Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default 2014 Gauntlet

I think it's time to start thinking about resurrecting this thing. It's been a little flat the last few years but I think with the way we play it in Stars home games on free tables the US gets to play and we can get some real volume of players. I want to put together a format that will get as many involved as possible and I am hoping to find a way to make it worthwhile to as many of FTR's regs as possible.

I want to hear what everyone thinks is something that will allow not only them but others to play as well. Maybe something like 20 games, split 50/50 US/Euro time, with enough overlap that you can have 12 best games count in your total. I'd like to hear about a few format ideas and anything else you think could help. If some regs have times they wont be available speak up. People that played in many Gauntlet games will get some preference for dates or time obviously. I do want to try and make it work for all.
    In, but no suggestions on ideas. I'm good for most times in all honesty.
    I'm in, bitches
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    I would probably be interested aswell. I love leagues
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    Maybe something like 20 games, split 50/50 US/Euro time, with enough overlap that you can have 12 best games count in your total.
    I like this.

I'll be in for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    jokers ready to go, got to defend my title from 2012, home games are good on pokerstars. any start times between 7pm to 10pm. perhaps 11pm. 20 games abit long 12 to 15. with best 10 or 12 results,
    I don't think 20 is too long considering you won't be able to play in some of the UK times I put some of the games.
    I don't care what time they run, I'll fit my sleeping pattern round gauntlet if I'm in the running.

Maybe another healthy mix of 6max, full ring and deepstack games? Maybe throw in a PLO or two?
    ongies gonna ong
    NL HU HU HU HU HU HU HU HU HU HU HU
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    just make it happen, i'm in
    Yeah. A hu tourney would be fun.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Things might be slowing down enough for me to play again. Evenings during the week work best for me.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.
    I'd be up for playing.

Mixture of 6max/Full Ring/HU and 100BB/Deepstack plus maybe the odd PLO/2-7/Stud sounds great.
    I'm in. Game & time don't matter (I'm up for anything).

HU Shootout tournament sounds good
    Id enjoy playing too
    and not just to beat PO
    Interested for evenings GMT excluding Saturday.

I thought the tournament structure worked well last time in the sense of starting stack and levels. Would definitely be good for a bit more variety though (and maybe a round of OFC?) and for those that can't make every week not being massively disadvantaged.
    i want to play!
    In. weekends good for me.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    lets get some home games running . warm up for the big games to come, anybody in admin working on the line up
    I'm working on a bunch of things. This won't get rushed. We want people to participate and not just jam it in some time to just do it. I am trying to find out about some rewards or giveaways too. All in due time. The holidays just ended for most of us, and if you are north of Florida or Texas you are in a deep freeze.
    In! I also like the idea of adding a few HU tourneys for variety. Deepstacked sounds fun, too.
    OK so in looking at the previous ffew Gauntlets, it seems like Sundays at 2:30 EST and Wed at 10pm EST were good times for getting larger 10+ fields. I will be setting up the games and structures as soon as I know the schedule. My plan is to spread this out. It costs nothing to have games, but if we rush the results we might alienate the people with busy schedules. Starting around Feb 1 or a little after.

I'm thinking 10 games on Sunday and 10 games on Wed. Maybe have the same structure for both Tournaments the same week. Your top 12 will count. If anyone has any issues speak now, Regular gauntlet participants have a say in scheduling and time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    OK so in looking at the previous ffew Gauntlets, it seems like Sundays at 2:30 EST and Wed at 10pm EST were good times for getting larger 10+ fields. I will be setting up the games and structures as soon as I know the schedule. My plan is to spread this out. It costs nothing to have games, but if we rush the results we might alienate the people with busy schedules. Starting around Feb 1 or a little after.

I'm thinking 10 games on Sunday and 10 games on Wed. Maybe have the same structure for both Tournaments the same week. Your top 12 will count. If anyone has any issues speak now, Regular gauntlet participants have a say in scheduling and time.
    I don't think any of the UK people could play in the Wed tournaments, I can't at least. The Sunday one could be off and on from me though that's just due to my schedule. Would be fine playing when I can.
    Have played 2 Gauntlet games in the past.

I would make myself available any day, any hour. Retirement has its privileges.
    Last edited by eberetta1; 01-14-2014 at 02:13 AM.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy View Post
    I don't think any of the UK people could play in the Wed tournaments, I can't at least. The Sunday one could be off and on from me though that's just due to my schedule. Would be fine playing when I can.
    Shows what you know about my sleeping pattern. 3am is great for me, I have a quiet house at that time of night and tend to play better. I don't start to get tired until gone 5am usually.

