued to keep my BB/100 at 5.65. After watching some poker tournament replays on TV I decided to take a shot at a little bigger tournament and bought into the FTP super stack today for 11. Normally I play cash games while playing a tournament but because this was a bigger one I shut everything down but the one table. In retrospect this was probably not the best idea as I ended up folding almost every hand for the first 1:30 of the tournament. Due to the level of card deadness I tried unsuccessfully to make a couple FPS poker plays and ended up losing half my stack and finally got knocked out on a stupid bluffy spew shove with a small pp. I enjoyed the super stack but next time I play it I will make sure to NEVER FPS like I did in this one. Will play in the daily dollar tonight while doing homework.

Have been trying out 8-tabling 5NL with success the last two days. Though it definitely requires me to stay focused and my redline has dipped I have still been profitable.

Mood: Slightly frustrated and impatient but happy about winning.

Problem officer...?
    Note to self. NEVER PLAY WHEN YOU AREN'T IN THE MOOD TO. -4 BI, in an hour on terrible play and a couple bad beats. At least I got enough FTP for the ironman status I'm going for. Still.... if I can just reduce my two worst sessions by 70% by not making awful plays I end up 6 buyins up of where I am so that is now a focus.

Problem officer...?
    good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Thanks courtie

Well.... Today's session was a learning experience. I haven't run this poorly in a while and god does it get boring being forced to play 8/8 on 7 out of the 8 tables because of the cards being dealt to you. But whatever, I watched another Spenda video on grinderschool and tried to implement some of the things he talked about. I've lowered my aggression a great deal as I think that C-betting 95% of my opens is a little too high variance for these levels. As a result my redline dipped some more but then again, I literally didn't hit a flop for like 50 straight hands.

Oh, I tried satelliting into FTOPS 8 last night and got knocked out in 27th on a fairly meh shove. I think I will stop playing tournaments until I solidify my bankroll at 500 or more.

Off to the Bio lab for the afternoon >_<

Problem officer...?
    ew bio lab! What are you taking and where do you go to school?
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

@ tonight's session. 844 hands in 1.12 hours 8tabling as usual. Total profit: 3.32 lolz. Tonight was the very definition of grind. Largest hand won was 2.80 and largest hand lost was 1.80. I was dealt AA and KK a total of 12 times with more AA than KK in various positions on tables all of which included people running 40+ in their VP and I received a total of 12 walks. Unreal. I feel like I am playing much less over aggro and sometimes erring on the side of too passive now, however, it will take a few more days of play like this to determine whether the passivity is beneficial.

I have a new minor goal of achieving "Silver" Iron man status via 25 days of 50+ points on FTP.

@courtie.
    I am a Junior at North Central College in Naperville, Ill. I'm only taking Bio 101 as I am a digital art/media/communications (my school calls it Interactive Media Studies or IMS) major and play baseball but I need a couple science gen-ed courses for my degree.

Problem officer...?
    good luck to you
    Hmm.......... I would be interested to hear other people's input on this subject. I thought that perhaps a bad run of cards would be something you can play through, like working through an injury in a sport. However, today was just a giant kick in the nuts for me. I lost 9 buy ins in the space of 1500 hands on nothing but coolers. Sets over sets, Sets over overpairs, rivered straights, KK<AA, AA<66, etc. I had no idea it was possible to get so unlucky so often. I got to the point today where I was positive if I got it in ahead that I would lose the hand (BAD ATTITUDE FOR POKER). I really need to start making money as I don't really have much income right now and I KNOW for a fact I am playing good enough poker to win at these stakes consistently. It's just absolutely gross to go through a session like today. Thank god for rakeback or I'd be back to 2NL so fast.

Problem officer...?
    NEEDING to make money because you don't have much income is a very bad place to be. Right now you should be focused on building your BR as much as possible without having to worry each time you lose a few buyins.

9 buyins in 1500 hands is a lot...are you sure they were all coolers and bad beats? That being said, yeah it's definitely possible to run that bad and it's definitely possible to run even worse. You just have to fight through it. IMO, it's the most difficult thing to master when it comes to playing poker. You seem to have a good attitude, so just keep working at it. I lost 14 buyins over 5k hands at the start of the month, so I pretty much know how you feel

Yeah the whole worrying about money thing is very counter productive. Which is why it's good that I'm not in dire straights in terms of needing money to live. I just don't have any cash to spend on fun things or trips or eating out. So yeah basically it'd just be nice to be making some money.

This hand is basically the summary of my downswing haha.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($5.01)
    Button ($4.11)
    SB ($5.08)
    BB ($5.41)
    UTG ($5.07)
    Hero (MP) ($5.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, K
    UTG bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.60, 1 fold, Button calls $0.60, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.87) 9, 9, 3 (3 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $1.15, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.15

Turn: ($4.17) 6 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $0.05, UTG raises to $0.45, Hero raises to $3.40 (All-In), UTG calls $2.87 (All-In)

River: ($10.81) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $10.81 | Rake: $0.72

Problem officer...?
    Hot DAMN. The last 24 hours have been absolutely NUTS in terms of my poker experience. In the midst of a downswing I continued to make many mistakes which coupled with a minor tilt sent me spiraling down the wrong way of the poker graph. I erased 2 weeks of profit in just 3 days despite making plenty of good plays and stacking people in some pretty awesome hands. Why was I stacking people and still falling downward? I decided to review my sessions and see if there was anything I could figure out. What I noticed was that I was spiking my profit upwards or downwards based on stacking off but behind all that I was on a fairly steep but still hidden in the graph linear decrease. This was being caused primarily by poor Cbetting habits.

