Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Time for a new computer mouse

Default Time for a new computer mouse

Any suggestions?
    The more comfortable the better. I don't really play video games on my PC, though...just poker.
    Currently using a cheap Logitech that's lasted me years.

I've never used a wireless mouse...anyone ever have any problems with those?

Thanks.

Here's a present from me:

Microsoft is one of my least liked companies, but they have always made excellent keyboards and mice. It's the only brand I buy.

I haven't used wireless before but, other than the battery replacement/recharging, the RF mouses should work just fine.
    Whatever you do, don't get the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 wireless keyboard/mouse combo. They're both basically useless ime, the wireless connection drops out for a second every couple of minutes. This will tilt the hell out of you.

I love the physical properties ie shape, weight, general feel of both the mouse and keyboard though, if you can find wired versions (I used to have the natural ergonomic keyboard 4000 which is the same keyboard but wired - then I spilled a glass of pepsi in it) def try them out.
    Not a big fan of wireless for poker. If you do get one, make sure you always have a battery handy during your sessions. I can see that beiung a major casue of tilt. I still have a USB Logitech Trackball I have had for 3 years.

Ive used a logitech MX Laser for about 3 years now. They dont make this one anymore, but there are similar ones in their lineup. Its wireless, and I will never go back to wired. I have to forget to charge my mouse for 2 full days of moderate use for it to die on me. But make sure your wireless mouse is powered by a lithium battery, not 2 AA's or whatever. Last I looked at wireless mice I did notice that several had a USB charging cable that plugged into the mouse and allowed you to use it while it charged, just like a wired mouse. If you do go wireless and your mosue doesnt have this capability, obviously keep a cheapo usb mouse on hand just in case.
    i have a wireless logitech...and rechargable batteries for it.....never had a problem...oh ya...its the kind with the mini usb port thingee....you know? so it doesn't stick out 2" from my laptop....i leave it in all the time cuz i have three ports. it's only about 1/4" big. costs about 50-60$ but its always cheaper at staples when its on sale.....
    I use the rechargeable "rocket fish" Its small and has super tight movement. Seems like you can set it faster than other mice. But not many buttons for extra stuff if you use scripts and such.
    anyone have a rec for a bigger mouse? i have big hands and using a reg. sized mouse is uncomfortable sometimes.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Quote Originally Posted by bode View Post
    anyone have a rec for a bigger mouse? i have big hands and using a reg. sized mouse is uncomfortable sometimes.
    Yeah same for me. I should have mentioned this in my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Yeah same for me. I should have mentioned this in my post.
    i found a wireless mouse for work that was bigger, a kensington maybe? i had never heard of them before but it looked nice and was a choice in the catalog our office manager gave me. Its good size wise, but the response time for clicking is off by a fraction of a second and screws me up when using autocad. are all wireless mice like this, or did i just pick a bad one?
    no you didn't pick bad, yes it's broken.

My rechargeables last well over a week, I charge them once a weekend just to be safe. Keyboard i use regular because they last forever. I will never have another wire.
    this is what i use and i have fairly large hands.

i used to play counter strike semi professionally so i've always steered towards gaming mice for playing poker as they are very accurate as well as durable. the problem ive had with wireless mice is that if the battery dies the time it takes to swap it out can be very costly to your time bank and it is very disruptive to thought process. I would discourage use of wireless mice if you multi-table to the point where 25 seconds to swap a battery will time you out on a few tables.
    Last edited by aka_red; 03-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    [11:11] <+bikes> bitches love your face
    Quote Originally Posted by reDZill4 View Post
    I use this too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzard View Post
    I use this too!
    you live together?

i used to play counter strike semi professionally so i've always steered towards gaming mice for playing poker as they are very accurate as well as durable. the problem ive had with wireless mice is that if the battery dies the time it takes to swap it out can be very costly to your time bank and it is very disruptive to thought process. I would discourage use of wireless mice if you multi-table to the point where 25 seconds to swap a battery will time you out on a few tables.
    link?
    Logitech® Performance Mouse MX?