It's proper morning when I don't want to be playing, but that's deep in the night for yankies so that works nicely for me.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ya not sure hwy there was such a great turn out fot the Wed tournaments but UK time would suck. Earlier would suck here. The timing seems to be best on weekends but not sure if it's worth trying to run two different tourneys and times on a weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Shows what you know about my sleeping pattern. 3am is great for me, I have a quiet house at that time of night and tend to play better. I don't start to get tired until gone 5am usually.
    Mental.
    Ya not sure hwy there was such a great turn out fot the Wed tournaments but UK time would suck. Earlier would suck here. The timing seems to be best on weekends but not sure if it's worth trying to run two different tourneys and times on a weekend.
    Probably best to stick with the Wed/Sun split if we've had good numbers before, see what the intial turnout is like and change it if needed.
    it seems like Sundays at 2:30 EST and Wed at 10pm EST
    I suppose that's 2:30 PM? This schedule is not fair for europeans
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmotan View Post
    I suppose that's 2:30 PM? This schedule is not fair for europeans
    That's 7.30pm London, how is that awkward?
    ongies gonna ong
    If it is PM it's ok for EU, the other one is pretty much impossible to be played. 3am for UK and 5am for gmt+2, which is all of eastern europe. Americans can play both of them, this is what I meant to say
    Ok so here is what I am proposing. I am going to run 2 games a week either Wed or Friday and definitly Sunday all at 4 pm EST. That will be 9PM London time. I think making it fairer for the Euros is going to bode well for the tournament. I will try to find a fair way to set up points so that you will only need to play in say 10 games of the 12 weeks (10 out of 24 should be easy) so your top 10 finishes will count. I think a small bonus for playing in the games as well so playing in 20 games over 10 will benefit you some. If I find that the Wed or Friday schedule doesn't work for many then I will switch it to a more American friendly time zone or we can just switch half way through. So It should look like this

Wed 4:00 PM EST Wed 9:00 PM GMT Wed 1:00 PM PST
    Sun 4:00 PM EST Sun 9:00 PM GMT Sun 1:00 PM PST
    Wed 4:00 PM Wed 9:00 PM Wed 1:00 PM
    Sun 4:00 PM Sun 9:00 PM Sun 1:00 PM

Switch Wed or Friday maybe? And we can discuss the second half staying the same or become US friendly for 6 weeks

Every week will have the same structure, with all formats being used. Deep, HU, PLO and 6max/FR

I am also thinking Of starting March 2nd. I just need to find out how to set up a points system, and how to post it all to FTR. And lastly it will be open to all active members that I consider qualified and any FTR reg past or present. Looking to put some FTR gear into the prize pool too. This will all be on Pokerstars and I will find out about the home game links for the US players without Stars on their computer.

Any thoughts
    Last edited by jyms; 02-04-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Any update on this Jyms?
    Definitely interested in playing this seriesalbeit would be limited to the games which are UK time zone friendly.
    Scottish Cowboy
    I can only make the Sundays as scheduled. Some Saturday dates might be nice for all?
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice View Post
    I'm in. Game & time don't matter (I'm up for anything).

HU Shootout tournament sounds good
    Tues., Thurs. & Sat. are best for me.... but I will likely play any time/day.
    I will be interested in taking part in this, any update if this is still going to happen? It is past march 2nd which is the date I see mentioned above as possibly being the start date.
    This is going to happen, I ran into a large mess at home. I will put a schedule together to make froom for new sign ups and make sure everyone has a chance to make suggestions.

Right now I need to look into two things. How to do the FTR standings and how to schedule the games in Stars. It just took a little longer than I expected.
    how about starting up a seperate FTR Gauntlet 2014 home game invite applicants , and set up the tourneys in the schedule. Otherwise I'm assuming you'll have to get pascal to transfer manager duties to you which should then let you clear the standings on the current home game club.
    I'll be posting a schedule this weekend and we can discuss it before I make it complete and add it to the Stars home games.
    Looking forward to playing in these games.
    Scottish Cowboy
    I'm just waiting for Pascal to get back from his trip this week and he will add me to the group. Right now I can only add games and tournaments not put up a league or control points
    im in
    not exactly showing that you're the sharpest tool in the box are you?
    Last edited by Keith; 02-14-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    in
    What happened to Jyms and his ban hammer?