Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 241 of 420 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341 ... LastLast
Results 18,001 to 18,075 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Only if you cherry pick. Your link is propaganda.
    Not a fan of alternet either, but why do you say this?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Not a fan of alternet either, but why do you say this?
    It's the only logical conclusion when someone tries to assert something with no real evidence that flies in the face of basic biology: "information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view."

It's just more of trying to push this notion that men and women are equal (ie: the same).
    ongies gonna ong
    Damn, just missing one sentence about how "With your gifts, you could change the world."
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Your momma so fat...
    the only way she can lose weight is through Hawking Radiation.

Since this thread is dead, I'll inject some life into it with a lively discussion like I often do.

I read an argument this morning as to why men should not date girls who claim to have been raped.

The general line of thought was that the current state of society provides strong incentives to a lot of females to falsely claim to have been raped without there being any real down side, and a large portion of men refusing to date girls of this category would provide such a disincentive.

Other disincentives are possible. One would be for charges to be pressed against women who make false rape accusations regularly (unlike now when they rarely are). But that's not going to happen because of the idea that it would prevent real rape victims from coming forward, though this particular line of logic is shaky at best since it shows a lack of understanding that real rape victims would gain tremendously from this type of enforcement as well.
    We could just go back to a time when evidence was required to convict people of rape.
    We could just go back to a time when evidence was required to convict people of rape.
    Now you're talking silly. The onus is on the accused to prove consent now. This is not a joke. It's becoming law in the UK and the United States right now.

Related article: http://time.com/3222176/campus-rape-...yes-means-yes/
    I want to point out that this is why the soft harem concept is out of date at this point. It exposes you to too much risk for a rape charge.
    Is it wrong that I absolutely love Taylor Swift, Sara Bareilles, and Ingrid Michaelson?

Call me a 12 year old girl but that shit's my jam.
    Is it wrong that I absolutely love Taylor Swift, Sara Bareilles, and Ingrid Michaelson?

Call me a 12 year old girl but that shit's my jam.
    Is Taylor Swift a Misogynist?
    Gay.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    This thread is now about awesome videos from youtube.

omg the guy who makes a scene. my new hero.
    Watching white dudes with gelled hair and Aeropostale shirts have alleged rap battles makes me really uncomfortable and embarrassed for them.
    Watching white dudes with gelled hair and Aeropostale shirts have alleged rap battles makes me really uncomfortable and embarrassed for them.
    Don't move to Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Which one is Alberta again? Was Rob Ford mayor of there?
    omg the guy who makes a scene. my new hero.
    I legit can't get over so much of that video- His scene being one of many. Truly this is the best time to be alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    Don't move to Alberta.
    I'm insane when I spit game,
    Then I dump 'em and flush 'em like shit stains.
    Was that Weird Al Yankovic? I think he rapped that.
    Alright, I'll be a less of a dick now

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Which one is Alberta again? Was Rob Ford mayor of there?
    Let me translate into Americanese:

Alberta (Texas of Canada, oil and shit) is a province (state) in western (left side of the map) Canada (that big country above you). Rob Ford (numb nut crackhead) was of mayor (supreme ruler of city) of Toronto (city) in eastern (right side of the map) Canada.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    It is confusing that "state" meant "country" up until the US came along. In world news, I sometimes come across the word "state" and I have to remember that they mean "nation". Or whatever. From the outside, they are all the same to me: country, nation, kingdom, empire. OK, they're fairly synonymous to me. I know there are internal differences about the flow of information and control or political power.

I feel like the founding fathers were sticking it to Europe with the whole "United States" business. Like, look at all you clumsy states that war with each other and are dumb. We have all these states, but we're united. You mad, bros?

The reality is that the US states are really more like provinces, with any practical differences being mostly semantic at the user level. It's not like Missouri is acting like a nation on the world stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    It is confusing that "state" meant "country" up until the US came along.
    It originates from the fact that the states were originally meant to have more power than the federal government. At the time of the founding fathers, people would identify first with the state they were from and then for being from the United States as a whole. The constitution has been shot to shit though, so that's no longer the case.

This is also why succession is legal and why the civil war began with an illegal attack on the CSA by the USA, though it's not fashionable to say so at this point.

