Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Need Info/Help moving to London from US

Default Need Info/Help moving to London from US

Writing this from London right now. Came here for vacation and talked to some family members and they can hook me up with a place to stay + utility bills. Thinking about subletting my place in NYC for 3-6 months and coming here to grind. At worse, think it will be a fun experience. At best, mad profits $$$ and I will think about a more permanent stay.

Gonna stay at a place called Sydenham (near Bromley), about a block away from the Penge East train station.,

How hard is it to get a utility bill under my name? I or the current person the bill's name under can call and set something up where the cable internet is under my name right? Does it matter that I'm not a UK citizen?

Utility bill + US passport is enough to open a bank account in this country, correct?

If any of you FTR brits have suggestions, please let me know.
    The santander bank do a basic bank account. There are loads of them on main roads. they will be able to tell you instantly of its possible to open account.
    AS for utility bill with broadband. Get your bank account. Then try sky broadband. That's a utility bill and broadband. But you need a bank account first.
    Yeah you'd be much better off walking into any local bank branch and asking. Banks are everywhere, on every high street.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Clan_Sup3rMaN View Post
    Utility bill + US passport is enough to open a bank account in this country, correct?
    I have heard it's actually pretty difficult, if you want to do anything other than just a basic account.

Assuming you aren't going to have a visa and are just staying under ' a long holiday type of thing' - then I'm not sure that you'd be able to get one.
    I just got back from a lyod's tsb bank...they told me a a US based passport and a proof of residency is enough to open an account. I asked her if a utility bill is okay, she said its fine. They do not consider cable internet a utility bill but will accept a landline phone bill.

Does anyone have any experience of how difficult it is for a foreigner to get a landline phone? Currently my family here has a line and they have no problem with me switching it to under my name...just wondering if I would run into any difficulties just switching the name on the account to my name.

How difficult is it to transfer money from a bank account to pokerstars or other sites? I was hoping to multi site pokerstars, pkr, and party poker.
    How difficult is it to transfer money from a bank account to pokerstars or other sites? I was hoping to multi site pokerstars, pkr, and party poker.
    with a UK bank credit/debit card very easy.
    I'll help you rmove if you order pizza.
    Can use my truck if you fill the tank and buy beer.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    is wilbur from bromley way? or was it slevin
    If you can get documents for Uk then have you not considered neteller?

Much easier to use and you can send the money back to your uk bank acc as long as you have an Iban number which if I remember correctly you get as long as you has a genuine bank account of any sort
    P.s move from the shitty south too.....expensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001 View Post
    If you can get documents for Uk then have you not considered neteller?

Much easier to use and you can send the money back to your uk bank acc as long as you have an Iban number which if I remember correctly you get as long as you has a genuine bank account of any sort
    Being a US citizen I have never used neteller If I have a UK bank account I can easily get money into and out of netteller? PS, Party, and PKR all accept neteller as a means of depositing and cashing out?

Not sure why neteller didnt cross my mind all this time lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Miffed22001 View Post
    P.s move from the shitty south too.....expensive
    Don't know much about England -_- I'm gonna being staying with family so expenses will be minimal as far as living costs go
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    I'll help you rmove if you order pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    Can use my truck if you fill the tank and buy beer.
    haha, thanks for the offers...fortunately I will be moving with everything furnished already...just gotta buy a good computer chair for the long hours
    Oh, that's good. I didn't mean it anyway. I was drunk when I said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyLaRue View Post
    Oh, that's good. I didn't mean it anyway. I was drunk when I said that.
    </3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    is wilbur from bromley way? or was it slevin
    Not me - I'm from SW London. Bromley is out in the Kent sticks!

@Superman : If you fancy a live game sometime, me and my mates play every now and then somewhere in London - depends who's hosting. Fun game (£5/£10ish BI), lots of beers food and banter. All a good bunch who'll be happy to take the piss out of yank as you take their money!
    Normski
    Quote Originally Posted by WillburForce View Post

@Superman : If you fancy a live game sometime, me and my mates play every now and then somewhere in London - depends who's hosting. Fun game (£5/£10ish BI), lots of beers food and banter. All a good bunch who'll be happy to take the piss out of yank as you take their money!

Definitely would be down for this.
    Is their anyway I would be able to keep my monies in USD at a bank? I'm afraid of losing out on some $$ from conversions.

Right now LDO i have all USD...when i deposit into the bank...im assuming it turns into GBP...then I upload to neteller which is USD? Then deposit onto site...play...withdraw in USD which gets converted to GBP once in my bank and when I eventually withdraw all to come to USA...back to USD

Seems like I would be losing quite a bit in conversion, no?
    The dollar is weak now anyway isn't it? That should mean you'll get more £££s for $$$s. Maybe you should've changed all your dollars into pounds before they sorted out the debt thing in Yankieland.

Miffed is right, by the way, if you reach a point where you have to rent your own place, it's fucking ludicrous in London and the general SW. It's not difficult to find places much cheaper, while being an hour or so away from the outskirts of London, places like Southampton, Birmingham and Bristol. It's not so bad if you're working in London and earning London wages, but if your income is 100% poker, you'll be earning less in London than other places. It's worth a thought if circumstances change and your expenses increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    The dollar is weak now anyway isn't it? That should mean you'll get more £££s for $$$s.
    wat.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    wat.
    +1. epic fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Miffed is right, by the way, if you reach a point where you have to rent your own place, it's fucking ludicrous in London and the general SW. It's not difficult to find places much cheaper, while being an hour or so away from the outskirts of London, places like Southampton, Birmingham and Bristol. It's not so bad if you're working in London and earning London wages, but if your income is 100% poker, you'll be earning less in London than other places. It's worth a thought if circumstances change and your expenses increase.