I had always know I was Cbetting with almost alarming consistency but after closer inspection I KNEW that this was my main problem. Part of the way through my 6 hour session from 1:30-7:30 am last night/ this morning I became so frustrated with being called down by stations that I quit 5NL. I made a pretty risky move and, not one I recommend, and shut down my 6 tables of 5NL in favor of 2 tables of 25NL. I began to focus, do to the smaller # of tables and also because of how much of my BR was at risk, in my post flop play in a way I hadn't really done so before. My consistent aggression in post flop poker became much more reasonable and intelligent instead of mechanical.

I wormed my way back up to where I had started the day and continued today to play a little bit of 25NL. I finally went back to 5NL and applied what I had learned to my old 6-table setup and everything just came so much easier. I was winning big pots when I wanted to (barring the standard suckouts) and losing some small money pots here and there to 3bets, 4bets, or bricking the flop. The whole "win big pots when ahead and lose small ones when behind" was hammered into my skull and finally working out the way I knew it should. So finally I sit here, with a day of profitable poker under my belt feeling more comfortable in my game than I have in a while.

Problem officer...?
    Why did you jump right into 25NL after a bad day at 5NL? Could've easily turned into a disaster...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaKennyBody
    Why did you jump right into 25NL after a bad day at 5NL? Could've easily turned into a disaster...
    Yeah I know, like I said I don't recommend doing this. However, for me, this was the only way that I was able to snap myself out of a rut of tilt and poor play. I went into it with the mindset that if I were to lose two buy ins ($50) I would be back at a $50 dollar bank roll and be forced to play 2NL again and learn all over again like I clearly needed to. However, I was lucky enough to stop tilting and able to recoup my loses for the pat 3 days very quickly while also finding my main leak and boosting my confidence. Obviously this is not correct BR management and I am in no way saying that anyone under any circumstances should do this. I'm just writing my poker experiences in my poker blog is all.

Problem officer...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaKennyBody
    Yeah I know, like I said I don't recommend doing this. However, for me, this was the only way that I was able to snap myself out of a rut of tilt and poor play.
    I'm sure this has been the retrospective justification of every single person to tilt, play higher than their bankroll and be fortunate enough to emerge with something left.

I'd suggest in future that if you don't want to take a break, then stay at the stake your bankroll can maintain, drop from 6 to 4 tables and use the spare time to concentrate, watch more hands from the other players go to showdown and take good notes. If you really feel like your image has gone to hell, you're being called down ridiculously light, your options are to tighten up and exploit that previous image or start over at a new table.

Quote Originally Posted by Donachello
    I became so frustrated with being called down by stations that I quit 5NL.
    I hope on reflection this sticks out to you the way it did to me.
    It's been a while since I wrote anything but I feel this is a great time seeing as how I seem to be at a crossroads in both life and in poker. I start baseball practice tomorrow at 5:30 am and will be doing that 4 days a week. As a result I need to commit to earlier bed time and more exercise so my volume of hands will need to go down.

As far as poker goes, I crossed the 100k hands mark a couple days ago. I a in the midst of a downswing that has me questioning everything I know about poker. I've done tons of reading on these forums and watched Spenda's micro videos here and at grinder school and for a while I thought I was making progress. Now though, I just don't know. I tried playing TAGGy only to experience insane amount of variance which lead me to try playing a more passive pot control style which has only lead to more losses. I'm getting so frustrated because I feel like I am playing well when I play TAGGy but I seem to end up value-towning myself so often that I am beginning to feel like I need to scale back my aggression. Especially in 3bet pots.

I have a few questions for everyone who is more experienced than I am.

First, currently I am usually 3betting with hands like JJ+ In position and TT OOP. I also 3bet AK and AQs both in position and OOP usually. Additionally I tend to polarize my range a bit by 3betting some suited connectors IP. I'm getting a bit uncertain about my 3betting range such as the inclusion of AQ and TT-JJ IP. Is it better to flat these vs an EP raise to keep their range as wide as possible? Vs. a TAGG? Vs. a LAGG? Vs. any passive person? These questions I just can't figure out right now.

Second, I have really been trying to refine my Cbetting recently with mixed results. So I'd like to just throw out a couple theories about it and have better people let me know what they think. As far as Cbetting goes it is an interesting balance. The way I see it you want to be Cbetting wet flops to extract value with your made hands, ie TPTK and Cbetting dry flops with your airy hands so as to pick up the dead money. Obviously, Cbetting is also highly villain dependent but is that basic theory correct? For instance, if we Hold AhQd and flop TPTK on the board Qs7s8h this is surely a good spot to Cbet to both protect our hand and to extract value from draws. On the other hand if we hold AsQc on a board like Qs7s8s is this also a good spot to Cbet because of our nut draw? Or is this a better spot to check call?

