Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 71 of 420 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,325 of 31490
    damnit. well that sucks.

The good news is I ate more lettuce than I did anything else, so at least I'm not hogging down on the beans, meat, and cheese.

What about those no yoke noodles with a cube of that chicken seasoning in it. I had that last night.

Basically I'm trying to watch what I put into my system, because of my meds and my eating habits I've gained about 30 lbs. I'm so used to not having to watch what I eat, because of my metabolism being so great, I ate myself into having a size 10 ass instead of a size 0. I know I wasn't healthy when I was a size 0, because I was too small, but now I feel like a whale, and I'm trying to get back down to at least 110. I've cut out all the soda in my life, and I'm drinking stuff that doesn't have a shit load of calories. I was gaining 3 lbs monthly in just my beloved Pepsi.

Anyway, I've been walking more than I had been before, which helps. I need to get my bike back working so I can ride up and down the road on it. I've been really down on myself because of the weight I've gained, because I'm so used to being a twig that now that I have a belly, it totally grosses me out, and so I'm trying to not beat myself over stuff, and trying to get back in shape.

However! The good thing that came along with gaining a little weight is my C cups, and well obviously Spoon isn't complaining about that, haha!

Wow this is a big post. Sorry about that!
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    What about those no yoke noodles with a cube of that chicken seasoning in it. I had that last night.
    The cubes of seasoning are usually all salt but not a big deal if your salt intake was minimal the rest of the day. Nothing wrong with noodles but it kinda depends what else you had earlier and how many noodles you ate. Eating healthy is about balance and carbs can be part of that balance. But say you had 2 white toast for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch and 2 cups of no-yolk cooked noodles for dinner with no snacks. On the surface, that sounds like a reasonable amount of food and someone counting calories might think she did well. Really though, you'd just have a big lump of pasty white flour in your gut and you'd have a hard time digesting it. Your blood sugar would be all over the place during the day and you'd generally feel like shit most of the time. The other thing with a really carb heavy diet is you burn them so quickly, you'd be really prone to wanting to snack throughout the day and it's easy to fail large when chasing snacks.

So, yeah, balance. Combine that with your awesome walking and soda-avoidance and you're golden. Try to pick good, fresh foods and make sure you're getting sufficient protein, fibre and fruits/vegetables. Canned and pre-packaged foods are just generally bad choices but if you have to because of time or not feeling well or whatever, just make sure you read labels and avoid ridiculous amounts of sugar, salt and saturated & trans fats. Contrary to what a lot of people think, fat is actually a good and necessary part of a balanced diet (rabbit poisoning, ftw), you just want to make sure it's unsaturated fat and eaten in a reasonable amount. Don't just balance what you eat but also when you eat as well. Ppl who eat only one huge meal a day are just asking to be fat.

There's tons of resources online to help you eat better but I wonder if your doctor for your DID can refer you to a nutritionist. That stuff is free in Canada so not sure if that's super expensive in the States or not.
    When in doubt: vegetables, vegetables, vegetables.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Looking around the net on healthy eating tips, it says "avoid fried veggies". What's the difference in healthiness between fried veggies and boiling them in a pot or roasting them or whatever the alternative may be? Does the tablespoon of olive oil in which they're fried just fuck everything up, or are they assuming I'm gonna be frying them in butter or what's the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    Looking around the net on healthy eating tips, it says "avoid fried veggies". What's the difference in healthiness between fried veggies and boiling them in a pot or roasting them or whatever the alternative may be? Does the tablespoon of olive oil in which they're fried just fuck everything up, or are they assuming I'm gonna be frying them in butter or what's the deal?
    My guess is a combo of the oils used in frying them and "possibly cooking off vitamins and nutrients". Quoted portion could be made up
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Usually when I eat veggies they're from a can. Which I know is bad.

However, when I eat broccoli it's fresh, but I put it in the microwave or steam it on the stizzove.

Also - wtf would a mushroom even be. Fungus. mmmm sounds healthy.
    Last edited by Chelle; 09-13-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    i ate this, is that wrong?

m
    Last edited by flomo; 09-13-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    I've never heard of black beans.
    you are a good white girl
    Is it possible that the fried is referring to deep fried? Sauteing or stir frying vegetables in a small amount of oil is relatively healthy and most vitamins are retained if you don't cook for an extended time...it's certainly no worse than roasting, could even be better than if you roast to mush, and is far better than boiling vegetables for nutrient retention.

Cooking vegetables, tomatoes and spinach are a couple that come to mind, sometimes acts as a way of processing minerals into a form more easily absorbed into the body. So, it's not always true that raw is a better way to eat veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by flomo View Post
    i ate this, is that wrong?
    It's wrong that you didn't share, fucker.
    so it's a healthy diet that sharpens benny and bigred's wit, eh?
    so it's a healthy diet that sharpens benny and bigred's wit, eh?
    Nah, dude, it's from us seeing your Mom naked. *bigred high five*

My healthy diet just keeps me regular. And honestly, I don't stick to a strict healthy regimen or anything...I like good food way too much for that...I just know how to balance it all out so I can stay slim like jim.
    Beware of buzzwords or buzz-ideas that have roots anywhere in popular sources with regards to health and diet. There are about as many myths in this topic as with religion.

On the topic of cooking and nutrition, sometimes it kills some nutrients in some food, but it's often necessary to 'activate' nutrition as well.

