Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

SB / BB battle in a $3 tourney

Default SB / BB battle in a $3 tourney

How would you play this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.3 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t13968)
    BB (t5175)
    UTG (t10850)
    UTG+1 (t10850)
    MP1 (t9118)
    MP2 (t3143)
    MP3 (t7574)
    CO (t9233)
    Button (t13270)

Hero's M: 23.28

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, K
    7 folds, Hero bets t1000, BB calls t750

Flop: (t2225) Q, 5, 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets t1500, BB raises to t4150 (All-In), Hero??

Is my cbet a bad idea? BB is runnin 18/0 after 29 hands, fwiw.
    I don't understand why you bet the flop. Just check and see if you get good odds.
    looks good, now call, nh.

I don't understand why you bet the flop
    A) most flops miss most hands

B) we have plenty of hand to get it in - 8 outs for sure and it may be 14.

check calling here is very weak, check folding is really bad. check raising is no good because the stacks aren't deep enough.

We have a choice between having 2 ways to win or 1, choose 2.
    Why we are building a big pot where we get 50% at best? Why is check-call so bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremophile
    Why we are building a big pot where we get 50% at best? Why is check-call so bad?
    Check/calling is bad because it only gives you one way to win the pot (improving your hand) and you likely won't be getting the correct odds to call anyway. Bet/calling on the other hand gives you two ways to win (they fold, or you improve to the best hand).

Simply put you will win the pot a higher percentage of the time taking the bet/call line over time, making it the more profitable and correct play in this situation.
    OK, I am wrong about getting good odds to call because I am not folding to a shove. If it was a 2 on the flop instead of a T, I c-bet but, our hand has a good chance to improve. I hesitate to c-bet this kind of flops and I guess this is one of the numerous leaks I had.
    betting also prevents you from being bluffed out by something like J9 or just air and gives you a chance to move him off A5, T7 etc on the turn.

Assuming your opponents will always have a hand is a poor mind set in any poker game but it's deadly in NLHE. You are never going to hit enough flops thinking that way.

Put him on a range to call pre flop, then figure out how much of that range he'll fold right away, then look at your equity vs the rest when you get it in.

I would (re) read HOH 1/2 because you seem to be missing some fundamentals. Without a really specific read that tbh I can't think of right now this is a very clear c bet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    Without a really specific read that villain is Beth Shak prancing around the table high-fiving people and chanting "I got it" this is a very clear c bet spot.
    hahaha beth shak

extreme did not mean to pile on, you posted while I was typing that last reply
    thanks for the comments dr.!

Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    I would (re) read HOH 1/2 because you seem to be missing some fundamentals. Without a really specific read that tbh I can't think of right now this is a very clear c bet spot.
    I read Volume II but, not Volume I, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    drmcboy wrote:
    Without a really specific read that villain is Beth Shak prancing around the table high-fiving people and chanting "I got it" this is a very clear c bet spot.
    LOL
    definetly bet/call on the flop when stacks are 20bbs effective. oesd+overcard? gogogo
    lol this is like a dead even call. Bet pot next time so if villain shoves your making a +cEV call .
    its way better than breakeven. getting 2.9/1 odds, need 25%. pretty much always going to have 8 outs or more, which means you'll at least be in the 30% range
    Yeah my bad, I missed a number in there. Fjuanl has the goods
    Thanks, I thought my play was correct. The flop bet was of course to take the pot down right there, and of course I called after villains shove.