I LOVE this mouse. It is the most comfortable mouse I've ever had. EVER.

No problems with connectivity and it even has a charging mechanism that doesn't require you to constantly go out and buy new batteries. All you have to do is use the mini-USB to plug into the mouse and voila!

Price is a bit steep, but if you're going to be using your mouse extensively (for poker, for instance), this is well worth it.

Additionally, to defray the cost, you could always go to ebay and get it refurbed: Logitech Performance Mouse MX Cordless Laser Mouse - eBay (item 310202863917 end time Mar-25-10 13:31:30 PDT)
    Rocketfish Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse Combo

this is what i'm rolling with. very precise movement.....and it counts down battery life &#37; when it gets to 10% so I never have any issues with dead batteries during session.

Whatever you do, don't get a wireless mouse. They do get disconnects and tend to react slower.
    A couple of months ago I bought a quality mouse for the first time in my life and it broke last week. I still use it but the left button auto double-clicks half the time.
    double post
    Last edited by oskar; 03-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    I used to use a Razer Diamondback Plasma mouse, which was a good size, very lightweight and really responsive.

I used a friend's Logitech MX Revolution and after getting used to the added weight of the battery, I liked it enough to buy one and it's the one I use regularly now. Besides reducing the amount of cables trailing around your PC being a wireless mouse really isn't much of a selling point, but it's a quality mouse with good battery life and charges quickly.

Of the two I feel the Razer probably makes the better mouse for poker, but you couldn't go wrong with either.
    If you get disconnects with a wireless mouse its either a cheap old pos, broken drivers or interference from WLAN if it's a bluetooth mouse. I've been using various logitech wireless mice for years, currently also using an MX Revolution and I'm perfectly happy with it. No disconnects, one recharge lasts for about a week.

I also use this mouse and like it
    I should add that I play on a laptop mostly. So battery dieing in a wireless mouse is not much of an issuse

I used the old wired Microsoft programmable laser mouse for CS. man i freakin loved that thing. I'm sure there were better ones on the market though. I thought about breaking it back out if i ever started using table ninja or something.
    I have never played CS professionally, but I've played first person shooters since Wolfenstein came out and I've just recently switched from the standard rx300 with 800 dpi to one with 1600 - other than that I had to change the sensitivity settings, I haven't noticed a difference.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-15-2010 at 02:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I have never played CS professionally, but I've played first person shooters since Wolfenstein came out and I've just recently switched from the standard rx300 with 800 dpi to one with 1600 - other than that I had to change the sensitivity settings, I haven't noticed a difference.
    probably why you never played professionally.
    +1 for the deathadder
    3k post - Return of the blog!
    No, the reason why I've never played professionally is because I never even knew you could and that I've played maybe a dozen computer games in my life, two of which are Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of Lounge Lizzards and Ms Packman.

I had to get a new mouse, so I wus like what the hell, I'm going to find out what all the rage is about. I found the death adder pretty uncomfortable with the bent up buttons, and the side buttons were too far up front for me so I went with the imperator.
    I have it set at 3200 dpi with the sensitivity settings left at default in both windows and left4dead, and acceleration turned off. That seems to match what I had before.
    The most positive thing I've noticed is that it physically glides smoother than my last mouse. I can't yet say if there is any real improvement, because I'm still getting used to it.
    At the price I'm not too impressed with the build quality. The buttons feel and sound rather cheap, and the glossy surface on the sides makes my thumb sweaty.

edit: And the buttons are too heavy lol - one hour of poker and my index finger hurts - not the best $70 I've spent in my life
    edit2: After a bit of gameplay I'm not too impressed. There is an improvement in aiming It does register smaller movements and such... But the mouse jumps down and to the right for about 2 inches every time I lift it up. That in addition to all the other flaws makes the price tag pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-17-2010 at 07:08 AM.