The reality is that the US states are really more like provinces, with any practical differences being mostly semantic at the user level. It's not like Missouri is acting like a nation on the world stage.
    This is definitely the case today. The power of the states has been lowered a significant amount, and the power of the federal government has been increased an incredible amount, etc.
    For the longest time, the federation wasn't exactly a state and we said "these united states" instead of "the United States".

Left-wing liberalism (as opposed to classical liberalism), has gradually won the political battle in the US over the decades and centuries. The federal government has just been getting stronger and stronger. We've let the superb theory of a network of free trade and free migration states get overrun by the disastrous theory of a unitary state.
    The view by the secluded mountain house I'm staying in right now: https://scontent-lax1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=55666D29

It's on land that native americans used to live on (there are petroglyphs around here that I'm dying to see next time we go hiking). So awesome to actually see firsthand the vast expanse of land and sky that native americans and european settlers experienced back then. This sort of view may not be a big deal for some of you, but for an urban dweller like myself it's dizzying and sublime. And right in my backyard.

(oh yeah, if anyone is a tool and/or alex grey fan, you might appreciate this)
    Last edited by aubreymcfate; 05-26-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreymcfate View Post
    It's on land that native americans used to live on
    Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere, you mean?
    Aren't you a New York gal? Wasn't that prime Native American real estate?
    Back before it was New Amsterdam... or New Orange, even?
    /troll

Epic view is epic.

(oh yeah, if anyone is a tool and/or alex grey fan, you might appreciate this)
    Is that yours? Alex Grey autograph is wow.
    If so, I'm jealous.
    If not, cool pic. I guess.
    Here's a simple test to prove that feminism is about advancing the interests of women and not about equality:

Name one thing that feminists have done to directly improve the lives of men at a cost for women.
    LONG LIVE THE PATRIARCHY!!!
    Amen!
    Feminism is a construction of the patriarchy designed to serve the patriarchy.

Edit: I need to find something else to go on and on about. I'm getting bored with feminism. It feels like I'm picking on a defenseless child.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 05-28-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    It feels like I'm picking on a defenseless child.
    -.-
    You mean it's really fun, and strangely rewarding, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post

I laughed out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere, you mean?
    Aren't you a New York gal? Wasn't that prime Native American real estate?
    Back before it was New Amsterdam... or New Orange, even?
    /troll

Epic view is epic.

Is that yours? Alex Grey autograph is wow.
    If so, I'm jealous.
    If not, cool pic. I guess.

The vinyl is mine and my boyfriend's. Alex and Allyson were doing an book event here at the ranch I'm staying at (it's kind of complicated to explain and I don't feel like getting too into the details, but the very short story is this is where the Biosphere 2/Institute of Ecotechnics folks are based and there's all sorts of different projects going on here). I got to pick Alex and Allyson up from the airport and hang out with them a decent amount, so having Alex sign that beautiful vinyl was just the material icing on top of the cake.

The real delight was listening to that album on the audiophile's dream of a sound system we have set up at the house.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    The vinyl is mine and my boyfriend's. Alex and Allyson were doing an book event here at the ranch I'm staying at (it's kind of complicated to explain and I don't feel like getting too into the details, but the very short story is this is where the Biosphere 2/Institute of Ecotechnics folks are based and there's all sorts of different projects going on here). I got to pick Alex and Allyson up from the airport and hang out with them a decent amount, so having Alex sign that beautiful vinyl was just the material icing on top of the cake.

The real delight was listening to that album on the audiophile's dream of a sound system we have set up at the house.
    OK. I'm more than a bit jealous, then.

Is he a space cadet? or is he actually a down to Earth guy?
    It seems like he'd have to be a bit mental to create such amazing and powerful artwork, but what do I know?
    Maynard is a vintner. Can't be much more down to Earth than that.
    I got this desk for $20 on Craigslist that retails for low/mid four figures, ship it holla. I've added a couple of things to make it more usable for me, and I felt like sharing here since we used to do those big balla setup threads.

Okay so this is how I normally work sitting down. My laptop is up on this black thing that goes across sitting on my desk so that it's lifted a little so I can use my wireless keyboard and mouse comfortably. It also lifts the screen up to eye level so it doesn't just destroy my neck. The thing the laptop is sitting on isn't attached to the desk, but it can only slide forward because it's the exact length of the inside of the hutch.