As for dry flops. Let us say we hold JJ in a 3bet pot and the flop comes down 3h7cQs. Shall we 3bet here? The only hands calling us as far as I can see are beating us except maybe TT or AK. Conversely, if the board is 3h7c9h. Is this a spot to b/f? Can we assume that the only hands raising our Cbet are beating us?

Clearly I have an assload of learning to do since after 50000+ hands at 5NL I have fallen all the way back to breaking even. I just wish that I could really pinpoint my leaks because right now I simply have no idea why I am losing other than running bad and sometimes stacking off too light.

Problem officer...?
    So it's been a while since I last posted. I'll admit my last posts are at best embarrassing and at worst just absolute verbal diarrhea not worthy of being read. However, I'll leave them there to remind myself of a mind state I hope to never be in again.

After getting a wake up slap in the face thanks to my guys in the IRC channel I have become remotivated in a way I certainly wasn't before despite feeling like I was (lol sentence structure). Gone are my days of auto-piloting 6 tables for a .08bb/100 hands and thinking that I am actually accomplishing anything. Recently there has been a lot of new responsibilities in my life and as a result I am needing to manage my time that much better. I am focusing on studying both in school and in poker a lot more than I have previously and I feel like it's paying off. I have recently received a 100 dollar bonus on FT that needs to be worked off in the next month, though I will most likely fall short since I have my baseball spring break trip coming up halfway through March.

Speaking of baseball, it has been a great source of inspiration for my poker game because of the amount of work and mindset that I approach that game with. I truly enter every bullpen, game, and practice with improving and winning at the foremost of my mind and this is starting to rub off on my poker brain.

Additionally, I recently got a job over the internet with the old company I used to work for testing some of their websites for bugs and though the pay is not exceptional by any means it certainly gives me a little bit of a comfort zone to the point where my poker can take longer to come along.

I'm trying, for the first time in my life, to keep everything in balance and to give each aspect of life 100% effort while also staying organized. It's certainly a tough job juggling poker, baseball, classes, work, and still managing to get enough sleep to function throughout the day but despite that I'm not feeling a lot of pressure and am actually relishing the challenge.

More updates with more poker related stuff later.

Problem officer...?
    Just seen this cuz apparently you only update once a month. Unlike myself where I update every time I wipe my ass lol.

I did the whole tilt/move up to 25nl thing except mine went WAAAAYYYY different. I was on a $45ish BR, was tilting balls moved up and lost all but ~$5 of my BR. Took a shot in a $2.20 6m tournament, managed to finish pretty deep and thats what finally got my BR rolling in the right direction. The thing I took away from it was moving up when getting wtfpwnt (no matter the reason) is never the right move. The vast majority of the time you will destroy your BR and end up hating yourself for doing it. I was pretty pissed at myself for a while after it happened, but it got me back on the right track to playing disciplined, winning poker. I almost wonder if it would have been better if you would have lost it...

Anyways, enough bitching at you. If you need anything, sweat, talk about poker, bitches, baseball, wutevs, hit me up on AIM or MSN. [email protected] or dranger7070 for aim. Same for skype. Idk if you've posted any stats or anything since that initial 4.4k or whatever, if you haven't I'd recommend doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello View Post
    Yeah the whole worrying about money thing is very counter productive. Which is why it's good that I'm not in dire straights in terms of needing money to live. I just don't have any cash to spend on fun things or trips or eating out. So yeah basically it'd just be nice to be making some money.

This hand is basically the summary of my downswing haha.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($5.01)
    Button ($4.11)
    SB ($5.08)
    BB ($5.41)
    UTG ($5.07)
    Hero (MP) ($5.15)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, K
    UTG bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.60, 1 fold, Button calls $0.60, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.87) 9, 9, 3 (3 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $1.15, 1 fold, UTG calls $1.15

Turn: ($4.17) 6 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $0.05, UTG raises to $0.45, Hero raises to $3.40 (All-In), UTG calls $2.87 (All-In)

River: ($10.81) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $10.81 | Rake: $0.72
    whats this turn bet designed to do? If he was on a diamond draw he could call it cheap for 5c and hit his flush on the river. Charge them to hit their draws .
    @ the above post, that was a very villain specific hand where he had a history of shoving with garbage vs small bets and yes I know it is probably not a great play.

Villain is 16/10/2.5

MP ($3.70)
    CO ($5.52)
    Button ($8.40)
    SB ($2.45)
    BB ($5)
    Hero (UTG) ($7.19)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, K
    Hero bets $0.20, 2 folds, Button calls $0.20, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.47) Q, 7, J (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.40, Button raises to $0.90, Hero calls $0.50

Raising range is probably AQ, OJ, 77, and I'll put half of the JJ combinations cause I think he 3bets them at least some of the time. Against this range I have 48% equity with say 2 real outs.