Definitely do not plan on living there forever. Plan on staying there until (hopefully) US makes online poker legal. I will be staying with family and paying around $500-600 a month for shelter, utilities, and home cooked meals which is a uber deal imo. That is like 3 times less than what I pay here in NYC and that doesn't include food.I just end up ordering/eating out here instead of cooking myself so def will save some $$ in living costs.
    The dollar is weak now anyway isn't it? That should mean you'll get more £££s for $$$s. Maybe you should've changed all your dollars into pounds before they sorted out the debt thing in Yankieland.
    Flip side of living in the "expensive" South East/London is that you're in the best bit of England.

InB4 loads of northerners with funny accents.

@ SuperM : I'll drop you a PM if we do organise a game - might be one coming in late Aug.
    Normski
    Epic fail indeed. I blame the weed.
    ongies gonna ong
    Update:

Finally the move is happening. I bought my one-way ticket to London for Nov 2nd. As far as the utility bill goes, I am not sure what is okay for the bank. The one bank I went to said that internet bill is not sufficient but a landline phone is. I am wondering if one of those package deals for internet + phone counts or not.

Not sure what the best deal or service is out there. Currently I am checking this site out trying to figure out what would be best: BT Broadband Review, Deals and Information – Broadband Finder
    I wish I saw this before. I never got the chance tomake fun of you about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooG690 View Post
    Boog! what r u up to? are you moving overseas?
    Are you going to join the TV show "Rat Busters NYC" ?
    Congrats. Will there be pizza now?
    Boog! what r u up to? are you moving overseas?
    im off to korea soon.
    dont buy a one way ticket! Always buy a round trip and then cancel the return leg once you get there. way cheaper.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    It's never too late to mock me.
    ongies gonna ong
    im off to korea soon.
    Pokerstars Change of Country (South Korea) - Internet Poker - Online Poker Forum

having read that , find it funny that you are leaving a uigea country to go to a new country with uigea style laws so that you can play poker.

seriously though,been helping supe3rman trry and get money online and its not as easy as people might think for people just landing in a new country. Some of the methods were truly frighteningly horrific in charges. i.e 10$ evoucher......3$ transaction charge on top.

Moneybookers was easy to set up and address verification means receiving a letter through the post.transferred him some $ on moneybookers to get going with.The problem is getting his $ online though. I suggested opening a $ account at a UK bank to save the currency charges getting his money online as well as a £ account for living expenses ....but needs a utility bill for that showing proof of residency which all take time to receive.

we looked at going into betting shop and depositing cash ...but can only be done in £ which means two lots of currency exchange. Western union is available and he's checkingthat out today , but could well only be possible in £ as well which also means 2 lots of curency exchange.

everthing becomes easier once you have a bank account sorted ,so before you move , investigate that thoroughly and know what you'll have to do when you land.
    I think Boog is moving for an unrelated reason.
    Ich grolle nicht...
    Probably too late for this but get broadband from Virgin Media FTW. It's competitive in terms of cost but, most importantly, it's fibre optic to your front door. Fast and VERY RELIABLE.
    - You're the reason why paradise lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor View Post
    The medical plans for clown jobs there are unmatched by any other country.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illfavor View Post
    This is the truth. I will be teaching English there. I'll have a bank account set up in my name where I'll be getting paid moneys from the school I'll be working at. I've been in contact with a bunch of poker players from 2+2 who are also teachers there.

Yes, they have some sort of laws against online poker there...but they are pretty much unregulated. Granted, there may be some kind of "Black Friday" in S. Korea, but I'm not too worried about that.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    Black Friday is something different there and involves nukes being lobbed over the de-militarized zone right into your kimchee.

I love kimchee.
    This is the truth. I will be teaching English there. I'll have a bank account set up in my name where I'll be getting paid moneys from the school I'll be working at. I've been in contact with a bunch of poker players from 2+2 who are also teachers there.

Yes, they have some sort of laws against online poker there...but they are pretty much unregulated. Granted, there may be some kind of "Black Friday" in S. Korea, but I'm not too worried about that.
    I was very close to doing this. Have you gotten your whole FBI background check and all that stuff sorted out? Took me forever to get it all done but my recruiter was really patient thank god. Where are you looking to get stationed, Seoul?
    [00:29] <daven> dc, why not check turn behind
    [00:30] <DC> daven
    [00:30] <DC> on my hand?
    [00:30] <daven> yep
    [00:30] <DC> because I am drunk
    [00:30] <daven> nice reason
    [00:30] <daven> no further questions
    [00:30] <yaawn> ^^Lol

Problem officer...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Donachello View Post
    I was very close to doing this. Have you gotten your whole FBI background check and all that stuff sorted out? Took me forever to get it all done but my recruiter was really patient thank god. Where are you looking to get stationed, Seoul?
    I haz job already and I'll be leaving November 26th. I'll be stationed here: guro-dong, guro-gu, seoul - Google Maps

Yeah, the FBI CBC was fucking ridiculous. Only country in the world that takes 3 months. I hope you asked to get it authenticated.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    Wait, what, even not foreign looking people have to get that FBI background check? That's way less funny.
    BooG IS foreign looking. :3
    cock sauce and anything asian is great
    Quote Originally Posted by Roid_Rage View Post
    BooG IS foreign looking. :3
    He was talking about DC, noob.
    He was talking about D.C., noob.

NOW HE'S PLANNING TO BOMB WASHINGTON D.C.!
    cock sauce and anything asian is great