Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

FTR big game (deep 6 max) - 3 hands

Default FTR big game (deep 6 max) - 3 hands

Yesterday a few of us had a home game on PS in the format of the Big Game - 6 max, 250bb deep, 20% antes. Thanks to everyone that helped me out by participating!

In these hands, it is assumed that courtiebee can't reload once she's busto but everyone else can. Also, preflop is pot limit.

I couldn't find a hand converter that would convert these properly. Sorry!

Edit: added some reads.

1) Villain had 3-bet a few times IP vs me but he hasn't played a lot of pots with me OOP. Do I need to just call on the river?

Seat 1: reDZill4 ($23.78 in chips)
    Seat 2: poofase ($75 in chips)
    Seat 3: AvatarKava ($24.54 in chips)
    Seat 4: courtiebee ($24.09 in chips)
    Seat 5: da_vendetta ($25.30 in chips)
    Seat 6: D4rkCha0s ($59.24 in chips)
    da_vendetta: posts small blind $0.05
    D4rkCha0s: posts big blind $0.10
    reDZill4: posts the ante $0.02
    poofase: posts the ante $0.02
    AvatarKava: posts the ante $0.02
    courtiebee: posts the ante $0.02
    da_vendetta: posts the ante $0.02
    D4rkCha0s: posts the ante $0.02
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to courtiebee [8s Qs]
    reDZill4: folds
    poofase: folds
    courtiebee: raises $0.20 to $0.30
    da_vendetta: calls $0.25
    D4rkCha0s: folds
    *** FLOP *** [6h 8c 3s]
    da_vendetta: checks
    courtiebee: bets $0.40
    da_vendetta: calls $0.40
    *** TURN *** [6h 8c 3s] [8h]
    da_vendetta: checks
    courtiebee: bets $0.80
    da_vendetta: calls $0.80
    *** RIVER *** [6h 8c 3s 8h] [As]
    da_vendetta: bets $2
    courtiebee:

2) There's been lots of 3-betting and 4-betting preflop, so I was surprised to see so many flats preflop. Same goes post flop although the fact that I was in the pot might have slowed everyone down because this was probably my first multi-way post flop hand. Is there a better way to play this on any street?

Seat 1: reDZill4 ($25.08 in chips)
    Seat 2: poofase ($75.72 in chips)
    Seat 4: courtiebee ($22.83 in chips)
    Seat 5: da_vendetta ($20.86 in chips)
    Seat 6: D4rkCha0s ($55.69 in chips)
    poofase: posts small blind $0.05
    courtiebee: posts big blind $0.10
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to courtiebee [7d 6d]
    da_vendetta: raises $0.20 to $0.30
    D4rkCha0s: calls $0.30
    poofase: calls $0.25
    courtiebee: calls $0.20
    *** FLOP *** [Qd 8c 9d]
    poofase: checks
    courtiebee: checks
    da_vendetta: bets $1
    D4rkCha0s: calls $1
    poofase: folds
    courtiebee: calls $1
    *** TURN *** [Qd 8c 9d] [8d]
    da_vendetta: bets $2.90
    D4rkCha0s: calls $2.90
    courtiebee: calls $2.90
    *** RIVER *** [Qd 8c 9d 8d] [2s]

3) I haven't been playing many pots and I haven't been 3-betting much. I am really confused about what to do with AK preflop. Thoughts? I would be even more confused if I were OOP.

Seat 1: reDZill4 ($23.51 in chips)
    Seat 2: poofase ($73.84 in chips)
    Seat 3: AvatarKava ($24 in chips)
    Seat 4: courtiebee ($26.71 in chips)
    Seat 5: da_vendetta ($25.40 in chips)
    Seat 6: D4rkCha0s ($62.65 in chips)
    da_vendetta: posts small blind $0.05
    D4rkCha0s: posts big blind $0.10
    AvatarKava: posts the ante $0.02
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to courtiebee [Ks Ad]
    poofase: raises $0.20 to $0.30
    courtiebee: raises $0.70 to $1
    da_vendetta: folds
    D4rkCha0s: folds
    poofase: raises $1.80 to $2.80
    courtiebee: calls $1.80
    *** FLOP *** [3h 2h 4s]
    poofase: bets $2.80
    courtiebee: calls $2.80
    *** TURN *** [3h 2h 4s] [6h]
    poofase: bets $7.70
    courtiebee: folds
    Last edited by donkbee; 02-14-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    Some reads on the players would be helpful as I'm sure there's a dynamic in these games and you aren't just playing your hands in a vacuum.
    Quote Originally Posted by meeloche View Post
    Some reads on the players would be helpful as I'm sure there's a dynamic in these games and you aren't just playing your hands in a vacuum.
    yeah not sure why I didn't include any information. Thanks!
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

Hand 1
    -I would raise this river, I don't expect him to shove worse 8x on us but he will call them

Hand 2
    -If you're facing a bet and a raise definitely fold. If you're facing a bet and a call it's close. If you're facing just a bet its still closeish. Definitely not raising, sometimes c/c, but I think you played it fine.