Turn: ($2.27) 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($4.27) Q (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets $1

Total pot: $4.27

I'm just really stumped on this hand... Should I just fold the flop? Or based on the turn bet being less than half pot which may or may not indicate weakness should I be jamming? Though after talking to daven I shouldn't be including QJ into his range. Though I would probably include QJs in the range which gives me 56% equity. I'm not sure whether 3betting flop or calling and b/f the turn would be good here.

I really gotta improve my redline if I want to become more profitable. Right now I am making money but at a very low winrate due to my W$ w/o SD losing me like 70% of my winnings.

Problem officer...?
    I think the call the flop raise and b/f turn would be an EXCELLENT line in this spot. He will certainly stack off with AQ on the flop, but maybe only some of the time with KQ, and he's obv stacking JJ, 77, QJ, etc so its probably best to call, b/f like you said. As played, c/c is fine. If you're going to do the b/f line, make it something 'committing' so you can let it go easily since he's only raising hands that beat you really.
    Quote Originally Posted by dranger7070 View Post
    I think the call the flop raise and b/f turn would be an EXCELLENT line in this spot. He will certainly stack off with AQ on the flop, but maybe only some of the time with KQ, and he's obv stacking JJ, 77, QJ, etc so its probably best to call, b/f like you said. As played, c/c is fine. If you're going to do the b/f line, make it something 'committing' so you can let it go easily since he's only raising hands that beat you really.

Villain's likely shipping AQ to turn donkbets a very high% of the time

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)
    He's shipping 77, JJ, QJ 100&#37;...
    Quote Originally Posted by dranger7070 View Post
    He's shipping 77, JJ, QJ 100%...
    Yes I realize that but if he's also shipping AQ, bet/folding a "committing" amount is terribad

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

7,128 games 0.005 secs 1,425,600 games/sec

Board: Qd 7s Jh 9c
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 48.485% 48.48% 00.00% 3456 0.00 { JJ, 77, AQs, QJs, AQo, QJo }
    Hand 1: 51.515% 51.52% 00.00% 3672 0.00 { KK }
    Last edited by caddie444; 03-01-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Don't complain; Just work harder - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture)
    Finished Feb with 7.5 BIs in profit. Meh... I won 190 dollars @ SD and lost 150 w/o SD. Over all the month was good for solidifying some concepts like managing my Cbetting more effectively and making sure I am playing bigger pots with winning hands. I won money @ SD at close to 58&#37; which is pretty damn high imo. That brings me to goals for the month:

Poker Goals
    Revert to my stronger TAG style I previously played to some extent now that I have a much stronger grasp on postflop play.
    ^ should lead to a much improved red-line this month.
    Comfortably entrench myself at 10NL
    Clear at least half of the 100 dollar bonus FTP gave me.

Life Goals
    Kick the cold that I have had off an on for the last 3 weeks.
    Cement my varsity spot on the baseball team allowing me to travel with the team to Florida on March 14th.
    Get back in the gym 4 days a week minimum and get back to/surpass my old maxes at all lifts.
    Pass all my classes and keep my college GPA above 3.0

Problem officer...?
    Poker today was meh, well, the whole day was meh. Sweated a session with speedcake which was good. It's always nice to see solid poker working out and getting some basic stuff reinforced by a solid player.

Played about 3 hours today. Made one terrible bluff for a stack. Failed to bluff a donk off his 33 on a paired board with all over cards. Lost a QQ > AA and a 99 > JJ SSer. The rest of my losses were all +EV moves that took a giant beating from the variance hammer. Played solid poker and had a positive redline for once, so at least one mission is accomplished.

Got a big day of baseball tomorrow so I'm calling it an early night + I'm a bit sick.

Variance makes me sad panda

Problem officer...?
    Lulz. GG poker today. Played so poorly. Went hyper ag, I don't believe anyone, mode today. Luckily I finally reigned it in long enough to take a 98/13 super fish with a $28 stack for his entire stack in the space of 4 hands.

I really really really really really need to remember to STOP CBETTING WITH NO EQUITY ON WET OR SEMI-WET FLOPS. Well, for that matter, I need to apply the same focus I do to turn and river decisions to flop decisions. Auto-piloting any part of any hand will result in less than optimal play. On a good note, I managed to break even or even win a little bit today despite playing like absolute crap. I am going to try and ramp up the volume a bit since our practice schedule drops off a little bit now. Will continue to study, need to remember to finish reading Sklansky's books like I intended.

[ ] improved redline losses.
    [x] realize what i need to do to fix some leaks.

Problem officer...?
    meh, just keep in mind c betting wet flops can be vastly different when you are in position vs out of position and when you have good notes or reads vs not having good notes and reads.
    your banner burned here
    So I read a great post about Cbetting and the HUD
    Cbets, HUD Reads and Problem Solving

This whole post put a lot of stuff in perspective for me. I spent some time retooling my HUD, getting it set up to look nicer, show better stats, and also color coded it to some extent. In addition to this I am trying to get at least some sort of note on every player I can. I decided to color code each player type I notice. Everyone who is clearly fishy I mark with a green note that I can add to once I pick up tendencies, all very nitty players are marked with Red, and all Reg-ish players I mark with a Blue note. That way, during table selection in the main lobby I can quickly see the general distribution of people at tables and also seat select better even before my HUD stats pop up.