Michelle, generally, focus on eating denser foods. What this means is more vegetables and meat, and fewer carbs, sugars, and oftentimes dairy. Humans have not evolved as well to foods like grains and dairy as we have to meat and vegetables, and the health shows. On top of that, the nature of nutrient density and fiber differences between different types of foods mean that you can eat 'fewer' meats and vegetables yet get a higher level of nutrition and satisfaction than otherwise

Also, if you're not exercising, you're kidding yourself. And not just some exercise, but well-meaning stuff that gets you tired. The vast majority of adults can't achieve close to the kind of physiques they want without getting that ass in the gym and working it. When you see people who can get away without hard exercise it's either the very rare ones with super high metabolisms or the other rare ones who simply never eat that much at all.
    Thanks for all the helping guys <3
    while you're there guys, what's the science on vitamin supplements like berocca, not as a replacement for real food but before a night out or when you're feeling a bit weak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash256 View Post
    while you're there guys, what's the science on vitamin supplements like berocca, not as a replacement for real food but before a night out or when you're feeling a bit weak?

aren't those the times that you just do a little bump or two?
    Give it a try. If you're better off with it, keep it; if not, don't keep it

The science is

1. Food nutrition is better than supplement nutrition. When you eat food you know you're getting the good plus more, when you supplement you have no clue if it's not snake oil, you're not getting any unknown extras that we're continually finding in food, and there's research that some standard supplements may actually deter health

2. Placebo effect is still effect. Everybody gets it, if you think you don't you're wrong and you don't understand what placebo is. You almost want to not know anything about placebo because then you can more easily buy into the hype of some new supplement that's actually benign yet you get something out of it because of how your mind thinks.

3. Some supplementation is good because it's virtually impossible to eat all the kinds of foods we need for optimal performance. This kind of thing can be found in fish oils for the DHA and EPA that are super good yet you don't get unless you eat a lot of salmon, high concentration of vitamin D that is super good yet don't get enough unless you get ~20 min of noonday sun or drink like five cups of milk, or a fiber supp like psyllium husk that is important if you don't eat a whole bunch of roughage with every meal. Even something like a whey shake each morning because most of us don't get enough protein

4. Supplements are not drugs, and they're not food, yet they're marketed as both. They are an add-on that can be used to help a poor diet or a relatively strong diet that is still naturally deficient in some areas (like if you live in Japan you probably won't need to supplement fish oils but if you live in Colorado you probably will)

5. Supplementation is something for regularity. Drugs are what helps when you go above and beyond what your body can take. Like a caffeine/ephedrine stack will help ward off a night of drinking much better than something like berocca. Also, if you want to beat a night of drinking preemptively, you have to either 1) not drink too much, or 2) do things like drink excess fluids before and during, or make sure you're getting enough protein. Personally, I'll drink a few glasses of milk before a night of drinking and end up much better off

An important point to take away is that supplementation should be treated as supplementation of known issues. Research is always developing about all this important stuff that isn't reflected in supplementation, yet is if you simply just ate right. A great example is the research on vitamin D over the last few years. We had no clue that virtually everybody is heavily deficient on vit D, and no supplements accounted for that until recently. The reason for the deficiency is lack of sun, yet we only just figured out that the amount of vit D we get from good sun exposure is far beyond what we naturally get in other ways, and is very important for things like cancer prevention
    I'll just leave this here:

Most fucked up joke you know? : AskReddit
    thanks wuf, really appreciate it

it's interesting to read what you say about protein, i've found that since i did dumbells, i feel like i need a fuckload of protein, even if i'm too lazy to lift these days - i tend to have tuna & roughage for lunch just out of sheer craving

so many people i know are able to eat an unbalanced diet, but nowadays i feel really wrong if i fail to eat at least 3 fruit & veg and/or no meat/fish

I get the impression that you feel that in a meal of meat, potatoes and vegetables, potatoes are the least important part?
    I get the impression that you feel that in a meal of meat, potatoes and vegetables, potatoes are the least important part?
    I'd rather classify potatoes as vegetables. Our meal choices often give them a much larger portion than they should, but potatoes are great as long as you're getting other stuff as well

Think of this: brand new research is showing that people who consume more tomato paste or sauce (like in spaghetti or pizza) have a lower incidence of cancer. We didn't know about this until recently, and there is reason to believe that this kind of value exists in a bunch of different foods. It's best to hedge your bets by consuming a variety of food
    I'm buying a Vitamix and I'm so excited about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Beware of buzzwords or buzz-ideas that have roots anywhere in popular sources with regards to health and diet. There are about as many myths in this topic as with religion.

On the topic of cooking and nutrition, sometimes it kills some nutrients in some food, but it's often necessary to 'activate' nutrition as well.

Michelle, generally, focus on eating denser foods. What this means is more vegetables and meat, and fewer carbs, sugars, and oftentimes dairy. Humans have not evolved as well to foods like grains and dairy as we have to meat and vegetables, and the health shows. On top of that, the nature of nutrient density and fiber differences between different types of foods mean that you can eat 'fewer' meats and vegetables yet get a higher level of nutrition and satisfaction than otherwise

Also, if you're not exercising, you're kidding yourself. And not just some exercise, but well-meaning stuff that gets you tired. The vast majority of adults can't achieve close to the kind of physiques they want without getting that ass in the gym and working it. When you see people who can get away without hard exercise it's either the very rare ones with super high metabolisms or the other rare ones who simply never eat that much at all.
    I disagree with some of this. Humans have not evolved well to meat eating. I recall reading that our carnivore friends (wolves, lions, etc) have 10-20 times the acidity (needed for meat digestion) in their digestion systems. We're not meant to be the super meat eaters we think we are which is why we have such bad health problems (obviously also caused by fatty food, drinking, smoking, etc but meat is still a big influence). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a vegetarian in any way but I will never advise someone who wants to eat healthier to eat more meat. Maybe I'll advise them to eat leaner meat (turkey, beef, fish, etc) but not substitute out carbs for meat. That's dangerously close to the Atkins diet which is nothing more than a cheap trick on the body and incredibly unhealthy.

