Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

flirting w/ the idea of joining a training site

Default flirting w/ the idea of joining a training site

I'm a novice NLHE full ring microstakes player who has been playing sporadically on & off over the past year and am pretty much just breaking even at 10NL. I've read (well skimmed) a couple of the classic poker books out there, I participate a little bit in the forums, and I'm planning to do more of both going forward ... BUT I'm also intrigued by the idea of learning via training videos too (in addition to reading). Like many people I'm sure, I think I learn things best when the info comes from a variety of sources in multiple formats -- that is, through a combination reading, interaction w/ other people, visual observation, writing ... blah blah blah.

Anyhow, I think I've narrowed down the options to Deuces Cracked, Card Runners, Blue Fire Poker, and Drag The Bar. (I suppose since GrinderSchool.com is associated w/ this site, I should include them too.)

My question is which one is best these days for a NLHE full ring micros player who is somewhat comfortable w/ the basics of the game, who wants to get better at and move beyond the micros ... and who's eager keep learning.

(Btw, I'm about to sign up for the free trials this week, and am aware of the different pricing plans, etc., but I figured I'd throw this out to you guys. Thanks!)
    feel like you're better just playing atm rather than spend monies on training sites. when you get up to SSNL it's a better idea but for now just pad the br and play. and if it's not coming out of the BR just spend the monies on something else. you're far better off just posting a lot now rather than watch a bunch of videos with concepts you don't understand which will result in you spewing all over the place.

?wut
    Spend the $35 for the GS 3-month subscription and download all the How to Master series, Poker 201 series and whatever else. Watch, take notes, profit. Once you move up to 100nl then you can move on to one of the larger sites where they focus on higher stakes. But seriously, stop mulling it over and just spend the $35.
    would actually advocate against training site until about 50nl i think

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    Even with someone who's struggling to beat 10nl? It's cheaper than hiring a coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGrinder View Post
    Spend the $35 for the GS 3-month subscription and download all the How to Master series, Poker 201 series and whatever else. Watch, take notes, profit.
    Can you get the "how to master" series if you just do the $10/month micro level subscription? Can't really tell if it's possible from GS site.

I take your point, though I have to say (regardless of the series StarGrinder suggested), the $10/mo price tag does make it seem awfully tempting. Still debating it though. Thanks!
    Don't think so. I believe you need the full subscription to view/download most of them.
    For me at my tiny stakes, $10 = 1 buy-in. If GS can't help my game enough to pay for one buy-in for 1 month of viewing videos, than I'm probably brain dead.

I'll think on it, but it sounds like it can't really hurt. We'll see. Thanks for the input!
    IF you decide that a training site is a good move for you based on how you like to learn, how much time you have to study it etc. THEN i'd recommend grinderschool because it is focussed largely on stakes 100nl and lower, making it probably tailored more to your current needs than some of the others.

notice the emphasis on "IF" and "THEN".
    feel like you're better just playing atm rather than spend monies on training sites. when you get up to SSNL it's a better idea but for now just pad the br and play. and if it's not coming out of the BR just spend the monies on something else. you're far better off just posting a lot now rather than watch a bunch of videos with concepts you don't understand which will result in you spewing all over the place.
    I understand you saying this, completely. Much like there's an argument that a HUD is unnecessary from 2-25nl. However, it largely depends on the person using the training site...If you're studious and rigorous in your approach to poker and not just thinking about the money, then a training site is no bad addition. Particularly if you have the money spare.

I'd go to GS, download M2M's (FR) videos, then cancel the subscription after a month fwiw.
    [20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb
    I just signed up for the microstakes subscription plan ($10 per month). It's a limited library and yes, I know, I can read all about every concept they explain here in the forums w/o spending a dime, etc., and yes they are very basic concepts ... but I have to say I'm getting a good deal out of them, even if it's just reinforcing what I'm also reading about. For now at least, it's been worth the small $ investment.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPoker View Post
    I'd go to GS, download M2M's (FR) videos, then cancel the subscription after a month fwiw.
    I can only see a part of the full library. Is M2M the name of the player making the videos? Can't find him in the list. Thanks for the input.
    "m2m" is short for "micro2macro". i think the smallest stakes he plays in a video is 25nl (and most of his videos are at 50nl), so you may have lucked out there.
    pretty much this. There's a lot of free info out there. Joining a training site is not automatically going to make you a better player, you still have to put in a ton of effort. Just apply the same amount of effort to forums (stickies, posting hands, commenting on other threads) and you'll improve enough to move up to at least 50NL
    I hear ya -- all of ya. I am/was just looking for a way to augment the way I'm learning about the game. I'm definitely not planning to stop reading and rely solely no training videos. Not by a long shot. Just figured I'd look into an inexpensive addition. Thanks for all the input tho.
    Great idea imo. GS a good choice for ya too!
    I'd willing to wager that OP gets more than his $10 worth out of it.

(likeness in avatar had nothing to do with this response)
    Last edited by Poker Orifice; 03-11-2011 at 02:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Orifice View Post
    (likeness in avatar had nothing to do with this response)
    Bet you can't possibly guess what my avatar is on Full Tilt? Woof.
    The GS microstakes subscription will definitely help you out if you are breaking even at 10NL. One of the major concepts I learned was actually thinking about hand ranges and having the confidence to put money into the pot. I no longer break even, and would say that GS is well worth it.
    Tilt is poker cancer. You catch it, you die.
    I have a subscription to GS. It's really done me some good at 10nl.

M2M has a series that starts at 10nl and works his way up the stakes, I think it starts about the 7th video.
    (Josh)
    are you on FTP?
    google truly free poker training. Basically you get free CR membership if you earn enough FTPs per month. No catch.
    5500 FTP's per month is "truly free"?
    Virginity is like a bubble: one prick and it's all gone
    Ignoranus (n): A person who is stupid AND an assh*le
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
    It costs 0 FTP points not sure what you are talking about.

It's as long as you EARN 5500 FTP's. You don't lose anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
    you just have to earn that many, you don't have to actually spend them. And you don't take a hit on your rakeback either.

so yes, it is truly free as long as you're playing decent volume and high enough

EDIT: looks like kmind beat me to it
    ah sorry, I misunderstood, thanks for straightening me up
    Virginity is like a bubble: one prick and it's all gone
    Ignoranus (n): A person who is stupid AND an assh*le