I keep this little thing in storage up above in the cabinet. It's made of the same shit as the piece my laptop is sitting on in the first picture, except it's shorter and has little feet.

This is a better picture of the thing and the little feet. You can also see the shitty spray paint job I did on it.

So the little thing stands on the bigger thing, and I slide the bigger thing out towards the front of the desk a bit. It's still stuck between the sides of the hutch, so it can't slide off sideways. I use the keyboard that's actually a part of my laptop when I'm standing, and I have my mouse to the side like this.
    The main take away message is to never pay for new, premium furniture.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    The main take away message is to never pay for new, premium furniture.
    Order it online

I mean I would probably buy more shit new than I do if I was ballin outta control. My couch would have been about $800-900 new, but I got it for $40 on CL because it needed a couple of internal repairs. I spent an hour on it, and now it sits as well (if not better) than it did originally.

I think looking for shit on there regularly + luck + having quick access to a truck + having the knowledge/means to do fairly simple repairs is the key to it.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 05-30-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    Name one thing that feminists have done to directly improve the lives of men at a cost for women.
    Blow jobs?
    ongies gonna ong
    No wait, sandwiches.
    ongies gonna ong
    They've actively decreased the frequency of both.
    Even this thread is making it hard to come back to FTR for regular visits. Where is the Random. Lukie would be sad
    Unchecked feminism has led to over 1,400 summons in New York for men sitting down "incorrectly"

http://rt.com/usa/263473-nyc-subway-...ading-arrests/
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Blow jobs?
    To be perfectly fair, casual sex. Although we can also attribute that to medicine, ie birth control, feminism has fought very hard to allow women to slut it up. This benefits men because they can fuck around all their life while it hurts women because they hit a wall when they turn 30 and then and then a hardcore wall at 40. Men in comparison peak in their 30s and don't hit their first wall until somewhere in their 40s. So men wouldn't have been able to fuck the large amount of women they can now without feminism, but that's a personal thing, for society as a whole it's not that great as reproduction plummets.

It also means modern women don't make good wives anymore. For comparison, I just got me a filipina gf less than two weeks ago. Last weekend she stayed over and the next day, first we went shopping, $800 of stuff for my appartment. Afterwards, while I spent many hours playing the new ps4 games I had bought, she spent them in the kitchen, cooking, cleaning, washing, doing laundry and (re)organizing everything. I didn't ask for this, she just does it. Then we fucked, we took a bath (she gave me a sponge bath), followed by a nice massage with the massage oil we just bought and a bj to top it off. Then she went home as she had to work early the next morning. You just can't find a european woman who'd do all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    To be perfectly fair, casual sex. Although we can also attribute that to medicine, ie birth control, feminism has fought very hard to allow women to slut it up. This benefits men because they can fuck around all their life while it hurts women because they hit a wall when they turn 30 and then and then a hardcore wall at 40. Men in comparison peak in their 30s and don't hit their first wall until somewhere in their 40s. So men wouldn't have been able to fuck the large amount of women they can now without feminism, but that's a personal thing, for society as a whole it's not that great as reproduction plummets.

It also means modern women don't make good wives anymore. For comparison, I just got me a filipina gf less than two weeks ago. Last weekend she stayed over and the next day, first we went shopping, $800 of stuff for my appartment. Afterwards, while I spent many hours playing the new ps4 games I had bought, she spent them in the kitchen, cooking, cleaning, washing, doing laundry and (re)organizing everything. I didn't ask for this, she just does it. Then we fucked, we took a bath (she gave me a sponge bath), followed by a nice massage with the massage oil we just bought and a bj to top it off. Then she went home as she had to work early the next morning. You just can't find a european woman who'd do all that.
    100% truth in this post. The bold is the crux of the matter for a lot of reasons.
    I need to move to the Philippines.
    ongies gonna ong
    How in the fuck is occupying two seats of a tube train a criminal offence?

Jesus you people need a revolution like I need a woman.
    ongies gonna ong
    Unchecked feminism has led to over 1,400 summons in New York for men sitting down "incorrectly"

http://rt.com/usa/263473-nyc-subway-...ading-arrests/
    Nah, its bs. It seems like this entire story stems from the PROP report, but the quoted passage doesnt actually exist within that report. Add to it that the article only comes from non-credible sources, and its likely not true.