As for grains, I'd argue it has less to do with that we're not able to digest it well so much as the actual grains we eat and the process we use to harvest and make these grains. The reason people tell you to eat multi grain or whole wheat bread is because it still has a large amount of vitamins and nutrients. When "bad carbs" are made (white bread, etc, etc) all these nutrients are stripped during the process and you're essentially eating dead calories. The same goes for brown rice versus white rice. White rice is mainly dead calories.

My best health advice is vegetables, vegetables, and more vegetables. Start trying things like eggplant, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, peppers, and others. They're fantastic for you. Throw in brown rice or whole wheat grains. Eat meat but stick to turkey and fish and have red meat occasionally. Occasionally means once or twice a month...not a week. Oh, and stop drinking (I'll never do this) or switch to mainly red wine. Beer is terrible for you. Hard alcohol is worse.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    I disagree with some of this. Humans have not evolved well to meat eating. I recall reading that our carnivore friends (wolves, lions, etc) have 10-20 times the acidity (needed for meat digestion) in their digestion systems. We're not meant to be the super meat eaters we think we are which is why we have such bad health problems (obviously also caused by fatty food, drinking, smoking, etc but meat is still a big influence). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a vegetarian in any way but I will never advise someone who wants to eat healthier to eat more meat. Maybe I'll advise them to eat leaner meat (turkey, beef, fish, etc) but not substitute out carbs for meat. That's dangerously close to the Atkins diet which is nothing more than a cheap trick on the body and incredibly unhealthy.

As for grains, I'd argue it has less to do with that we're not able to digest it well so much as the actual grains we eat and the process we use to harvest and make these grains. The reason people tell you to eat multi grain or whole wheat bread is because it still has a large amount of vitamins and nutrients. When "bad carbs" are made (white bread, etc, etc) all these nutrients are stripped during the process and you're essentially eating dead calories. The same goes for brown rice versus white rice. White rice is mainly dead calories.

My best health advice is vegetables, vegetables, and more vegetables. Start trying things like eggplant, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, peppers, and others. They're fantastic for you. Throw in brown rice or whole wheat grains. Eat meat but stick to turkey and fish and have red meat occasionally. Occasionally means once or twice a month...not a week. Oh, and stop drinking (I'll never do this) or switch to mainly red wine. Beer is terrible for you. Hard alcohol is worse.
    We have strong evolutionary adaptation to meat, despite the fact that it may not be to as great a degree as some carnivores. Our ancestors' consumption of meat was absolutely necessary for the survival of the species. Nature creates literally nothing nearly as potent as animal flesh, and our primate ancestry that clued into that ended up stronger, faster, more capable, and had much more time on their hands to progress in other areas. Herbivores have such trouble with nutrient density that they eat virtually nonstop. Without meat, we wouldn't be here today.

Grains, particularly heavy agricultural production of grains, is viewed as a sort of evolutionary problem in human history. It was a boon because it drastically improved ecological carrying capacity while drastically reducing energy output, but in turn, many biologists believe that humans had problems adapting to mass grain consumption, and that most of us never really adapted but simply deal with the problems (think: things like allergies). Similar can be said for dairy.

Meat, vegetables, and fruit is the diet of all of our ancestry. Only about 10k years ago did we start picking up grain and dairy, and we did it in a ginormous way. The story of human diet can be broken down into such: we're meant for meat, vegetables, and fruit, but we're still capable of getting on with grains and dairy. The only reason we're even capable of grain consumption is mass control, production, and processing. The difference between white bread and whole grain bread isn't nearly what popular culture believes, and most of it is just lies anyways. Our history is mainly vegetables and fruit, then as we became better at adding meat we became much more fit, and that combination provided us with the capacity to get to the point that we could discover farming and fuck things up by introducing grain and dairy

But this doesn't mean that people don't eat too much meat, or too little. Lots of Americans consume too much meat, and some hippies consume too little. The thing is that these diets perpetuate because they're not so bad that they significantly reduce survival. But if you take a hippie vegetarian and put him in human life 30k years ago, he will get his ass handed to him virtually every which way possible. He'll find he spends too much time searching for food, that he has nutritional deficiencies, that he has reduced energy, etc, but in modern society people can get away with inferior diets.

Some of the opinion you've expressed is a product of popular culture, not scientific literature. A lot of that stuff has an aura of being half right and missing the point. For example, Atkins is problematic, but not for the reasons expressed in popular media. The focus on dense protein and low carbs is a great thing about Atkins, but leave it up to retards to not do it right and fuck everything up then point the blame in the wrong place. There's a big fat difference between a terrible high protein low carb diet and a smart high protein low carb diet. Atkins dieters notoriously preferred the former but then blamed the latter
    Wuf is pretty much spot on. Don't underestimate the differences in the meat we are eating now from what we ate in the long past as well when it comes to the problems we are having, health wise. Also, the fat found in natural proteins has never been cause for concern. Your body is built on saturated fat and cholesterol. It knows how to deal with it. It can't deal with it in the same capacity while it's trying to convert and burn the insane amounts of Carbohydrate we now ingest on a daily basis.
    Comparing vegetarians of the past (I think you said 10K years ago) to meat eaters of the past and how eating affected survival is pretty irrelevant to the argument I'm making about eating healthy. It does make cases for the evolution of what we can eat, etc but we're losing sight of the ultimate goal which is eating healthy. I'm not disagreeing that meat eaters were better survivors long ago. However, I wouldn't completely agree that it's a nutrient issue so much as it's an access issue. To get your entire nutrient fill from vegetables, you do need a diverse and broad collection that wouldn't be available to an ancient gatherer. Your arguments are more valid in a world where you can only survive on your surroundings. I live in NYC and have access to thousands of different vegetables.

