Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 309 of 420 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 23,101 to 23,175 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Nirvana were awesome, Nevermind was their worst album by a distance. Fuck knows why that was the popular one. Most grunge is indeed shit though. The good stuff resembles punk more than grunge. Problem with grunge is it gets a bit slash-your-wrists, rather than fuck-the-system.
    Your first sentence makes me lol. #hipsteringsohard
    LOL OPERATIONS
    haha me a hipster? You have no idea how funny that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm curious bigred... I would have said the same thing 15 years ago before "hipster" was a term... what would you have called me back then?
    ongies gonna ong
    Who here likes coffee?

*everyone but ong - "me me me i like coffee"
    *ong - "i like tea, fuck coffee"
    *bigred - "HIPSTER ALERT"
    ongies gonna ong
    what would you have called me back then?
    Poser
    The funny thing is, I bet bigred is much more trendy than I am. I still wear skateboarder hoodies from 20 years ago.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Poser
    I think we used the word "trendy" until "hipster" came along; "poser" was a word we'd call vain people who think they look fucking amazing in photographs.
    ongies gonna ong
    Hipster has been a term since at least the 90's.

Back then, poser was used by skaters and punks to describe other teens who seemed to be pretending at their social status.

Disclaimer: in my high school
    I only started hearing the word "hipster" in the last ten years or so.

Back then, poser was used by skaters and punks to describe other teens who seemed to be pretending at their social status.
    This definition could *almost" catch me... I was hanging around with the skaters, wearing skater hoodies and combats, but I wasn't a skater. I mean I tried, but I wasn't very good, and couldn't really be bothered. So I just went to the parties.

I don't think I was "posing". I never pretended to be a skater. I "pretended" to be a stoner, and it didn't take much pretending. Noone ever accused me of trying to be something I'm not. That's because I never tried to be anything lol.
    ongies gonna ong
    Maybe we have different understandings of "hipster" then. I tend to think of them as people dressing up as things they aren't.

Like when I see teenagers today wearing t shirts with 8-bit Nintendo controllers. There's no way those kids are playing video games that became obsolete fifteen years before they were born. They just think 'retro is cool'.

"Poser" seems like it should still be apt.
    Like when I see teenagers today wearing t shirts with 8-bit Nintendo controllers. There's no way those kids are playing video games that became obsolete fifteen years before they were born. They just think 'retro is cool'.
    What's wrong with thinking something is cool?
    ongies gonna ong
    What's wrong with thinking something is cool?
    Nothing. But if you just think something is cool, because other people think it's cool, having never experienced that particular something yourself, then you're a poser.
    Nothing. But if you just think something is cool, because other people think it's cool, having never experienced that particular something yourself, then you're a poser.
    Right, in which case we're in agreement to what "poser" means.

I think in the case of retro games, well there's a certain artistic value to the images. It's ok to think it looks cool. That's simply appreciating art, in my book. But yeah, if it's because you see others wearing it, and you think "they look cool wearing that retro shirt, I want to look cool too" then we have ourselves a poser.
    ongies gonna ong
    Maybe we have different understandings of "hipster" then. I tend to think of them as people dressing up as things they aren't.

"Poser" seems like it should still be apt.
    A good deal of them are posers I'm sure, but don't forget that growing up with the internet makes it way easier for kids to explore things outside of their generation. There's been a couple of times where I've surprised people a generation older than me by liking more obscure (by which I mean not something obvious like Nirvana) music that they grew up with. They didn't grow up with instant access to all eras of music, whereas I would stay up night after night online finding new stuff from whatever decade. So it's possible that some of these kids sincerely love games, read about old great retro games, and emulated them, which isn't hard to do at all.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    There is also the fact that the boom of indie games which these kids do play was massively influenced by that exact time. Lots of these games share that aesthetic, make huge nods to the original games etc.
    Who here likes coffee?

*everyone but ong - "me me me i like coffee"
    *ong - "i like tea, fuck coffee"
    *bigred - "HIPSTER ALERT"
    I like coffee. I also like tea
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    I "pretended" to be a stoner, and it didn't take much pretending.
    Haha.
    Reminds me of a Richard Pryor bit about weed.

He pantomimes: Someone hits a joint and stifles a cough, then fails to stifle a cough, then coughs a bit and passes it to Richard.
    Richard does the same routine, but he's supposedly got the joint this time and says, from the other guy's perspective, something like, "You may look cool, but you ain't even hit it."

I'm probably butchering that bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Right.