There was a different case in the report where a man was arrested for occupying two seats, but this wasnt a case of 'manspreading', rather he was sleeping on the train. Those kind of things are often criminalized as cities attempt to combat homelessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    Nah, its bs. It seems like this entire story stems from the PROP report, but the quoted passage doesnt actually exist within that report. Add to it that the article only comes from non-credible sources, and its likely not true.

There was a different case in the report where a man was arrested for occupying two seats, but this wasnt a case of 'manspreading', rather he was sleeping on the train. Those kind of things are often criminalized as cities attempt to combat homelessness.
    I'm gonna like having a lawyer on the force.
    Do any of you guys actually think it's acceptable for a person to be criminalised for falling asleep on a train?
    ongies gonna ong
    I mean fucking hell this is oppressive shit.

You can't take up two seats. You can't sleep. Can you look around or is that going to intimidate someone to the point of it being criminal too?
    ongies gonna ong
    Do any of you guys actually think it's acceptable for a person to be criminalised for falling asleep on a train?
    I think anti-homlessness laws are completely absurd, and a pull away from what it means to be a human. Its also disgusting from a legal perspective, since many of these laws criminalize good deeds. For example, Florida had a law (still has?) that resulted in the arrest of a priest for feeding the homeless. Crimes should be those actions that disgust society, that are so reprehensible that their performance justifies a loss of liberty. But feeding the homeless? Loitering in a park after hours? Sleeping on trains? I get that homelessness is a problem, but criminalizing it only creates a permanent homelessness cycle.

Become homeless --> get arrested for being homeless --> get a criminal record --> never get a job again --> perpetually stay homeless

--------------

On an unrelated note, I just got a SmartTV. I had a strong view that all these "apps" and shit were a complete waste of space, and just a reason for tv people to jack up prices. But...I actually like them now. It takes me only 3 seconds to get to netflix now, whereas it took me about 20 seconds before. The apps themselves run faster through the tv version than from my consouls, and avoid all that "find the app" nonsense I had to do before. I like it.
    Become homeless --> get arrested for being homeless --> get a criminal record --> never get a job again --> perpetually stay homeless
    Yeah this is exactly what I was building up to. It's not a solution, it just makes the problem worse.
    ongies gonna ong

Not likely true eh http://nypost.com/2015/01/14/subway-...me-bro-riders/
    I think anti-homlessness laws are completely absurd, and a pull away from what it means to be a human. Its also disgusting from a legal perspective, since many of these laws criminalize good deeds. For example, Florida had a law (still has?) that resulted in the arrest of a priest for feeding the homeless. Crimes should be those actions that disgust society, that are so reprehensible that their performance justifies a loss of liberty. But feeding the homeless? Loitering in a park after hours? Sleeping on trains? I get that homelessness is a problem, but criminalizing it only creates a permanent homelessness cycle.

--------------

On an unrelated note, I just got a SmartTV. I had a strong view that all these "apps" and shit were a complete waste of space, and just a reason for tv people to jack up prices. But...I actually like them now. It takes me only 3 seconds to get to netflix now, whereas it took me about 20 seconds before. The apps themselves run faster through the tv version than from my consouls, and avoid all that "find the app" nonsense I had to do before. I like it.
    Agree with all the homeless stuff.