Also, while you guys are continuing to bash carbs, you're still lumping good and bad carbs into the same category. What Jyms is arguing above is our body trying to deal with dead calorie, low nutrient processed carbs. I'm still arguing that whole wheat, brown rice, etc are great for your nutrition.

To make another point, let's look at different societies of the past, their food consumption, and their general healthiness. While your hunters and meat eaters were superior survivors in the sense of energy intake, this isn't what I would consider healthy. They probably still had a very low life expectancy (I realize this is from many other factors too). If you look at Asian cultures, very low meat intake, it's not uncommon to hear about people living very long lives thousands of years ago. They did have meat a few times a month...maybe. The soldiers ate meat because they needed it to grow strong quickly but that's not what I would consider healthy. We don't need to fight wars. Most of us have a 9-5 job with little to no physical activity. High protein diets don't make sense even in the case of going to the gym and lifting every day since you're only doing it for a few hours.

I'm only arguing these points because I've started to doubt my views on nutrition (very similar to what you posted above) and would like to see where this conversation goes playing devil's advocate.

Also, as for Atkins, my basic understanding is that you're shocking the body and mostly losing water weight. I can't remember exactly how the process goes but it has something to do with a lack of carbs that cause your body to begin to dump excess fluid. It's a temporary fix to a long term problem (eating healthy).
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Also, I quit caffeine this week. So far it's been good. I drink water instead and feel much better. Even on Thursday when I was beyond hungover and had no sleep, I did not miss caffeine at all.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Also, I quit caffeine this week. So far it's been good. I drink water instead and feel much better. Even on Thursday when I was beyond hungover and had no sleep, I did not miss caffeine at all.
    You just weren't a very good addict then.

Quitter.
    Yeah, I only drank like 2 cups (iced coffee a day) and usually none on the weekends besides an occasional rum and coke. It was pretty easy.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Yeah, I only drank like 2 cups (iced coffee a day) and usually none on the weekends besides an occasional rum and coke. It was pretty easy.
    Well, then I just gave up smoking.
    Nobody likes a quitter.

As for atkins, it actually worked as a diet to lose more than just the water weight. The loss of water weight was something that helped the diet work by providing a large motivation to stay on it. People had seen fast result early, and also saw large rebounds if they stopped. A big myth of atkins was that you would gain all the weight back very fast if you stopped but that was only the initial weight drop of water. Most of anything you lost was permanent weight loss after that first week. The diet mainly served as a low calorie diet since appetite suppression is huge on low carb diets, coupled with the lack of food options, people ate less, and a lot less of the foods that caused their weight gain or cravings. The other thing was the use of the ketostix. Having the ability to actually see evidence that you were burning fat was a great motivator as well to stay on the diet.

I hate to use the Atkins model as a guide for eating a more carb free diet though, and I think there are better choices out there albeit, it's better than some of the more mainstream ideas.
    I'm only arguing these points because I've started to doubt my views on nutrition (very similar to what you posted above) and would like to see where this conversation goes playing devil's advocate.
    I was just trying to give Chelle some practical advice, didn't mean for this to turn into a wugwugypowwow, but what he and Jyms are alluding to wrt grains is a few problems. I was getting at the effect of this stuff in in my post to Chelle about feeling like crap after eaten scads of carbs. The first problem is what carbs, so-called "good" or bad ones, do to your insulin levels. Insulin triggers your body to store food energy as either fat or to go into your glycogen stores, readily available for your organs and muscles to function. If you've been active, ie. depleted your glycogen stores, the energy is used up pretty rapidly, not that big a deal. But who among us is that active, really, to require the large amount of carbs that ppl generally eat? You're sitting around, don't require all the glycogen, your insulin spikes and the remaining food energy is then stored as fat.

Second is gluten. Your body's natural immune response to gluten is to interpret it as a foreign body. It tries to fight it as it would a bacteria or virus. Now imagine the compounding effects...your food energy was simple carbs rather than complex proteins or denser foods and so was processed rather quickly, filling your glycogen stores, and your body has starting to store the remainder as fat. It takes many hours now to digest the rest, which your body sees as something it needs to attack. The attack requires energy and your glycogen stores get depleted, causing you to feel sluggish, like you need to EAT SOMETHING. And what do you eat? Probably more carbs and the cycle starts again.

Lastly, theres something fround in grains (and legumes and nuts for that matter, so the few proteins vegetarians have at their disposal compound the issue) called phytates. They end up binding with minerals in your food, stuff you need like iron and calcium, making them difficult to be absorbed within your body. This is why enriched bread or rice is a joke, because the very nature of the flour used in the food makes the addition of minerals an entire waste of effort.

When it comes to evolution, we've only been eating grains for a very small blip on the evolutionary scale, as I think wugwugy mentioned. We haven't evolved to have the proper insulin response to carbs or the desired response to gluten and the other crap found in all grains.