It's worked out nicely so far, my red-line slowed down a great deal, and though it is still a downward trend it isn't nearly as steep as it was before which is about where it should be. I also took a successful, albeit brief, shot at 10NL this morning and plan to begin my transition to that stake now.

20 Dollars of bonus minimum must be earned by March 17th. Should be easy.

This next week will be very busy, but I'll try to keep up some moderate volume.

Problem officer...?
    Week 10 of the term = almost no time to play. Still trying to do some reading of posts/articles on the side. Haven't put any hands in in the last couple days. I dicked around on rush poker for 45 minutes this weekend tried playing super LAGGY and just being a total monkey in general. Won almost 4 buy-ins before losing it all back at the very end. Probably won't play rush again for a while. I will try to log some hands at 10NL today if homework and final projects permits.

I also came up with an idea that might be fun for anyone who is reading. I'm going to try and couple every blog post with my favorite grinding song of the day. Genre's will probably be all over the place but a lot of it will be electronic stuff (DnB, dubstep, house, trance, etc.). Just my way of giving back to anyone who is taking their time to check out this blog. So to kick it off with a bang here are is not 1 but 4 tunes for today!
    (DnB)
    B Complex - Beautiful Lies
    YouTube - B-Complex - Beautiful Lies (No Podcast)

Unknown Error - The Yearning
    YouTube - Unknown Error - The Yearning

(Dubstep)
    Skism - The Blank
    YouTube - Skism - The Blank

(Electro House)
    Hard2House - crushcrushcrush remix (ft. paramore) *It says Klaas but it's not actually him*
    YouTube - Paramore - Crush Crush Crush (Klaas Remix)

Thanks for checking in

Problem officer...?
    So it's been a while since my last update.

I recently switched to FR since I have major tilt issues at 6m. As a result I was able to push my BR over the 300 dollar mark in a little over a day. I feel like the game I was playing at 6m translated extremely well to FR. It brought to light a few things about my 6m game that need addressing if I am ever going to be more than a BE player there. I have a huge problem finding the line between outplaying people and just value-towning myself.

As my brief stint at 6m showed me tonight. I just don't have the right play style to ever beat micro stakes right now. I stack off way too light at 6m because I do not give my shitty opponents credit. I think that is why FR is the thing for me because I am forced to consider them always having a better hand. For instance today, I was dealt QQ towards the end of my session and called a 3bet OOP. The flop was all under cards and I ended up stacking off even though in the back of my mind I knew he probably had KK which he did. The very next hand I was dealt AA and 4bet shoved over a flop 3bet on a K-high board. Villain showed a set, go figure. The very next hand I was dealt AA. Again a K high board and again I am facing a 3bet. Only this time, the pot is 3way and a loose shorter stack 4bet shoves. Now in 6max this would probably be an insta call since there is a flushdraw on the board. However, I weighed my options and laid down the bullets to see my two opponents flip a set and a nut flush draw. The set held up to take the pot.

I quit my tables and fired up some two 6m to see if I had learned anything. Lo-and-behold I felt pretty sharp and was making some good bluffs and playing pretty intelligently. But then a couple river rats later and I find myself stacking off with 66 just because PT3 says that my opponent has a 53% steal and 20% 3bet. Seriously wtf. Just lay that shit down at 10NL. Clearly I don't have the self control to stop trying to meta-game own kids who have no clue what the compound word meta-game even means. I drop close to 3 buy ins in around 100 hands and vow to never play 6max again until I hit a level where metagame is useful or until I gain some semblance of self-control (hopefully the latter happens first). Still holding a profit today of around 3 buy ins but shitting away those last 3 was unexcusable.

FR, onward and upward.

Oh.

Song of the day:
    YouTube - boards of canada - dayvan cowboy

Problem officer...?
    Discipline is so fundamental, isn't it? I think full ring is an excellent start for people who feel they need to establish some consistency with their discipline, gl! Grats on having great taste in music too man. Hope you know/like some of these!

Bright Eyes - No One Would Riot For Less (Dubstep Remix) - So epic.

Super8 & Tab - Elektra - Pure, uncut happy. Aural sex and probably my favourite ever trance track. The breakdown/euphoric lifts around 4.30 and 5.50 make my heart swell.

Armin van Buuren - What If feat. Vera Ostrova (Ohmna Remix) - An amazing remix that really suits the lyrics.

Gareth Emery And Jon O'Bir - No Way Back (Ali Wilson's Tekelec Remix) - Vibrant track, brings back a lot of really good memories.

I could pretty much post anything by Above & Beyond/Oceanlab.

Hope you don't mind the hijack :P
    YouTube - Jomanda - Make My Body Rock (basic version) (stereo)

but we should not leave out the dubs imho
    YouTube - St Germain - Dub Experience II
    YouTube - Hypnotic - The Four Elements
    YouTube - ENIGMA - SADNESS

keep grinding yo!

Edit: I added a ton more songs, but only these got pasted for some reason and I don't have time to go searching for all of them again. Needless to say, I love house, electro, downtempo, chillout, lo-fi, lounge, so our musical tastes are very similar.
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 03-28-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    So fucking disgusted right now.