As for smart TV's, yeah they rock-- but if you are in the market again in the near future (not sure how things will change beyond that) definitely look into getting a dumb TV and buying a roku3. The apps tend to be better because it's more universal. It's kind of like how apps come out for iPhones before android. Also, check out Plex Media Server if it's available for your smart TV. So much better than loading stuff on USB drives or whatever other nonsense.
    Im not speaking about the MTA's policy against manspreading; that part is credible. Its the summons, arrests, and other criminal aspects of it that is incredibly dubious.
    Last edited by JKDS; 05-31-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    Book 'em, JKids.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Also, check out Plex Media Server if it's available for your smart TV. So much better than loading stuff on USB drives or whatever other nonsense.
    Plex heh? Any delays or anything? I got a google chrome cast thingy a year and a half ago, and watching anything through that felt like I was back in the day of dial-up.
    Plex heh? Any delays or anything? I got a google chrome cast thingy a year and a half ago, and watching anything through that felt like I was back in the day of dial-up.
    I've had the loading bar pop up a few times during an episode once. Hasn't happened since, so I haven't thought to try and troubleshoot. Could be that my anti-virus started to scan, or who knows what. But generally I've had no issue streaming 720p (what HBO broadcasts in) avi's.
    Me too until I started using plex. Videostream app works well too from laptop to chromecast. And so does the chromecast app on android
    Homelessness is a major problem because shit is set up so that people who don't want to work get a disproportionate amount of help while those who can't work don't get enough and those who do want to work get the least.
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Was watching a youtube talk about how law and order could exist in stateless societies. Basically there wouldn't be prisons per se, but a lack of public property. Basically violent criminals would be pariahs who aren't allowed on anyone's property and have basically nowhere to go, so private 'prison' zones would emerge to allow them on their premises providing they follow a set of rules, work for them, etc. I would imagine something similar would exist for the homeless (lighter security obv).
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Was watching a youtube talk about how law and order could exist in stateless societies. Basically there wouldn't be prisons per se, but a lack of public property. Basically violent criminals would be pariahs who aren't allowed on anyone's property and have basically nowhere to go, so private 'prison' zones would emerge to allow them on their premises providing they follow a set of rules, work for them, etc. I would imagine something similar would exist for the homeless (lighter security obv).
    Criminals don't listen to laws, so why would they listen to private property owners?
    Criminals don't listen to laws, so why would they listen to private property owners?
    Because there would be security firms (i.e. the police) that would continually be arresting criminals and maintaining and enforcing the blacklists for their property owner clients.
    If all the property is privately owned, and nobody is willing to let a given criminal on their property, what happens?
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    If all the property is privately owned, and nobody is willing to let a given criminal on their property, what happens?
    He would have to choose between living in constant violation of the law or turning himself in. He would eventually end up in prison.
    How do people know if someone is a criminal? Shall we tattoo it on their forehead?
    ongies gonna ong
    Also, trespass in not a criminal offence. If you're on private property and not causing a breach of the peace, then there's nothing the police can do.

Well, that's the case here in the UK, anyway. I dunno about a nation where sitting on two seats of a tube can get you arrested.
    ongies gonna ong
    I don't want to pollute the random thread too much with this stuff. I just wanted to point out how a stateless society would likely do a better job with homeless people.

How do people know if someone is a criminal? Shall we tattoo it on their forehead?
    I'd imagine in post-information age world that tech would step up in this area. Non-invasive ID scanning technology would be cheap and ubiquitous and employed by property owners and security agents.

Also, trespass in not a criminal offence. If you're on private property and not causing a breach of the peace, then there's nothing the police can do.

Well, that's the case here in the UK, anyway. I dunno about a nation where sitting on two seats of a tube can get you arrested.
    Basically what it comes down to is that property owners should have the right to selectively deny access to their property for any reason they want, since it is their property. This goes for home owners as well as business owners. In practice, everyone might have differently strict or relaxed standards for who they allow on their premises. In particular, commercial properties need to weigh the need for a safe premises that is free of criminals with the need for new customers. They would likely allow a certain amount of bad reputation through their doors in accordance with the risk/reward thereof.
    If anyone wants to talk about this in depth, I recommend bumping the Market v. Government thread.
    Basically what it comes down to is that property owners should have the right to selectively deny access to their property for any reason they want, since it is their property.
    Well yeah I have every right to deny you access to my property. But you have the right to ignore me, and I do not have the right to physically remove you, and neither do the police, assuming you are not breaking the law.

I advocate anarchy, anyway. You can trespass if you want, there's nothing stopping you. Except my dogs and my gun.
    ongies gonna ong
    Well yeah I have every right to deny you access to my property. But you have the right to ignore me, and I do not have the right to physically remove you, and neither do the police, assuming you are not breaking the law.

I advocate anarchy, anyway. You can trespass if you want, there's nothing stopping you. Except my dogs and my gun.
    What? How is remaining in someone's private property against their will not in breach of the law?

Anyway your anarchy picture is basically what I described, only with more sophisticated implements than dogs/gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    What? How is remaining in someone's private property against their will not in breach of the law?
    Because it's trespass, which isn't illegal.
    ongies gonna ong