Look for info on Paleolithic diet on Wiki or whatever for more info.
    Thanks, Benny. This makes a lot more sense to me.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    great posts wuf and jyms... quoting this for emphasis:

Meat, vegetables, and fruit
    i'll add eggs (preferably organic), cooked in coconut oil. fish too.
    Last edited by Lukie; 09-17-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    and nuts, and a bunch of other things.

speaking of nuts (not those nuts), i've noticed that i like walnuts, almonds, pistachios, macadamias, pretty much everything, but not peanuts so much.

yet natural peanut butter tastes so delicious. what gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    speaking of nuts (not those nuts), i've noticed that i like walnuts, almonds, pistachios, macadamias, pretty much everything, but not peanuts so much.
    I'm exactly the opposite. I love peanuts, but don't generally care for other nuts. A small amount of pistachios and cashews are OK, but thats about it for me.
    I pretty much count eggs as meat and eat them at any meal. The whole paleo diet is definitely what I prefer as a regular regimine, I just don't like the gimmicky-ness of the way it's been spun as a diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee View Post

*sigh*.. I'm jealous.. and I bit resentful because I know you wont use it to its fullest capabilities, but instead just to make puree based soups and smoothies. I'm lusting after the vita-prep 3, but just don't have 4-500$ to invest in one right now
    Comparing vegetarians of the past (I think you said 10K years ago) to meat eaters of the past and how eating affected survival is pretty irrelevant to the argument I'm making about eating healthy. It does make cases for the evolution of what we can eat, etc but we're losing sight of the ultimate goal which is eating healthy. I'm not disagreeing that meat eaters were better survivors long ago.
    The distinction you've made is an important one, but I was referencing history to help provide perspective on why certain foods are healthier than others.

However, I wouldn't completely agree that it's a nutrient issue so much as it's an access issue.
    Well, you're sorta right. It is a nutrient issue, but also an access issue. The main access factor has more to do with density of nutrients and energy expenditure. We got more time on our hands when we started hunting for more meat, and then we got an astronomically higher amount of time on our hands when we began cultivating grains. The nutrition from the meat was both an increase in nutrition and access, while the nutrition from the grains was more a decrease in nutrition but an overwhelming increase in access. Ecological carrying capacity is improved by both, yet overall health is decreased by the latter.

To get your entire nutrient fill from vegetables, you do need a diverse and broad collection that wouldn't be available to an ancient gatherer. Your arguments are more valid in a world where you can only survive on your surroundings. I live in NYC and have access to thousands of different vegetables.
    This isn't true. Vegetables provide crap for protein and no essential fats. Vegetables provide most vitamin and mineral needs, but not all

Here's an example that also exemplifies why I was going over evolution: Fish oils, EPA and DHA, are found nowhere else other than a couple different fish like salmon, and they are essential to human health. Can you get by without them? Yes. But can you achieve optimal health without them? Absolutely not. Our ancestry evolved on those fish, we evolved to work best on those particular fats, and as is with many things, they're not found elsewhere. This also applies to a host of different nutrients. We're pretty much always deficient in a bunch of different stuff. Like, the reason Europeans evolved white skin was because they needed the vitamin D from the sun that rarely shined because they couldn't get it elsewhere. I don't know exactly, but if you want to eat 'naturally', in order to get enough vitamin D from vegetables you'd have to consume something stupid like twenty pounds of green leaves daily. Other nutrients like vitamin b12 just cannot be absorbed through plants.

Also, while you guys are continuing to bash carbs, you're still lumping good and bad carbs into the same category. What Jyms is arguing above is our body trying to deal with dead calorie, low nutrient processed carbs. I'm still arguing that whole wheat, brown rice, etc are great for your nutrition.
    The good vs bad carb thing is a myth. The reason that some carb sources are healthier than others has to do with packaging, structure, and other nutrients, not that some are worse than others. First off, they're all non-essential, not all of them are usable for energy, and the distinction between simple and complex carb hasn't shown any difference in health effects. People confuse this because they see that people who consume more simple carbs are less healthy than those who consume complex carbs, and it's true. But the reason isn't because of the carbs, but because of what else is going on. If you eat rice you're getting good fiber and some nutrition, if you drink soda you get shit. People have confused themselves by claiming an important difference between rice and soda is carb, but it's not, it's the fiber and nutrition of one and lack in other that's important.

Also, a lot of the 'health' from whole grains or brown rice or whatever is just lies. A lot of enrichment simply doesn't work (like vit b12 enrichment cannot be absorbed), or things like coloring grains or sugars so they can sell them as 'healthier'.

To make another point, let's look at different societies of the past, their food consumption, and their general healthiness. While your hunters and meat eaters were superior survivors in the sense of energy intake, this isn't what I would consider healthy. They probably still had a very low life expectancy (I realize this is from many other factors too).
    The best of our science today has the healthiest known diets being extremely similar to that of our ancestry. With a few tweaks.

Life expectancy changes in history has little to do with diet, and more to do with sanitation and medicine and peacetime.

If you look at Asian cultures, very low meat intake, it's not uncommon to hear about people living very long lives thousands of years ago.
    Most of this is myth, but some asian cultures (primarily Japanese) do have a wee bit higher life expectancy than average. We don't know exactly why, but very important reasons have to do with lack of pollution, higher fish consumption, and lower calorie consumption. Add in maybe something like lower body weight and a fraction of unknowns that provide a fraction of results, and you've got the solution. But no, if you ever hear about miraculous feats or results from thousands of years ago, it didn't happen. These kinds of myths are abundant everywhere.