I go from being up 13 BIs in a day to down 1 overall in 3 more. Seriously what the fuck. I don't even feel like I'm playing poorly, I'm thinking out my moves, I'm value betting when I can, stealing (probably a little too much but I've really toned this down). My redline isn't an exponential decrease anymore but my god damn showdown winnings are straight downward. Seriously, I run up against the very very top of everyone's range at every showdown and literally haven't won a pot larger than the blinds with AA in over 10k hands. This shit is just gross, and just when I thought I had made a breakthrough... downswing city. I guess I'd better review some hands but they are mostly just coolers.

sigh....

PS. good musical taste guys

Problem officer...?
    keep your chin up dude, play well and the $$ will follow.

and keep posting tracks. I saw these guys live a few nights back - good as always...

YouTube - Minuit 'Except You' Music Video (2004)
    YouTube - 25 BUCKS - Minuit (Official)
    YouTube - FUJI
    So fucking disgusted right now.

I go from being up 13 BIs in a day to down 1 overall in 3 more. Seriously what the fuck. I don't even feel like I'm playing poorly, I'm thinking out my moves, I'm value betting when I can, stealing (probably a little too much but I've really toned this down). My redline isn't an exponential decrease anymore but my god damn showdown winnings are straight downward. Seriously, I run up against the very very top of everyone's range at every showdown and literally haven't won a pot larger than the blinds with AA in over 10k hands. This shit is just gross, and just when I thought I had made a breakthrough... downswing city. I guess I'd better review some hands but they are mostly just coolers.

sigh....

PS. good musical taste guys
    Post some hands in here and I will look at them, I'm sure the others who post in here will too. FTR is an awesomely helpful place and the only way you're left alone to deal with your problems is if you don't post them.

I'm loving the new Hybrid album "Disappear Here" and was going to post their epic remix of Sasha's Xpander but I can't find it on Youtube or Grooveshark, so these will have to do as a little homage:

R.E.M. - The Great Beyond (Hybrid Remix) - I only found this today and my head exploded. I love the original but this is so good.

Moby ft Gwen Stefani - South Side (Hybrid Dishing Pump Remix) - A serious motivator. Love and darkness and my sidearm.

Daven - Never heard of Minuit but loved the tracks. Thanks man.
    Well, I procrastinated my way into April so I might as well make this blog post now before bed. Short and Sweet.

Goals.
    100 FTP per day/25 days for Gold IronMan status.
    Get at least half of the way to 25NL, meaning taking my 10NL BR to a minimum of 375.
    Post a hand at least every other day.
    IMPROVE BRO!

Non-Poker Goals.
    Finish recording/mastering 1-2 songs in my new music project.
    Have a successful month in baseball starting with my pitching this Friday.
    Stick to the healthy diet and workout regimen I implemented this week resulting in what I hope to be an additional 2-5 lbs. of muscle.
    Stay on top of my school work so as to not detract from my poker focus.

GL HF to all

Problem officer...?
    have a good april dude!
    Goals.
    100 FTP per day/25 days for Gold IronMan status. cool, but not worth playing when you shouldn't be = tired/drunk/whatever just to get gold
    Get at least half of the way to 25NL, meaning taking my 10NL BR to a minimum of 375. do this and more!
    Post a hand at least every other day. here or BC? bc is probably better. One approach is to post complicated/difficult hands in bc and simply your biggest winning and losing hands (no results) in the blog. BC will get your poker mind working, those big hands where you think it was standard will expose not so obvious problems
    IMPROVE BRO! ja
    Non-Poker Goals.
    Finish recording/mastering 1-2 songs in my new music project. and post them here
    Have a successful month in baseball starting with my pitching this Friday. cool!
    Stick to the healthy diet and workout regimen I implemented this week resulting in what I hope to be an additional 2-5 lbs. of muscle. nice
    Stay on top of my school work so as to not detract from my poker focus. yep, school is more important than 10nl... l
    Update.

So the volume is going well so far, not hurting my play at all. I'm having fun and feeling like I am playing excellent poker to beat these stakes. I'm not bluffing except in correct spots for the most part, taking down a lot more pots that people seem to be giving up on and finally am running pretty well again.

In bad news I tried to satellite into the WSOP ME on FTP and ended up playing the HU tournament at the same time. As a result I busto'd in the HU tourney in like 5 minutes on 7 or 8 really poorly played bluffs. BUT I HAD BIGGER THINGS ON MY MIND! Unfortunately, I got a lot of good hands in the ME sat, got no action and ended up shoving QQ into the chip leader at my table who proceeded to call me with T9 and runner runner straight my flopped set of Qs. Sad-life.

