Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Gauntlet: The Online Poker League

Let's work together to improve the Gauntlet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    make it $1 or free? Hard to believe there are a lot of people rolled for -EV tourneys (in their mind) at $5 but not $10
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Play more weeks and run the gauntlet longer. It's a gauntlet, not a series. Make it 15 games count and play like 20 weeks of early and late on Sundays. I would rather play in the mornings than the afternoons myself when the Euros can. (I have a family so I need my Sundays as well). Getting the same 15 people is not your goal and teh BC is your source of new people, you can't exclude them. If you have 40 games total, why not have random PLO or HU games?
    The problem with a long tournament series is that you end up with incredibly small fields at the end due to people having no shot to win the thing. It's a delicate balance of making the Gauntlet long enough to "feel" like a season to the regs and also making it compelling for new players to join even if they didn't make it in time for the beginning of the season.
    GMML, do you have the breakdown of participation by tournament time ?

By day of the week?
    Day of week and time of day (in sunday)

I decided to split this topic and start a new thread with the data.
    One more thing. That Dr Mc Boy fella talks a lot of sense.
    - You're the reason why paradise lost
    In the spirit of the game, I've returned to the game after moving from the Washington DC area to the Tampa Bay area. I am ready to return to the felt battleground of the Gauntlet.

"Let's Rock" - Al Bundy!
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. "
    --Shane Falco, Washington Sentinels
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy View Post
    post links to all the promos and ads from last time?
    bump

the calender says we have one tonight? But I guess it was yesterday.

make it a two week event or just cancel it, gets more pathetic every year or however often they run.
    bump

the calender says we have one tonight? But I guess it was yesterday.

make it a two week event or just cancel it, gets more pathetic every year or however often they run.
    I don't think shortening the event by itself would solve the problem - our turnouts have been crap right from the start this season.

Last night was the low point for me - we had a 6-max tournament with 30 min late registration and were playing heads up on 2 tables when we got down to 4 pretty quick before the late reg had passed.

There hasn't been much promotion. Back when we had great turnouts there were apparel giveaways and bounties almost every event. Multiple admins - and certainly lots of regs - played and people had a fun time just coming in to play and talk to them as well. It felt like an FTR community event.

If the promotion's not going to be there and we're not willing to change the event to get the turnout up - whatever it takes, even if it means dropping the entry fee to $1 - then we might as well can it.
    i would say having more mods and admins playing would help.

Promote it more in Sng, MTT, and BC. forum. Add some bonus's. gear, bounty, etc.

and maybe post more hands, etc, just getting discussions about it might help promote it.

also $5 might be better for a lot of the BC players. or maybe include at least a few $5 games.
    I agree having more mods and admins, FTR Pros would aid in getting the numbers up as well as getting the word out.
    I had seen the Gaunlet mention but being a newbie I was reluctant to try it for two reasons
    1.buy-ins are high
    2. being a amateur on-line poker was scary.
    The first week of July I saw the gaunlet league on Pokerstars while registering for something else..lol
    I have since taken part in 4 of the 16. One of those being last Sunday, I was really looking forward to it so I preregistered but was unable to play. ;(
    I love the compertition. Playing with seasoned players is the best way to get to the top. And the Gaunlet leaderboard does the tracking so it a great way to monitor yourself.
    As for game type spliting is a good ideal Holdem vs Special (omaha,razz,stud) making these games more rewarding as far as point towards the overall score might help draw more players in and keep the stealing of points down.
    May Luck Bless Everyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee View Post
    The admins need to spend more time participating and promoting. Simple as that. Until that happens, the Gauntlet will remain mediocre with few participants.
    ^my post from 2009 at the start of this thread. I agree that it would be better if we could get some of the high profile regs to play, but that's gonna be hard to do. For them to want to play, it has to be fun for them and there has to be a lot of friendly competition between themselves. So far Gauntlet doesn't offer that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by courtiebee View Post
    ^my post from 2009 at the start of this thread. I agree that it would be better if we could get some of the high profile regs to play, but that's gonna be hard to do. For them to want to play, it has to be fun for them and there has to be a lot of friendly competition between themselves. So far Gauntlet doesn't offer that.
    thats kinda a chicken or egg scenario, for more regs, mods, admins to play they would like more competition, which will happen if more regs, mods, and admins play. if we can get most to agree on playing one it might start a trend.