They did have meat a few times a month...maybe. The soldiers ate meat because they needed it to grow strong quickly but that's not what I would consider healthy. We don't need to fight wars. Most of us have a 9-5 job with little to no physical activity. High protein diets don't make sense even in the case of going to the gym and lifting every day since you're only doing it for a few hours.
    Well, too high of protein doesn't make sense, but adequate protein does. If you don't eat meat or low fat dairy, you're not getting nearly optimal protein unless you want to get fat and tired by eating a loads and loads of high carb sources. Protein has been stereotyped as the 'bodybuilding' food, but that's retarded. Protein is one of the most essential nutrients, it's important for so much, and most people consume notoriously low levels or percentages. If you eat the standard American diet or the 'healthy' hippie diet, you're getting way too low protein if you're lean, but maybe getting closer to enough if you're a fatass, but then again you're a fatass.

That's good. Take my word for it, there's about as much myth in the diet world as in religion. Most of the industry runs on lies in order to make money. Not all, but most. The lies run really deep too

Here's an example: organic food? What, as opposed to inorganic food? Did nobody take a chemistry class, or perhaps know what the word 'redundancy' means? Food = organic. Not the stuff you buy at the hippie market. That stuff is just as organic as any other food, it's just more expensive because people think they're paying for better, sometimes they actually are paying for higher quality but still not 'higher organic-ness', there's usually more exotic stuff, more regional stuff (which is actually good), and people love tricking themselves into misplacing value. And they use 'organic pesticides'. More like they use pesticides, but sell their product by claiming it's better and people buy the hype.

If I want to eat organic I'll eat food, if I want to eat inorganic I'll eat a bucket of sand

Also, as for Atkins, my basic understanding is that you're shocking the body and mostly losing water weight. I can't remember exactly how the process goes but it has something to do with a lack of carbs that cause your body to begin to dump excess fluid. It's a temporary fix to a long term problem (eating healthy).
    The diet works because of calorie reduction. When you don't eat carbs, you end up eating less but getting more. The reason the diet is highly problematic is because Americans are dumbfucks who think "durrrrr i can eat all da meat and fat i want." Then their fatasses pile it on, they remain oblivious to the fact that low carb != low vegetable/low fiber, and they end up pushing forward in their unhealthy choices.

But yeah, the diet works with losing weight pretty much because when people eat low carb high protein, they end up inadvertently consuming less. I don't know too much about ketosis for weight loss and that stuff, but I do know it's a rather small factor in the overall picture of calorie consumption

i lold at wufwugypowwow
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    ^^^ I was gonna mention that if you didn't, but I figured you'd get around to it

Extremely excellent interview. What Clinton says is hard to falsify, is more aligned with the Obama Admin than with the liberal sphere, and I really like seeing this type of thing because frankly I've found the liberal sphere sometimes goes too far and gets stuff a sort of half-wrong.

An example is the health care thing. In the liberal media sphere it was all about public option, public option, public option....but reality is that a public option is truly unnecessary theoretically and demonstrably. However, a problem is that all the ways in which Obama's bill does or could dramatically improve the system are very rarely ever expressed. In fact, Clinton said two different things about the health care bill that I've never heard before (despite the fact that I'm a politics whore), but have suspected the bill included things like that.

I really want to see Clinton's explanation as to what he did wrong or simply didnt do right with regards to signing the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which was basically the first big step in allowing the banks to commit the legal fraud that caused the crash and recession. In the liberal sphere, Clinton was a bad guy for signing the act, but I've long suspected that the problem could have more to do with not keeping up to date with regulations and agencies, but finding explanations of that is very hard. But it's simple things like creating 'financial insurance' known as credit default swaps that, due to technicality, do not fall under 'insurance' regulation, and thus the entire banking monster crisis is formed using 'legal' fraud. One reason I really want to see Elizabeth Warren in as head of CFPB because I think her forming and heading the agency would pretty much ward off any colossal financial abuse for many decades to come. But watch as Obama backs on that one too. And fuck Chris Dodd and every other whore who's coming out hard against her
    i lold at wufwugypowwow
    In retrospect, I should have gone with "wigwigypowwow".
    I really want to see Elizabeth Warren in as head of CFPB
    Warren didn't get the job.

Harvard professor picked to build consumer bureau (9/17/10) -- GovExec.com

edit wait, I dunno why I thought I read that she didnt. Apparently, she did.

edit edit oh yes, here it is >He promised that she will play a pivotal role in picking the bureau's director.

It's been a long day.
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 09-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Warren didn't get the job.

Harvard professor picked to build consumer bureau (9/17/10) -- GovExec.com

edit wait, I dunno why I thought I read that she didnt. Apparently, she did.

edit edit oh yes, here it is >He promised that she will play a pivotal role in picking the bureau's director.

It's been a long day.
    This is a complicated issue, IMO. It's hard to say exactly what this means or what will happen, but this could be a big victory. On the one hand, Wall Street, Republicans, and conservadem corporate sellouts hate Warren's guts more than anybody because she fucks their shit, so her getting through nomination right now could be a disaster. OTOH, her role could be a sort of defacto chair, I think the rules of the bureau sorta allow for that, and it doesn't discount she could be nominated later. In a way, this could be construed as a big FU to the banks and their backers

I like TYT's interpretation of the event. They'll have it up on youtube in a few hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee View Post
    i'm envious, if that is that awesome blender, if not , still cool,
    Tacoma Rainiers - Pacific Coast League Champs!!

WOO HOO!!!

(That's the Mariners AAA team)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH hawkfan.