In music news:
    I found an absolutely amazing DnB/Metal/Hardrock/Trance/Electro artist called Celldweller. I have yet to hear a song by him that I do not like.
    YouTube - Celldweller - So Long Sentiment

*Edit*

Just had to add this 'cause it made me feel good

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($4.88)
    MP3 ($3.85)
    CO ($11.75)
    Button ($14.38)
    Hero (SB) ($19.68)
    BB ($11.13)
    UTG ($9.50)
    UTG+1 ($19.17)
    MP1 ($10.72)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, 10
    1 fold, UTG+1 bets $0.30, MP1 raises to $0.85, 3 folds, Button calls $0.85, Hero calls $0.80, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.55

Flop: ($3.50) 7, K, A (4 players)
    Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets $1.95, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.95, 1 fold

Turn: ($7.40) 8 (2 players)
    Hero bets $3.45, MP1 raises to $7.92 (All-In), Hero calls $4.47

River: ($23.24) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $23.24 | Rake: $1.54
    Last edited by Donachello; 04-04-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Problem officer...?
    nice
    Okay so plans changed a little bit. I transferred most of my roll to stars and then withdrew most of it. I am regrinding from 2NL up. Should be interesting. The players at stars seem almost 10 times as bad as the players at FTP. It's interesting relearning to play nittier since I'd become kinda LAGGY on FTP. I'll be updating most days with a BR # and probably every week with a weight # for myself as all my other April goals are the same.

BR: $66
    W: 182.6 lbs.

Music: More Celldweller OBV! This guy is amazing.
    YouTube - Celldweller - Symbiont

Problem officer...?
    how come u moved to stars?
    Rake, I like the VIP program better, and mostly because of some issues with the name on the FTP account potentially causing problems with withdrawing that I'd prefer to not have to worry about.

Problem officer...?
    Why regrind $2NL?
    For the luhlz obv.
    3300 hands today -1 BI. Having a hard time laying down trips and Q-high flushes to passive villains who wake up on the river and min-raise me. But I'll learn eventually since I lost trip As to full houses 3 times today and got out flushed about 7 times. Still running like garbo since transferring to Stars but whatever.

BR: 70

@Cbat because I needed to pull out some money for life. No biggie.

Problem officer...?
    lol @ poker

It's like an unspoken rule apparently that I have to run awful once I move up stakes cause I never seen so many combinations of hands like j2o and 39o in my life. -3.5 BIs in 1400 hands. Standard.

Dear Poker,

Fuck you. I will make you my bitch over the next week inevitably but you really need to stop being such an asshole.

Love,
    Donnie

In other news. The band has a rough version of one of our songs up on a Myspace Music account now so that is cool I'll post a link once we have a bit more content.

Problem officer...?
    lol Sucks man, keep your chin up and grind it out. Shit will come your way just gotta put in the hands.
    Still getting WTFowned but what can you do. I am back to my initial deposit amount after getting up to 92 and falling to 59 already this week. SWONGY IMO.

My once pretty redline has just gone to shit but I'm not sure I can do much about that since I'm just missing every flop so badly. Probably making some bad laydowns too. Oh well. Here are a my two biggest winning hands and also my 3 biggest losers from today.

Hand 1. Finally nutted up and made a big call. Dude was like 25/18 or so.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP) ($11.63)
    CO ($6.86)
    Button ($7.20)
    SB ($11.35)
    BB ($7.70)
    UTG ($6.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q, Q
    1 fold, Hero bets $0.20, CO calls $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.80) 5, 6, 6 (4 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.65, 2 folds, BB calls $0.65

Turn: ($2.10) K (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets $1.25, BB raises to $6.85 (All-In), Hero calls $5.60

River: ($15.80) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $15.80 | Rake: $0.75
    Showed 87ss

Hand 2. Flop bet could probably be a bit bigger.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (UTG) ($5.75)
    MP ($7.33)
    CO ($7.52)
    Button ($11.60)
    SB ($7.94)
    BB ($5.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A, K
    Hero bets $0.20, MP calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, Button calls $0.20, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($1.20) A, 3, 8 (6 players)
    SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.85, 4 folds, BB raises to $5.60 (All-In), Hero calls $4.70 (All-In)

Turn: ($12.30) 9 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($12.30) 5 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $12.30 | Rake: $0.60
    Showed 23hh

Hand 3. Could be a fold Pre but I wasn't in the mood and had position on a super nitty guy who almost certainly has AA, KK, or AK here. Shove was just cause I figure'd he calls with all these hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($2)
    Button ($6.88)
    Hero (SB) ($6.68)
    BB ($3.29)
    UTG ($8.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J
    UTG bets $0.15, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.25, Hero calls $0.23, BB calls $0.20, UTG raises to $1.10, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.85, 1 fold

Flop: ($2.70) Q, 3, J (2 players)
    Hero bets $5.58 (All-In), UTG calls $5.58

Turn: ($13.86) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($13.86) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $13.86 | Rake: $0.65
    Showed AsAc

Hand 4. vill was 37/0 =\

Button ($6.32)
    Hero (SB) ($5.70)
    BB ($5.20)
    UTG ($5.12)
    MP ($5.01)
    CO ($10.05)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q
    1 fold, MP calls $0.05, 1 fold, Button calls $0.05, Hero bets $0.30, 1 fold, MP calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.95) 3, 4, 2 (3 players)
    Hero bets $0.65, MP raises to $4.71 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls $4.06

Turn: ($10.37) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($10.37) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $10.37 | Rake: $0.50
    Showed A5o naturally

Hand 5. Haha even when I suck out hard I still lose.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($3.52)
    UTG ($9.96)
    MP ($6.25)
    Hero (Button) ($5)
    SB ($20.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
    UTG calls $0.05, MP bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, 2 folds, UTG raises to $1.70, 1 fold, Hero raises to $5 (All-In), UTG calls $3.30

Flop: ($10.27) J, K, 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: ($10.27) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($10.27) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $10.27 | Rake: $0.50
    AA
    Last edited by Donachello; 04-12-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Problem officer...?
    I feel like the post I am about to write might be one of the most important things that I do for a while.