i would love if instead of just a PLO game we could have a mix game, either NLH and PLO, or horse, etc. if this is a smaller buyin ($5) might give some people a chance to experience other forms of poker.
    I told you that the buy in was a problem. $10 is too much for most of the people that would play. The admins and mods don't care about he cost, and most of the serious grinders are never going to participate. You excluded a large part of the populace that would have played for less, but can't justify the cost to play against better players.
    It sounds like it used to get half decent participation, so whats changed that has stopped people from joining or participating. i assume its always been $10 and that seemed to work before? or is it just a matter of promoting it more?

making it $5 BI might persuade some people to join, and jyms makes a good point that to mods and admins the buy ins pretty irrelevant.

I really think promoting it in BC, SNG, MTT, etc, forums would really help, as well as posting hands and having discussions in forums other then the gauntlet forum, promoting it almost as a learning tool.
    whether the buy in is irrelevant to the mods imho is....irrelevant. Mods in my mind are supposed to have a certain pride and interest for the site almost to the point where they should be participating anyway...back in the days, everyone participated including xianti and he would give gear away.

im of the same philosophy of someone above me about the chicken and the egg...if people JUST played, we would have a field of like 30-40 once, and then ppl would in part know the fields would be big and play again...i see all the time ppl dont want to play because the field is small...i dont understand that at all. the buy in is not the problem at all, it seems gauntlet has lost its novelty. It really is a shame but i dont understand how there arent 40-50 people on this site who would be interested in the gauntlet. I just do not believe that or even think that it is fathomable.
    Roco415.
    I think you overestimate how many people are regulars to this site. The traffic in the MTT, S&G and FL forums is almost non existent except when some noob joins and starts posting. There is all but a few regs in the SH and FR forums as well. There is maybe 50 regular contributors on the whole forum sans the BC and the buyin is very relevant to the BC. They are the ones that would find it a "novelty" as you put it and increase the fields. Where are you looking to find people to increase the sizes of the fields from 6-10 to this magic 40-50, the commune? Almost half those regulars posting there don't even play poker anymore and only visit FTR for the friendship and conversation.

Let's seriously start looking at where you think these people are coming from, I defy you to find 20 people that should/could be playing and aren't.
    What is the downside to reducing the BI? may as well try it.

Re the shorter event, having one daily gives it a chance to gain momentum. Again, the downside is we get 5-10 players per game, if there are less we could just give up after day 4 or whatever.

The point is people have complained about promos and admins caring forever and it's just gotten worse each time, time to get out of the box. same is true for all the high profile regs playing. You guys posting the same stuff over and over is detrimental because then someone like Leg can say "Oh yeah this time we'll XXXX" and for some reason you all believe them instead of calling out the BS and so yet another GL goes by with no changes/hope.

to answer the question above re the old days we had more active regs back in the day and a LOT more active tourney players. we saw X more often but other than that I don't think much has changed from the admin side, and it isn't realistic to expect a guy that doesn't even post regularly to play.
    I only played once this season because I knew I couldn't commit to playing at least the 12 tourneys necessary to compete and the individual Gauntlet tournies really aren't terribly interesting.

More players would be more interesting, for sure, and the $5 buy-in would go far to entice the BC players, imo.

Also, with the schedule - are there really any Euros playing? If not, just give up the pretense that the Gauntlet needs to be available to Euros too and just make it a more Americentric time.
    I am from Europe (Israel) and I play when I can on euro time, which happened to be twice this season

I feel that the BC is where you will find any increase in numbers for gauntlet tournies. I learned of the gauntlet series as a result of seeing it on the BC. I had to search out what it was though. I joined because of the possible fun and friendship more than I thought I could compete with you all, but in all honesty if my live play bankroll wasnt where it is, my online bankroll couldn't stand the buy ins. I have learned more in the six or seven tournies that I have played with you all than I have by just lurking and reading in the BC and articles over the past year. If more BCers knew this you might have to put limits on the entries. I think promotion as to who all plays and to what the gauntlet is, not just that gaunlet game 20 is tonight, in the BC thread is of utmost importance.
    the old days we had more active regs back in the day and a LOT more active tourney players.
    that pretty much sums it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LvB4uDi View Post
    I feel that the BC is where you will find any increase in numbers for gauntlet tournies. I learned of the gauntlet series as a result of seeing it on the BC. I had to search out what it was though. I joined because of the possible fun and friendship more than I thought I could compete with you all, but in all honesty if my live play bankroll wasnt where it is, my online bankroll couldn't stand the buy ins. I have learned more in the six or seven tournies that I have played with you all than I have by just lurking and reading in the BC and articles over the past year. If more BCers knew this you might have to put limits on the entries. I think promotion as to who all plays and to what the gauntlet is, not just that gaunlet game 20 is tonight, in the BC thread is of utmost importance.
    No, THIS pretty much sums it up.