Have you ever seen a chicken?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Got my first ftr tshirt in the mail today, Wore it out to the bars, I looked fucking awesome.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    *sigh*.. I'm jealous.. and I bit resentful because I know you wont use it to its fullest capabilities, but instead just to make puree based soups and smoothies. I'm lusting after the vita-prep 3, but just don't have 4-500$ to invest in one right now
    Yeahh I definitely won't get as much out of it as you would. I just wanna see it blend up an avocado pit!

If you had one, what would you mostly use it for?

I wish they would hurry up and deliver it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 09-18-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    I've made a HUGE mistake.
    Got my first ftr tshirt in the mail today, Wore it out to the bars, I looked fucking awesome.
    me too! mine is pink. i havent worn it anywhere yet. i think i might wear it to church on sunday night if i end up having to go.

edit my new shirt, ill probably get shit over the myspace angle, haw haw.

Last edited by Chelle; 09-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    ignorant lady in wheel chair throws out ethnic slurs

guy with hose sprays her down while his friends are ruthlessly taunting her?

i feel sad for every pathetic person in that video.
    I honestly couldn't make out any ethnic slurs or anything else she said, for that matter. I'm just assuming she said something racist then getting sprayed with a hose becomes fun for the whole family
    so i cooked chicken and mushrooms with a side of sweet carrots and rice.

the carrots and mushrooms were the only good thing about the meal. everything else tasted way too seeped in teriyaki sauce.

gg me
    If I want like healthy snacks throughout the day, nuts are the way forwards right? What am I looking for in terms of nuts? When I'm at the supermarket bulk bins it's just like salted this, honey roasted that, and I have no idea what I should be avoiding and what I should be shooting for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    ignorant lady in wheel chair throws out ethnic slurs

guy with hose sprays her down while his friends are ruthlessly taunting her?

i feel sad for every pathetic person in that video.
    Why?

His friends didn't ruthlessly taunt her, the sat by and chuckled while he was non-violently teaching that bitch some manners.

Only thing pathetic in that video was him watering his lawn by hand. Get a sprinkler system up in that bitch, you lazy nig-waaarrggglllbbbrrrr!
    Last edited by a500lbgorilla; 09-19-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    courtie, there are a ton of things I'd do with it, many of them things that could be done by hand or with another blender.. but a vita prep is a work horse, it does things faster, and better. Emulsifications for example are super easy. Then there are the things that cannot be done with anything but a vita-prep, such as pureeing thick ingredients with adding little or no liquid. Try to stuff a pound of spinach in a typical blender.. pretty much nothing will happen, but with a vita-prep..

wuf, on your rant about organic food. I really don't even know what to say. You seem to be mocking the use of the word organic. While the word chosen by the industry may be misleading, nonetheless there are differences between what is called 'organic' and 'nonorganic' foods. Failing to recognize that beef that has been fed growth hormones is less healthy for you (and the world in the way of waste runoff that goes into our water systems) than beef that has not been given these drugs is a huge oversight.

There are a ton of problems with the system though.. you have to pay out the ass to be certified. So you have a lot of small independent farms who have been 'organic' for decades yet cannot say so because they cannot afford the fee. Then you have subsidiaries of mega corps like Horizon, owned by Deans, who can artificially lower the price of organics making for an unfair marketplace for true organic dairy producers. They can do this because when a Horizon cow gets sick, instead of taking it out of production or even slaughtering it, they just ship it off to Deans where it is fed antibiotics and can continue producing.

So while I do agree that 'organic' is not always all its cracked up to be.. there is a difference between organic(whether its certified or not) and nonorganic. As for the price being higher.. well the food is more nutrient dense in many cases. Go find a good farmers market and buy some eggs (yes, the 'organic' eggs sold at walmart are better than the typical eggs, but to really see a difference go to a good farmers market.) Another example would be carrots. When using organic locally grown carrots from the farmers market to make stock, I can use less because they are not the bred-for-size nutritionally void horse carrots. So the price actually ends up evening out.
    second try at teriyaki chicken today, and i still failed.

im a failure as a woman.

almost. if i couldnt cook a mean steak then id probably off myself.
    courtie, there are a ton of things I'd do with it, many of them things that could be done by hand or with another blender.. but a vita prep is a work horse, it does things faster, and better. Emulsifications for example are super easy. Then there are the things that cannot be done with anything but a vita-prep, such as pureeing thick ingredients with adding little or no liquid. Try to stuff a pound of spinach in a typical blender.. pretty much nothing will happen, but with a vita-prep..

wuf, on your rant about organic food. I really don't even know what to say. You seem to be mocking the use of the word organic. While the word chosen by the industry may be misleading, nonetheless there are differences between what is called 'organic' and 'nonorganic' foods. Failing to recognize that beef that has been fed growth hormones is less healthy for you (and the world in the way of waste runoff that goes into our water systems) than beef that has not been given these drugs is a huge oversight.

There are a ton of problems with the system though.. you have to pay out the ass to be certified. So you have a lot of small independent farms who have been 'organic' for decades yet cannot say so because they cannot afford the fee. Then you have subsidiaries of mega corps like Horizon, owned by Deans, who can artificially lower the price of organics making for an unfair marketplace for true organic dairy producers. They can do this because when a Horizon cow gets sick, instead of taking it out of production or even slaughtering it, they just ship it off to Deans where it is fed antibiotics and can continue producing.

