Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Starting hand requirements in early blind stages of a SNG.

Default Starting hand requirements in early blind stages of a SNG.

Note, the following is only referring to the early blind stages of a SNG. I am trying to make a chart according to what Moshman says in his book, "Sit 'n Go Strategy". If you have read his book, please tell me if I have copied what he had correctly. Also, what is considered late position? Is the Hi-jack seat (mp3) late position, or does it start with the CO?. I greatly appreciate the help. Right now I'm at 10% ROI for $11 SNGs, but I'd like to improve. This chart is a bit tighter than I was previously playing. I greatly appreciate the help from the wise here.

Early Position:
    Raise With: JJ+, AK
    Limp: 22 - 1010, AQs

Middle Position:
    Raise 99+ (3bet with 88 on the Hi-jack seat), AJs
    Limp: 22-88
    Fold to a raise: 99-1010 (are Jacks a fold too? The author is vague.), AJs, AQ (AQs too?), any hand not mentioned as a raise.

Late Position:
    Raise (w/no others in the pot): K-10+, 55+, A10s+
    Speculative Hands (limping where there are 2 other limpers in the pot): Suited Connectors (54s and up), Suited Aces, 22-1010, Semi Suited Connectors (such as J-9s, K-10s)
    Limp with no others in the pot: 22-44? Please confirm. Is this still a raise if you're on the button?

I know some of it will depend on the playing style of my opponents, but I want a rough guideline of what to do.
    first
    If you don't have anything to say, don't even bother.
    I haven't double checked your hand chart against Moshman's book, but I thought I would comment on it anyway.

EP: Generally agree with your chart except that I sometimes raise TT and almost always raise AQ (and I play AQo as well as AQs).

MP: I tend to follow EP guidelines except that I would usually raise TT, and 99 only from MP3/HJ. I would never 3-bet with 88 in the HJ, if somebody raises in front I call and play for set value

LP: Open raise range tends to be read dependent on the blinds but I tend to raise a little wider than that - maybe something like 22+, A2+, K7s+, K9o+, QT+, JT. Agree with the speculative hands limp range but I would only do this up to level 2/3 and ideally I'd also like a read that the blinds are relatively passive (ie. they won't raise to try to steal the dead chips).
    Ok, thanks Taipan, that helps a lot! I found it a bit strange that he was advising folding AQo, and I'll probably end up playing it.

And yeah, the limping is only up to level 2/3. Thanks for the advice
    Oh, one question you asked that I forgot to answer - late position is the CO and button. The HJ is late MP - so I do open up my range slightly from the usual MP hand selection suggestions.
    Is the book a good read? Worth anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripclubjunkie
    Highly recommend it if you plan on playing SnG seriously....great read...
    fold everything early.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrking22
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrking22
    +1
    Ok will def check it..
    I don't like to stick to charts like this, because it totally ignores table dynamics, and once there is action in front of you the charts go out the window

All and all I think your chart is too tight
    For example I open raise AQ from all positions, I open raise 99 from all positions, I would open raise KQ, AT and maybe A9 from MP, and I often raise mid PP as well from those positions