So when did you join ISIS?
    Well you're just one of these cunts that thinks everything is cool, in a pathetic attempt to be liked. I bet you pretend to like Coldplay.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I'm probably butchering that bit.
    "probably"
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreymcfate View Post
    I would stay up night after night online finding new stuff from whatever decade.
    This sounds kinda poser-ish actually. Either you lived it, or you didn't.
    This sounds kinda cuntish, actually. Either you like it, or you don't.
    ongies gonna ong
    lol, really?
    lol, really?
    Yeah. I don't think you can connect with the music of Country Joe McDonald unless you lived through Vietnam. You can't appreciate "white rabbit" unless you've done LSD at least a few times. And you can't walk around with 8-bit NES t-shirts when you've never lived in an era where you had to blow into cartridges to make them work.

Posers
    Quote Originally Posted by banana
    You can't appreciate "white rabbit" unless you've done LSD at least a few times.
    How would you know? Are you a hypocrite?
    ongies gonna ong
    I probably listen to the Stooges the most.

Obviously I'm a poser, because I haven't even seen them, let alone been alive when they were at their peak.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah. I don't think you can connect with the music of Country Joe McDonald unless you lived through Vietnam. You can't appreciate "white rabbit" unless you've done LSD at least a few times. And you can't walk around with 8-bit NES t-shirts when you've never lived in an era where you had to blow into cartridges to make them work.

Posers
    there's definitely something to be said for the unique connection with music through its sociopolitical context, but that doesn't mean you're a poser for enjoying it on your own terms outside of that time. it doesn't completely lose its essence or effect just because someone found it decades later. by your logic no living person should listen to classical music ever again, lest they be ~posers~ lol, give me a break. music is eternal.

i do agree with the idea that certain lived experiences deepen the connection to certain art, like dropping acid to better understand psychedelic rock. calling people posers for not doing that though is just snobby.

to further clarify, listening to punk doesn't make you a poser. calling yourself a punk while having zero experience of that culture does. simply enjoying shit doesn't make you a poser.
    Last edited by aubreymcfate; 03-27-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    When I hear the song "1970" and he starts screaming "I FEEL ALRIIIIGHT" over and over again, I shouldn't think to myself "fuck me this is awesome", because that's the poser thing to think. I should think "this is good music, however it's older than I am and I must force myself to not like it too much because otherwise there might be some twat on the internet who thinks I'm a poser". That's the proper thing to think.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by aubrey
    i do agree with the idea that certain lived experiences deepen the connection to certain art, like dropping acid to better understand psychedelic rock. calling people posers for not doing that though is just snobby.
    I could say the same about a track by Future Sound of London, called Dead Skin Cells... it was the tune I remember hearing when I took DMT... noone has heard that tune like I have, so anyone who merely gets stoned to it and appreciates it is a poser, by banana's logic.

Seems somewhat arrogant to say that.
    ongies gonna ong
    by your logic no living person should listen to classical music ever again, lest they be ~posers~ lol, give me a break. music is eternal.
    Lol. Well, you can't really appreciate Beethoven unless you were alive back then, wearing a powdered wig, riding your horse and carriage to the symphony and listening by candlelight. Also you had to be deaf like LvB and not actually hearing the music but just feeling the vibrations.

Anyone who claims to enjoy it otherwise is just a poser. Fucking posers.
    I was feeling the vibrations of classical music before it was cool.
    ongies gonna ong
    I wonder if Beethoven had a subwoofer hooked up to his piano?
    I was feeling the vibrations of classical music before it was cool.
    ya but did you gouge your eardrums out so as to get the full experience or were you just a poser?
    How would you know? Are you a hypocrite?
    I don't see how doing LSD a few times would make me a hypocrite.
    there's definitely something to be said for the unique connection with music through its sociopolitical context,
    Exactly

but that doesn't mean you're a poser for enjoying it on your own terms outside of that time.
    It kinda does.

it doesn't completely lose its essence or effect just because someone found it decades later.
    Yes it does.

by your logic no living person should listen to classical music ever again,
    Right

music is eternal.
    Really? How many Elvis songs were in the top 40 this week?

Since when are facts snobby?

to further clarify, listening to punk doesn't make you a poser. calling yourself a punk while having zero experience of that culture does.
    And how many "punks" only connection to that culture is punk music? Alot. I rest my case.

simply enjoying shit doesn't make you a poser.
    We're not talking about simply enjoying shit. I have no problem if teenagers wanna play Metroid. But if you weren't playing it in a time where it was "shocking" to find out that Samus was a girl, then you have no business walking around in 2017 with a fucking NES t-shirt
    We're not talking about simply enjoying shit. I have no problem if teenagers wanna play Metroid. But if you weren't playing it in a time where it was "shocking" to find out that Samus was a girl, then you have no business walking around in 2017 with a fucking NES t-shirt
    You said that me exploring music online was poser-y, which is literally "simply enjoying shit," so that's what I was responding to. And in this post you again said "it kinda does" to me saying that enjoying music on your own terms doesn't make you a poser. So yes, that is what we're talking about.

The top 40 is not a barometer for the lasting effect of great music -- people are still enjoying Elvis's music to this day, along with pretty much every other great artist there ever was.

I don't agree about the shirt thing but w/e.
    You said that me exploring music online was poser-y, which is literally "simply enjoying shit,"
    Fine, but there is no need to take it a step further, and go around 'impressing' older people with your out-of-generation music knowledge.

Poser.

people are still enjoying Elvis's music to this day
    False
    Fine, but there is no need to take it a step further, and go around 'impressing' older people with your out-of-generation music knowledge.

Poser.

False
    We were talking about music and what we both liked -- should I have withheld all my tastes that predate my adolescence? I'm sorry, I should enjoy old music but never utter a word about it to anyone, because talking about music I love that's older than me makes me a poser? That makes no sense, lol. I grew up on classic rock, classical, and jazz because of my father, I'm not going to keep my mouth shut about it bc some curmudgeon thinks I should know my place. I like talking about music I enjoy, how is that a problem.

People of all ages still listen to classic rock and jazz and funk and soul and all that shit.
    Btw you're the one projecting this idea that i was trying to impress anyone. Why did you even put it in quotes?
    Well everyone else's bad day aside, I rediscovered Doctor Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog and I want you to rediscover it all over again too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of9kHpCv1ts
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    should I have withheld all my tastes that predate my adolescence?
    If it's your goal to avoid Posing....then yes

I should enjoy old music but never utter a word about it to anyone, because talking about music I love that's older than me makes me a poser?
    Yes.

That makes no sense, lol.
    Then you're an oblivious poser. One of the worst varieties of poser there is.

I grew up on classic rock, classical, and jazz because of my father,
    Bandwagon Poser

I'm not going to keep my mouth shut about it bc some curmudgeon thinks I should know my place.,
    Rebel poser

I like talking about music I enjoy, how is that a problem.
    It's not really a problem. It's poser-ish. Own it.

People Posers of all ages still listen to classic rock and jazz and funk and soul and all that shit.
    Fixed your post
    eh, you know what, you're totally right. thanks for the heads up <3
    I don't see how doing LSD a few times would make me a hypocrite.
    Are you in favour of criminalisation of drugs, in particular powerful psychadelics such as LSD?

Do you think that you shold be arrested for your past crimes?
    ongies gonna ong
    You're the best
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Are you in favour of criminalisation of drugs,
    Yes
    in particular powerful psychadelics such as LSD?
    Yes
    Do you think that you shold be arrested for your past crimes?
    No. It's called "statute of limitations". They had 3 months to bust me, now I'm untouchable.
    Yes

Yes

No. It's called "statute of limitations". They had 3 months to bust me, now I'm untouchable.
    lol

I mean if you took acid once, and thought "holy shit that's powerful, people shouldn't do that", then I won't accuse you of being a hypocrite. But here you are, not only admitting that you took it more than once, you're also glorifying it by saying that you can only appreciate certain music under its influence. Yet you sit there and say that those who take it should be deemed criminals.

It's also amusing that you're using law as it's written to dismiss the idea that you are responsible for your actions of the past. Why then do you think you can tell other nations how much their "fair share" is when it's not clearly stated in law how much they should contribute? Obligation? You have an obligation to hand yourself in to the police, admit your crime, and make a small donation to a drug charity.
    ongies gonna ong
    I mean if you took acid once, and thought "holy shit that's powerful, people shouldn't do that", then I won't accuse you of being a hypocrite.
    That is exactly what I thought. But then I also thought "but I'm not normal people, I can handle doing it a few more times"

But here you are, not only admitting that you took it more than once,
    Because I'm special, duh

you're also glorifying it by saying that you can only appreciate certain music under its influence.
    Just one song, sheesh

Yet you sit there and say that those who take it should be deemed criminals.
    Deeming someone a criminal is not a subjective question. People who commit crimes, are criminals.

It's also amusing that you're using law as it's written to dismiss the idea that you are responsible for your actions of the past
    I'm not denying responsibility, I'm just rejecting punishment. There's a difference.

Why then do you think you can tell other nations how much their "fair share" is
    Cause we hold all the cards and we can.

Obligation?
    Where did that word come from?

You have an obligation to hand yourself in to the police, admit your crime,
    Maybe during the first three months after I did it, you could say that. However, the statue of limitations is gone. That means the cops don't care. Turning myself in would be wasting police time. Which would be a worse crime than the acid I did 18 years ago.

and make a small donation to a drug charity
    You mean flush money down the toilet? No thanks
    Bite bite bite.
    At the very least banana the arch criminal should place himself under house arrest with no internet access for a few months to atone for his past crime. As much as we'd miss him, it's only fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    At the very least banana the arch criminal should place himself under house arrest with no internet access for a few months to atone for his past crime. As much as we'd miss him, it's only fair.
    Agreed, it's only fair.

What's also fair, is that my sentence be adjusted for the change in internet speeds. When I committed the crime, 28k modems were all the rage. So a few months off under those conditions is the 2017 equivalent of the time it will take me to go take a leak and come back.

See you soon.
    There....I feel rehabilitated
    At the very least banana the arch criminal
    more like court jester, the breakdown of poser categories was actually pretty funny
    more like court jester, the breakdown of poser categories was actually pretty funny
    You didn't seem to be laughing at the time.

You're probably one of those people who heard New Kids on the Block and thought "who are these fairies with pussy voices?". But then when everyone else started thinking they were cool, you did too.

backpedal poser
    how did you know
    Well you're just one of these cunts that thinks everything is cool, in a pathetic attempt to be liked. I bet you pretend to like Coldplay.
    Does this count?

'Cause I love that song

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Right.

So when did you join ISIS?

I usually would reply in jest, but in todays age of constant surveillance, spying, etc and whatnot, I think I am compelled to reply earnestly.

I have not joined and never will join up with loons

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    there's definitely something to be said for the unique connection with music through its sociopolitical context, but that doesn't mean you're a poser for enjoying it on your own terms outside of that time. it doesn't completely lose its essence or effect just because someone found it decades later. by your logic no living person should listen to classical music ever again, lest they be ~posers~ lol, give me a break. music is eternal.

to further clarify, listening to punk doesn't make you a poser. calling yourself a punk while having zero experience of that culture does. simply enjoying shit doesn't make you a poser.
    Forgive banana, he's binary

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I usually would reply in jest, but in todays age of constant surveillance, spying, etc and whatnot, I think I am compelled to reply earnestly.

Smart thinking Jack, you don't want to get the guy in your avatar arrested.
    Oh, and mostly a troll

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Smart thinking Jack, you don't want to get the guy in your avatar arrested.
    He's on a one-way trip to Mars. 'Cause he doesn't give a fuck.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!

Is that not exactly what you would say if you were in ISIS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Most of them get caught when they slip a few allah akbars in there. Jack is too wise for that.
    Oh, and mostly a troll
    All good, sometimes hyper defensive yutes need a little bit of trolling
    Does this count?

'Cause I love that song
    This is making me cry. It's rather obvious how much I hate Coldplay, this fucking song in particular, but I love BVSC. This is like watching Debbie Harry fuck a horse.
    ongies gonna ong
    the breakdown of poser categories was actually pretty funny
    I lolled through the whole post.

If that wasn't meant to be comedic gold, he stumbled onto something brilliant.
    Otherwise, credit where it's due.

LOL priceless Coldplay song
    :/

If I were you, I'd double-check the timing on your statute of limitations fact.
    I've never heard of anything as short as months, but it varies widely from state to state and from crime to crime.

I mean.. clearly you are special and are above this law.
    There's probably an "except for banana" amendment in your state's constitution, even.

So maybe not knowing the law is OK for you.

Still... I doubt your 3 month value as applies to other people kinda nearish to you.
    All good, sometimes hyper defensive yutes need a little bit of trolling
    If I were you, I'd double-check the timing on your statute of limitations fact.
    I've never heard of anything as short as months, but it varies widely from state to state and from crime to crime.
    http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...mitations.html

New Hampshire/ Misdemeanor, 3 months. I might be reading that wrong, it may be a year, but in any event I'm way past it. But, this does prove there is such a thing as a 3 month statute of limitations. Thanks, I always enjoy an opportunity to be right.

I mean.. clearly you are special and are above this law.
    You're just figuring this out?

There's probably an "except for banana" amendment in your state's constitution, even
    I made them refer to me as "Mr. Stand"

So maybe not knowing the law is OK for you.
    Huh? I knew acid was illegal, and I did it anyway. Rebel poser!
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post

He dodged the question.

Red Flags all over that post.
    Probably best to just consider yourself surveilled, now.
    http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...mitations.html

New Hampshire/ Misdemeanor, 3 months. I might be reading that wrong, it may be a year, but in any event I'm way past it. But, this does prove there is such a thing as a 3 month statute of limitations. Thanks, I always enjoy an opportunity to be right.
    Cool. I learned something, too.
    Now I want to watch, "My Cousin Vinny"
    My cousin Aubrey.