People go from BC lurkers to reg's via playing and having fun in the Gauntlet.
    Poker is easy, it's winning at poker that's hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorJH View Post
    No, THIS pretty much sums it up.

People go from BC lurkers to reg's via playing and having fun in the Gauntlet.
    So general consensus on these points is:
    • Advertise more to BC
    • Lower buyin to make more accessible to BC bankrolls
    • When publicizing, include general "wtf is the Gauntlet?' info in all posts

I can agree with these - can't hurt at this point with our current numbers, right?
    $1 micro gauntlet for bc. Gets people interested and allows more of us to play within our bankroll.

$5 reg. gauntlet that bcers can aspire to move up to.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    AT LEAST FIX THE CALENDAR FFS, the game was tonight, not tomorrow. Just like I posted last week. THAT PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP. I can complain about less tourney players, you guys just need to admit you don't care.
    AT LEAST FIX THE CALENDAR FFS, the game was tonight, not tomorrow. Just like I posted last week. THAT PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP. I can complain about less tourney players, you guys just need to admit you don't care.

can you please provide me with a screen shot of what you see? i've logged in with my account and 4 dummy accounts and they all show the correct calendar dates.

i'm wondering if it has to do with time zone settings... can you check what time zone setting your profile is in? Profile - Edit Options - Date & Time Options
    There's a lot more promotion that we can do within FTR and in the online poker community itself to get numbers up. Xianti isn't actually working on this any longer so we don't have a dedicated person in charge of the Gauntlet, so it hasn't gotten the attention it needs. The admins will talk and we can try any changes that everyone thinks makes the most sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post

can you please provide me with a screen shot of what you see? i've logged in with my account and 4 dummy accounts and they all show the correct calendar dates.

i'm wondering if it has to do with time zone settings... can you check what time zone setting your profile is in? Profile - Edit Options - Date & Time Options
    i always have the wrong dates in the calender as well, I'm mountain time zone.
    lower buy in was a good idea as participation went up quite a bit in last 6 games and that was at the end when most players were out of contention to win. i think having a $5 buy ins from start will really help
    so did gator win the ME and fuck me out of 3rd? i sware im not mad if he did...

hahahah
    Roco415.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roco415 View Post
    so did gator win the ME and fuck me out of 3rd? i sware im not mad if he did...

hahahah
    Nah, It was gonna be pretty hard to pass you unless we had a big field.
    no he got river flushed in third, but his fault for his terrible bet sizing giving good odds to chase. lol
    So what's up with this dealio?
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    Quote Originally Posted by supahaole View Post
    So what's up with this dealio?
    poker league,

I'd be down for a new Gauntlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fulksy View Post
    poker league,

I'd be down for a new Gauntlet.

haha I am sure you would be. But I want to win this time. I'd be up for one too but don't know how much I could play.
    lets go again...sick of getting 3rd places
    Roco415.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roco415 View Post
    lets go again...sick of getting 3rd places
    play better?
    I'm in this time
    but yea, idk what kind of tournies we are capable of putting together but any of these would be cool-

Deep
    rebuy
    heads up
    turbo
    Varying buyins- 1$/5$/20$ (bling bling high rollers game!!!!)
    one of those tournies where you have to beat everyone at your table to move to the next table
    more bounties
    6max
    4max

idk just throwing it out there, sorry if we have already tried some of these
    yea ready for repeat, iirc when we lowered the buyin to $5 last time the attendance increased decently.

i think the most important thing is promoting this more in the other forums
    BC,SnG, MTT... and with the lower buyin i think it'll be easier to get more micro players involved.
    yea and the Commune too
    Yeah I feel like nowadays the most traffic would come with lower buy-ins. If this starts up again I (or anyone really) will promote it in the BC at least.
    There's a very good chance that, for the first time, I'll be taking part too. I'd even play non-NLHE events, if they're included.