After my move from FullTilt to Stars I withdrew money as previously stated. As a result I have been playing lower limits than I was on Tilt and almost having to relearn to play. Things haven't gone well and I honestly had never been as frustrated with poker as I was last night. I considered quitting for good. I was simply just done, I completely forgot everything I knew and I was just tilted out of my mind.

This morning after having slept on the tilt I was thinking about a few things and I remember a post about poker Drift that I read a while back and has been linked on here before. This morning it hit me just how far I had drifted without noticing it. I initially drifted when I moved my roll since subconsciously I always had an aversion to PokerStars since the very first time I played on the site. This was due to the fact that I didn't understand the long-term concept of poker at the time. When I first played on Stars over a year ago I got sucked out on a few times and decided to only play on FTP because I happened to run better there the first time I played which in my non-poker educated mind was an indication that FTP > Stars.

Coming back to Stars I remember feeling slight trepidation despite knowing that their RNG probably isn't going to have any more weird hands than FTP's will. Despite this I think I came in as scared money. True to my subconscious expectations I didn't run so hot but I still managed to bang out a solid 7-8ptBB/100 winrate at 2NL. At this point I drifted farther. I said F**K it and jumped to 5NL, under rolled since I had beat it in the past. I won at first and then took a couple bad beats as is always the case in poker. The only problem this time, is not only was I having to play tighter than normal due to the players seemingly being much looser on PS than at 5NL on FTP but each BI I dropped due to a rivered flush hurt much more than it should have. I continued to drift at this point and began to play a timid style. "Sigh... Why do I always run into the top of their range?" I have to roll my eyes at this statement now just because of how ridiculous it is. The fact is. Yes I am running poorly, but I have also COMPLETELY forgotten the strength of putting people on ranges that allowed to me win in the past. My scared money become extra scared due to the fact that I simply wasn't showing down with the right hands often enough. I was back to the bluffer's fallacy of never giving anyone credit despite what all telltale signs might be pointing to. Additionally, once I had money in the pot, because my bankroll was once again so small I was so unwilling to give up that money and fought for pots I had no business playing in.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to remind myself, and others that regardless of what level you play at, and how badly you've crushed the game in the past, it is vitally important to check on yourself once in a while. Let me say that again. It is vitally important that you take the time to review your game. I stopped reviewing. I drifted. I almost quit. Lesson learned.

Problem officer...?
    I was back to the bluffer's fallacy of never giving anyone credit despite what all telltale signs might be pointing to.
    DING...QFT, this is how I get myself in trouble way too often and for far too long.
    Good post and good lessons learned!
    "You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience...
    The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX View Post
    Do you have testicles? If so, learn to bet like it
    Lol, it's going to take a while to get out of 2NL again at this rate. These 3 hands all happened in the space of 15 seconds on 3 different tables. fml

H1: 45/23 vill shows A2o

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) ($2.28)
    UTG ($4.77)
    MP ($0.58)
    Button ($1.77)
    SB ($1.89)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
    UTG bets $0.04, MP calls $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, UTG calls $0.16, MP calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.61) 2, 2, J (3 players)
    Hero bets $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, 1 fold

Turn: ($1.61) 4 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1.58 (All-In), UTG calls $1.58

River: ($4.77) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.77 | Rake: $0.20

H2: 65/3 vill shows T8o

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($0.93)
    BB ($3.32)
    UTG ($2.01)
    Hero (MP) ($2.02)
    Button ($1.11)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 2, 2
    UTG calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, Button bets $0.06, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.21) 2, 8, 10 (3 players)
    UTG checks, Hero checks, Button bets $0.08, UTG raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $1.96 (All-In), 1 fold, UTG calls $1.79 (All-In)

Turn: ($4.19) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($4.19) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $4.19 | Rake: $0.20

H3: 55/45/8 vill who I knew was bluffing here about 99% of the time. Call was absolutely justified given table dynamic. Shows 85o

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (3 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($6.41)
    Hero (SB) ($2)
    BB ($1.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6, A
    Button bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.32, 1 fold, Button calls $0.24

Flop: ($0.66) 3, 4, 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.45, Button raises to $3.06, Hero calls $1.23 (All-In)

Turn: ($4.02) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($4.02) 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.02 | Rake: $0.20

Problem officer...?

Brag: My redline is completely level finally.
    Beat: Still hovering around initial deposit at 2NL (lalalalalal)
    Variance: -8 buy ins over the last 2K.... std

Problem officer...?
    New avatar on PStars is needed. Two options I like are these

also this picture describes my encounter with variance today :>