So while I do agree that 'organic' is not always all its cracked up to be.. there is a difference between organic(whether its certified or not) and nonorganic. As for the price being higher.. well the food is more nutrient dense in many cases. Go find a good farmers market and buy some eggs (yes, the 'organic' eggs sold at walmart are better than the typical eggs, but to really see a difference go to a good farmers market.) Another example would be carrots. When using organic locally grown carrots from the farmers market to make stock, I can use less because they are not the bred-for-size nutritionally void horse carrots. So the price actually ends up evening out.
    My point was that much of the 'health food' market doesn't know what they're doing, but they do get some stuff right even though it's inadvertent. Their misuse of the most basic thing in the labeling of 'organic' is very telling of this throughout the entire industry. A big problem is that it's a mixture of real quality stuff, and crackpots who latch onto the next big hype.

But yeah I'm not going to argue that food quality changes based on where and how it's cultivated
    My point was that much of the 'health food' market doesn't know what they're doing, but they do get some stuff right even though it's inadvertent. Their misuse of the most basic thing in the labeling of 'organic' is very telling of this throughout the entire industry. A big problem is that it's a mixture of real quality stuff, and crackpots who latch onto the next big hype.

But yeah I'm not going to argue that food quality changes based on where and how it's cultivated
    word.
    If I want like healthy snacks throughout the day, nuts are the way forwards right? What am I looking for in terms of nuts? When I'm at the supermarket bulk bins it's just like salted this, honey roasted that, and I have no idea what I should be avoiding and what I should be shooting for.
    Just eat a variety, what you like, and not too many.

The thing about 'being healthy' is the best 'simple' thing you can do (by far) is eat a variety, don't eat too much, and keep exercise levels strong

This is way, way more than the average person does, and if you want to go beyond, you get into the territory of understanding the whole diet/exercise thing at the details. In order to be healthy you don't really need to understand the details, you just have to engage in basic intelligent things. If all you do is use basic logic, you'll be fine. Things like if you feel you're too fat you eat fewer sugars or fatty carbs (like chips), or if your toilet time is too tough or not relieving enough you eat more fiber.

Just be smart. Moderation, basic logic, and gradual improvements (the tortoise wins the race). Anybody who does this is far ahead of the competition
    Yea the best thing you can do is focus on eating the protein you need and as much fiber as you can handle and the rest works out. Protein/veggies, protein/veggies......If you don't eat anything you can't identify as necassary then you won't eat any garbage.
    That's actually a very smart way of doing it. Focusing on protein and fiber covers about 95% of basis. The rest is really just getting the extra like the DHA EPA vit D type thing and making sure quantity is not ridiculously high and variety is adequate
    im going to start a quilt!

first i made myself finish my afgan, and bam, here it is

woot woot!
    Last edited by Chelle; 09-21-2010 at 02:55 AM.
    Mark, most of the coatings you'll come across are either salt or sugar. Shoot for raw nuts: almonds, walnuts and cashews are some of the best, healthiest options. Peanuts (which aren't really nuts, btw) are further down the line as far as a healthy choice, good but not best. Seeds can be a quality choice as well as they are also high in fibre, protein and vitamins/minerals. The question is just how much are you eating. A serving size is generally a handful, that's it.

Some ppl find nuts boring and/or dry. I like to eat them in a trail mix with dried cranberries and raisins.

Other options (warning: these might make you look like a tool when you eat them but fuck the fat slobs criticizing you) include veg that are easy to take with you: raw green beans, pea pods, carrots, edamame.
    Baby carrots and bananas ftw!

<~~~Eat deez nuts
    LOL OPERATIONS
    so in fine dining, after desert, you normally serve mignardise with the check. Mignardise are simply small bite sized candies, they can be truffles, cookies, tiny pastries, etc. As a back waiter I am sometimes told to go collect a given number (equal to the number of guests at a given table) from the pastry chef. I often respond to the head waiter "Sure thing, I'll get you some mignardiseeeeeeeee nutss!" as I point to my testicles.
    so in fine dining, after desert, you normally serve mignardise with the check. Mignardise are simply small bite sized candies, they can be truffles, cookies, tiny pastries, etc. As a back waiter I am sometimes told to go collect a given number (equal to the number of guests at a given table) from the pastry chef. I often respond to the head waiter "Sure thing, I'll get you some mignardiseeeeeeeee nutss!" as I point to my testicles.
    cool story, broost
    LOL OPERATIONS
    I went to an Olive Garden for the first time in years the other time. What was the most unique part of it was that there was a kid probably around 20 with a girl around the same age. My girlfriend and I were sat near them (with me facing them) after they had already been seated. The WHOLE time neither of them say a word to each other. The guy (seemed extremely shy/awkward) kept looking down at his food the whole time while the girl stared at him and then at the tables around them in a confused look. At the very end she asked him something and he smiled with a quick reply. As the check was paid, the girl immediately left way ahead of him. By this time my gf is pissed that they've stolen all my attention. Obvious first (and probably blind) date?

But that's fucking awkward as shit. I guess I feel bad for him but I could never see any date of mine ever going close to that.
    lol diet n00bs, I eat every 30 minutes with a 70/10/20 macro breakdown to stoke my metabolism and keep my BMR over 3,500 even at 6% BF and 5'10 205.

Carbs are the devil
    Red meat is bad for you
    Eggs cause high cholesterol
    Rice cakes are awesome
    etc
    also, LOL Olive Garden you n00b

(I do it right Boost?)
    So I went to the Olive Garden for the first time in years and what got my attention was the whole time was this one dude and his girlfriend. The whole time they were there the dude just kept staring at this young couple also sitting in the restaurant. His girlfriend kept trying to get his attention but he kept creeping on this one young couple. By the time their check came it was obvious his girlfriend was super pissed with him. Obvious failing (and possibly hopeless) relationship?
    Last edited by Galapogos; 09-22-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I failed at mentioning where

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.