Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Ante Up Tournaments Discussion

Default Ante Up Tournaments Discussion

With WCOOP running 2 Ante Up events (5th and 12th of September), I figured I'd create a thread for strategy etc.

In my personal experience (which is basically one deep run in a SCOOP low) Ante Up events tend to be far softer than normal tournaments. Most players don't and can't adjust to the structure.

This is the current Ante Up schedule on Pokerstars:

(All times in GMT, ET is -5 hours)

It would be great to get some discussion going on opening sizes, ranges to peel against different raise sizes, etc. I'll play a couple of Ante Up tournaments next session to get some hands to discuss too.

The one thing I do know is that not at least limping every hand once the antes are reasonably big is a massive mistake!
    pokergod gabe says its extremely profitable to raise like 60-70% of hands because people play absurdly poorly in this structure. i believe him.

?wut
    I had a deep run in one of the $5.50 games, think I lost HU, can't remember now. But yeah standard was ridic poor. People raising blinds x3, regardless of ante size and thus pot size. So you'll see a raise to 15 in a 1k+ pot. lol.
    I was generally raising to around 80-90% of the pot, though I sort of plucked that number out of thin air. Not sure what optimal is, but that sizing served me ok.
    Once antes were 100+, l/f became standard play pre flop, or l/c is villain makes a retard raise. I was seeing a flop by limping something like once an orbit on average, though it became harder to limp later on. But with antes getting even bigger, one doesn't need to see nearly as many flops.
    Also, you get muppets who MUST DEFEND BLIND at all costs, like limps to them, and they RAISE BIG with like ace rag or some shit that would be faaaaar better off taking the flop, then 99 or something like that that limped ep shoves and they make a dumb call. Shit like that goes on a lot.
    They are much softer than standard games, but with the structure, once the antes get running it becomes more and more of a turbo, you reach the point where a steal an orbit becomes an absolute necessity, rather than a preference.

I tend to consider push/fold stage to be around 6M, or around 50 antes. I have no idea if this is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong