Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 277 of 420 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377 ... LastLast
Results 20,701 to 20,775 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    This is something that kinda bugs me about physics students, actually.

They hold the mistaken conception that their books and professors know True things, and that their role as a student is to memorize these things. To the extent that their grade depends on learning what the book/professor are telling them, this makes some kind of sense. Add in that they are barely adults - just beginning to enter a world outside the loving shelter of their parents - and you see their motivation to blindly trust authority figures.

However, books and professors are not gifted with any power to divine Truths. They are just as fallible as any source of information. Trusting in their methods is only good for a layman's understanding of some of the techniques. It's when you understand that the complex methods are built out of simple assumptions that you see the power and limitations of what you've learned.

I mean... math books have typos, too. Sometimes it's those typos that slow me to a stop and force me to derive something. It's my active involvement in connecting what I think I understand with this new information which is the real learning. Sussing out that the typo is a false statement is indicative of the whole point of learning the theories and methods in play.

The more theory you know, the less of the derivative stuff you need to memorize, and the more you can figure out on your own - from more simple assumptions, no less.
    Interesting point. It is possible I disagree with this (assuming I understand where you're coming from). I have batted around the idea -- it's where my position currently is -- that all undergraduate-and-below education should be geared towards the idea that things are known by academics and those things are imparted to students. It is at graduate and post-grad level that the students begin to add to the total knowledge of academia, and thus they should do more than just learn what is already known. I tend to disagree with instructors trying to get students to give assessment of what they think about a topic until after they already can pull from a barrel of knowledge that the field considers consensus. For example, in my principles of macroeconomics class, our professor often asked us to say how we thought a certain factor would affect other factors. I think this is a waste of time. I need to be told to memorize and apply what the professor already knows about the factors and their effects, and after I've done that I can then impart my own wisdom or lack thereof to the topic.
    I think we just move too quickly, so we learn less than by going slow. Students hardly have any time to understand and reflect on a cool principle before the next is thrown at them. We should take the time to appreciate that these things we are learning, they are the product of years upon years of study. We have the luxury of learning them all at once right now, but by doing so we diminish their value.

@science, this would better inform students about how we are just approximating...creating formula that seem to work well up to a certain accuracy in prime conditions. And that there are many things we still do not know.

@math: we could see these things for what they are. Go through the failures of past mathematicians, and understand why the current solution is of such benefit.
    Rain of Balls

A demonstration to show that a series of impulses is quite similar to application of a constant force.
    This is broadly demonstrative of air pressure, as well.

A tube filled with bearing balls is fed via a screw into a dropper so that the balls fall at a constant rate. They fall onto a mechanical balance from a height of 1 meter. A laser is reflected off of the balance and calibrated so that the scale in the background represents grams.

That pony-tailed nerd is me.
    you look like an ex-hippie youth group leader of a non-denominational evangelical church who calls everybody "brother".
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    you look like an ex-hippie youth group leader of a non-denominational evangelical church who calls everybody "brother".
    You spelled sexy wrong.

EDIT: like, a hundred times.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 03-17-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    Well, I'm getting married next year.
    Hey, congrats!
    Has anyone ever painted a sphere?
    As in: applied paint to a sphere so that the sphere was a new color.
    I tried to google it, but it's all tips on how to use paint on a 2D canvas to create the illusion of a sphere. Not the same at all.

I imagine it's a tricky project to get done w/o blotches and streaks.
    Any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Well, I'm getting married next year.
    Here's a question I've never asked someone who says they're getting married...

To just one or both?
    ongies gonna ong
    A demonstration to show that a series of impulses is quite similar to application of a constant force.
    Often, when my housemates get back from work, they open the front door (inwards), which in turn causes a shift in the air pressure in the house, which travels upstairs and causes my bedroom door to slowly creak open. Is this similar to what's described here?
    ongies gonna ong
    Has anyone ever painted a sphere?
    As in: applied paint to a sphere so that the sphere was a new color.
    I tried to google it, but it's all tips on how to use paint on a 2D canvas to create the illusion of a sphere. Not the same at all.

I imagine it's a tricky project to get done w/o blotches and streaks.
    Any tips?
    I would probably dip the sphere in paint, place it in a ring, and let it drip dry. There will be imperfections at the bottom and where the ball is in contact with the ring, but it will be relatively easy to sort out after it's dry, rather than having to inspect the entire sphere.
    ongies gonna ong
    apparently ong died. rip in peace.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...m_content=link
    haha I don't use deodorant! Waste of fucking money. I'm lazy for sure but I actually like bathing, I mean what's not to like about soaking in hot bubbly water while smoking a spliff?
    ongies gonna ong
    i need a spliff
    the only time ive been getting high lately is when i see my brother, but his vape is broke or some shit because i have a hard time getting much out of it. he probably buys really light "calm you down" stuff too.
    I buy the blow-your-head-off skunk that the media would have the masses believe is responsible for massacres.
    ongies gonna ong
    Any man I've shared a house with finds it odd that I add shower gel to my bath, like it's somehow a girly thing to do. Forgive me for liking bubbles.
    ongies gonna ong
    Lot of my gay friends do too, I don't see what the big deal is
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    Lot of my gay friends do too, I don't see what the big deal is
    haha

I bet they don't simply squirt a bit of shower gel in their bath though, the same gel used for washing body and hair. I bet they have bubble bath, bodywash, shampoo and conditioner. At least. Probably other stuff that I'm not even aware exists. Like stuff for cleaning pubes.
    ongies gonna ong
    you mean soap?
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    you mean soap?

"pube in soap" - there's a google image search I didn't expect to ever make.
    ongies gonna ong
    The student was looking forward to a career in shoeing and trimming horses' hooves.

The article had a really even downer tone throughout, then it just took an absolute and unexpected nosedive with this closing sentence.
    Not the best use of the term "looking forward to..."

I'm looking forward to my next cold.
    ongies gonna ong
    That's not a bad job to have. First of all it's a profession that has barely changed in the past 1000 years. That's interesting by itself. You're your own boss. You get to work with hammers and hot metal. You watch the girls wash a horse dick while you pound some iron. I don't even like horses but I could see myself doing that.
    You watch the girls wash a horse dick while [...]
    What now?

srsly

What are you talking about?

I've never heard of this procedure in equestrian care, before.

Not that I'm any kind of authority on horses or anything... but is this activity more for you or the horse?
    I heard a lovely story the other day about a farmer lady who has a horse, and she cleans the batter off its dick one a year, at Christmas of all times.

So yeah, the washing of horse dick is a thing, I believe. Farmers love their animals.
    ongies gonna ong
    The real question is who is the weirdo with that psychotic Christmas tradition?

I can think of like a thousand more appetizing uses of batter.

Which is not to imply that battered horse cock is #1,001 on my appetizers list.

You would have found out eventually, but I didn't mean for it to come out like this.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard that it's a thing that you need to get the horse somewhat aroused so you can clean it properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_sheath_cleaning

Seems to back this up somewhat.

Thinking about it I think I saw it on a comedy panel show so that point was probably stressed more than it actually applies.
    You have to legit wash horse dicks by hand. Not joking.
    I may just be the worst person at math theory ever. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, could be, you never know, absolutely, definitely, unquestionably, emphatically, mercilessly.

So I told one of my advisors that the reason I chose to major in math is that it's the thing I'm the worst at in the world and since a chain always breaks at its weakest links I should do my best to strengthen my mathematics. She laughed and said "that sounds so terrible!" Why didn't I think of that? Why didn't I think "hey maybe you should major in something you're gangster at and love to study *cough* economics *cough* instead of something you loathe and beats you down like a red-headed stepchild?"

Here's an equation for youse: wufwugy+modus operandi=self flaggelation+dumbass
    inb4 mmm posts

wufwugy=dumbass
    Once you realize that modus operandi = self flaggelation, you can cancel them both, and you'll see that

Oh...

And here I thought you were bad at math.

The real question is who is the weirdo with that psychotic Christmas tradition?
    There might be a logical reason for it that's eluding me, but yeah, I found this point particularly amusing. Like, it's something to look forward to. Snow, mince pies, presents, and washing of horse cock. Yay for Christmas.
    ongies gonna ong

I want more of this guy.
    Apparently Adult Swim is on that:

Edit: Actually his old material is rough, but he's also very young.
    Last edited by oskar; 03-22-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    Makes me want to dig up old Bob Newheart stand-up.

or maybe Steven Wright.
    buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...sex-robot-wit/

Turing test passed with flying colors imho.
    Turing test already passed, BTW.

It turns out faking a petulant teenager who wont follow your train of thought is pretty easy for computers.
    Turns out Wal-Mart online customer service chat is actually helpful.

I was going to place an order through their online site for some items for my job. I decided against it, and needed to remove my personal info from their system. It took less than 10 minutes and the customer service rep was professional.

I was steeled for a frustrating event, but it went quite smoothly.

How mad is this world that a non-hellish conversation with customer service is worth mentioning?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...sex-robot-wit/

Turing test passed with flying colors imho.
    I was looking at this earlier, some of the tweets were hillarious. This link has some better examples

http://uk.businessinsider.com/micros...bot-tay-2016-3

What made me laugh the most was the #KKK
    Frederick Douglass on his master: "The man who robs me of my earnings at the end of each week".
    I'm on the fucking floor.

And what is going on with all the fake outrage. Who's seriously upset about this?
    How mad is this world that a non-hellish conversation with customer service is worth mentioning?
    Customer service is like any other product. When cheap, shitty [product] does the job well enough, that's what you get. It's not sacred just because it's human interaction.
    There's an entire subreddit for this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/tay_tweets
    There's an entire subreddit for this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/tay_tweets
    As ever with reddit: I don't know what that is, and it really seems like it's not worth caring about... or worth not caring about... hard to tell.
    Microsoft made a chat bot that learns from conversations rather than working on set patterns. Those were its tweets before they shut it down after only about 24h.

Reddit is only as good as the subreddits you're subscribed to. Some are absolutely great.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totallynotrobots
    Last edited by oskar; 03-24-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    Microsoft made a chat bot that learns from conversations rather than working on set patterns. Those were its tweets before they shut it down after only about 24h.
    I get the story.

I don't get the appeal of reddit.
    or why people would latch onto such an apocryphal source of information as reddit
    or why reddit is hailed as the "front page of the internet" when it seems like any other general topics forum
    or why I should care in the slightest about what really seems to be no different than the comments section on YouTube, but without the YouTube.
    Well for this kind of thing it's perfect. You create the subreddit, have people post and filter content themselves. Open forums aren't great once they reach a certain population. The shit to content ratio is too high, so you need a quick and fair way to filter, and I think reddit does that quite well.
    I like browsing reddit, but it's only slightly better than browsing something like buzzfeed.

But, their politics subreddit is way too bernie for me, and I'm very pro-bernie
    r/politics epitomizes the "does it feel good" political attribute, contrasted to the "does it do good" one ofc.
    Any reddit with emotional elements is like that, regardless of how academic it's supposed to be. Like economics. r/economics is a waste bin of nonsense by people who know less about economics than your average paper cup. You have to go to r/badeconomics to find people with education and training discuss economics, and it pretty much revolves around detailing the mistakes made in posts of the other economics subreddits.
    people who know less about economics than your average paper cup
    Wow.

Racist.
    i literalol'd.
    Quora is a great alternative to reddit in that it's always fresh and novel.

It's the aristocratic web forum where everyone puts on airs of intelligence.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    But does it have dank memes?
    Next level shitposters like you wouldn't believe.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Guy hijacks a plane in Egypt and forces it to Cyprus, where he wants to talk to his wife.

I think Trump should promise to ban ex-husbands from America.

I mean look how terrified he made his fellow passengers...

ongies gonna ong
    A fun commentary on the state of American censorship.

Kinda worth it.
    Is that guy funny in America? Because he's annoying the fuck out of me with his relentless bad jokes.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Is that guy funny in America? Because he's annoying the fuck out of me with his relentless bad jokes.
    How and why his ratings tanked when he took over from David Letterman (one of the greats of late night TV in the US): http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/12/30...tephen-colbert
    Even I've heard of Letterman.

So politics is hurting his ratings? I can't imagine that him being a shit presenter is helping his cause, either.
    ongies gonna ong
    He was amazing as the uberAmerican Stephen Colbert. It was just like when The Rock became Dwayne Johnson. Sure I still like him, but it's like giving up a superpower.
    He's one of the most recognizable comedians in America, I'd guess.

Good luck finding someone here who couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

I'm not saying everyone thinks he's funny, but I'd be surprised if someone had no idea who he is, or that he's a comedian.
    Even I've heard of Letterman.

So politics is hurting his ratings? I can't imagine that him being a shit presenter is helping his cause, either.
    His problem is that he's extremely geared towards one demographic and took over a show where the demographic was more or less on the complete opposite end of the political (and age) spectrum. He made little to no attempt to adjust his material for any transitional period.
    And the prior demographic didnt follow. I used to watch Colbert Report all the time, I've yet to see an episode of his Late Show.

I watch John Oliver instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    And the prior demographic didnt follow. I used to watch Colbert Report all the time, I've yet to see an episode of his Late Show.

I watch John Oliver instead.
    Same here. I miss the Colbert Report.
    Maybe it's the style? I don't mean his ultra liberal show, but the late night shtick everyone seems to do. First you gotta stans and do some zingers, then comment to the band in the corner, then after all this boring muck you finally get to something good...but it wasn't worth the wait.

Or at least that's how I felt about most of the late shows. I assume colbert is the same.
    I like watching Seth Meyers now. I usually turn it off after the first segment or two (unless he has a guest I really want to see), but I like the opening segment on the show. After the 30-second opening credits, it moves straight to him covering the news at his desk. It's more "Weekend Update" instead of the usual late night talk show routine.
    I'm back into The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. His supporting cast is real weak, but he's soft hitting a lot of good stuff.

Still miss The Colbert Report.
    FTR has fed me some great books to read and I just finished a fresh recommend from one you and I actually have no backlog.

What books should I be reading?

I prefer nonfiction, but I will accept extraordinary fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    FTR has fed me some great books to read and I just finished a fresh recommend from one you and I actually have no backlog.

What books should I be reading?

I prefer nonfiction, but I will accept extraordinary fiction.
    Schwarzenegger's autobiography is absolutely amazing if you haven't read it.
    I guess non-fiction is hard to recommend. Denial of Death is funnier than it sounds. Anything by Christopher Hitchens that you could be interested in. Same for Richard Dawkins: Climbing Mount Improbable, The Selfish Gene... I like the writing style of those two so much that I dont even care about the subject. QED by Richard Feynman: if you could read that and then explain it to me, that would be great.