Hand 3
    -man with the way the game was going, AK is the super nuts. Your image at the time was more weak/tight than nit/strong range. Can definitely be 4betting bs here. I'm also tempted to raise this flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Hand 3
    -man with the way the game was going, AK is the super nuts. Your image at the time was more weak/tight than nit/strong range. Can definitely be 4betting bs here. I'm also tempted to raise this flop.
    While I don't really doubt that I have the best hand pf, I am not sure what to do with it? I think I'm scared of bloating pots preflop and then having no idea what to do post flop once I whiff.

hand 1 - Q8s - raise it up I like $6. Villain will have a tough spot with Ax, will call worse 8x and won't be 3b bluffing ever here.

hand 2 - sick spot. I mean villain has Adx, AQ, AA, KdK, QQ, 88, 99, 89, JdJ, TJs right? Turn is really close when he keeps betting, especially after that nit calls in position, river 2s changes nothing and you probably have to just check-call river vs a bet, and check fold if there is heaps of action.

hand 3 - preflop is a weird spot.
    1. $7/fold. Just call if you are up a lot.
    2. Flop raise ALL IN!
    3. Good hand to gambol with if you need to.
    I couldn't find a hand converter that would convert these properly. Sorry!
    no worries. I wasn't kidding in the other thread when I said that I think raw HHs, at least the clear ones like stars, are easier to read unconverted.

1) Villain had 3-bet a few times IP vs me but he hasn't played a lot of pots with me OOP. Do I need to just call on the river?
    I think this has to be a raise on the river (fold to 3-bet) minus some crazy dynamic. Hands we lose to are A8s and slowplayed 33/66 and possibly AA. Most/all should be somewhat discounted in weighted ranges for various reasons, plus if he gets to the river with those hands his call oop, c/c c/c range is pretty wide.

If he shoves on you or similar after then you just have to give him credit because it would be a suicidal place to bluff honestly.

2) There's been lots of 3-betting and 4-betting preflop, so I was surprised to see so many flats preflop. Same goes post flop although the fact that I was in the pot might have slowed everyone down because this was probably my first multi-way post flop hand. Is there a better way to play this on any street?
    Flop is an intuitive raise with such a 'strong' draw and so much dead money in the pot, but calling is probably better. The specific board texture, stack sizes, and the fact that it's a multi-way pot make this a much weaker draw than an OESD+FD would typically imply. All-in equity looks probably something like 35% (guess) vs 1 player and far worse vs varying combinations of made hands + draws in a multi-way all-in. I think it's played well all-around; maybe try to spike the jesus card () on the river.

Also just to clarify, I haven't taken into consideration the fact that you aren't able to rebuy. If simply maintaining your stack has value then favoring lower variance plays is a very real consideration, even if it usually isn't in cash games.

3) I haven't been playing many pots and I haven't been 3-betting much. I am really confused about what to do with AK preflop. Thoughts? I would be even more confused if I were OOP.
    Before you 3-bet a hand you should have a very clear idea as to how you will proceed against a 4-bet. (note: I'll add that sometimes you get 4-bet to a very non-standard size, someone cold 4-bets, or something else strange happens or whatever where what I said doesn't necessarily apply but none appear to be the case in this hand).

Without much history I think preflop is fine given stacks sizes and it's my preferred way to play it.

I would also spend some time thinking about opening raise sizes. My preference is to open a bit larger in a game with antes, perhaps 4x instead of 3x or something of the sorts and I think you will see a lot of that. Button 3x is fine though; it compares somewhat to a min-raise in a game without blinds.
    im sucha nit
    id raise/call hand 1. you can raise fold if for some reason you think this person is totally incapable of bluffraising

bet or checkraise or whatever in hand 2 but definitely be aggro, especially trying to make the pot hu. this deep you want to make sure you dont get str8 over str8 or flush over flush and you can also get a lot of folds from hands as strong as KQ QJ

hand 3 preflop flat is fine i guess. float flop usually. def fold turn
    I got more flava than fruitstripe gum
    Quote Originally Posted by sauce123 View Post
    id raise/call hand 1. you can raise fold if for some reason you think this person is totally incapable of bluffraising
    it looks like the line v took here would make it relatively difficult to have air, so it would be turning a made hand into a bluff should they 3bet over the top on the river and with what hand that takes this line would it make more sense to 3bet over vs. call her raise? not to mention cbee has way more nutted hands in her range than v. also his river leading sizing is food for thought.